Re: Shadowrun Interest check. (No longer accepting chars.)

Started by Gary Stargazer, March 19, 2012, 04:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Stargazer

You slowly make your way down the wet streets of one of the less ‘successful’ parts of the city. The rain hasn’t stopped for several days, but at the very least it helps keep the stink of the area at bay. You attempt to keep a low profile as you move down the sidewalk, both your hands rest in the pockets of your armored trench coat.

Your fingertips brushed along the grip of your guns hidden deep in your pockets. They were a beauty too, not fragging cheap by any means but they always got you through the flak and dreck that Seattle loved to throw your way.

Rounding the corner into a dark alley your eyes adjust straight away to the darkness, tinting your vision with a faint huge of green. You scan around the space between the two buildings, seeing three figures standing next to an exit door.

‘You’re running a bit late tonight.’ One of the figures voices rings into your ears though his lips don’t move. The short stalky man moves to the door, running his fingertips over the mag lock while speaking to you again. ‘This is old dreck, shouldn’t be a problem to bypass.’

“I just hope we can get in and out of this place without all hell breaking loose like last time.” The only member of your group that actually physically has spoken chimes in. She leans against the wall next to the door, a small silenced pistol in her hand.

‘You really should invest in some head wear.’ The stalky dwarf grumbled as he tinkered with the mag lock on the door.

“And you should invest in a brain. Coyote doesn’t like her shaman shoving a bunch of tech into their meat.” The young woman growled out the words in a hushed tone into the comm device near her right ear.

‘Enough!’ the final member of your group chimed in with a commanding bark of his virtual voice. ‘I’m getting paid to get in and get that package out, not listen to you two bicker like fragging kids!’ By far he was the largest and most imposing figure, he stood close to seven foot and had two small tusks jutting out from the bottom of his mouth.

In his hand was his old friend, an allegiance shotgun. He always kept it loaded with slug rounds because buck shot would just bounce off the dermal plating of your typical rent a cop. His right arm that wielded the gun was obviously not human, it was a mechanical looking and the metal was jet black to help conceal it within the sleeve of his coat.

Noticing you staring the large orc dropped his gaze to you. ‘Yo, I hope you’re ready for this, if wiz kid there blows it and the alarm goes off, we are rushing in there. I’ve got too many bills to pay this month to blow this job now.’

Almost as if on cue to the orc’s statement a vid window popped open into the corner of your vision. It flashed red and read the words. ‘Alarm Triggered.’

‘For frag sakes!’ The orc shoves the stalky dwarf out of the way and planted a hard kick into the door, it seemed to not budge at first but then a loud clap sound was hear as the hydraulics on his legs kicked in and the large steel door smashed open, slamming onto the ground with a massive dent in the center of it.

Cocking back his shot gun he looks to you and then to the shaman. ‘Radio silence, we get in, we get the dreck, and we get out. Hopefully Wiz kid here can have our route secure since he can’t seem to open a slogging door!’

You draw both your hand guns, your smart link immediately kicks into action, you can feel the neuron limiters turn off as your wired reflexes take effect. Faster than seems humanly possible you spring into the newly opened doorway. Your eyes darting around for any signs of movement  as your two companions file in behind you.

Your enhanced eyes pick up movement, without hesitation you draw your guns upward and fire several shots into the corporate suit as he tumbles to the ground, his Uzi scattering to the floor next to him as a pool of blood began to spread onto the floor.

Moments later half a dozen more guards were on you, the three of you backed up against one another, your weapons drawn as you readied to fight off the group. You felt arcane energy fill your body as your sense grew sharper, obviously the shaman was doing her voodoo again.

Aiming one gun each at two separate suits as they trained their rifles on you, you gave a knowing smirk. It was just another day at the office for you, and you weren’t going home without your creds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So do I have your interest with my crappy little story I threw together together up there? >:3

If you're new to shadowrun then obviously the story above can easily set the mood. Think of it like D&D meets cyberpunk. Essentially it takes place in our world but in an alternate reality future where magic resurfaced and all hell broke loose because of it. There are demons, dragons, elves, orcs. It's very much a hybrid of your typical fantasy game mixed with lots of science fiction and cyber punk.

