Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Quote from: Hemingway on March 12, 2012, 06:47:21 PM
Damn few. And they're all dead!

I was hoping you'd know that one.

( You'll understand ... )

Prothean explanation
It's hinted, I think by the Prothean character, that Ilos wasn't built by Protheans. In other words, the Illithid look is an older civilization still.

I did consider that, but...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The squid faced Prothean's still show up in the Beacon visions. So unless the Prothean's forwarded the messages their predecessors sent them, then those statues were in the Prothean's image.

I'm pretty sure the answer is the obvious one, that it's a simple retcon. I've had theories on why the Collectors look so different to the Protheans, and those have tied into other theories I've had about the origins of the Reapers, but I'll admit, there are massive gaps I simply can't string together, and I honestly believe the writers didn't have any plans for the Collectors when they designed the Illos statues.

This design makes more sense and at the same time it clears up the sketchier areas of several of my theories. I'm 99% certain it's a simple retcon.

Hemingway

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Inkidu on March 11, 2012, 12:31:13 AM
EDIT: Apparently there's a special ending for over 5K preparedness, but I'm sure I had that. So if that's the special ending I call for retcon.

Depends on if you played any of the MP. If you did then you might well have hit 5k, if you didn't then you need 10k prep to get that 5k EMS which lets you see the "perfect" ending.
Which kind of means they were telling the truth with that "you don't need multiplayer to see the best ending!" stuff they were spouting. However realistically it's very difficult to accomplish without dipping your toe into those waters, I know I put in a lot of side quest busy work and still only completed the game with 4k EMS.

About the ending of Mass Effect 3:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
You can really tell it was written without input from the rest of the writing team, which is a shame but sometimes those are the breaks.
Otherwise it is far from the worst ending I've ever experienced from a piece of entertainment, but it's certainly not what I wanted as closure to the story of my Shep.
Also I think I hate Anderson more after this game than I already did, which is impressive because I did NOT like Anderson.

Inkidu

Gave up on Dead Island. One good class, and this schizophrenia about wanting to be a Borderlands game and a serious zombie survival game make it unplayable in single player. It's obviously a co-op game only. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

I bought Syndicate because it was cheap on Origin.

It's ... I really need to stop buying games just because they look like they might be fun and they're 50% off. I mean, the fact it was pretty cheap makes it easier to put down for ever, which is what I might end up doing. It's not a bad game per se, but the mouse controls are atrocious, and the bloom ... the bloom. I am blind.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 13, 2012, 04:32:57 PM
I bought Syndicate because it was cheap on Origin.

It's ... I really need to stop buying games just because they look like they might be fun and they're 50% off. I mean, the fact it was pretty cheap makes it easier to put down for ever, which is what I might end up doing. It's not a bad game per se, but the mouse controls are atrocious, and the bloom ... the bloom. I am blind.
You can't turn the bloom down? Most PC games let you do that.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

I had to look that up.  Sounds like one of those pointless 'realisms' like computer-generated 'lens flare'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 13, 2012, 08:19:36 PM
You can't turn the bloom down? Most PC games let you do that.

Nope. With the use of the console, you can turn the worst lights off. It seems to be a bug, actually, at least from what I gathered on the nets.

You're pretty much right, Oniya. Some games use bloom more than others. It's one of those things, along with "reality is brown"/completely desaturated environments that just needs to ... disappear, quietly.

Syndicate is also ... I don't know, weird, I guess, for me. Syndicate presents a world wherein nation-states have been entirely replaced by corporations. I study human geography, where we happen to deal a lot with corporations, and how they're not replacing states. Now, I realize Syndicate is set half a century in the future and it's science fiction, so it's not comparable to if they'd, say, gotten basic science wrong, or anything like that. I still think it's funny.

Inkidu

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on March 13, 2012, 10:00:11 PM
XCOM: Enemy Unknown Deep Dive Trailer [HD]

Ahem. Shut up! Shut up and take my money now!

Didnt I just link this the other day which subsequently turned into that huge fight?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on March 13, 2012, 10:04:02 PM
Didnt I just link this the other day which subsequently turned into that huge fight?
No, I don't think so. We were just arguing on squad size I think. I don't think you posted the trailer. Anyway, I'm just excited for the game.

Wolfy

Inkidu

Looks like Donkey Kong to me. Watch out for that fireball.

Oniya

Considering that's three different games...  (but thanks for reminding me that Mr. Oniya has a game of ToA started.  I may have to poke him about that.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Annashi

LunarSage

Quote from: Inkidu on March 13, 2012, 10:00:11 PM
XCOM: Enemy Unknown Deep Dive Trailer [HD]

Ahem. Shut up! Shut up and take my money now!

