News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Lost on the Planes (Recruitment Thread)

Started by SheerFantasia, July 04, 2014, 08:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnivalOfTheGoat

FWIW re: area control, tanking, etc,

I'm dropping the two levels of Ranger I was considering and going the pure Mad Bomber route, and bomb-wise rather than going into permutations of standard bombs I'm going Smoke -> Stink rather than the usual Acid -> Frost -> Force route. This with Precise Bombs which allows me to make 'holes' in the splash area for friendly targets characters. Splash radius on both Smoke and Stink are doubled (10' radius rather than 5'). So six rounds of visibility-related area denial or concealment for the smoke and 1d4+1 rounds of nauseated for the stink bombs, both on tap. Wind conditions a definite factor, although the Stink Bomb only lasts 1 round so it's not much of a factor, effectively an insta-cast one-round Stinking Cloud.

And of course the bone-stock firebombs. So that will provide some useful area denial and debuffing.

Also the usual Alchemical-Stuff Assembly Line.

I had intended to go the Mindchemyst archetype, but since there's so much fuss already about having a bajillion knowledge skills on tap I don't know if we really need someone who adds double their Int bonus to knowledge skill checks. Plus, going the standard route I can just use the Mutagen for +Dex.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

kongming

On Crafting: in Pathfinder it's not a bad idea in games where you have downtime. The costs are only time and money (and time is actually the big one there), not XP.

Oh nice, an Alchemist. Hmm... I could actually drop the "can hurt swarms" item then (seeing as your ability to firebomb them is way more useful) in favour of something like a Surgeon's Vest so I can always provide basic healing or something.

Wait, the noble is an archery ranger (and we might have an archer monk too). Despite the fun of having a pet badger that's as large as I am, and the "make three attacks with good bonuses, also one of them hits twice", I might instead swap to the Assmart Bard idea, so as to reduce overlap. I could even go crazy with skills.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Chulanowa

Quote from: kongming on July 06, 2014, 12:32:21 AM
Wait, the noble is an archery ranger (and we might have an archer monk too). Despite the fun of having a pet badger that's as large as I am, and the "make three attacks with good bonuses, also one of them hits twice", I might instead swap to the Assmart Bard idea, so as to reduce overlap. I could even go crazy with skills.

Well, that would spare me the trouble of making an aasimar bard skillmonkey :D

Ghostwheel

Quote from: ExisD on July 05, 2014, 06:56:51 PMFor tanking, I was also thinking of picking up augment summoning with my remaining feats. Which would let me call in things to stand in front if no one wants to play a melee character. Depending on which, if any, of the alternate summons allowed that could go a long way.

I think we've got a couple of meleers, so only do that if you want to, don't feel that you have to. Also note that since summoning is usually a one-round action (meaning you start to cast it, and it goes off at the start of your next turn), it's very prone to interruption by ranged enemies (if an archer hits you, concentration check, same with an enemy's volley of scorching rays, etc).

Foxfyr

The perk of the zen archer is that he can work both front lines and back thanks to his point blank mastery feat preventing AoO when using his bow in melee. Though if a melee based character is preferred, I can change to a melee monk of one kind or another, but I don't think it would change my damage output much.

And I'm loading out my skills to be the maintenance and repair person what with the all tools vest and a few improvised crafting/equipment feats/perks.

Phaia

@GW  :o Nice Trick with the Orcale of lore and paladin....I am still learning all the dips and combos possible... Of course since it just applies to AC and Reflex ...I would guess he can be a bit of a klutz normally...but lord in combat he would move like a dancer and deadly. I see a lot of 1st level and Cantrips in play from ya...nice to have another source of Mage armor since I had planned on getting a wand so I could MA my Familar we may not need one now... 3 familiars in party so far should make things amusing. Be nice to the witch she can really enchance with a Fortune hex.

I am considering a single dip into a class just have not decided which yet

Phaia

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Single-dipping casters is something to be careful about. In many cases it isn't worth it unless you absolutely need something from that class for a PrC. Losing an entire level's worth of spells is rarely worth the other benefits (although there are exceptions). I angsted a while over my Ranger dip, then decided it simply was not worth it. For alchemists there is a very, very narrow zone between 'ahead/on the curve' and 'dragging the party down.' And with a kobold, she's a bit of a weakling in almost all of the stats that other classes would benefit from, so...Yeah, decided not to.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Anon315

Name: Ferren
Race: Android
Class: Rogue
Role: Ship's Security

Background
An automaton created for uses ranging from warehouse inventory moving, allocation, and memorization, to smithwork and other hazardous jobs, Ferren is in a class all by himself. A class known commonly as "General Use". There's nothing wrong with being general use, mind you, it simply leaves one with a feeling of anonymity and being less than special. After all, how special can you be if there are a few hundred of you? So he started saving up his meager pay, because despite being constructs they were not slaves, and got himself modified. He started appearing more human, though not nearly enough to shake off the stigma of being a general use unit.

