The Savage Isle - Pathfinder (aka D&D 3.75)

Started by Brandon, August 13, 2010, 07:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeviantMunster

That might be interesting. *Blinks* What did you have in mind?

JadeCore

Quote from: DeviantMunster on August 17, 2010, 07:23:46 PM
That might be interesting. *Blinks* What did you have in mind?

I don't know. One thing I was hoping for was something beyond the usual elves/human/half elves setup. One thought off the top of my head would be maybe something like the witch from Sword of Truth and her companion. That might be an interesting RP dynamic. Or to draw from Mass Effect 2, perhaps an inquisitor bound to a witch instead of a divine order. Maybe two witches (or a witch and another class) are each other's familiar.

On non-related levels, well... what kind of character did you want to play? What would bring that sort of character to a colony?

DeviantMunster

All interesting thoughts and ideas! Though I've momentarily taken them to PMs.

Hunter

Quote from: JadeCore on August 17, 2010, 07:36:07 PM
I don't know. One thing I was hoping for was something beyond the usual elves/human/half elves setup.

If you really want to get a bit over the deep end, I can always dig out Gilgamesh.  Something about a half red dragon/half troll paladin really brings out the ... quirks ... of the group.

DeviantMunster

That definitely sounds interesting! Though I fear Brandon, along with the original group from the first thread, decided against using anything but the three books. So no trolls/half-dragons for us. *Sniffle*

Brandon

2 points. 1) No new applications will be accepted. Only those who participated in the previous thread or sent me a PM or posted interest here before I cut them off will be accepted into the game at this phase in time. 2) Core races only. No bestiary races ever

You know theres always the ever under rated and highly adaptable half orc. No one ever seems to play them around here
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

JadeCore

Quote from: Hunter on August 17, 2010, 08:03:21 PM
If you really want to get a bit over the deep end, I can always dig out Gilgamesh.  Something about a half red dragon/half troll paladin really brings out the ... quirks ... of the group.

Not quirky for the sake of quirky. No offense but I don't really see that as terribly different other than shock value. I meant more like dwarves and more 'mundane' people that people don't seem to play much. Or playing someone that isn't aesthetically perfect or exotically attractive. Sometimes, a dwarf with a peg leg is far more interesting than a half-ithliad/half-dragon/half gelatinous cube/half minotaur who's a former blackguard turned paladin turned rogue.

Hunter

Quote from: JadeCore on August 17, 2010, 08:09:20 PM
Not quirky for the sake of quirky. No offense but I don't really see that as terribly different other than shock value. I meant more like dwarves and more 'mundane' people that people don't seem to play much. Or playing someone that isn't aesthetically perfect or exotically attractive. Sometimes, a dwarf with a peg leg is far more interesting than a half-ithliad/half-dragon/half gelatinous cube/half minotaur who's a former blackguard turned paladin turned rogue.

So...how DOES a gelatinous cube mate with a minotaur....   :o
(And, no, I've never seen a better tanking character made yet.  But I agree with Brandon.)

DeviantMunster

I always love dwarves. Always. But as for mundane... if someone wants to play that then it's fine. Yet even Brandon said not to decide "Ill just play a dwarf wizard." Playing a random, average human isn't always someone's cup of tea, especially in a game built on the ridiculous. I say bring on your "neko/demon/celestial/halfling!"

Err, well... in another game anyway! Simple is sometimes better. And you can still be different without having those +8 stats to say so.

JadeCore

Quote from: Hunter on August 17, 2010, 08:14:25 PM
So...how DOES a gelatinous cube mate with a minotaur....   :o
(And, no, I've never seen a better tanking character made yet.  But I agree with Brandon.)

It goes 'squish' 'squish' 'squish' 'squish' 'Glee!' 'pop' 'moo!'

Quote from: DeviantMunster on August 17, 2010, 08:20:41 PM
I always love dwarves. Always. But as for mundane... if someone wants to play that then it's fine. Yet even Brandon said not to decide "Ill just play a dwarf wizard." Playing a random, average human isn't always someone's cup of tea, especially in a game built on the ridiculous. I say bring on your "neko/demon/celestial/halfling!"

Err, well... in another game anyway! Simple is sometimes better. And you can still be different without having those +8 stats to say so.

Don't get me wrong, hodge-podge of race characters can work too. But they need just as much work to be interesting beyond the face value. :)

Tydorei

Hmm... we do have a lot of humans and spell casters. I could easily change a few things in my application. I wouldn't mind making my character into a dwarf caviler. Her background would be relatively the same, and a few changes to her personality and we get another front liner.

