Wonderland: Madness in all the Right Ways (Mad Hatter and White Rabbit needed!)

Started by Ember Star, September 04, 2014, 02:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ember Star

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on September 07, 2014, 12:12:12 PM
Don't forget The Mock Turtle and The Duchess.
that turtle is probably my favorite character in the books besides the cat and the caterpillar. His mopy self and songs are just so entertaining.
Quote from: Kokaine on September 07, 2014, 12:15:32 PM
Awesome, thank you :)
I might go ahead and do up a sheet for them then... just to keep things clear.
Awesome! I look forward to it!
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

CurvyKitten

There is also characters like, The frog footmen (always found them entertaining), Alice's sister (be interesting to have her show up), Bill the lizard (he 'worked' for the white rabbit.) I think there were two or so other servants as well, the duchess's cook, all the cards of the queen....

Vampyre Valkyrie

Don't forget the Walrus and the Carpenter!

The time has come,' the Walrus said,
      To talk of many things:
Of shoes — and ships — and sealing-wax —
      Of cabbages — and kings —
And why the sea is boiling hot —
      And whether pigs have wings.'
“Honey, I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time."

|

Bibliophilia

Once we get things underway, I imagine I'll be picking up another character.  Probably something quite a bit more secondary and simple than the Black Knight.  I'm interested to see the Jabberwocky, though.

Bloodied Porcelain

I would honestly prefer that Alice's sister not make an appearance outside of the occasional flashback I may or may not give her IC.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Vampyre Valkyrie

|

Chrystal

how about the whiting, the snail, the lobsters and the oysters.

Actually I have a bit-part character I suggested to Ember but neither of us were sure exactly how she would fit in, but if people like her I will ask Ember if I can keep her as a cameo....

She's "The Cake" and she shrinks anyone who eats her so they can hide inside... ;)

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Vampyre Valkyrie on September 07, 2014, 10:00:23 AM
Would so like to avoid the chess thing as much as possible :P

I was imagining that the chess-board would be there only as a motif...A sometime occurrence in the landscape only. Not as something which in any sense dictated moves, required knowledge of chess, or any of that rot. There were plenty of places in Wonderland which didn't look anything like part of a chessboard, and the chess pieces weren't confined only to spots that distinctly were 'on the board.'

Also, a big 'yes' to the dear old Mock Turtle being a grand thing. :)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Bibliophilia

I like the idea of the 'rules' being utterly fluid and incidental.  Most of the time they're never mentioned, or they are completely made-up if they are mentioned, but every once in a while they appear out of nowhere and are used to a character's advantage/disadvantage, in an utterly arbitrary manner.

That sort of thing seems very fitting for Wonderland's unique brand of nonsense.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Bibliophilia on September 07, 2014, 02:04:12 PM
I like the idea of the 'rules' being utterly fluid and incidental.  Most of the time they're never mentioned, or they are completely made-up if they are mentioned, but every once in a while they appear out of nowhere and are used to a character's advantage/disadvantage, in an utterly arbitrary manner.

That sort of thing seems very fitting for Wonderland's unique brand of nonsense.

Yes, this. Particularly the 'incidental' and 'utterly arbitrary' so long as it's promoting excuses for interesting roleplay rather than crashing anyone's fun. 'Rules' that exist only when they are most entertaining.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Kokaine

Oi... almost done with the Red Queen... just need to figure out her history >.<
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Chrystal

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on September 07, 2014, 02:07:09 PM
Yes, this. Particularly the 'incidental' and 'utterly arbitrary' so long as it's promoting excuses for interesting roleplay rather than crashing anyone's fun. 'Rules' that exist only when they are most entertaining.

Eddie Valiant: "Are you telling me you could have taken your hand out of that cuff at any time?"

Roger Rabbit: "Oh no, not at any time, only when it was funny!"

Yep, that sort of mayhemic (Is that even a word?) application of rules appeals to me too!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

CurvyKitten

Quote from: Chrystal on September 07, 2014, 02:33:59 PM
Eddie Valiant: "Are you telling me you could have taken your hand out of that cuff at any time?"

Roger Rabbit: "Oh no, not at any time, only when it was funny!"

Yep, that sort of mayhemic (Is that even a word?) application of rules appeals to me too!

