Rebooting the world - Profiles and Plot (updated)

Started by cassia, July 18, 2010, 07:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cassia

NOTE: This RP is currently closed to new characters. It will open again soon once it gets off the ground and some character-created plot is in place to avoid confusion and initial characters falling through the cracks with a large number of participants. If you would like to join sooner, please PM me. This note will be updated when new profiles can be accepted directly through the OOC thread. Characters currently in the game are listed at the bottom of this post with the page on which his/her profile is found.

Main Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=76374.0

The Plot

No, the world didn't end in December of 2012. Not exactly. Life went on as normal, winter in the northern hemisphere and summer in the southern; the 2012-2013 H1N1 strain of influenza made its rounds, but was no more dangerous than the seasonal flu. A mutant strain, called Type S for its slow spread, surfaced, infecting only a handful of young people throughout the United States before disappearing, eclipsed by its faster and more well-established cousin.

On January 14, 2013, a third strain suddenly developed in the Midwest. A businessman returned from Europe, not knowing that he had been infected with avian flu, and when he fell ill, this virus combined ith the existing H1N1 he caught upon return to produce a highly contagious and deadly new virus. Those infected with the new virus - dubbed H1D6 shortly after it claimed its first victims - had no symptoms during the two-week incubation period, but were shedding viruses throughout the second week. Then came the fever and chills, and the coughing fits, and shortly thereafter, the massive hemorrhaging.

Riots began at the end of the month, but were short-lived. H1D6 had spread throughout the world, and had a fatality rate of 100%. No known survivors of that strain exist anywhere, though there may be some small, isolated groups that never had contact with the virus in remote parts of the world. Hopefully for them, the virus didn't spread to other species and remain active instead of dying out, but there are no more laboratories open to test this theory. And because H1D6 shared a few extra structural similarities with H1N1 type S, the dozen or so who came down with Type S first were immune to H1D6 and survived the pandemic.

This RP is for the few who made it out alive. 6+ players to begin, and due to the nature of the plot, new characters could join at any time - they would be newcomers to the small group that is gathering together. The RP begins on February 15, 2013 (in-game; out of game, whenever we get enough characters.)

Notes
-Cars still work, and will work as long as you can get fresh-enough gasoline into them and they don't break down past the point of repair.
-There is no electricity, unless someone in the group rigs up a small generator. You also don't have Internet access or telephone service, though you can easily obtain paper-based books and magazines that are already printed.
-No open hospitals, either, so think carefully before having your character be near-mortally injured. Stealing supplies and medication is possible - you can get antiseptics to clean wounds if someone is willing to raid a corpse-ridden clinic or hospital, for instance, but there's no ER surgeon with fancy equipment to put you back together.
-There's no police force, either.
-Perishables are already spoiled unless they were wrapped up and in the far North in the snow. Non-perishable foods, depending on the food, may still be good for months to years.

Guidelines
-Characters are 16-30 years old.
-No killing other characters without the player's permission. Your character can try, if it's in-character for him/her to do that, but must fail.
-There is no concrete post length limit, as there may be rare times when short posts are most appropriate, but please don't make a habit of making 1-sentence posts.
-All characters are human and none have superpowers.
-Because of the slow spread and poor contagion of H1N1 Type S, characters will have had some contact with at least one other character. They don't have to be aware of it or know each other well - sitting next to each other on an airplane and accidentally drinking from the other's cup is enough. This can be arranged in this OOC thread.

Character Profile
Name:
Personality:

You don't have to use that exact form, but include enough information about your character that others can interact with him/her. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Current Characters:
Anne-Sophie Goulet, 24, female (anne sophie, page 1)
Alison Bailey, 19, female (cassia, page 1)
Adam Bergon, 21, male (PeacethatPowerbrings, page 1)
Kathy Sinclair, 18, female (elfguy, page 1)
Al Michaels, 21, male (Capsarc, page 1)
Samuel Thompson, 20, male (Snark, page 1)
Steven Hernandez, 24, male (Kaizen, page 1)
Hayley Sharp, 19, female (Rachubka, page 1)

OldSchoolGamer

PeacethatPowerbrings

Yeah, definately interesting. One thing though, H1N6 is Influenza A.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

anne sophie

could be cool, good potential.