Or I can make a completely new character, an inquisitor who is a zealot determined to make her religion the primary one of city that comes out of the savage isle expedition. But that would just make another spell caster.

Hmm... decisions decisions...

DeviantMunster

It's not that big of a problem, don't feel pressured into changing things up. Besides, I -may- change my character, given Jade and I can think something up.

Chloe Milev

And if it's all spellcasters, then we work around that strategy of blowing everything up before it gets in melee, while I run around trying to distract them.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

grovercjuk

We seem to have a party that has a lot of weak melee characters with relatively poor offensive spells at this level. Thus I suggest that we work out how we can best combine our spells. 

JadeCore

Quote from: grovercjuk on August 18, 2010, 05:01:30 PM
   We seem to have a party that has a lot of weak melee characters with relatively poor offensive spells at this level. Thus I suggest that we work out how we can best combine our spells.

I'll form the head (and probably be a melee character)! Or is this more Captain Planet than Voltron?

grovercjuk

Well that is one strategy we could try, have the casters boost the power of the few melee characters we have (Mage armour etc) or to reduce the effect of the enemy (Ray of enfeeblement).

And of course there is nothing stopping chars adding melee classes. Given Orion’s urge to acquire magic items he will probably add rogue down the line.

DeviantMunster

I'll probably be withdrawing the witch, if everything goes well with Jade. The current plan is to add an Oracle and a cavalier.

Tydorei

Quote from: DeviantMunster on August 18, 2010, 08:13:41 PM
I'll probably be withdrawing the witch, if everything goes well with Jade. The current plan is to add an Oracle and a cavalier.

So you want me to change Rafaela to a cavalier? Cause I have no problem with that. I have no problem staying Sorceress either. One of the two classes will do for me.

Brandon

I think she meant she would change her character to a cavalier and Jadecore would be playing an oracle
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

DeviantMunster

Me as the oracle, but yep! No worries, you're good.

Sabriel

As requested posting my character idea here  :-)

Character name: Nel Glaenavia
Character Age: Nel is seventeen years of age but appears much older.
Character Race: Human
Character Alignment: True Neutral
Character class: Cleric
Character Role: Questioner, Healer, advisory support, protection and combat against the Undead. 

Character description: Nel is a frail and wispy girl far more advanced in her years than she should be for her age, her delicate face and pale ocean blue eyes are framed by white and grey strands of hair that extends to her shoulders.Her skin is a pale and milky white her figure lithe and weak slender arms and legs giving her a slightly haunting appearance. 

Character Personality:
Nel values life above all other things and its natural cycle, she can seam both morbid and joyful. She has an unwavering view of the world and the order of life and death and the natural cycle of things, she celebrates life and death equally and attempts to comfort others and teach them that death is not to be feared. She is dedicated to her chosen way of life as a cleric of Pharasma and seams to delight in serving her cause, her mood can change from one moment to another but she usually keeps a clear head and is never normally afraid to give her opinion on something.

Character Background:
Nel's birth was an ill fated occasion her mother was killed while still carrying her the victim of a vile attack upon the local populace and the church where she was seeking refuge.  Nel is unaware of the circumstances of her birth she believes her mother died in labour, but the truth is far more horrid and sinister. Nel's mother was killed before she gave birth to Nel and she was only brought into the world by the aid of the Cleric's of the Church, she was not expected to live and appeared to be dead when they removed her from her mother. The appearance of and song of a whippoorwill however convinced one of the Cleric's that there was hope for the child, after reviving her and bathing her they cleansed the sickly child and blessed her in Pharasma's  name.

This was not the end of the tale however and Nel's existence in the world was far from assured she  was both quite and frail and many of the church believed she would not last. But one Priestess cared for her as her own and took the continued sightings and song of a whippoorwill as a sign of pleasure from there Goddess. She believed that Nel's was not meant for death yet and that she should be given ever advantage at life for if she was meant to die then Pharamsma would of took her already as she had her mother. Of course her mother had not died of natural causes but there was no chance for her but the child deserved a chance. Unfortunately the vile forces that had attacked her mother and the village where not content with what they had already accomplished, at night they continued to attack and infiltrate the town guided by some vile force the church seamed to bear the brunt of most of the attacks but was the safest ground.