Shadowrunners are the not so fortunate members of a society that has gone to the corporate dogs. Everything has it's checks and balances and these people for various reasons have fallen through the cracks of that. They may be criminals or they may be just be unlucky bastards who got a bum wrap in life. Perhaps they are vigilantes out to try to right a wrong a corp did to them. Regardless Shadowrunners do the jobs that corporations want done on the down low. They are deniable assets but in the end they are just people trying to make a living, even if they have to run in the shadows to do it.

Now IF you are interested let me say a few things right here and now. I have NEVER ran a forum based game before so I will be rusty at it, I only run shadowrun in r/l. Even then it's been about two years since I've played it, so I will need to get back into it.

That being said if you're genuinely interested in this idea then let me know, I will throw something together in the next week or so, all I ask is that you try to post at least once a day. If you go inactive for more than a day or two I can and I WILL auto pilot your char to move things along.

I also should point out that unlike D&D and pathfinder most people have not played this system, however don't be intimidated, I will try my best to teach anyone that plays the bare minimum to play, just enough to get your rolls done, after all it's about the RP not the system, am I right?

Well just let me know something. >:3
Official fanboy of Oreo. <3
Allow me to show you how I like to play. <3
I'm not just a member of The Oreo Fan Club, I'm the president.

Ignis

*Hurries up and scribbles a reply without reading anything.*

Um ya... I am interested. Give me a day or two to finish some other stuff up and I will find some way to post up a character sheet or something. I dont know how I am going to focus on getting anything else done without leafing through the books though.

If you dont have access to any of the books let me know.

Gary Stargazer

Take your time, I'm two years rusty, gonna take time to plan and learn the system again.

Ignis

Quote from: Gary Stargazer on March 19, 2012, 05:08:32 PM
Take your time.

Time, TIME? WHAT TIME?

I have to hurry up and get done with other stuff so I can make a character and get my spot saved. Its Shadowrun. I also have to refresh myself on the combat because the closest I have ever been to running a game was reading the books and trying to twist arms to get people to make characters. :P

Callie Del Noire

I've always wanted to play a SURGE victim of some sort. :D

grovercjuk

Never actually played it but have read a lot of fiction set in it.
Is it a complex system?

Muse

Waii!  *pounce!* 

Shadowrun isn't a difficult system, but the large numbers of options sure do make it seem that way! 

I'd like to play a mage type? Perhaps someone a little bit oversexed?  Say, an elven or surge altered human gal whose spells make people hesitate as they orgasam, put them to sleep, or mess mess with their heads to get what we need for missions? 

A tamer character is a somewhat shy mage girl who is coming into her own.  She wears steam punk armored clothing chic and has a sort of tessla/steam punk theme to her spells.  (Lightning bolts fired from tessla coils, a pocket watch she uses to plant post hypnotic suggestions.) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ReijiTabibito

Are we doing 4th or 3rd ed?  And if we are doing either, are there special creation rules in place, or are we doing standard build rules?

And if we're doing 4th, are we using the Cinematic rule set?

Callie Del Noire

Well with Herolab around.. I can make up a character like Johnny Mnenomic. (Data Courier)

