Partner Searching Completed and Enabled : )

Started by Vekseid, March 15, 2010, 02:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Can be found here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/activeroleplayers.php

This isn't the be-all, end-all of what's going to be done with it, and the version for the next CMS will be superior. I apologize for this being about six months late, but various things have happened as many of you are aware : /

Results As you might gather, it's in reverse order of last activity time. What a bump on the list, just be active : ) Shoutbox activity does not update the last active timer, only forum activity does. Members who are looking for roleplays will be the only ones who show up in the raw page when no search is performed. Searching the profiles themselves turns up all available members, however. I'll make this a toggle later.

You can also perform basic searches straight from the main roleplaying preferences page - just click on a preference name : )

As the page itself mentions, gendermatching isn't done yet because not enough people have filled it out. Since it's still relatively new and all

Obviously this will perform better with more people in the database. Bring your friends, make links and be happy : )

Speaking of making links Your Elliquiy Ons and Offs roleplaying profile counts for referral hits. So if you link people to your ons and offs page and make it public, link hits from such members will count for referral purposes. For example If I stuck this in a signature in another forum and someone clicked on it and signed up, I'd get a referral from that : )

To-Do list

1) Put up a formal system for submitting new preference items. Also phase out the current sexuality items in the Ons and Offs as is, since they are now redundant. There's nothing really stopping this, but there is a feasible limit as to how many items the O&O table can hold. A few hundred more would be pushing it, really.
2) Have preferences default to their master preference when a subpreference is not selected. This will let people collapse things a bit.
3) Expand search capabilities to specify modes of play, gender matching, etc. May set this up after there are three thousand or so profiles in the system - a big number but would hopefully encourage more recruiting : )

Suggestions welcome, no guarantees about taking them though : )

Chevalier des Poissons

-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

DrFier

Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

Olufemi

[tr][td]
[/td][td]
On's & Offs [/td][/tr][/table]
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
A/A - Updated Aug 22, 2011 [/td][/tr][/table]
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
Roleplay wants [/td][/tr][/table]

Drake Valentine

Nice. ^-^

However, if you don’t mind me inquiring you on something of your to do list.

Quote from: Vekseid on March 15, 2010, 02:53:10 AM
1) Put up a formal system for submitting new preference items. Also phase out the current sexuality items in the Ons and Offs as is, since they are now redundant. There's nothing really stopping this, but there is a feasible limit as to how many items the O&O table can hold. A few hundred more would be pushing it, really.

Will you be doing this before adding a more specific gender searching feature? I can understand some redundancy as it stands with a few of the items in the list, given the boxes we now have.  I wasn’t sure of your scheduling of events to do this with the possible new gender search feature, new items, and weeding out others. Though would it be a bit easier and/or slightly more user friendly if the female, male, or whatever characters/partners that were featured in the old set up remain a bit till the gender search set up is completed? Unless you were already planning on such, if not, it is just a thought/suggestion.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Nessy

Quote from: Vekseid on March 15, 2010, 02:53:10 AM
Suggestions welcome, no guarantees about taking them though : )

Maybe it's just the way my brain works or not works as it were but I am not likely the new sexuality system much at all. I find myself starring at it for several minutes before I actually draw any information from it. It's not something i can just look at and say quickly they like xyz and move on.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Saerrael

DrFier

Quote from: Nessy on March 15, 2010, 07:44:30 PM
Maybe it's just the way my brain works or not works as it were but I am not likely the new sexuality system much at all. I find myself starring at it for several minutes before I actually draw any information from it. It's not something i can just look at and say quickly they like xyz and move on.

Along the top is the gender of characters they play, along the side are the genders they would want their parners character to be.

What they like is where the two intersect. (if it's marked off, that is.)
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

Kip

Quote from: DrFier on March 15, 2010, 08:04:42 PM
Along the top is the gender of characters they play, along the side are the genders they would want their parners character to be.

Nessy - for a visual representation and explanation of what DrFier has said (and very nicely too), see this post.

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Vekseid

Quote from: Nessy on March 15, 2010, 07:44:30 PM

I can have it print differently on user pages and results ("Plays Females who are attracted to: males, females...") rather than have the matrix. I just put the matrix in the results because I already wrote the function >_>

rick957

There's obviously been a lot of effort and thought put into this system, and I'm certainly appreciative of that.  :) 

But there's a but, I'm afraid.  :(

Like Nessy, I suspect that most people on this site find the system in its current form impenetrable.  I certainly do, although I'm sure I can figure it out, but only after I stare at it for a very long time.  With the old Ons and Offs-thread system still in place (thankfully), there's not much reason for people to take the time to learn the new system. 