I want I want I want!  When does it come out and for what?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on March 14, 2012, 09:40:59 AM
I want I want I want!  When does it come out and for what?
Sometime in the Fall of this year, and everything but the Wii. I'm going to get it for 360 myself. I want to support strategy games on consoles. :D

Sabby

Okay, I hate Dynasty Warriors, and I definitely hate RTS games. And yet, this is making me hard.

Kingdoms Under Fire 2: Extended Trailer

I had my issues with the first game... as it wasn't enough for it to be so brutally difficult, the learning curve was a bit steep and there were encounters that just felt very unfair. Either that, or I screwed up monumentally in the RPG side every time I played, but that's even worse -.- if you never got to play Kingdom Under Fire: Crusades, it was an RTS/RPG/Beat 'em up hybrid on the Xbox.

You had to hire troops, train them, outfit them, lead them into battle, and could jump between your general on the ground and the sky view on the fly. One second your clashing swords with a units lieutenant, the next you pull away, bring up the map to set a course for your archers to take around the battlefield to get to the high ground and have the sun at the backs, then warping back into your warrior to continue the fight, knowing archer support will be coming.

Cavalry harassing you? Merge your pikemen with your unit. Archers on the side? Split one of your units off to occupy them, or fight in the trees to get cover, or move so the sun will blind them. Your Mages being attacked? Send a unit into the fight and then force your Mages to pull back while the others scrap it out. Enemy force too great? Stall them and send Sappers to set traps, plant archers in the trees and hill, then retreat and lead them into it. And this is just immediate stuff, try throwing in hundreds of these guys, with buffs, offensive spells blanketing the area, catapults and cannons, giant monsters, dragon mounts swooping in, all manner of high fantasy and light steampunk.

Bayushi

Quote from: Inkidu on March 14, 2012, 12:35:38 PMSometime in the Fall of this year, and everything but the Wii. I'm going to get it for 360 myself. I want to support strategy games on consoles. :D
NO!

BAD!

/stab

Bad console fanboy! It's bad enough that most PC games are shitty ports of the console version (*cough* Skyrim), now you jackasses want to steal a genre that's unfit for console, so you can pervert it too?

Get out.

Inkidu

Quote from: Akiko on March 14, 2012, 02:26:54 PM
NO!

BAD!

/stab

Bad console fanboy! It's bad enough that most PC games are shitty ports of the console version (*cough* Skyrim), now you jackasses want to steal a genre that's unfit for console, so you can pervert it too?

Get out.
Please, misdirected anger much? Why is it unfit for consoles? Just because that's the way it is, because that answer doesn't fly with me. There's no reason a TBS game cannot exist on consoles. In fact, your whole assulty-stabby angry thingy is unfounded because the designers are really intent on providing an enhanced PC interface. I'm tired of everyone thinking that anyone who plays on a console is dumb shooter jock who wouldn't know what strategy was if it bit him on the big toe.

I want this, and I want it for consoles. The only thing that causes shitty ports is lazy developers. It's not a console gamer's fault. Honestly, I hate that some of the console games turn out the way they do. Look at Dragon Age: Origins. They got rid of the isometric camera for consoles because they think console players are morons. I would have loved the isometric over the third person view.

A console is a platform. Nothing more. It is a means to play a video game. I just don't want to deal with things like online DRM, constant upgrades, programing, and the money. The ease of use of a console makes it more like the entertainment item I want.

LunarSage

I personally have no bias either way, but I do prefer PC games because they're easier to mod.

I would not have enjoyed Alice: Madness returns on my 360 like I did on my PC because I couldn't even make it past a certain point early on in the game without having godmode on.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on March 14, 2012, 02:51:32 PM
I personally have no bias either way, but I do prefer PC games because they're easier to mod.

I would not have enjoyed Alice: Madness returns on my 360 like I did on my PC because I couldn't even make it past a certain point early on in the game without having godmode on.
I don't either. I just don't like all the fuss that comes with having a gaming PC. I like to plug and play.

Honestly though, it's a turn-based strategy game. They do those on handhelds. Why can't they be on consoles? It's not like there's any rush to any of it.

DarkWorld0BrightHope

I have this to say for pc based tbs games.

Starcraft.
Looking for writing prompts, 500-1000 words. Will do one a day.

Brandon

Quote from: Akiko on March 14, 2012, 02:26:54 PM
NO!

BAD!

/stab

Get out.

The problem isnt people playing on cosoles, the problem is the industry considering the PC market a 3rd wheel of sorts. Every game needs to be optimized for each platform but they arent. This is why we get the majority of games without FoV options and with horrible UI's on PC.

Something tells me that the US needs fit for purpose laws similar to the UK so we can really stick it to the companies who dont make proper ports for the PC platform.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

I suddenly feel like playing Dragon Age: Origins. Hmm. We'll see how long that lasts. I can't seem to make up my mind these days. Unfortunately, I don't have it installed, and since it's one of the few games I bought a physical copy of, well.. I'll have to get it, maybe tomorrow.