QuoteMenomic Courier (Human)
B 3, A 4/3, R 4/3, S 2, C 3, I 4, L 4, W 4, E 3, Ess 4.9, Init 8/7, IP 1
Condition Monitor boxes (Physical/Stun): 10/10
Novatech Airwave Commlink Condition Monitor: 10
Armor (Ballistic/Impact): 9/11
Skills: Athletics Group 3, Cracking Group 2, Dodge 3, Electronics Group 3, Etiquette 3, Negotiation 2 (Sense Motive +2), Pilot Ground Craft 1 (Bike +2), Stealth Group 3
Knowledge Skills: Computer Background 4, Corporate Security Procedures 4, Courier Routes 3, Data Havens 5, English N, Japanese 4, Spanish 4
Qualities: Addiction (Mild): Stimulants, Blandness, Erased (Weekly)
Cyberware:
   Cybereyes (2) with Eye Recording Unit, Flare Compensation, Image Link, Low-Light Vision, Protective Covers, Smartlink
   Data Lock with Encrypt (4)
   Datajack
   Skillwires (2)
   Smuggling Compartment
Gear:
   Activesoft: Blades (2)
   Activesoft: Pistols (2)
   Datachip x4
   Identity: Specify Name with DocWagon Basic Contract, Fake SIN (4), Low Lifestyle
   Linguasoft: Chinese (2)
   Linguasoft: French (2)
   Linguasoft: German (2)
   Mapsoft: Seatle (3)
   Nanopaste Container, Face & Hands x2
   Novatech Airwave Commlink with Analyze (3), Basic+ Suite, Browse (3), Command (1), Edit (3), Novatech Navi Operating System, Sim Module
   Suzuki Mirage
   Urban Explorer Jumpsuit
   Urban Explorer Jumpsuit Helmet
   White Noise Generator (4)
Weapons:
   Hammerli 620S [Pistols, DV 4P vs. B, SA, RC 1, 6 (c)] with Gas-Vent 1 System, Regular Ammo x60, Smartgun System, Internal
   Attack of Will (vs. Spirits) [DV 3P vs. I]
   Unarmed Strike [Unarmed, DV 1S vs. I]

Gary Stargazer

Rawr! You guys hurt my brain, making me think of stuff I haven't thought about in a few years. What was I thinking?! *goes back to studying rule books.*

By the way is that from the hero lab demo or the full retail? not that I have 30 bucks to throw at it. >>

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Gary Stargazer on March 19, 2012, 06:46:05 PM
Rawr! You guys hurt my brain, making me think of stuff I haven't thought about in a few years. What was I thinking?! *goes back to studying rule books.*

Muhahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Let's handle this one question at a time, friend.  3rd ed Shadowrun or 4th?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Gary Stargazer on March 19, 2012, 06:46:05 PM

By the way is that from the hero lab demo or the full retail? not that I have 30 bucks to throw at it. >>

It's from a full version (I transferred my windows licenses to the mac beta.. I got the base & splat books)

Gary Stargazer

OK I do know it's gonna be 4th, cuz I'm using an optimized 4th core book in r/l as well.

ReijiTabibito

Alright.  Now, are we using the standard build for 4th ed (400 BP)?  Or are we doing something different?

Gary Stargazer

Not going to lie, I would prefer to keep this as vanilla as possible for my own sanity as well. so 400 BP would probably be the best choice. Once I get back into the swing of things I might be able to expand out the options.

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Last question, though I'll understand if this one takes some time.  Cinematic gameplay rules - basically allows for more awesome stuff on the part of the characters.  They're found on page 69 in the standard SR4 Corebook, and on page 75 of the 20th Anniversary book.

Gary Stargazer

Cinematic actually looks like it would make it kind of fun, lets go with that.

Marie Reynolds

I'd love to throw my hat into this game

Blinkin

I haven't played this in years, butn if there's space, I would like to throw my hat in.

Now, question... I do not have any of the books anyloner and I remember next to nothing about character generation... so... anyone got a book on PDF I can borrow or willing to help me get the basics again back into my worn memory again?

I think the last time I played it was under 3rd edition... so anyway. lol

Blinkin
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Gary Stargazer on March 19, 2012, 07:34:53 PM
Cinematic actually looks like it would make it kind of fun, lets go with that.

Sweet!  ^_^  Alright, I'm in.

Now, to start asking other people questions...what is everyone interested in playing?  I've got a number of character options I'd like to try out...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on March 19, 2012, 07:40:20 PM
Sweet!  ^_^  Alright, I'm in.

Now, to start asking other people questions...what is everyone interested in playing?  I've got a number of character options I'd like to try out...

Thinking either a courier or salish scout come to the city.

Gary Stargazer

If someone needs a PDF of the core book I can pass that along on yahoo or something, as to char sheets i don't know of a site that hosts online SR sheets.

Blinkin

*starts paging through his "Net For REAL idiots.." Ummm... yahoo... ummm... Sendspace? lol

Blinkin
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Marie Reynolds

Id love to give you that reji but I'll give you an idea of what I'm playing tomorrow when I'm off duty and can get to my laptop

RubySlippers

I played this at cons but only pre-made characters but did find a copy of the core rules, might give her a shot if anyone can help do the character.