He took on a name, Ferren, based on the largely iron composite that makes up his body. It's not the most original, but he's smart not creative. He took up a job in security at a warehouse. His eyes are more adept at spotting sneak-thieves, and he doesn't have the normal human frailties like a need for sleep. He was a perfect employee. All good things must come to an end, however. One night the thieves brought acid, knowing their quarry was a construct. It burned away half his body, leaving him a twisted mockery of machine and man. There was no longer a place for him among civilized beings, so he took up a post on the ship leaving this world. Maybe somewhere else would be someone with the expertise to repair his skin layers, or transform him into an actual functioning human rather than what he is. For now, he does a job, and if he looks ghastly while doing it so be it.

Character Sheet
Android
Android Rogue (Knife Master) 6 (Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea Bestiary 3; Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Combat 0)
LN Medium humanoid (android)
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +11
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 22, touch 15, flat-footed 18 (+6 armor, +1 shield, +4 Dex, +1 deflection)
hp 51 (6d8+18)
Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +2; +1 trait bonus vs. charm and compulsion
Defensive Abilities blade sense, constructed, evasion, uncanny dodge; Immune disease, emotion, exhaustion, fatigue, fear, sleep
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee +1 starknife +8 (1d4+2/×3) and
. . +1 starknife +8 (1d4+1/×3)
Special Attacks nanite surge, sneak attack +3d6
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 6
Base Atk +4; CMB +5; CMD 20
Feats Dazzling Display, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (starknife)
Traits bruising intellect, varisian tattoo
Skills Acrobatics +13, Appraise +9, Climb +6, Disable Device +11, Escape Artist +9, Intimidate +13, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +13, Perception +11, Profession (sailor) +9, Sense Motive +5, Sleight of Hand +13 (+16 to conceal a light blade), Stealth +13, Swim +10, Use Magic Device +7; Racial Modifiers +2 Perception, -4 Sense Motive
Languages Common, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling
SQ emotionless, hidden blade, rogue talents (finesse rogue, offensive defense, weapon training)
Other Gear +2 mithral chain shirt, +1 starknife, +1 starknife, belt of incredible dexterity +2, ring of protection +1, 252 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Blade Sense +2 (Ex) +2 dodge bonus to AC vs. attacks made against you with light blades
Constructed (Ex) Counts as both humanoids and constructs for effects that target type.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Dazzling Display (Starknife) Intimidate check to demoralize can affect those within 30' who see you.
Evasion (Ex) If you succeed at a Reflex save for half damage, you take none instead.
Hidden Blade +3 +3 bonus on Slight of Hand checks to conceal a light blade.
Immunity to Disease You are immune to diseases.
Immunity to Emotion (Ex) You are immune to all emotion effects.
Immunity to Exhausted You are immune to the exhausted condition.
Immunity to Fatigue You are immune to the fatigued condition.
Immunity to Fear (Ex) You are immune to all fear effects.
Immunity to Sleep You are immune to sleep effects.
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in low light, distinguishing color and detail.
Nanite Surge +9 (1/day) (Ex) Bonus to any one d20 roll. Glow like a torch for 1 round when used.
Offensive Defense (Ex) Sneak attack grants a +1 dodge bonus to AC for each die rolled vs. that foe.
Sneak Attack +3d8/+3d4 +3d8 damage with a dagger-like weapon if you flank your target or your target is flat-footed.
Two-Weapon Defense +1 to AC while wielding 2 weapons. +2 when doing so defensively.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex) Retain Dex bonus to AC when flat-footed.
Varisian Tattoo  +1 trait bonus on saving throws against charm and compulsion effects.

Ghostwheel

It puts me 2 levels behind on spells, but I think that as a primary-melee character it's worth it, since otherwise I'd be not only squishy, but also very low on resistances and the like.

Phaia

@TheGoat Every guide I have checked for witches strongly advise against multi-classing. So I doubt I will...I just looked close at GW's character and my blonde head spasmed and my husband was concerned cause I started giggling [or maybe cackling?]. So I started too look at combos...The only one so far I have see that has an outside possibility is a Wildblooded [sage]-Sorcerer [int based sorcerer though with only 2 spells known at 1st level could cast them a lot]. I do have to thank GW for expanding my horizons with PF. He ALWAYS seems to come up with something that makes me go  :o :o ;D

@Anon315  :o Again I learn a new possible race! Nice one Anon. I can see why he may be ship security hard to work feminine charms on him  O:)

Looks like we have a diverse but very interesting main crew shaping up...I may make a couple of 4th levels but I am gonna call them 'Red Shirts'  :P :P

Phaia

Anon315

There's also a wis based sorcerer bloodline. I did that + monk + dragon disciple.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Phaia on July 06, 2014, 04:03:30 PM
Looks like we have a diverse but very interesting main crew shaping up...I may make a couple of 4th levels but I am gonna call them 'Red Shirts'  :P :P

I'm making a ship's healer, for what it's worth. From what I've written up so far, they can heal 5d6+5 HP in AoE (22.5 on average, though it covers multiple people), and 5d6+5d8+25 HP single-targeted (135 on average) over the course of a day.

Phaia

I was thinking and as everyone knows that can lead to all sorts of things!

Since it has been at least a day since the wreck, damage to the ship,  those of us that have it should memorize 'Mending'. We could help hurry along repairs with it as long as all the parts and pieces are there. Like torn sails and rigging. Damaged or broken spars. Rope. Even planks and etc as long as it can be pushed together mending should repair it! It won't help with all the parts that are gone or shattered or the air elemental [where are the druids anyway since they can take an elemental shape hehe]

Phaia

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Oh good grief. I made the mistake of looking at Alchemist PrC options. My poor little kobold will probably never reach level 16 and be able to BECOME A MUTANT DRAGON.

But I now think that's why she's studying alchemy. ;D She is definitely shaping up to be a dragon-sized ego in a kobold-sized package.

SOMEDAY, she is going to be a dragon. (Insert mad, evil genius laughter)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Phaia

**encourages the mad little kobold by having tiny little dragons flying around her head and chasing her with faint words and puffs of flame coming from them**  [Prestidigitation and Ghost Sounds]

>:) >:) O:)

Phaia

CarnivalOfTheGoat

It seems fairly reasonable to assume that the ship has some sort of provisions, having been outfitted for exploration, so we're not faced with having to buy canteens and food? Not to mention, oh...ROPE. :D

(You jest. We have no rope aboard this vessel. Now if you'd like some LINE we have plenty of that.)

Also, if one was aboard AS an alchemist or other crafter, with one's requisite crafting gear, how (as the game progresses) would materials for concocting/manufacturing things be handled? Barring ports where we could actually buy components.

This is sort of a big deal for an alchemist, specifically. Potions be damned, when you run out of your limited number of bombs/day you still get your 'Throw Anything' special bonuses with alchemical splash items. ;D

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Phaia

Call Rainna 'Cooky'  :P
Profession [Chef] +8 and then there is Craft -Stew +12...Yeap she can turn that old shoe into a tasty stew!!  ;D
Ya can have those alchemy stuff and crafty weapons things...Cooky gives ya a tasty stew and full belly  :P :P

Phaia

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Phaia on July 06, 2014, 11:09:46 PM
Call Rainna 'Cooky'  :P
Profession [Chef] +8 and then there is Craft -Stew +12...Yeap she can turn that old shoe into a tasty stew!!  ;D
Ya can have those alchemy stuff and crafty weapons things...Cooky gives ya a tasty stew and full belly  :P :P

Phaia

Sneaking into the kitchen at two AM to get a cooky to nibble on never sounded so good.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Phaia

ya start nibbling on 'cooky' and she might just learn this hex... Kobold stew anyone??

Cook People (Su)
Effect: Using this hex creates one meal or serving of food of the witch’s choice, typically a delicious stew or a dough suitable for cookies, pastries, or other desserts. Cooking the victim takes 1 hour. Eating the food provides one of the following benefits for 1 hour: age resistance, bear’s endurance, bull’s strength, cat’s grace, eagle’s splendor, fox’s cunning, neutralize poison (instantaneous), owl’s wisdom, remove disease (instantaneous). Alternatively, the witch can shape the dough into a Small, human-like creature, animating it as a homunculus for 1 hour. The witch must have the cauldron hex to select this hex. Using this hex or knowingly eating its food is an evil act.

