BattleTech 3050 ((Looking for new recruits!))

Started by Wargtass, November 15, 2012, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marie Reynolds

Hmm now I'm torn honestly the last time I played in a merc game unit cohesion did not happen and it just degraded into everyone killing each other. So I need to think about if I'm still going to apply so ill see how things develop

Blobbe

Quote from: TheHangedMan on November 16, 2012, 06:37:23 PM
What would make it more viable? Reducing weapons either way to free up space, but which would be better to increase: speed or armor?

Both, really. The armour is very thin, while the speed is quite slow. Most heavy 'Mechs move at 4/6, so you're going to be out-run by 'Mechs twice your weight, and your armour isn't going to last long under any attack.

For comparison, I'm going to give some quick stats on the canon 3049-era 35 ton 'Mechs. Note that when I list movement rates, It's in terms of walk-run-jump MP.

Firestarter - 6/9/6 - 5.5 tons armour
Jenner - 7/11/5 - 4 tons armour
Ostscout - 8/12/8 - 4.5 tons armour
Panther - 4/6/4 - 6.5 tons armour
Wolfhound - 6/9/0 - 7.5 tons armour

The Jenner is considered under-armoured and largely depends on its speed for protection, while the Wolfhound has the maximum armour for a 35-ton 'Mech.

Added to this, your 'Mech has a lot of tech in it that wouldn't be available in 3049; in fact, it couldn't be built beofre the 3070s. I don't know if SSW has an option for limiting technology, but if so, I'd suggest setting it to Level 1/Introductory (however they label it) to see what you would have. Either way, the AC/5 is a rather inefficient weapon for a 35 ton 'Mech; at 8 tons before ammo, it's going to eat up a lot of your weight. Also, you didn't get any ammo for your Streak SRM

Being fair, if you're not familar with the system and world, you probably don't want to design your own 'Mech from day one. Personally, I'd suggest looking at canon designs via the links I posted. And if you're after something in specific or traits you want in a 'Mech, feel free to ask and I can suggest something.

TheHangedOne

I did browse through some of the models on the wiki, but kept thinking "I don't like this feature," or "that feature on this one would be awesome" and "Could I just swap that one gun for something else?". Which is why I wanted to build something from scratch. It (and your feedback) also helps me to get a better understanding of things.

Sadly, I don't really learn new systems through anything but tinkering.  That said, I think I'm going to just build something along the lines of a Panther, but just with a different set of equipment.

Mech

Gloomy

Mass: 35 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Tournament Legal
Era: Succession Wars
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-F-E
Production Year: 3049
Cost: 4,845,060 C-Bills
Battle Value: 670

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 175 Fusion XL Engine
Walking Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets: Unknown
    Jump Capacity: 120 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor w/ CASE
Armament:
    1  Autocannon/2
    1  Streak SRM-2
    1  Machine Gun
    1  Beagle Active Probe
    1  Anti-Missile System
    1  Guardian ECM Suite
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                    58 points                2.00
    Internal Locations: 1 HD, 2 CT, 3 LT, 3 RT, 3 LA, 2 RA
Engine:             XL Fusion Engine             175                       3.50
    Walking MP: 5
    Running MP: 8
    Jumping MP: 4 Standard
    Jump Jet Locations: 2 LL, 2 RL                                         2.00
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             11                        1.00
    Heat Sink Locations: 2 LT, 1 RT, 1 RA
Gyro:               Standard                                               2.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV -  96                  6.00
    CASE Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT                                             1.00

Internal       Armor     
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     11           13       
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  4         
                                           L/R Torso     8            13       
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  3         
                                             L/R Arm     6            8         
                                             L/R Leg     8            11       

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guardian ECM Suite                           RT        0         2         1.50
Beagle Active Probe                          LT        0         2         1.50
Streak SRM-2                                 RA        2         1         1.50
Autocannon/2                                 LA        1         1         6.00
Anti-Missile System                          LA        1         1         0.50
Machine Gun                                  LA        0         1         0.50
@Streak SRM-2 (50)                           RA        -         1         1.00
@AC/2 (45)                                   LA        -         1         1.00
@Anti-Missile System (12)                    LA        -         1         1.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 6

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:      3    Points: 7
5/3j       1       1       1       0      1     0   Structure:  2
Special Abilities: PRB, RCN, AMS, ECM, CASE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Branwen

I've always liked these 'Mechs.  Not especially because of their capabilities, but because of how they look.  They're just shiny!

