What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 09, 2015, 01:22:57 PM
I seriously hate that Anti Vaccination has become such a large movement. I hope there is a deep pit in hell for idiots like Dr. wakefield and all those other people that have fostered this by tricking parents into not giving their children the proper medication. They're nothing but idiots and monsters.

A very deep pit, where the symptoms of all the diseases they allowed to resurge are inflicted upon them, while they are subjected to the accusing gazes of those that their efforts sent to early graves.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on June 09, 2015, 01:25:57 PM
A very deep pit, where the symptoms of all the diseases they allowed to resurge are inflicted upon them, while they are subjected to the accusing gazes of those that their efforts sent to early graves.

Oh yes, the kind of hell so low that they reserve it for child molesters and people that talk in theaters.  >:) 8-)

Blythe

Quote from: Warlock on June 09, 2015, 01:03:43 PM
An old infection makes a comback in Spain after a two decade hiatus thanks to the efforts of Anti-Vaxxers.

http://apps.who.int/immunization_monitoring/globalsummary/timeseries/tsincidencediphtheria.html

Am very happy the Russian ambassador got the anti-toxin for the kid, and I hope the poor boy recovers. :(

Warlock

Based on Lustful and Oniya's comment I think we need a new Dante's Inferno.

I do hope he is alright too.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Warlock on June 09, 2015, 02:40:14 PM
Based on Lustful and Oniya's comment I think we need a new Dante's Inferno.

I do hope he is alright too.

The old one's Either Circle for the sin of Fraud should cover it.

Warlock

Quote from: Cycle on June 10, 2015, 11:57:45 PM
HahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!  XD

Not only a sad little man, but a stupid one too. Didn't he even ask what their policy was, if you're trying to make a statement can't you at least do that much?

Can't he interpret this as a sign from above, or somesuch, and decide to support LGBT+ rights that this was what his god wanted and acted in his mysterious ways to ensure he put the money in a good place.

gaggedLouise

Apparently somebody stole a copy of the typescript for the next Fifty Shades book from Random House Publishing - guess the nicking was meant to serve all who can't wait to read the next tome... ::) (The up-and-coming book is meant to tell the story from the angle of Mr.Grey)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on June 11, 2015, 12:31:08 AM
Apparently somebody stole a copy of the typescript for the next Fifty Shades book from Random House Publishing - guess the nicking was meant to serve all who can't wait to read the next tome... ::) (The up-and-coming book is meant to tell the story from the angle of Mr.Grey)

I've always heard there were strange things done by the midnight sun.  ::)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on June 11, 2015, 12:35:49 AM
I've always heard there were strange things done by the midnight sun.  ::)

I would have preferred that some wolf got struck by the full moon and grubbed up the typescript of the book.  ;)

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Warlock on June 11, 2015, 12:16:59 AM
Not only a sad little man, but a stupid one too. Didn't he even ask what their policy was, if you're trying to make a statement can't you at least do that much?

Can't he interpret this as a sign from above, or somesuch, and decide to support LGBT+ rights that this was what his god wanted and acted in his mysterious ways to ensure he put the money in a good place.

Also appropriate. :)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on June 11, 2015, 09:23:01 AM
Just heard it. Dammit...  :-(

But now, he resides within an Endless Dream. Leaving behind an amazing legacy as a soldier (SAS), actor and even a singer.

Yes really.

Oniya

As I noted in a Facebook post on this:

He phrases it as 'my trouble with girls'.  Not 'the trouble with girls'.  Subconsciously, he takes ownership of 'the trouble'.  The trouble is his. 

On a related note, I'm going to have to adopt the idiom 'thick as mince'.

Cycle

When I saw the "Sir" in front of his name, this quote popped into my head:

"I need to relax. My physicians say it relaxes the throat."

"They're idiots."

"They've all been knighted."

"Makes it official then."