I'm not pointing this out just to be a naysayer or sourpuss.  It just seems like, considering all the work that went into it, it's a shame the end result is not much more user-friendly.

I've learned that many of us here often don't have the patience to even read whole paragraphs of instructions, much less put the time in to figure out such an intimidating-looking system.  I'm sure some of us will take the time -- I plan to -- but I fear the system will need a far more intuitive presentation to appeal to most E users.

If this wasn't the right place to make such comments, let me know and I'll remove them.  Also, again, I really do appreciate that Vekseid et al. take the trouble to do things like this to improve the site.  Thanks for reading.  :)

Vekseid

Question for people. Is how it displays now on profile pages better or at least a better direction?

Will take suggestions >_>

Saerrael

Quote from: Vekseid on March 15, 2010, 11:25:26 PM
Question for people. Is how it displays now on profile pages better or at least a better direction?

Will take suggestions >_>

Well, knowing my talent for being dumb in the weirdest ways..
1. I can find it. So that's a plus?
2. 'View my roles' link is so close to it, it at least looks like one link. Suggesting to put that link under the 'My role play preferences' link.

Hope that helps and was what you wanted to know.

Vekseid

Quote from: Saerra on March 15, 2010, 11:31:31 PM
Well, knowing my talent for being dumb in the weirdest ways..
1. I can find it. So that's a plus?
2. 'View my roles' link is so close to it, it at least looks like one link. Suggesting to put that link under the 'My role play preferences' link.

Hope that helps and was what you wanted to know.

I'm referring to the gender display on the ons and offs pages: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=8660 : )

Saerrael

..I'm a brunette. Honest!

*checks link*

I'd say that's clear and looks fine. Aside the ','s, which look odd when nothing follows up. But that's a rather small detail.

Vekseid

* Vekseid will take care of that when no longer feeling lazy >_>

Nessy

Quote from: DrFier on March 15, 2010, 08:04:42 PM

I understand what information is being presented. I am saying it's not presented in a way I find to be a quick reference. I certainly don't need help understanding it. In comparison to the Ons and Offs, I don't need to spend time looking at a grid to know if someone likes fantasy or not. It's about speed of getting that information, not comprehension.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Vekseid

Quote from: Nessy on March 16, 2010, 01:00:00 AM
I understand what information is being presented. I am saying it's not presented in a way I find to be a quick reference. I certainly don't need help understanding it. In comparison to the Ons and Offs, I don't need to spend time looking at a grid to know if someone likes fantasy or not. It's about speed of getting that information, not comprehension.

Is this better, at least for the genders? https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=5245

Nessy

Quote from: Vekseid on March 16, 2010, 01:53:30 AM
Is this better, at least for the genders? https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=5245

Oh that Characters I play box? Yes, i find that a lot easier to look at quickly and grab the info I am wanting. Very nice!
Misc. Long Term Ideas

Kurzyk

HockeyGod

It appears that the role playing preferences will allow images, but they must be uploaded to the Wiki. Just a note to anyone adding images to this.

Oniya

One thing  - I'm not sure how easy it would be, but while doing a search recently, I came up with a user that was banned.  (I'm not sure why a banned user would be seen as recently active, but that's neither here nor there.)

It might be helpful if the partner search screened for that (as in 'if Banned = True, then Match = False') so that people who are not available for code-enforced reasons (even if their profile was set to 'Looking') won't be returned as possibilities.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Chelemar

This is so not a suck up, but you are awesome Veks.

I love E. 

You and the staff answer questions quickly, are on top of things in a timely manner, and have the best interest of the community at heart.

I wish I could donate even more that I do.  I watch the monthly goal/subscriber tote at the top of the page every day, and give it a mental push, hoping it goes higher and higher. Losing Elliquiy would be like losing a pertinent part of myself. The value I get from being here can't be measured in money. 

That there would be a place where many different peoples, writing styles, and life styles could exist in relative harmony seemed impossible, but you all have managed it quite well.

Thank you and thank you staff.

Chele