Sword Art Redux (Seeking F Characters for Group Balance)

Started by Daril, July 13, 2013, 10:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Golden Touch

The hubby has Premium, so I got to skip the commercials. >:) Oddly, I found the second series more fun- but I do like Fae in relation to a concept of a full body immersion game.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

pendarious

personally I preferred Sword Art Online (the first half of the anime)        to Fairy Dance (second half) but I did enjoy Fairy Dance. Though I'm hoping they do actually get the green light for Phantom Bullet and Mothers Rosario (volumes 5-7 of the light novels) to animate....Phantom Bullet is hilarious and awesome at the same time.....Mothers Rosario is a bit depressing though....
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

apygoos

AribethAmkiir

anyone able to suggest a model/pic for a female character?

Daril

What kind of character were you planning on playing?

AribethAmkiir

Trying to figure out what the group needs.  I don't want to compete against Asuna, but I'm tempted to take a rapier.  Suggestions?

Daril

Well Asuna isn't exactly a player character, so a rapier should be okay if that's the route you want to go.  Maybe add a buckler or something at some point in the future if you want to be a bit more unique.

A basic one handed sword is also an option if you want to go that route.  Plus there's weapons that haven't been considered yet like maces.  :P  Though that might not be your style. (Though I find the idea of some little girl with a high strength stat bashing the hell out of things with a mace or warhammer kind of hilarious.)

Keep in mind that characters don't have to be entirely combat oriented either.  Some of the characters could be blacksmiths and merchants after the skip to level two (actually you might want to clear that one with Pendarious first to be safe).

AribethAmkiir

I know Asuna isn't a PC.  What I meant by "compete against" was I didn't want people to see my character and compare her to Asuna.  That's all.

Little girl with a mace isn't really my style, but I agree it is pretty funny.  I'll browse through the link you gave me and see if I find anything that sparks my muse.

Thanks.

AribethAmkiir

Screen name: Ryouko
Real Life Appearance

Personality: Ryouko tries to be a perfectionist.  She's always been driven and has studied hard to gain the approval of her parents.  Gaming, however, has been the one outlet she's allowed herself over the years.  Because of this, she's extremely outgoing, friendly, and compassionate; and has a decent knowledge of how most games work. 

Floor: 1

Level: 1

HP: 1000

Equipment:

Iron Rapier
Iron Buckler

Cotton Shirt
Leather Skirt
Leather Vest
Leather Sandals

Skills:

One-Handed Rapier: 0/1000
Parry: 0/1000

One-handed Rapier Skills:

Linear (1-hit strike) - The first rapier skill learned that delivers a single thrust at the enemy at a great speed

pendarious

ok I approve though I don't see why people add an avatar pic since the majority of the game they look like themselves......
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

AribethAmkiir

That's what I thought the mirror did, but I saw people posting an avatar picture so I just followed.  For my character, I guess you'd just have to kind of blend the two pictures a bit.  *shrugs*

Silk

Because although the face will change, the equipment and clothing would still be relevant in the game.

pendarious

*looks at the last two posts* uh....yeah I guess...*sweatdrop* I am kinda notorious for missing small details like those......

Daril

We could probably use a couple more players, but I think its getting to be about time we started discussing who is going to meet whom on Floor 2.

Speaking of Floor 2, I know we need to be a little careful about the overall number of threads since we plan to do level skips in the future, but I think it would be a good idea to split Floors 1 and 2 into separate threads.  That way those of us who have posted our character's reactions to Kayaba's announcement can move on to Level 2 but new players will still have a chance to post their character's reactions.  (I'm also still holding out hope that I can convince Pendarious to split characters profiles and OOC discussion into separate threads since I think that would be a good idea as well.)

apygoos

pendarious

I'm not splitting the character and OOC threads because I believe it's easier to keep track of things and it's less thread clutter. I'm not separating floors 1 and 2 for the exact same reason. I have a policy of something called Organized Chaos though it may drive you nuts as far as i'm concerned everything has it's own general location and as long as we know what the general location is we can find it quickly enough no? so here's how the threads are going to be (as far as I have any plans for)

Characters and OOC are one thread (when I bother to go back through it I'll copy everyone's sheets into the first post)

Floors 1 and 2 will remain one thread

Floors  3-4

Floor 5

Floors 8-9

Floors 10-11

Floors 14-15

Floor 18

More information will come as the game  goes on.

as apygoos said we'll just use time and location tags to distinguish where everyone is.

