Must See movies of 2011

Started by Callie Del Noire, January 05, 2011, 12:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: LunarSage on July 29, 2011, 03:13:49 PM
So now that Fast Five has (presumably) been seen, was anyone disappointed as hell?  I heard really bad things though I haven't seen it myself.
I got what I expected.. A heist movie, with the Rock, Vin and company.

It was pretty good. (better thank 2 &3 I thought).

Diabolus Lupus

Quote from: LunarSage on July 29, 2011, 03:13:49 PM
So now that Fast Five has (presumably) been seen, was anyone disappointed as hell?  I heard really bad things though I haven't seen it myself. 

I enjoyed it. pretty much what it was touted to be Vin and crew pulling off a robbery. With some tuned up cars and millions of dollars worth of property damages. One of the best parts was the teaser for a sixth movie.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Diabolus Lupus on July 29, 2011, 07:54:44 PM
I enjoyed it. pretty much what it was touted to be Vin and crew pulling off a robbery. With some tuned up cars and millions of dollars worth of property damages. One of the best parts was the teaser for a sixth movie.

I usually ask this question.. 'Was it better than anything by Uwe Boll?"  If the answer is yes, just sit back, suspend disbielf and enjoy some time off and relax.

LunarSage

Uwe Boll?  Wasn't he a basketball player?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Oniya

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093051/

The only movies on his IMDB list that I've heard of are the Bloodrayne movies and 'Postal'. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kuroneko

There are two teasers in Captain America.  One at the end of the film itself, and one at the end of the credits.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

LunarSage

Sadly it looks like the franchise is going to be going fully Ultimates-style.  I'm a sad panda.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: LunarSage on July 30, 2011, 02:01:22 PM
Sadly it looks like the franchise is going to be going fully Ultimates-style.  I'm a sad panda.

Only in that they are put together by SHIELD. I mean you got the initial villain of Loki, who will be manipulating things behind the scenes.. (which is how they originally formed in the comics)

LunarSage

I'm talking visually.  Hawkeye's costume on the Avengers movie poster is blatantly Ultimates, as is Cap's (I only pray they keep Cap's personality more akin to his 616 character rather the Ultimate "I'm just as much of a bastard as anyone else" version), and if the trailer at the end of Captain America is to be believed,
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Thor will have his capeless, sleeveless glowy-chestpiece Ultimates appearance as well. 

The only Avenger that won't look like they stepped out of Ultimates is Iron Man, and I've even heard whispers that they may change his armor to the Ultimates version for Avengers.  Very disappointing considering everything up to this point has been pretty solidly 616 stuff (not to mention I loathe Ultimates with a burning passion).

Callie Del Noire

Of all the Ultimate (and Ultimate comic) titles, I will admit that that the Ultimates/Avengers are the least favorites.. now that Marvel has killed off Peter Parker in the Ultimate-verse, I'm doubting I will be following the line much longer. I disliked the 'older smarter Stark brother' and 'Original gangsta hulk' stuff they added to the Ultimates.

Of course killing off Doc Strange and countless others in the senseless way they did irked me too.

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 30, 2011, 02:45:37 PM
Of all the Ultimate (and Ultimate comic) titles, I will admit that that the Ultimates/Avengers are the least favorites.. now that Marvel has killed off Peter Parker in the Ultimate-verse, I'm doubting I will be following the line much longer. I disliked the 'older smarter Stark brother' and 'Original gangsta hulk' stuff they added to the Ultimates.

Of course killing off Doc Strange and countless others in the senseless way they did irked me too.

Just remember:  In the world of Marvel, you're not dead until they try to bring you back and fail.  And the votes are still out on whether that's the real end.

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/swil/FILKS/filkbook1.html#37
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on July 30, 2011, 02:51:44 PM
Just remember:  In the world of Marvel, you're not dead until they try to bring you back and fail.  And the votes are still out on whether that's the real end.

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/swil/FILKS/filkbook1.html#37

Unfortunately they (Marvel) have stated in the Ultimateverse, dead is dead. (Though there are several instances where folks came back) They have said anyone that died during the Ultimatum event is dead, dead, dead. (ie.. No more Wolverine, Prof X, Angel, Doc Strange, Magneto, Cyclops and the rest of the dead)

Oniya

I suspect that will change when it becomes financially advisable to bring someone back.  There's always 'advanced cloning techniques' and any of a number of other contingencies in the comic world.  Someone will say 'Remember that one guy?  He was pretty popular.  Let's put him into a story line to boost sales.'  'Oh - we killed him off back in issue #1324.'  'Well, why don't we say that...'

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on July 30, 2011, 03:12:16 PM
I suspect that will change when it becomes financially advisable to bring someone back.  There's always 'advanced cloning techniques' and any of a number of other contingencies in the comic world.  Someone will say 'Remember that one guy?  He was pretty popular.  Let's put him into a story line to boost sales.'  'Oh - we killed him off back in issue #1324.'  'Well, why don't we say that...'

Well that will have to be when Bendis gives up on it.

Anjasa

Quote from: Oniya on July 30, 2011, 12:14:14 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0093051/

The only movies on his IMDB list that I've heard of are the Bloodrayne movies and 'Postal'.

House of the Dead is the best/worst movie I have ever, EVER seen.

House of the Dead Movie - Part 6/9 is pretty much the best scene ever (well, it starts at the end of part 5. It lasts a really, really long time; the song even loops.)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Anjasa on July 30, 2011, 04:07:30 PM
House of the Dead is the best/worst movie I have ever, EVER seen.

House of the Dead Movie - Part 6/9 is pretty much the best scene ever (well, it starts at the end of part 5. It lasts a really, really long time; the song even loops.)

Can't see it where I live. Which, given it's Uwe Boll isn't a bad thing.

Here is the secret of Uwe Boll. He produces movies that can't help but fail. By failing his backers get a tax write off, which is where they make their money on it. (Don't ask me how.) He uses some part of the German tax code to do it that I don't understand.

He's also an ego centric maniac who is puffed up by his own self-worth, though I don't know why. He's stated in the past that he'd fight any published critic in a boxing match, though I heard he was very selective about whom he picked, since he knew how to box. He's bad mouthed several more successful directors. He's also made several promises to stop making movies if enough folks signed a petion and so forth. He's a total whack job. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Boll

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 30, 2011, 04:24:34 PM
Can't see it where I live. Which, given it's Uwe Boll isn't a bad thing.

Here is the secret of Uwe Boll. He produces movies that can't help but fail. By failing his backers get a tax write off, which is where they make their money on it. (Don't ask me how.) He uses some part of the German tax code to do it that I don't understand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Boll

Max Bialystock: Don't you see, darling Bloom, glorious Bloom? It's so simple. STEP ONE: We find the worst play ever written, a surefire flop. STEP TWO: I raise a million bucks. Lots of little old ladies out there. STEP THREE: You go back to work on the books, two of them - one for the government, one for us. You can do it, Bloom; you're a wizard! STEP FOUR: We open on Broadway. And before you can say STEP FIVE, we *close* on Broadway! STEP SIX: We take our million bucks and fly to *Rio!*

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on July 30, 2011, 06:04:05 PM
Max Bialystock: Don't you see, darling Bloom, glorious Bloom? It's so simple. STEP ONE: We find the worst play ever written, a surefire flop. STEP TWO: I raise a million bucks. Lots of little old ladies out there. STEP THREE: You go back to work on the books, two of them - one for the government, one for us. You can do it, Bloom; you're a wizard! STEP FOUR: We open on Broadway. And before you can say STEP FIVE, we *close* on Broadway! STEP SIX: We take our million bucks and fly to *Rio!*

I think that most of the folks that do that game don't claim to be the brightest things since sliced bread though. Boll has a major ego problem. He says he should be the one to make a Metal Gear or Halo movie.

Wolfy

Captain America is a Must see.

Cowboys vs Aliens....eh. >_> Apparently it's too boring a movie for the concept at hand...it manages to make old west cowboys vs high tech aliens boring, which should be nigh impossible.

See, you go in expecting John Wayne vs The Predator, and all you get is..boredom. o3o

Jag

[noembed]Hugo Cabret Trailer - Thanksgiving 2011[/noembed]

I loved the book so much. I hope the movie ends up as good as the book.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Violence

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 31, 2011, 02:40:58 PM
[noembed]Hugo Cabret Trailer - Thanksgiving 2011[/noembed]

I loved the book so much. I hope the movie ends up as good as the book.

^.^; I didn't know it was based on a book, but I remember seeing the trailer when we went to see Harry Potter and turning to my friend and saying: "Is it gay that I wanted to see this as soon as I saw Jude Law?"

It looks like a pretty charming movie, and if nothing else it felt very unique watching the trailer.  Visually and atmospherically, I mean.
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Jag

Quote from: Violence on July 31, 2011, 04:57:50 PM
^.^; I didn't know it was based on a book, but I remember seeing the trailer when we went to see Harry Potter and turning to my friend and saying: "Is it gay that I wanted to see this as soon as I saw Jude Law?"

It looks like a pretty charming movie, and if nothing else it felt very unique watching the trailer.  Visually and atmospherically, I mean.

The book was visually wonderful too.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.

QuoteWith 284 pictures between the book's 533 pages, the book depends equally on its pictures as it does the actual words. Selznick himself has described the book as "not exactly a novel, not quite a picture book, not really a graphic novel, or a flip book or a movie, but a combination of all these things."

Leighdy here on E did a review of the book for April/May 2011's Herald & Post: Book Reviews.

Violence

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 31, 2011, 05:12:02 PM
The book was visually wonderful too.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick.

Leighdy here on E did a review of the book for April/May 2011's Herald & Post: Book Reviews.

Between that and Let the Right One In, it seems like a trip to the bookstore is in order for me.  Or at least an extra tab open to Amazon or something.  I intend on seeing the movie, the trailer was captivating.  I wonder then if it would be a better idea to wait till after the film to read it, though, in case they mess something up? *ponder*

On the topic of movies, though, I still need to wrangle some friends to go see Smurfs with me... ^.^;; my brother just laughed at me when I asked. >.>;
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Jag

I saw Smurfs last night. I went by myself because no one would go with me. I liked it, but then I rarely have anything bad to say about a movie unless it's really, really bad acting and a bad story. Smurfs was a nice trip back to my childhood and one of those 'turn your brain off and just laugh' movies.

As for Hugo, my husband bought me the book for Mother's Day. I tore through it in less than a day and I've gone back to it several times just to look at the drawings and the detail in them. I wouldn't wait till after the movie, but that's just me.