Bonfire Night!

Started by Zealously Jaded, November 04, 2010, 11:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zealously Jaded

Remember, remember the 5th of November,
Gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason,
Should e'er be forgot!

Well it is that great day of the year where the British will be celebrating the failed Regicide of King James 1st of England and 6th of Scotland and Parliament!, and the subsequent torture, and burning of Guy Fawkes.

And how do we celebrate we get children to hang around shopping centres with an old scarcrow in a wheel barrow shouting "penny for the guy". We build bonfires out of anything we can get our hands on, light fireworks, roast hotdogs and get drunk with a few toffee apples...all in the perfect cold, wet and windy November night. The fun we all have...

So anyone have any fond memories of Bonfire night...food poisoning doesn't count as fond.

Parlabane

Mine's going to be great this year. Moved a few months ago to a house that's right next to the local park so we should be able to get a great view of the big fireworks display there without having to leave home...and I have to go on a training course this weekend, so I'll be on a train heading to the Midlands instead of getting to watch it!

Favourite memory is when I was in the Cubs and Scouts and we used to build a big bonfire for a fireworks display on the nearest Saturday to the 5th. We always spent the Saturday morning going round the local shops asking for cardboard boxes and paper to burn, which was great fun, even though I now realise how environmentally unfriendly it all was.

They don't do that any more. The field where we used to make the fire and have the fireworks is now a car park.

Zealously Jaded

:)

The best bonfire night I had was when I was about 5 or 6 my mum took my into York city centre and there were fireworks, I don't remember much just that it was stupidly busy.

But the funniest one was in 4 years ago in Derby the pallets that the bonfire was made of collapse and burnt the grass and a tree. Very amusing!

DarklingAlice

Regarding the image up top: Why did we let the long s fall by the wayside? It's such a lovely letter.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Zealously Jaded

It probably has something to do with the invention of the printing press and the unification of type face!

Aelynn

My cat HATES Bonfire Night! Every year, she hides behind the couch, and tonight was no exception. I have a whole new set of claw marks going right up the left hand arm, which will cost a fortune to repair. :(

My best November 5th, though, is probably when I was about ten, and my guide troop had a huge fire, and hundreds of fireworks. Actually, it's about the only "proper" Bonfire Night I can remember!

Zealously Jaded

aww that sucks about the sofa.

My dog is like 15/16 now and this year he didn't hear a single firework (probably because he's deaf) so it wasn't too bad this year normally it takes till May to get him off his bed.

Lol fireworks always seem better as a child...unless you get a sparkler then its AMAZING!

mystictiger

Cold. Wet. Miserable. Too much rain. Petrol. Almost lost eyebrows. Beer to compensate for cold and wet and misery. I need to move somewhere dryer if I want to set fire to things, clearly! This year is the first time I've managed to not burn myself though. Things are clearly getting better!
Want a system game? I got system games!