LOVE IT! hehe just watched who framed roger rabbit a night or two ago actually :) ~so has the special edition version!~

Chrystal

Of course we are talking about IC rules here aren't we?

I like to draw a distinction between the two, very explicitly, so anyone new to E joining a game knows there is one.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Chrystal on September 07, 2014, 02:47:05 PM
Of course we are talking about IC rules here aren't we?

I like to draw a distinction between the two, very explicitly, so anyone new to E joining a game knows there is one.

Right, my understanding was that we were talking about 'is there a chessboard' and then 'if so, do people need to know chess rules' and I'm encouraging answers of 'yes, but it's backgrounded' and 'no, oh heck no' respectively.

And then I think we wandered into the idea of 'Wonderland IC rules' which are utterly ridiculous and arbitrary and fun. NOT meaning (at least so I interpret what people were saying) any sort of OOC rules.

(Although I do have to say with regard to chess rules, I briefly entertained a very Elliquiy thought about a doomed romance between a white and black bishop who could never enter each other's squares because each bishop is tied to moving on only one color of square. So they just zip diagonally alongside each other, shouting heartfelt adoration...I will stop now.)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Bibliophilia

That's so tragic!

One of my favorite Alice interpretations is Malice in Wonderland.  It's a modern sort of retelling with an adult Alice and clever writing.

TheBlackThrone

The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

Bibliophilia

Oh, I adore that game and the really dark and gritty feel that McGee gave the world, while maintaining the whimsy.  In fact, the fact that there was a twisted whimsy to the game is what makes it work so well.  But, I was thinking more movie adaptations.  Because, honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Burton's version.

P.S.:  Found the Black Knight's mount.

Mounted

AndyZ

They made a sequel of it, by the way, called Madness Returns.  Not sure the story was as great but they definitely fixed up some of the gameplay issues.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

TheBlackThrone

I thought it was terrible only because it lost a chunk of its horror aspect. Sacrificed horror for a psychological trip. I missed when the whole feeling of the game was creepy from the giggle children in the background, the kinder piano sound, and how every bad guy was so grotesque in design that even the Card Guards were frightening. *sigh* The sequel just seemed so mellow compared to the first one. Oh yes, and the gory deaths.
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

Vampyre Valkyrie

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on September 07, 2014, 02:57:39 PM
Right, my understanding was that we were talking about 'is there a chessboard' and then 'if so, do people need to know chess rules' and I'm encouraging answers of 'yes, but it's backgrounded' and 'no, oh heck no' respectively.

And then I think we wandered into the idea of 'Wonderland IC rules' which are utterly ridiculous and arbitrary and fun. NOT meaning (at least so I interpret what people were saying) any sort of OOC rules.

(Although I do have to say with regard to chess rules, I briefly entertained a very Elliquiy thought about a doomed romance between a white and black bishop who could never enter each other's squares because each bishop is tied to moving on only one color of square. So they just zip diagonally alongside each other, shouting heartfelt adoration...I will stop now.)

I have to say, I LOVE the bishop idea.

|

Chrystal

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on September 07, 2014, 02:57:39 PM

That's what I thought we were talking about, but i just wanted to check. Better to ask and look a fool than not to ask and be one!

Quote from: Vampyre Valkyrie on September 07, 2014, 06:02:41 PM

I have to say, I LOVE the bishop idea.

Seconded! It is so tragic yet so sweet!

Ember Star

*looks at the chitter chatter* I dare say, at least you all seem to get along. Lol.

Okay, lovelies. OOC and Characters go up later this evening, in a myst of other things that need doing.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Chrystal

Quote from: Ember Star on September 07, 2014, 07:20:24 PM
*looks at the chitter chatter* I dare say, at least you all seem to get along. Lol.

Nah we're just sizing each other up looking for weaknesses... *grins wickedly*

Okay, lovelies. OOC and Characters go up later this evening, in a myst of other things that need doing.

I suppose that will be later this morning for me as it's now 01:22am...

See you all tomorrow!

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Chrystal on September 07, 2014, 07:23:09 PM
Nah we're just sizing each other up looking for weaknesses... *grins wickedly*

Weaknesses? Or perhaps...soft spots? ;)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek: