The Last Great D&D Game

Started by OldSchoolGamer, June 26, 2007, 07:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Far eyes

Remembers the belt from BG I  ;D
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Muse

*Chuckles*  Ah, the ever popular girlde of femenininty/masculinity.  Just keep it away from Minsk! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Mindhazingsquid

I'm in too, this sounds like much fun!

OldSchoolGamer

Note that I am also recruiting for monsters to meet the D&Ders on the other side.

Brylion

I would love to play this game, if you're still looking for players.

Sarat

Seriously, where do I sign up?

Josh the Aspie

Far eyes

Is the game happening, I would be interested in playing as a monster or as a player I am happy with both and have some ideas
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Far eyes on July 07, 2007, 05:00:23 PM
Is the game happening, I would be interested in playing as a monster or as a player I am happy with both and have some ideas

Yes, the game is happening...I was away on business for a few days.

PM me with character concepts for humans from this world that find themselves in the D&D world, or humanoid monsters in the D&D world.  In both cases, your character will likely begin with some history I invent, in addition to the history you come up with.

Zakharra

Oh, this sounds very interesting. It sounds like a 'Guardians of the Flame' sort of game. I would like to try it, have room for another?

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Zakharra on July 07, 2007, 08:39:43 PM
Oh, this sounds very interesting. It sounds like a 'Guardians of the Flame' sort of game. I would like to try it, have room for another?

Sure....just PM me.

OldSchoolGamer

Founded by ex-miners in 1892, Winchester is a medium-sized town in the Central Valley of California, tucked into the east side, right where the flat farmlands begin to be folded into the gently rolling orchards and forests of the Sierra Nevada foothills.  Because of the state college, the town has more than its share of nerds and gamers.  This being the brave old year of 1985, Dungeons and Dragons has yet to gain a widespread following outside that group...

Winchester has its share of secrets...perhaps when the Internet is widespread and researchers put the pieces together, the town will be investigated more thoroughly.  But for now, the town's secrets rest in a dozen disconnected places, in the memories of old-timers, in the records of the railroad company whose workers found odd artifiacts of an unseen tribe of Indians as well as a skeleton that fit no known species, the airmen at the now-defunct Army Air Corps base who noticed that compasses became hopelessly queered over the east woods, the local sorority that lost two sisters during an initiation back in 1979.  The long-defunct East Town Circus that plied the Central Valley during the Twenties and Thirties, having amongst its attractions, a green-skinned "freak of nature" called Pig-Man.

Bits and pieces, yes...but no one to put them together.

But on the night of April 5th, 1985, a group of D&D players at a cabin to the east of Winchester will learn the town's incredible secret. 

Whether any survive to tell the tale is another question.

Chameleon

Are you still looking for more players... playing players?

OldSchoolGamer

After slugging it out with a few days of RL bullshit, here is the thread opener I wrote:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=10523.0

OldSchoolGamer

Oh, if you sent me a character or monster concept, and I didn't respond, please re-send it.  The area the characters will be in is an orc-infested land near a human settlement.

OldSchoolGamer

I'm still looking for monsters and other denizens to play in the D&D world laid out here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=10534.0

Note that monsters should be humanoid.  Drow are not allowed.  Your monsters can gain experience and have their own plotlines...you will not be mere foils for the human adventurers from Earth.

Sarat

OldSchoolGamer

I'm back now...all I can say is this summer's been a balls-up for me.  But I am still keenly interested in this game and storyline.

Sarat

Cool. I enjoy reading it. Any need for another player? =P

OldSchoolGamer

I'm actually in the process of expanding it into a full-fledged campaign, writing some backstory and campaign materials. 

Caustic

Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

OldSchoolGamer

No resubmits...I'm going to adapt existing characters to the milieu.  It will take a little time, but I do believe everyone will find it to be worth the wait.  There will be races and deities defined...for monsters as well as humans and demihumans.  I'd like to do more than just a cobbled-together hack-and-slash.

Caustic

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on August 29, 2007, 02:26:03 AM
No resubmits...I'm going to adapt existing characters to the milieu.  It will take a little time, but I do believe everyone will find it to be worth the wait.  There will be races and deities defined...for monsters as well as humans and demihumans.  I'd like to do more than just a cobbled-together hack-and-slash.

OK.  Assuming you received the first submission.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

OldSchoolGamer

Here is the beginnings of a sourcebook for Palmatia, the town in which the adventure takes place:

The campaign setting of Palmatia begins in and around the eponymous town.  Home to about 50,000 souls, the town of Palmatia is expected to become a full-fledged city in another generation or two.  Provided it is able to survive, of course…more on that a bit later.

The origins of Palmatia are lost in the smoke of the post-Firefall world.  Approximately one thousand years ago, a catastrophe befell the world.  (Some sages believe there may be areas of the world that were less affected, or unaffected, but no contact has been made with these areas, if in fact they exist.)  The most visible sign of the catastrophe was the storm of meteorites that fell from the heavens, blasting the landscape, raising tsunamis, and bringing a violent end to a human civilization which, according to most accounts, was more advanced than what the human race has managed to achieve at the current time.