Character Profile
Name: Anne-Sophie Goulet
Physical description: 5'7" long brown straigh hair, brown eyes, tanned, about 130 pounds
Personality: shy and kind of nerdish, she trains allot runing often and biking allot, she has various knowledge, as always ready to help. She wont go
                    toward people but she will be of good company if someone goes to her.
Sexual orientation: is bi but she does not know it yet...

Anne-Sophie is french speaking

If you need some more info contact me

I forgot...here are my O/O and my rabbit hole
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75815.0
http://rh.greydawn.net/browse.php?c=Anne%20Sophie

DreamlandDenizen

I'm in. I'll post my character sheet tommorow.

cassia

Thanks, Peace - I altered the name and hopefully this time it will be unique.

I hope this RP takes off well and that everyone playing has fun with it!

I'll start with my character's profile here to break the ice:

Name: Alison Bailey
Physical description: At 5'6" and about 130 pounds, Alison doesn't look too far out of the ordinary. She's pretty, in the girl-next-door way, with long, straight blonde hair and blue eyes. She tends to burn with too much sun exposure, but can tan a little bit if she's careful.
Personality
: Still hasn't quite come to terms with recent events, and deals with it in the short-term by taking care of immediate problems like keeping stores of food and water, and then with escapism. It's not like it's hard to find alcohol and mindless reading now, but she avoids going into towns. She was a college student, and considers her studies put off, not discontinued permanently, even though rationally she knows that she won't be going back. She's wary of anybody she doesn't know, and has a tendency to trust those she does a little bit too much. Right now shes staying with a few other people in a large abandoned farmhouse. It's modern, with four bedrooms, but many of the appliances are now not working.
Sexual orientation: Straight, but bi-curious.

PeacethatPowerbrings

Not unique, but you did get more obscure, its a variety of campylobacter now, I'm fairly sure.

Name: Adam Bergon
Physical description:Lean but muscular at 6'2 and almost 200 pounds. He has short, messy blonde hair, and green eyes.
Personality:Fairly easy going, especially in light of what happened. Quite rational, and very much cheery under the most dire of situations. He had a tendecy to tinker, though that trait has served him well in the world as it is now, as he is more than capable of keeping himself on the road.
Sexual orientation: Bi-sexual.

cassia

It figures.  :-\ Thanks for joining! When we have 4 more we can begin.

PeacethatPowerbrings

I just find it funny that with the system of classifying diseases on that scale, you can pretty much punch it into a random number generator and come up with something that already exists.

Capsarc

Name: Al Michaels
Physical description: A tall, powerfully built black man with the effects of middle age falling on his frame, his hair turned prematurely gray.
Personality: Sullen and withdrawn, having been a doctor during the cataclysm and seeing its effects firsthand on his family, on his wife and children. But to anybody who gets past his exterior, he's just as much of a father and a healer as he had ever been, and he still roams the wasteland looking to help as many people as he can.
Sexual orientation: Straight

cassia

Added, Anne-Sophie.

Capsarc, would you mind editing your profile a little? I'm trying to avoid people creating characters who have been in any of the important businesses for long periods of time, and the guidelines stated the characters are 16-30. We can stretch that a little, since it's mostly an experience cap, but if you want a doctor character, he's in his late 20s or very early 30s and hadn't finished medical school all that long ago.

elfguy

Name: Kathy Sinclair

Appearance:

Personality: Kathy is playful and very open minded, social, and loves to pitch in and chat with people, meeting new friends and such. She is also fairly open to her own sexuality, and will have casual sex with friends, although she is not into any hardcore dom/sub kinks. She went to college when the epidemy struck, training to be a gym teacher, and while it brought her mood down, she tries to stay positive through it all.

Sexual orientation: Bi
----

Capsarc

Quote from: cassia on July 19, 2010, 05:46:51 AM
Capsarc, would you mind editing your profile a little? I'm trying to avoid people creating characters who have been in any of the important businesses for long periods of time, and the guidelines stated the characters are 16-30. We can stretch that a little, since it's mostly an experience cap, but if you want a doctor character, he's in his late 20s or very early 30s and hadn't finished medical school all that long ago.

Whoops. Sorry, I must have missed that.  :-[ Lemmie think up a new concept and get back to you.

Snark

Capsarc

Take 2!