Charlemagne

I never really lost interest in this, and it seems like more people joined, so perhaps I'll make a character after all.

I still like 1x1 games the best, and am kinda timid towards group games, but I rewatched SAO again this weekend and it kinda made me want to join in on this again.

Daril

The problem with doing OOC and Character Profiles together is what happens if newcomers want to join later on.  Its one thing if we're all on Page One, but quite another if we've got profiles scattered through ten or twenty pages.  Also copying everyone's profiles into the first post isn't a good idea because people will need to update the profiles as their characters level up.  Its gong to be very awkward if we can't edit them ourselves, because then we'll need to ask you to make changes to that post every time we update our profiles.  :P

I was thinking there are two possible ways we could approach Floor threads:

A) The threads represent geographic locations.  Players must switch threads when their characters move to other floors..
B) The threads represent time periods, with the Floor in the thread title indicating the current "frontline" floor.  Players could switch floors within a thread and would just use location tags to keep track of where they were.

I personally favor B but I'm not the boss here.

Charlemagne

Player (Real world identity): Okayama Daisuke

Screen Name: Dice

Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Ingame Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Personality and Background: Daisuke is, quite simply, as average as a young man can be. He passed all of his courses throughout school without a hitch, but he wasn't top of the class. He had a girlfriend before he started University courses, but while her grades dropped and his soared above them, they became distant. On top of that, the young man began playing more and more video games, eventually buying himself Nervegear, which eventually took over the majority of his free time.

Since he was able to balance both his college courses, part time work, and the small social life he had, his parents trusted him enough to let him live alone in an apartment. As long as he kept up his grades, they'd pay for him to live there.

This led to him quitting his job and spending every night playing video games. Sure, in real life, he was kind, outgoing, and pretty social when he was around people he liked. But it was different in video games. He didn't join clans or guilds, and didn't really talk in chat with anyone. Why? Most people just bragged about items or stories that were only partially true. People just couldn't shut up about the items they looted, or the groups they raided with. It was just...

Annoying.

So his plan, when SAO launched, was to just enjoy the game by himself, avoid big groups, and only party up when it was required to beat a boss. Little did he know, that was going to be his curse.

In this new SAO, one where death was permanent, people would either be his worst enemy, or his savior.

Floor 1:

Level: 1

HP: 980 (1000)

Equipment:

Iron Longsword

Skills:

One Handed Sword: 0/1000 (Subject to Change)

Sword Skills:

Slant
Vertical
Rage Spike

This is just a very rough outline, I suppose. I just wanted to clear it with you all and see if I could post it in the OOC. I hope to ICly choose other abilities/talents, rather than set them in stone right now.

Silk

Well by subject to change with your chosen weapon. How do you mean? Will you trade out weapons later or just not 100% on your weapon choice yet?

Besides that, it seems pretty typical of a lot of characters, and as for the rest of the skills, I think I'm really the only one that's gone on a limb and picked a set early, mostly because of the jump the gun nature of my character.

Charlemagne

Well.

I want to eventually switch to a greatsword, but I don't know yet.

I'm just gonna wait to see if I'm accepted before I really do anything else.

Silk

Well Pend is going to be away for a few days, but I personally don't see an issue with it. And as for the switching out to a great sword, your not limited to a particular type of weapon. Just keep in mind that your skill would end up being lower than others who stick to one weapon type (Like mine will ultimately be lower because I'm using two weapon types (Dagger + throwing) Although depending how much people do in regards to combat in comparison to others will also likely effect how skilled you become in things.

Silk

I think your character will be ok, if pend has issue with it, just be prepared for ammendments :) No point keeping you out of the game longer than needed.