After the Firefall came several years of intense heat.  Summers were long and hot, winters short and mild.  Droughts overran many of the temperate regions, with hurricanes blowing across the tropics.  The climate then lurched in the other direction, nearly tipping the planet into an Ice Age.  Magic ceased to function for nearly two decades.  By most accounts, 25 years after the Firefall, the human population was about a fifth of what it had been…
But by the end of the fourth decade, magic returned to the world, and the climate stabilized.  The human race began the long climb back…for the first couple centuries in villages and hamlets, and by the fourth century, into towns.  By the end of the fifth century, certain aspects of human civilization pre-Firefall began to reassert themselves.  The nations and kingdoms and fiefs that had existed before the Firefall had been blasted, fried and frozen into insignificance, lost in the dusts and snows.  The tendency of humans to gather into groups, to forge nations which then turned against nation…that had emerged unscathed, merely waiting for the chance to reassert itself.

By the middle of the sixth century, the Great Game was underway in earnest.

Three mighty city-states emerged: the Light of Letheese, the Sangoonis, and the Empire of Northwood.  The first was run by the clerics of Suun, the Illuminated One, to whom all other gods were false and of the forces of darkness.  The second was a polyglot seafaring state, an empire in all but name, whose corsairs and tradesmen owned or controlled ports for a hundred miles up and down the coast, through which leftover bits and pieces of the Old World—the world before the Firefall—flowed.  The third involved an alliance between druids, elves and backwoods humans who did not care to be under the boot of the Letheese.

For three centuries, these three nations vied for power…sometimes peacefully, often not so.  Late in the eighth century, hoplites and cavalry from a race of bronze-skinned humanoids calling themselves the Children of Alexander landed on the coast, swiftly asserting control and founding a new city-state, bringing strange gods and goddesses like Zeus, Aphrodite, Hermes and Poseidon.  For a time, the existing three united to try and drive these newcomers into the sea from whence they came, but were fought to a standstill in an epic battle in the hills surrounding the Alexandrian city.  By blood and bronze and courage and iron, the Alexandrians established their right to exist in this new land.

Besides, an old threat made new had taken the spotlight…

Just as humans had been making their recovery from the Firefall, so had the Benighted Races…the orcs, the gnolls, the trolls, the hill giants.  They had been a bit slower to recover…but their very fecundity ensured that these races would recover…and once their recovery began, it would proceed rapidly.  And it did…and in the present time, the four Nations of Man are finding more and more of their energies devoted to confronting the threat posed by the Benighted Races.

As if these conflicts are not sufficient, sages and peddlers alike whisper that the Firefall appears to have opened doorways between this world and another with strange people and things.  Legends are too numerous to be dismissed…a metal, mechanical dragon that killed a cohort of the Benighted orcs, another group of people with jet-black skins calling themselves “Zoo-loo” quietly setting themselves up their own territory, still another olive-skinned tribe with sticks speaking fire and bearing a banner showing a rising sun whose raping and pillaging rivals that of the Benighted themselves.  And rumors have it that the Benighted are receiving help from a shadowy group of wizards from this other world, who quest for a black, gooey substance used in fire magic as their own supply of this substances runs low…

So where does this leave Palmatia?

For the past two centuries, Palmatia has managed to avoid being drawn into the conflicts between the city-states, mainly by virtue of its ocation.  Situated far from the capitals of the city-states, Palmatia has been but a footnote in the plots and schemes of the great powers.  Freed from having to play a role in the affairs of the powerful, the town has prospered...until the rise of the Benighted began to cast a shadow about a decade ago.

Not pledging fealty to a liege lord did wonders for the Palmatian economy, but its military was sorely lacking.  So when the nascent orc and gnoll tribes began raiding, there was little the town could do...

But the humanoid denizens of the deep woods were as crafty as they were wicked.  Two tribes menaced Palmatia: the orcish Fist of the Iron Claw, and the gnoll Pack of the New Moon.  While the two different species clashed with each other at times, usually an uneasy peace existed.  And rather than sack the town, the tribes opted for an approach that was more leech-like than wolf-like.  First it was the theft of a cow or sheep here and there.  Then, as the Benighted grew bolder, the occasional maiden was taken, "used," and then returned...often carrying monstrous offspring.

As the monstrous tribes gradually become bolder and more numerous, Palmatia has almost become two towns.  One is the Palmatia of the daytime, which looks like a normal town.  Merchants, smiths, farmers and hunters ply their business.  There is laughter and commerce...children playing.

But as the sun dips low and the shadows grow long, the other Palmatia shows through.  Cattle are brought inside, doors are locked, and womenfolk in particular are kept indoors.  The Terror makes itself felt as the twilight deepens and the stars begin to come out.  Especially for those living near the edge of town, sleep does not come easily.  There is the dread of that knock at the door, and an inhuman voice demanding something...perhaps silver...maybe food...perhaps a cow...or, more and more often, a wife or daughter...

OldSchoolGamer

Okay, I know as far as posting rate I've been something of a jag-off lately (mainly due to system/connectivity problems) but I've actually gotten this game going again.  I also got ahold of a cellular PDA/phone, so I can login and update it from work between calls.