After a time with no cease in the attacks and more death and tragedy the Church commissioned a band of adventurers and a Paladin of Pharamsma. They where to lead in the destruction of the vile undead and seek out the forces behind the attacks upon the town. The attacks upon the town fell as the group hunted and destroyed the undead plaguing the town but there source seamed a mystery.   As the attacks begun to fail more formidable forces seamed to plague the town and the party suffered it first lost at the whiles of a seductive and deadly vampire, the remaining heroes learned that the vampire was responsible for many of the deaths in the village and that the nearby graveyards and cairns where being disturbed and pilfered. 

The heroes then set out to attempt to recover there fallen comrade who had be taken so swiftly from them, they found them at rest awaiting the curse of  undeath to fall guarded by many a foul mindless servant of undeath.  The battle was slow and tiresome but they escaped without a loss and put there fallen comrade to rest before it was to late. When they returned to the village however the found the village under siege by yet more foul minions and the church a flame and under attack once more.     
Again they weathered the storm until sun break and then returned to the church to consult with the clerics. One of the priesthood had communed with the Goddess requesting aide and prophecy to help unveil the vile menace behind these attacks.  What was discovered had shocked the clergy and they set upon a plan to save the village and little baby Nel. The vision had been unclear but it had pointed to the newborn as to the cause of the attacks, it had shown the vampire and a dark decaying figure seeking out the child and destroying and burning the village to get to her. Why exactly was not known but many believed that whatever was behind the attacks had perhaps planed to capture Nel before and that the mother's death or situation was perhaps not so random or meaningless at all.

The heroes  and priesthood all agreed upon a plan the priestess caring for the child and the Paladin would take the child and flee to a larger covenant with her. Meanwhile the heroes would stay and protect the town encase the undead returned another night.

Nel was raised unaware of such things she lived within the covenant until for most of her life growing up in safety and with the priesthood of Pharamsma all around her, teaching and helping her bloom into a young adult. Nel never lost her frailty or ghostly looks many whispered about her past   in secret and suspected that she had come so close to death as to be marked by it, her health and appearance where certainly affected and she seamed to have been ageing at a far more rapid pace.  Many visitors to the covenant or those that did not know Nel mistook her for much older than she was. On her sixteenth year she was ordained as a true cleric of Pharamsma and she set out into the world to find a place for herself hoping to lend comfort and joy to others lives and serve the lady Pharamsma always. On her journeys Nel heard rumour of the offer of Baron Utilinus and journeyed to Sargava to learn of the needs and assist if she could, she was drawn to the founding of a new settlement and perceived signs and opportunity. She would go forth and take Pharamsma's word and comfort and joy with her to mark the passage of the newly founded settlement and the losses it might suffer.   

Character goals:
To make a place for herself and Pharamsma in the new settlement, to serve and further the roles of midwife and burial rites. The keep a log of the lives and deaths of those whom make the settlement there home. To protect and nurture the settlement from harm providing sanctuary and wisdom to those that seek it, to root out and destroy any undead abominations that mock the cycle of life. The spend her moments of fleeting life well and leave behind something that brings joy, wisdom or sanctuary to others.

Settings & themes: I like many settings and many themes it is hard to list them all I love fantasy and  roleplay and thus enjoy nearly every conceivable element that there could be. I love to be surprised and I like it when there is more than one solution and I can use my imagination, I like to delve deep and explore question and come up with solutions I get a bit bored if every solution is one of violence and solved simply with a sword or spell. I do like a bit of common sense and dislike power play and such things.

Why do you play the game: I play the game because I enjoy roleplay I love to create characters and weave stories with others, I enjoy being a part of a group and hopefully creating a fun and exciting experience for all.  I look forward to seeing what happens next to using my imagination and seeing what others come up with and there reactions to everything.  I like to explore other things that I might not do or even like myself I find it fun to loose myself in a character I could never really be.

What do you expect from the game, me (the GM), and your fellow players?:
I expect nothing really I hope to have fun but only expect from others that they hope for the same, I have always believed that it is the players and gm as a whole that create the story and game by working together, when this happen then great stories can be told.

grovercjuk

Would it not be better to keep Rafaela as a Sorceress?
Along with Orion she would provide the heavy hitting spells later on.

Brandon

Well looks like we've got the characters about done. If you have not done so yet. Please start on the mechanics of the characters. Remember the following

Attributes: 20 point buy
Money: Max for your class
Skills: +2 skill points above what your class would normally get (so 8+int mod for bards or 4+ int mod for clerics)
2 traits from d20srd.com

Brandon

Thats enough. People can play whatever they want, however they want (as long as they can work together) and Ill have words with anyone that says different. Lets not have this turn into a huge fight with hurt feelings before the game even begins. Please?

Ixy

I apologize.  Post deleted.  I'm kind of sensitive lately.