Marauder
Locust
BattleMaster

All but the middle one are probably impractical to have to begin with though.  :)  I also wouldn't mind playing a technician or other support person if needed.

Blobbe

Earnestly, you probably want to play a round or two of the board game to get an idea of how it works and the mechanics behind it to get an idea of how things work and the like. Also, again I'm not that sure how much of that tech woulds be available in 3049.

Not trying to be a downer, just trying to figure out what you're looking for and how to get there. is there anything specific you're after?

Wargtass

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 16, 2012, 10:15:26 PM
Hmm now I'm torn honestly the last time I played in a merc game unit cohesion did not happen and it just degraded into everyone killing each other. So I need to think about if I'm still going to apply so ill see how things develop

Unit cohesion is up to the lance-leaders to maintain and "teamkilling" is unacceptable. Such individuals can look for another game to join.

Quote from: KaylaM on November 17, 2012, 06:19:58 AM
Both, really. The armour is very thin, while the speed is quite slow. Most heavy 'Mechs move at 4/6, so you're going to be out-run by 'Mechs twice your weight, and your armour isn't going to last long under any attack.

For comparison, I'm going to give some quick stats on the canon 3049-era 35 ton 'Mechs. Note that when I list movement rates, It's in terms of walk-run-jump MP.

Firestarter - 6/9/6 - 5.5 tons armour
Jenner - 7/11/5 - 4 tons armour
Ostscout - 8/12/8 - 4.5 tons armour
Panther - 4/6/4 - 6.5 tons armour
Wolfhound - 6/9/0 - 7.5 tons armour

The Jenner is considered under-armoured and largely depends on its speed for protection, while the Wolfhound has the maximum armour for a 35-ton 'Mech.

Added to this, your 'Mech has a lot of tech in it that wouldn't be available in 3049; in fact, it couldn't be built beofre the 3070s. I don't know if SSW has an option for limiting technology, but if so, I'd suggest setting it to Level 1/Introductory (however they label it) to see what you would have. Either way, the AC/5 is a rather inefficient weapon for a 35 ton 'Mech; at 8 tons before ammo, it's going to eat up a lot of your weight. Also, you didn't get any ammo for your Streak SRM

Being fair, if you're not familar with the system and world, you probably don't want to design your own 'Mech from day one. Personally, I'd suggest looking at canon designs via the links I posted. And if you're after something in specific or traits you want in a 'Mech, feel free to ask and I can suggest something.

Quote from: TheHangedMan on November 17, 2012, 06:29:28 AM
I did browse through some of the models on the wiki, but kept thinking "I don't like this feature," or "that feature on this one would be awesome" and "Could I just swap that one gun for something else?". Which is why I wanted to build something from scratch. It (and your feedback) also helps me to get a better understanding of things.

Sadly, I don't really learn new systems through anything but tinkering.  That said, I think I'm going to just build something along the lines of a Panther, but just with a different set of equipment.

Don't put too much weight on stats. As said this is freeform, not a game of BattleTech. Emphasis is put more on description of action than actual stats. Those can be rounded down to a simple guideline, like "Slow heavily armored hard-hitter" for an Atlas or "Fast flanking hitter" for a Dragon. I don't want to bog the general enjoyment and writability down with a whole bunch of stats stats to follow vigorously. The action should flow more like one of the novels than a battle report.

As such I'd rather not see custom designs because a) customs relies heavily on stats for description, and b) the iconic models of the universe are easier to imagine and write for in general because they are recognizable. Weapons and modules are generally very swap-friendly on the different chassis. As said, tell us what you want and we can recommend something for you.

Quote from: KaylaM on November 17, 2012, 07:05:23 AM
Earnestly, you probably want to play a round or two of the board game to get an idea of how it works and the mechanics behind it to get an idea of how things work and the like.

Again, not looking for a down-to-the-rules game here. Emphasis on story and action, not the mechanics of the game. I would recommend playing one of the video games over playing the board game, since it gives the general idea of 'Mech-design and the universe rather than an understanding for the game mechanics.

Quote from: Branwen on November 17, 2012, 07:02:11 AM
I've always liked these 'Mechs.  Not especially because of their capabilities, but because of how they look.  They're just shiny!

Marauder
Locust
BattleMaster

All but the middle one are probably impractical to have to begin with though.  :)  I also wouldn't mind playing a technician or other support person if needed.

Not sure if the Marauder is available to the Inner Sphere at the moment. I do believe it's a Clan-mech, but I might be wrong on that, hard to tell these days.

What's impractical or not isn't really an issue, not aiming for a system, just what each player wants to have within reason. The Battlemaster is rare, but I would totally allow one on the company.
O/O

Branwen

All the ones I listed are in the original, pre-lawsuit 3025 Technical Readout.  They were all part of the original game.  :)  Honestly though, I'm just happy to hear there's a possibility of a game.  I'll pilot or fix or cook whatever you hand me and like it.

Wargtass

Quote from: Branwen on November 17, 2012, 07:29:03 AM
All the ones I listed are in the original, pre-lawsuit 3025 Technical Readout.  They were all part of the original game.  :)  Honestly though, I'm just happy to hear there's a possibility of a game.  I'll pilot or fix or cook whatever you hand me and like it.

Well in that case feel free to pick one out. I do believe they have all been reseen, so go right ahead.  ;D
O/O

Branwen

No, no.  If you let me do that, I'll be like a greedy little mouse.  I'd rather everyone else get what they want, see how things shape up, then fill in something you think we need or want.  Really.  It's very awesome of you do offer that though!  You're the best.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: KaylaM on November 17, 2012, 07:05:23 AM
Earnestly, you probably want to play a round or two of the board game to get an idea of how it works and the mechanics behind it to get an idea of how things work and the like. Also, again I'm not that sure how much of that tech woulds be available in 3049.

Not trying to be a downer, just trying to figure out what you're looking for and how to get there. is there anything specific you're after?
I set the builder to limit tech to everything before 3050 (so 3049 and back), so all the tech should be available (if the thing works right).

Basically, what I want is a scout mech that won't be a liability when the real fighting starts; something that can at least beat back aggressors, if not being offensively designed.

Again, not looking for a down-to-the-rules game here. Emphasis on story and action, not the mechanics of the game. I would recommend playing one of the video games over playing the board game, since it gives the general idea of 'Mech-design and the universe rather than an understanding for the game mechanics.
I played and beat MechWarrior 2. Honestly, I probably spent more time designing mechs than actually fighting.
Check out my poet tree!

Blobbe

Quote from: TheHangedMan on November 17, 2012, 07:54:56 AM
Basically, what I want is a scout mech that won't be a liability when the real fighting starts; something that can at least beat back aggressors, if not being offensively designed.
I played and beat MechWarrior 2. Honestly, I probably spent more time designing mechs than actually fighting.

While MW2 uses the same construction rules as the board game (more or less) the combat functions a lot differently.

As for "Scout that can fight", I can throw a few suggestions out there; Commando, Javelin, Valkyrie, Jenner and Assassin immediately come to mind.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Wargtass

Quote from: TheHangedMan on November 17, 2012, 08:14:27 AM
Could I play a character piloting a VLK-QD?

Sure thing, it's a well balanced scout. with some long range capacity.
O/O

Blobbe

Works for me; the VLK-QD Valkyrie would be readily available in the timeframe. It's a good choice for a "scout that fights" too, as its LRMs will out-range most other light 'Mechs.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Lady Quixote

so I'm definitely interested in this game, I've been a BT fan since the 90's (although have fallen out some in recent years).  especially if we're mercs vs clans (a sub set of the Kell hounds maybe?...or I think the Wolf's Dragoons were sub-contracting Merc units from Outreach at this time), and if you are doing two lances that kind of pins you to being in the inner sphere (since stars are five mechs, or 25 elemental, or 10 fighters...or some other combination of the three).

I'd like a Marauder if available, it's my favorite...especially in the pre-3050 refit time (the Penetrator and NightStar are also great mechs).