Phaia

SheerFantasia

Lots of activity over the weekend!  Time to get answering then.  Whilst I'm answering specifics to particular players, I recommend everyone read over them as they contain information for everyone:

@Anon315: I do understand where you're coming.  I'm not entirely comfortable with the round up option, but I am willing to grant full HP on 1st and 2nd level rolls.  Also note that under the Ultimate Campaign rules, it is possible to increase your HP up to the maximum your character would be allowed if they had rolled in full, at some time and gp by training your HP stat.

@Muse:  The way I'm envisioning this game thus far is to have people bounce in and out over various scenarios, so everyone (if they remain interested) should get a chance at some point or another to try out their characters.  Each scenario would take up to 6 players, and once completed, a new scenario will be put up and a chance for different players to step up their characters for the challenge.  So if you have something in mind, feel free to post it up!

@ExisD: Though not particularly fair on those who don't have Crafting Feats, lol, so I can't go with that.  I applaud the ingenuity though  ;D

@Phaia: I do like that idea.  After a little review, I'll consider the following: everyone allocates a solid 30 lbs. from their weight allowance (i.e. a floating 30 lbs. that is always on them); they have 150 gp floating equipment bonus until 8th level were they have 200 gp, and 250 gp at 12th level.  Sound good to you? (or anyone else for that matter?)

Feel free to create things for the origin of your character.  As far as I'm concerned, the origin world is a blank canvass (except for one or two insey-weensy details that are not important right now), so feel free, though try and limit it mostly to things that concern your character.

@Chulanowa: I'd like to open up as many options to players as possible, but given as the ACG is in playtest mode, there's large chances of balancing problems (and in my knowledge, Paizo playtest options go through heavy changes to when they become official), so I'm going to have to say sorry on that one.  :-(

Seeing as there is still a bit of development going on, I think I will set the start date for the first adventure scenario on 14th July to give everyone time to solidify their character concepts.  It will come as no surprise that the first adventure will be to get the ship-base flying again and back in order.  I think I'll have the custom campaign traits I've been working on by the 10th.  If I did miss anybody's queries, just bring them to my attention via PM (there was a lot to look over!)

Best to Everyone!
SF

Chulanowa

well, shoot... Sokay I guess, as-written none of them do anything that can't be pulled off by a published class, at least thematically.

I would ask about some other races, but, boy, I've already got my brain full as it is! THough, with so many elves, it's clear they'll let anything on this tub, so maybe there'll be hope for a ratfolk or gnoll...?

;D

Autocad

Is this still open for applications? And is there any crew role still lacking?

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Autocad on July 07, 2014, 08:12:54 AM
Is this still open for applications? And is there any crew role still lacking?

If you mean in terms of officers, the way in which the application post is worded suggests that crew members will be repositioned to specific roles AFTER the initial adventure. (Though nothing prevents you applying a character who has past experience in a similar role or who is an 'apprentice _______.') So nobody is guaranteed an officer's slot starting out.

If you mean general crew of all sorts, there's plenty of room for them.

The ship has sails, so all the various sorts of sailors are potential. It also has cannon, if you'd care to apply for the role of gunner.

Wait. Where's our cabin boy? Can't weigh anchor without our cabin boy!

Far as I can tell, we've got interest noted (and some apps for) a cook, a passenger, an engineer, an artificer (not entirely sure of the difference between the two on this ship), a stowaway (they don't let you leave dock without one!), an archery ranger, an archery monk, a ship's security guy, a healer, an alchemyst/sciency type and a diplomat.

Did I leave out the partridge and the pear tree?

You can, of course, spend skill points to predispose towards a specific role (including apparently officer-type roles). This is a quote from the Interest thread:

Quote from: SheerFantasia on July 02, 2014, 05:25:33 AMI haven't decided on the prerequisites of all roles, but 6 ranks in both Profession (quartermaster) and Perception should help qualify for the role of Quartermaster, or for the scout: Ride 6 and Perception 6 should help the psychotic kobold qualify for the role of scout.

But no others have been specified.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Also, good grief I wasn't even LOOKING for kobold stuff when this hit my dash...

"Warm blood is so...exotic..."

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Green Goo Theory

Same question as autocad.  Also, any 3.5 material available? 
Coming soon...