The Dungeon of Fabulous Treasures-open role play

Started by Verasaille, October 12, 2014, 12:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verasaille

Haolink hovered over the crystal ball and peered intently into it.  The fog of his rotten breath covered the clear crystal and he had to wipe it twice before he saw a glimmer of green light. "Master? Is you there? Master we has intruders!! What is your orders?"

Nothing came forth just yet and Haolink blinked several times and rubbed the crystal again. Mumbling under his breath at the lack of communication in this job. He had the onerous duty of keeping adventurers out of his Master's Lair. It did not help that rumors abounded in all the major cities for leagues around them of the fabulous treasure hidden in the depths. After all what good was a Dragon for a Master if he did not collect treasures?

The goblin scratched his green bulbous nose and  peeled off a single leech stuck hungrilly to his cheek. Examining it closely he shrugged and popped it into his mouth. The satisfying squish of the innards of the leech made him lick his lips in enjoyment. He looked around and scowled at the imp dancing beside him. "Whaddya want? I can't give ya orders until I gets them! Go keep an eye on them intruders. They still standin' outside, right? Uhh...send some bats out to scare them. Maybe they will go away. SHoo now git otta here!"

The imp rolled his yellow eyes and scampered off. He was just a messenger! No one paid him enough to get hurt. But he could pop in and out of the Nether and spy on intruders without being seen. Well most of the time no one saw him...

Deep down in the caverns of Fabulous Treasure, the Master opened one purple swirling eye to peer at the crystal ball glowing beside him. He snorted a gout of purple flame and knocked the crystal off its perch. It bounced and rolled away several feet before the claw of the Dragon reached out to snare it. "WHAT!?" he growled as the crystal rang in sympathy. He had long since given up hunting for treasure. He was too large to leave his dungeon and the occasional adventurer was a tasty treat, not to mention sometimes they brought treasure with them! He had several monsters guarding his treasures. He had Kobolds and goblins, bugbears and scaly fire salamanders. He was quite sure he had others prowling the tunnels. His recruitments went to every nasty location on the planet. He offered lots of perks and all the adventurers they could eat. Not too much though. He often had to recycle some to keep his mobs happy.

He scowled at the crystal and had only one order. "Let them in, maybe they will bring more treasure!"

-------------------- (OOC)

Rules are simple: If you wish to be an adventurer,  give yourself a name and an occupation, fighter (warrior or paladin), cleric (or some other healer) Wizard (or some other magic user) or a rogue of some type. Describe your abilities and whatever fancy armor or weapons you enjoy.

If you wish to be a monster I welcome you to keep the Master's Lair free of intruders! Choose any kind of chaotic monster you would enjoy playing. Give me a great description of your form and abilities.  I want this to be a fun and comedic romp in the dungeon. I will try and keep all of you occupied with madness and mayhem and I hope some laughs as well.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

LuciferOs

Name: Laura Descia
Class: Sorceress
Abilities: Spells, staff and sorceress garb.
Race: High Elf

Spells
Hypnotize (Charms opponents)
Telekinesis (move objects / monsters / people)
Lightning (A bolt of lightning from her finger tips)
Break Magic (unlocks magical locks and breaks most spells, curses and  enchantments)
Translate language (Anything verbal or written can be understood)

Staff abilities

Vamparic Mist    

When exhaling softly while being held tightly the staff can exude a ankle deep mist for about 100 square yards in non-windy conditions. Monsters in it will be slowed and sapped of life. For every ounce of life sapped, Laura and her companions heal a comparable amount.  As a side effect, those healed also are nourished.

Magic Sanctuary  
A solid tap on the ground with the staff creates a circle 20 feet across which makes all within undetectable to those outside, any movement not within the circle but within 200 yards of it will alert Laura. Occasiosn this happens will awaken Laura if she is asleep.

Sorceress Garb
Her clothing, although light does have three abilities.

