Computer trouble. Please help!

Started by Fertile Myrtle, June 11, 2009, 12:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fertile Myrtle

Thank god you're here. I'm in such distress. For the past couple weeks I've been casually working on a 3,000+ word post in Open Office, frequently saving and whatnot. Well, tonight firefox decides to freak out and slow down my entire system, causing me to manually restart (I was working on the document while this was happening). The smoke cleared and everything seems to be working fine, except now my post is a 0 byte read only file. What the hell.

Can this be fixed? At first I thought I'd just do System Restore, but that apparently doesn't affect documents. Is there a way I can completely reset my computer to a couple hours ago, documents and all? Or maybe there's a way to fix this in Open Office?

I'm on an HP Pavilion dv7-1243cl (Vista) and I was typing the document out on Open Office 3.0. Do you need more information?

This is my hour of need!

Fertile Myrtle & YOU!
(My O/O's - Last Updated - Dec 10th 2010)
Absences & Apologies
(Last Updated - August 8th)

Vekseid

If you actually start up open office it should offer document recovery. Otherwise, make sure you can view hidden files and folders, browse to the directory in Windows Explorer, you may see a temporary file that you can open : )

Fertile Myrtle

It actually recovered into the blank read only it is now.  :-(

Even though I'm an administrator, is it possible I can't see hidden files or folders? When I opened up the Windows Explorer file, all I got was a few files for my AIM and for my webcam. None of it had recent documents or anything. Am I looking into the wrong file?

Fertile Myrtle & YOU!
Absences & Apologies

Lithos

It is very possible and likely, you can check displaying all files by doing this:

1. Click the round blue Start thing in the left corner
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Folder Options
4. Click the View tab
5. Click Show hidden files and folders
6. If you want to see system files as well, unclick Hide protected operating system files (You need this to get to AppData folder I think)
7. Click OK

You can see backup files OO has kept in this location: (in your home directory)

AppData > Roaming > OpenOffice.org > (some number for profile) > user > backup

And default location where OO saves your files is your Documents folder.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Fertile Myrtle

Ah! I wasn't seeing hidden files. But, that's fixed. Unfortunately, I open up my documents/Windows explorer again and I still get the same three files. Even inside them, I'm seeing a couple more files but they're useless.

Anymore ideas?

Are Windows Explorer and documents the same thing? Because when I search for 'Windows Explorer' and click on the name, it just directs me to Documents.

Fertile Myrtle & YOU!
Absences & Apologies

Lithos

I wish I could help with screenshots but my version of vista is finnish. I can only show the location where you need to go.

Basically what you should do would be navigating to that backups folder with your windows explorer. Then you should find file which has name of your document and .bak ending.

the address bar like thingy on your explorer should look like this on your explorer (starting name being your username, not lithos of course)

you should copy that .bak file to somewhere else and open it with OpenOffice.

What you should NOT do is leave the empty document open for auto backups, otherwise it overwrites backup that might have contained your data with the empty content.
--

Fertile Myrtle

LITHOSILOVEYOUILOVEYOUILOVEYOUILOVEYOU<333

Fertile Myrtle & YOU!
Absences & Apologies

Fertile Myrtle

It worked, btw  ;)

You are so wonderful in every single way. Can I get you something? Coffee? Foot rub?

Fertile Myrtle & YOU!
Absences & Apologies

Lithos

Coffee would be lovely <3

And I am glad to hear it worked :)
--

Fertile Myrtle

Fertile Myrtle & YOU!
Absences & Apologies