Name: Al Michaels
Physical description: A tall, powerfully built black man with a scar running down his face and a missing eye, covered with surgical gauze.
Personality: Sullen and withdrawn, having been a pre-med student during the cataclysm and pushed into a working at hospital as actual doctors and nurses died from the disease. He was the oldest child in a large family, and he had to watch as his parents every one of his younger siblings fell, leaving him the last of his family. But to anybody who gets past his exterior, he's just as much of a big brother as he ever was, and he still roams the wasteland looking to help as many people as he can.
Sexual orientation: Straight (may change)

How does that work?

cassia

Characters so far:
Anne-Sophie Goulet (anne sophie)
Alison Bailey (cassia)
Adam Bergon (PeacethatPowerbrings)
Kathy Sinclair (elfguy)
Al Michaels (Capsarc)

Yes, Snark. We don't have to have exacty 6 to start; that's only a minimum. If a few more players sign up, that's great, and any closure to new characters would be temporary while the RP is starting up. It would be easy for new characters to wander in at any time once the RP is up and running.

elfguy

4 girls 2 guys so far.. 2 more guys and we would have like the perfect crew :)
----

Capsarc

I dunno, I kinda like the ratio as it is. ;)

Snark

Name: Samuel  Thompson
Physical description: Tall with a slight tan, and long shaggy dirty blond hair. He had piercing bright blue eyes.
Personality: He was an ordinary college student up until the near end of the world happened. He'd lost everything. His family and friends, everyone he knew and loved! But... so had everyone else who was still around.  So he tried to keep his old attitude, Happy, optimistic, kind, though he was sad at times, when he was reminded of what he no longer had.
Sexual orientation: Straight

cassia

3 and 3 now. I'm going to leave this open until Thursday morning, unless there are too many new characters sooner.

Also, if you want your characters to already know each other in some way, feel free to work that out ahead of time - nobody will know everyone else at the start, and you can choose not to have any pre-existing ties, but one or two is fine.

We'll be starting this out in the Light - Small Groups area. If you have a strong preference for non-con, bondage, or anything else that would take it out of the Light forums, let me know and if everyone agrees, we'll start on that forum instead. This doesn't mean that those activities are mandatory; all OOC limits will be respected and you are free to play light themes only even if the threads are held elsewhere.

Rachubka

Name: Hayley Sharp

Physical description: Standing at about 5'5" and somewhere around 125, Hayley walks about with a light, small step on this Earth. Living a life of athletics, she is in fairly good shape for someone her age and because of her upbringing, she is quite the fan of putting her chestnut brown hair into ponytails and headbands. The young girl views the world through deep brown eyes, and her sun-kissed skin is so hot it'll melt you popsicle rarely ever burns.

Personality: Hayley is bright, being in college for the last couple of years. Her studies were more along the lines of kinesiology and not world ending pandemics, unfortunately. What her education has taught her to do, however, is to take care of one's body and in a world where no one will sell you a double bacon cheeseburger and fries that contain your daily intake of sodium, it's not that hard. To calm herself in times of stress, she thinks about what she had last eaten and the sort of impact it would have on her body. Hayley's very outgoing, as her studies allowed her the time and space to mingle amongst other teens in her school.

Sexual orientation: Hayley is not opposed to either sex. She'll turn to boys when she feels vulnerable and to girls when she's really in the mood for sweet words and soft skin.

cassia

Kaizen and Rachubka, both characters have been accepted.

The main post above is updated and linked to the first thread of the RP, which is open to all 8 of the current players to post in. Characters will gather in the farmhouse location, but they don't have to already be there or arrive at the same time. It's your choice how your character found out about it (Alison found a written note tacked to a bulletin board at her university, but doesn't know who left it, or if they're even coming.)

Jump in and post at any time!

elfguy

So I'm wondering if we should all meet up at some location, or maybe some people meet with some others? Right now Kathy is in a medium sized town somewhere, she could use some moral support from meeting somebody :P
----

Snark

Quote from: elfguy on July 22, 2010, 03:42:44 PM
So I'm wondering if we should all meet up at some location, or maybe some people meet with some others? Right now Kathy is in a medium sized town somewhere, she could use some moral support from meeting somebody :P
I was thinking we were all supposed to meet at the farm before moving on.... Right? Or am I the one whose getting confused?

elfguy

Ya but she doesn't have a ride, being a college student, maybe someone could drive in front of the school and see her siting on the steps, get her onboard?
----