Blood Bowl's back for a new season!

Started by wander, November 12, 2016, 04:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

Blood Bowl, a hilarious and violent boardgame recreating matches of a sport parodying American football and rugby, played by the Warhammer fantasy races...

Big news for fans... Yesterday the new edition of the classic boardgame Blood Bowl became available for pre-order from Games Workshop, to be sold at their stores on the 25th. On the same day, a supplement (Death Zone - Season One) covering different teams (including the Skaven, who also get a team box released on the same day to play along with the Human and Orc teams in the main box) will also be released.

The rules don't seem to be changed, though there's a new larger squared board and models have larger bases to accommodate the ball when one gains possession.

So, it's more a release for those who either have had the chance to play this (it's damn fun) and those who no longer own their older edition (Mine's long gone and a regret I live with). One complaint I have is placing the optional team lists in a separate supplement book instead of the core rulebook as before, although from a quick look at the Skaven, prices for their players and their re-roll tokens seem unchanged.

So... Is anyone picking up the new edition? Does anyone here play using the older editions and what teams did you play or are you most excited to taking a spin with this season?  :-)

HairyHeretic

Bloodbowl is a good game, I've played it since 1st edition. Heck, I still have that first edition box set (cardboard counters and and 3rd ed WFB rules for play). As long as they don't mess with the existing (previous?) rules too much, it should do well.

I think my FLGS are either running or planning a league, so I may get in on that. I play Chaos, always have and always will :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

wander

The rules seem completely unchanged from what I've seen. They've added cards to the system, though these are the same optional random event cards that have been included in the prior editions, just now they're in a shiny deck. Whilst it's a little annoying they're just kinda making a shiney new release without changing the current rules, I remember when I used to play it the game was super fun and I can see why they wouldn't want to really fix something that isn't broken to begin with...

The main change is the size of the board and the models, which are slightly bigger. This also means a new range ruler for passes is in the box, to go with the larger board squares.

I used to own the 3.5 edition, basically the rerelease of '94's 3rd edition in 1996. I sadly got rid of it before going to Uni years later and have missed it ever since.

The game is going to be £60 over here in the UK (at least it is on the GW site, may be more in-store) and £80 for the Special Season boxset with the Death Zone book included. The Skaven team box is priced at £20, though unless you have a prior edition, their team roster rules are in the Death Zone book, not the rulebook included in the boardgame.