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Oniya on June 11, 2015, 10:42:28 AM
He phrases it as 'my trouble with girls'.  Not 'the trouble with girls'.  Subconsciously, he takes ownership of 'the trouble'.  The trouble is his. 
What makes you think he does it subconsciously? There is nothing there that makes me believe he wasn't consciously aware that he was talking about his personal perspective.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Blythe

Read about this in the news--Dr. Canavero seems to feel confident he and a team of surgeons can research and perform a head transplant. I know that there was been some successful trials in China with mice, but it's definitely a long way from mice to humans.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Blythe on June 15, 2015, 12:17:52 AM
Read about this in the news--Dr. Canavero seems to feel confident he and a team of surgeons can research and perform a head transplant. I know that there was been some successful trials in China with mice, but it's definitely a long way from mice to humans.

Wait...a head translplant?....I want to say that this is BS but...this guy sounds like he 100% believes he can do it....il honeslty be praying for his first human subject. They're gonna need it.  :o

Scribbles

I can't wait for what possible controversies lie in our far future...

Here we have Joe Schmo becoming the first Cthulu look alike; visionary or freak?

Interviewer: "So Joe, what prompted this change?"

Joe: "Well, since I was young, I've always had this urge to devour worlds!"

On the bright side as these transformations become more common, perhaps we'll notice people caring less for outward appearances? Then again, an entirely new issue will likely pop up, probably along the lines of the "pure" race versus the "altered" race...

Completely drifting off into a world of sci-fi and plot bunnies here!
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

gaggedLouise

Yep, I heard about them planning to try that out on the BBC (I mean, I heard it there...get it?) last year  :D And on monkeys, not mice.

Still can't get my head around how much of an alien mind would be carried over if the brain (and face!) were transplanted.  ???

Blythe

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 15, 2015, 12:21:56 AM
Wait...a head translplant?....I want to say that this is BS but...this guy sounds like he 100% believes he can do it....il honeslty be praying for his first human subject. They're gonna need it.  :o

The individual he proposes to do the operation on is a Russian man who suffers from spinal muscular atrophy, which is eventually fatal. The mice trials in China weren't exactly reassuring though; if I recall right, they were paralyzed from the neck down after the operations.

Definitely a news story that caught my eye, but I have huge worries it will all go dreadfully wrong. This surgery doesn't seem like it's ready for humans.  :-\

Quote from: gaggedLouise on June 15, 2015, 12:30:06 AM
Yep, I heard about them planning to try that out on the BBC (I mean, I heard it there...get it?) last year  :D And on monkeys, not mice.

I vaguely recall a monkey trial from the 70s, but the body immune system rejected the head. Don't think I've gotten to read about any later monkey trials, but then again, I may have missed it. This sort of thing normally doesn't get discussed much where I am.  :-X

Blythe

For those frustrated, might be good to take a breather.

It's also a good time to consider changing the subject. Extensive extended discussion and debate about a specific topic should probably warrant its own thread.

I've been reading about the DC mansion murders. It's been about a month, and the other housekeeper, Gutierrez, has spoken up a bit to talk about the Savopoulos family and what happened. What was unexpected is that when it happened about a month ago, it wasn't talked about here. I'm just now reading about it. O_o

Beorning

Meanwhile, back here, a minor source of controversy is this TV spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SEputU87Tk

Basically, the makers' goal is to promote parenthood (especially motherhood). The character in this spot is a successful career woman who admits, in a saddened voice: "I had time to make a career, I had time to travel... but I didn't have enough time to become a mom."

The spot came under criticism from various places, including feminist circles. One of the feminists' opinions is that the spot suggest that a childless woman is, somehow, a worse kind of person... which I don't know if I can agree with.

I mean, we do have a very low birthrate here in Poland, which might cause enormous social problems in the future (because a society where the majority of people is old and retired from work isn't really a healthy one). In such a situation, it seems a bit... short-sighted to protest that it's so totally okay not to have any children. Also, the spot doesn't really say that it's *wrong* for a woman not to have children. It just says that having children is an enriching experience. It's not the same. I can't help but think that the feminists' criticism verge on some excessive political correctness: "How dare you suggest that one life choice is in some aspect more enriching than the other life choice! Outrage!".

Hm.