Resist Elements: all but extreme cold and heat has no effect on Laura.
Repel insects: A minor but appreciated effect (managed by her necklace)
Remove scaring: Wounds, even old ones leave no mark.

Background

Laura learned her abilities alone from visions that came to her in dreams she  had as a child. Unlike most sorceress Laura has considerable charm and is not as arrogant or as aloof as most high elves. Laura recently came into a lot of money by happening upon a shipwreck and selling its cargo to the highest bidder. Money she has exhausted in buying her staff, her magic clothing and two magic pouches.

Items
  Staff (See above for abilities)
  Magical Garb (See above for abilities)
  Magical Pouch 1 (A small black leather pouch that can hold 50 times its size and weighs 1\50th of its contents when full). This pouch contains rations and waterskins to last 2 weeks.
  Magical Pouch 2 (A small black leather pouch that can hold 50 times its size and weighs 1\50th of its contents when full). Empty (for treasure !)
  A black knife
That's right ! Lucifer is a woman !
Active threads
See my role play preferences (underneath my picture) for my ons and offs

Verasaille

The opening to the dungeon looked much like an ordinary cave. About twelve feet high at the center. dark and dank, it smelled of mildew and must. Spiderwebs crisscrossed the entrance, very thick and sticky. Outside the mountain towered above the entrance. Scraggly trees grew here and there. Some grass, mostly brown and dry.

A decrepit  sign was tacked on the dead tree outside the entrance to the left. DANGER! DO NOT ENTER!

Of course any adventurer worth his or her salt would not think twice. This is the DUNGEON OF FABULOUS TREASURE! Or so the locals in the village told the tale.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

LuciferOs

------ OOC-----------
Does this mean I have been accepted ? I hope my powers are ok.
I am happy to start role playing now - I post regularly we can do a few right now if one character is enough and you want to get started.
Did you want to start a new thread for the true role play ? And label it <name>- IC (for in character) and leave this one for talking about ooc stuff ? (and link us to the true rp ?)
------ End OOC-----------

Active threads

Verasaille

(OOC) I just put this up a long time ago for people who were not approved yet. It's just openness and silliness. I hope you can have fun with it. Nothing serious. I would like to have more people join in!

LuciferOs

---------------- OOC ----------------
Is it ok if my staff gives off light also ? enough for myself and my companions to see by ? say 200 feet ?
---------------- IC ----------------

Laura stretched and looked at the sky before returning her gaze to the entrance of the Dungeon.

"Coinless again, hopefully not for long" The elf muttered to herself in the common tongue.

The sorceress was impressed with the purchases she had made, for a week she had tested them out and was quietly confident they could stand the test of time.

A few quick strides through the brown grass had her at the entrance. With slow motions the sorceress cleared an opening through the spiderwebs with her staff and peered inside.

"Knock knock" Laura whispered softly. "Anyone home?"
Active threads

Verasaille

(OOC) You are fine. I will match my monsters to your ability.

---------

As the sorceress makes her way into the cave a horde of bats flies out and tries to tangle in her hair. They are small only about as big as her hand. Mostly harmless. A rumbling growl comes from deep in the earth.

Haolink peers at his crystal ball. "It's just one sorceress! What can she do?" he laughs as she sends a hobgoblin to investigate. The hobgoblin stands about five feet tall and is hairy and tailless. He carries a spear and has some mighty big fangs!

LuciferOs

----------------OOC
I am assuming I cant yet see the hobgoblin, hopefully anyone else willing to join can just quickly be with me)
--- PS: Thanks for letting my staff make light !!!
----------- OOC End ----------------

As the flock of bats roared out of the cave Laura squealed

"Floqueth Femith Rashca Roome" A spluttered high elven curse passed her lips.

Her staff fell from her hands as both frantically tried to remove a small bat that got caught in her hair.

"Arhhg!" The sorceress wailed as she finally set it free only to flitter on the ground for a moment before making its way with the rest of its kind.