Also for those talking about LAMs they were officially in the original 3025 book (complete with background and fiction...like the one pilot who captured an entire dropship when it was captured in fighter mode and then transformed), plus the original Crescent Hawk games had a Pheonix Hawk LAM as a main mech.  I can't remember if they were mentioned in any of the books (at least the ones I've read).  The problem is that they are way more fragile than either a Mech or Aerospace fighter.

Fighting scouts, don't forget the Panther...the lightest PPC carrying 3025 mech.  The Raven is also another good one, with LRMs and a decent speed (what the Panther lacks).  (edit...oops the Raven doens't have any LRMs, what was I thinking...)

Matt

SatanKlaus

The armored Jenner (F-Model) is one of the best fighting scouts. It's fast and it's tough, so taking it down is surprisingly hard, considering its only a light mech. That said, seeing that IS2 technology is available that broadens the options considerably.

Satan_Klaus

Wargtass

Not going for the LAMs here though, as I said, they don't really fit in my opinion and they certainly don't unless there is a full Lance of them.

I'm going to update the first post shortly with premise and Character/Mech Sheet.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Lots of talk overnight.

So I hoping to be an Assault mech pilot, if no one minds. Atlases are overdone, so I'm looking at a King Crab. An old, practically antique King Crab, to match the sort of weary, worn veteran Mechwarrior I have in mind. Maybe it's a centerpiece of the merc group (if we're a grand and successful bunch) or an old relic that barely pays for its own parts and ammo, but is too much of a memory to scrap (if we're down-on-our-luck scrabblers).

Wargtass

You are making me very self-conscious about my choice of Mech here, Glyph...  :P

Sheets almost done, I'm trying to juggle this thread and MWO at the same time, my Lance-mates are not very understanding.  ;D
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Don't get me wrong, the Atlas is awesome. But because it's so awesome, everyone I've seen in a Mech RP who drives an Assault-class always wants the Atlas, to the point where it's practically a stereotype. I blame it for being so awesome. :D

Lady Quixote

See that's why I like the Nightstar, same assault class grouping with half the calories...but's it's a lost Star League era mech (makes it back by 3058), and in the pnp game it's heat neutral with a good punch of damage.  Plus it's got the body style as a Marauder without being sue worthy...(the stalkers also underrated in my opinion)

If you've ever read the famous pilots section for the Atlas in the original 3025 they mention one pilot who apparently quite large and they joke about the Atlas being the only mech to support him.

Matt

Wargtass

Sheets are up. I'm putting my cents on either an Atlas or Highlander for now.
O/O

TheHangedOne

Okay. Entirely not sure what to put for homeworld at the moment. Any help?
Pilot

Name: Ivan Demchak
Sex:  Male
BattleMech: Valkyrie (VLK-QD variant)
Homeworld: Alexandria
Original Faction: Steiner

Description: About 5'10 and 200 pounds, with muscular legs, but otherwise a normal build. Short brown hair, smooth-shaved facial hair. Brown eyes.

Background: Not born into a noble family, he nonetheless ended up joining the military, hoping to rise the ranks, and further help his House to ascend to greater heights of power.

While in the service, he saw how unfairly people were treated; he was also personally overlooked for promotions, at times, simply because someone else was born from a higher family than his own. Especially when they were incompetent, it made him angry; one of the few things that could make him lose his cool.

He eventually was discharged for conduct and violation of his commanding officer's orders. Afterwards, he turned to mercenary companies as a means of gainful employment.

Personality: A stalwart stoic, he can be quite taciturn at times. Operates best when he has some amount of leeway and freedom of action when it comes to carrying out tasks.

Speciality Skills: Likes to study philosophy, and is a rather accomplished, self-taught cook.

BattleMech Characteristics

Chassis: Corean Model 1AA
Weight Class: Light
Callsign: Gloom
Description: Night camouflage paint job.

Loadout:
LRM-10
Medium Pulse Laser
Remote Sensor Dispenser

Modules:
Artemis IV Guidance System

Upgrades: Ferro-fibrous armor, endo-steel skeleton

General Armor Values: medium armor
Check out my poet tree!

Wargtass

Just read some fluff which made up my mind. I'm aiming for a Highlander.
O/O