"Wretched things" Laura retrieved her staff and summoned her dignity again.

"The enterance was covered with spider web !! They should have used the path they normally travel by"

After a long breath Laura shook her head and willed her staff to shed light then walked in a purposeful motion into the great cave. For several minutes she inspected the caves innards before looking about to see how many pathways the entrance held.
Active threads

Verasaille

Seven different paths are set before you, the initial cavern is large and very uneven. From 1 to 7 the tunnels branch off from the main. The first is a very small opening, perhaps large enough for a small dog to enter. The next ones are larger until the one at the far right is tall enough for her to walk down standing up.

All are very dark. The third one has a set of red eyes that blink at her and disappear. From the last one a deep rumble sounds. The center one has a faint glow way to the back of what appears to be a straight long tunnel before it curves to the right.

LuciferOs

On seeing the red eyes glow the sorceress shudders and shakes her head.

"Perhaps not that one, with any luck it will not follow me"

Being enthused by the light Laura chooses the center tunnel and wills her staff light to be dim to allow her eyes to adjust.
As it curves to the right laura stops for a moment before thinking of her spells.

Lightning would be a handy one to have ready, and telekinisis.

With careful strides the sorceress makes her way around the bend.
Active threads

Verasaille

As she makes her way around the bend, her eyes might spot a glowing chest. It is large, perhaps large enough to contain lots of treasure! Or maybe even large enough to contain some 'one' in side?

Does she dare try to open the chest? As she draws near it the chest begins to shake. The jeweled front of the chest suddenly shimmers and two eyes appear. They are jeweled eyes of emerald green, they glow with an intense glare at her. What is this? It's a MIMIC!

The mimic flashes a maniac grin and two arms lift from the side of the chest to reach for her. It's mouth sports rows of sharp teeth as the lid opens and tentacles appear reaching for her as well.

LuciferOs

--- OOC thanks so much for your quick replies it helps non-approved peeps like me so much i cant wait to be approved (fingers crossed)--

"Yeap Gods !" Laura jumps back.

"Just my luck, it was a little too easy I suppose" Laura smirks then lifts a finger and casts telekinisis to slam the creature against the far wall only to be followed by a lightning bolt to end its bleak days.
Active threads

Remiel

(Verasaille, hope you don't mind if I crash this party!)

Lucky Hipweed was a kender, and like all kenders, gravitated naturally to the profession of Thief, although, like all kenders, didn't think of
themselves as thieves.  Rather, they considered themselves "picker-ups of unconsidered trifles" and were generally drawn to anything that was: a.) shiny  b.) magical, or  c.) pretty.  It wasn't their fault that the intersection of said qualities tended to converge only in the items that were the most valuable, or that their owners tended to adopt a rather sour view of their rather liberal policy of borrowing things and then conveniently forgetting to return them to their rightful places after they were done.  Kenders were viewed in exasperation as a plague, although if they were, they were, perhaps, the most cheery, happy-go-lucky plague ever to infect the multiverse.

Tapping his hoopak on the ground with every step, he hummed a jaunty tune to himself, the lyrics of which he couldn't quite remember, except for the last line--"and then he dropped his drawers!" --which he sung as hard as he could, perhaps to compensate for his memory deficiency. 

Hum, hum, hum, went Lucky.  Hum, hum.   "AND THEN HE DROPPED HIS DRAWERS!"

He smiled, very pleased with himself, until he noticed the cave.  It seemed like any other cave, crossed with spiderwebs and brush, but for the sign--DANGER! DO NOT ENTER!  Of course, this immediately piqued his curiosity and he had to enter the cave to see what it was that someone had felt it necessary to post a sign warning about.

Verasaille

((OOC- Of course you can join us, this is wide open to all, including unapproved and approved members. We need more mischief!)

The green skinned goblin gasped as yet another brave adventurer dared to enter his Master's Cave! Haolink yelled to the monster's lounge and cracked a whip. "Hey!! Another one!! Get moving you lazy bums! I want them captured!"

Three kobolds with a mass of hair and tangled limbs stirred from their nap. "Huh!?"  "More?"  "What is they?" all at once in a jumbled noise.

Haolink nearly pulled his green hair out by the roots. "Oh NO! By the Gods it a KENDER!! Whatever you do, get him out of here!!"

The darkness in the first cavern was not so complete the kender could not see the seven tunnels, and only one was his size, The second one, the rest were quite a bit larger. The center one seemed to have some sort of commotion going on.

The Mimic exploded into a million pieces, scattering jewels and broken shards of wood as it fell apart. In amongst the debris was a small shiny gold hilted dagger. Would the magic user pick it up?

LuciferOs

--- OOC As a mage can I have any ability to fathom magical enchantments and desern them ?? If I have too many abilities tell me which you want me to remove (I cant edit posts yet but later i can I think )
--- And kender person ... want a magic dagger ??? Enter the center corridor and you may just get lucky :) Unless you want to steal it, then I suppose there may not be much stopping you from having it anyway ! :)

--- IC

"Hah !" Laura was extactic. It was a good things her spells worked.

The sorceress gathered the jewels and quickly pocketed them in her magic pouch reserved for treasure.

On seeing the shiny dagger the mage frowned. Some enchantments were curses. Using her skirt to handle the object, being careful not to touch it, the mage turns it about trying to decipher the strange enchantment the object was imbued with.
Active threads

Verasaille

(OOC- how about you stick with the ones you had in the beginning, otherwise you become too powerful. If the dagger is cursed, it will only reveal itself to be that way when it is picked up  >:)  )

That the dagger is enchanted might be something the sorceress was good at figuring out, as it did glow a bit. But no way could she tell without picking it up. Maybe she could get the kender to grab it instead. Of course then he migh tbe cursed...but one never knows until they try.

LuciferOs

-- OOC fair enough, I was thinking of removing a spell or ability to compensate but "knowing all things magic" takes the fun out of mystery anyway :)
--- IC

"Hmm" Laura couldnt manage to desern much about the enchantment but thought that there is no point in living without taking some risks.

The sorceress dropped the dagger on the ground then picks it up with an ungloved hand.

"What are you to me I wonder"
Active threads

Verasaille

(OOC- just a note in future, if others are joining it is polite to give them a chance to post before you keep going after every one of my posts. Otherwise it seems as if you are the only one here.)

-------------
The dagger is indeed cursed and in the worst possible way, as she finds her self unable to speak. Until another person speaks to her. Looks like she better find another person or wait until they find her.

Remiel

Lucky happily wandered down the meandering passage.  Until at last he came to the junction with the seven tunnels.  While the kender-sized tunnel was appropriately inviting, the sounds of a great and unholy din coming from the center one drew his interest.  "My, I wonder what that could be?" he said.   Of course, he may have been terminally and stubbornly optimistic, but he wasn't stupid.  The commotion might be ogres or dragons or, worst of all, a bugbear.    Bugbears were evil, through and through, and truly the bane of any happy-go-lucky young kender's existence.  Why, if it turned out to be a bugbear he might just have to smack it upside the head with his hoopak!

He crept through the tunnel, his eyes adjusting to the low light.

((OOC:  As a Thief, Lucky is skilled in the usual Thief Proficiencies--Detect Traps, Move Stealthily, Pick Locks, and so on.  He's not much of a warrior, but he is second to none at getting into places he's not supposed to be.))

Verasaille

(OOC-I love Kender, one of the races I would not mind playing in a group game!  Ok Lucky let's see how you do against a few bats!)

The goblin could not believe it, The kender was actually making his way down one of the tunnels!! "Get something down there to chase him out!! NOW!!"

A pint sized bugbear woke up from his nap. "HUH? A kender? OH!! Can I haz?" he jumped up and then promptly tripped over his oversized feet. "I can do dis!! Lemme at 'im!" And he lumbered down the way to the trap door which deposited him right in between the kender and the sorceress!

He fell down the hole and rolled down the tunnel towards the kender, making a lot of racket. "OW!! These rocks hurt!" He stood to his feet and looked around. Now this bug bear was a runt. he was only three feet tall. Though he thought he was bigger. He roared when he saw the kender! "ROOOAAARRRR!"

Remiel

Lucky wasn't often surprised.  Well, that was a lie.  He was quite often surprised, such as when people accused him of being a thief.   He would be quick to inform them that he was, in fact, NOT a thief, and it wasn't his fault that their knickknacks and gewgaws just happened to find their way into his pouch.   But he wasn't often surprised by things nearly falling on his head.

His eyes opened wide when he saw what it was.  A bugbear!  The worst, most foul of all abominations known to kenderkind.   He yelped in horror, and leapt two feet straight up in the air, which is quite an impressive feet when you're four feet tall.

(Making a roll on a 1d6: on 1-3, Lucky turns tail and runs; on 4-6, he'll hit it with his hoopak.)

Roll Result: Lucky Hipweed rolled: 1d6
Comment: Oh noes A bugbear
Result: 4,
Total: 4

"Take THAT you evil bugbear!" yelled Lucky, striding forward and smacking it squarely on the head with his hoopak.

Verasaille

(OOC-LuciferO you can respond with thoughts and feelings if you wish, I am sure you heard the bugbear roar. Lucky will find you once he vanquishes the bug bear.))

The bug bear sees the kender coming and tries to duck, but he is a strange creature, and not a duck so the hoopak does some damage to his head, making him see stars! He wanders in a circle and then sits down and goes to sleep. He is not dead, too much noise will wake him.

(rolled a 1d6 and got 4, counting that as a hit since I matched your roll. Bugbear loses one turn and goes to sleep. One more hit will put him down for good or you can try sneaking past him to get to Laura. Once Lucky speaks to Laura the curse is broken.)

Remiel

Kenders aren't bloodthirsty by nature.  When Lucky sees the bugbear fall down and go to sleep, he almost feels bad for the little guy.  Almost.

"Serves you right!" Lucky boasted, shaking his fist at the bugbear's recumbent form.  "Dropping down on unsuspecting kenders like that."

He left it behind, wandering further down the tunnel to see what he could see.

LuciferOs

The moment Laura gripped the dagger something invisible grasped her tongue.
She tried to swear but nothing came out. A feeling of dread coursed through the elf.
Without being able to talk she will not be able to cast her spells ! This would leave her completely defenseless !!

As panic coursed through the sorceress veins, her attention turned back the way she had came. She could just make out some strange shadows, and talking ? The caverns echos were confusing and she didn't want to risk stumbling upon trouble in such a state.

Approaching footsteps, quick ones. Perhaps someone small? That should have been reassuring but the encounter with the false chest had her second guessing everything. Perhaps her staff would still work.

Laura exhales softly while gripping the staff tightly, if it worked, it would fill the surrounding area with a mist ankle deep, slowing opponents and draining opponents life force too. If any monsters were in it with any luck some of its vampiric healing effects may break the curse. Probably not but the elf had few options.

At worst it should slow any opponents approach, perhaps the curse could wear off before trouble arrives. Who knew ?

--- OOC I hope it doesnt effect the kender, he isnt an opponent but I will leave it for the games master to decide.
Active threads

Verasaille

Although the intended mist is meant for enemies, it may possibly affect the kender. Until he actually speaks to the sorceress, they are neutral to each other. If I may suggest and you can both be in the Shout box,you can each roll a  1 d6. If you match rolls there is no damage. If Remiel is lower he will suffer some minor damage, perhaps a fit of sneezing! If Lucifer is lower she will have to dissipate the mist and apologize to the kender, because the bug bear will be revived and attack. Of course if he speaks to her, the curse will be removed.

((GM privilege))