The Children of Mother Earth (open recruitment)

Started by mj2002, July 31, 2013, 05:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oceanspool

Good idea! I'm sorry I can't play another character - I'd rather start off light because this is the first time I've RP'd in a while, and also I'm going back to uni in two weeks so I'll be quite busy. But definitely start next week!

Inari

I would possibly be interested in playing a Badener. Be warned that I start college in two weeks so my activity might go funny. May I also ask if tattooed characters are acceptable?

SugarAndSpice

I'm going back to uni soon too, but I fully intend to play this :D I'll need something to help me relax.

Inari

I had writers block when I had to knuckle down at college and because I had been out of education for so long I wasn't used to all the pressure on top of real life stuff. Unfortunately I ended up stopping my solos because I felt so crappy about leaving them unreplied for so long. However now I have my exam results (not what I was expecting...) and will be starting college again on the 2nd I feel some what more relaxed. With this I also feel the craving to start writing again...

Idachan

I think this sounds really interesting and I would also like to join. While I'd definitely play female I could go with either faction so let me know which would be prefferable and I'll apply.

eiselmann

Quote from: mj2002 on August 23, 2013, 03:12:33 PM
I'm giving it a little more time, but you're probably right. If we don't get any more Badeners before next Monday, we're starting regardless. I'm leaving the opportunity open for people to join after that date.

We can always refer to various NPC's without fleshing them out too much

Speaking of which what is the actual strength of the Baden's , picking the ships crew would have some training in personal combat, obviously not t the level of Marines but enough to be of value ,against the local population
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

mj2002

Quote from: Idachan on August 23, 2013, 04:50:25 PM
I think this sounds really interesting and I would also like to join. While I'd definitely play female I could go with either faction so let me know which would be prefferable and I'll apply.
There's no females on the expedition ship, so I'm afraid your choice is limited to one of the roles with the people of Thule.

Quote from: eiselmann on August 23, 2013, 05:10:41 PM

Speaking of which what is the actual strength of the Baden's , picking the ships crew would have some training in personal combat, obviously not t the level of Marines but enough to be of value ,against the local population
I haven't decided on this yet, also because our expedition crew isn't complete. I will elaborate on this though, probably in the first story post.

oceanspool

Quote from: eiselmann on August 23, 2013, 05:10:41 PM

Yes I was planning to do this, just refer to random Marines :)

Mj how many people are on the ship altogether? 8 playable roles, then I assume the ship's crew, and would there be other random Marines?

SugarAndSpice

Funny how we mention a time limit/ start date and suddenly we have more people applying lols Can't wait for Monday :D

SugarAndSpice

Awesome, don't forget to put the character sheet up so we can all see him :)

oceanspool

Inari

I guess I can show what I have done so far... I just hope gm doesn't tell me off. >.<

oceanspool

Inari

Name: Baldur Arwin
Role: Diplomat
Background: Baldur is from a long line of traders and his family line always married off or sold off their daughters if the price was right. His mother was sold off to a mercenary who was strict but fair and earned his money hunting down criminals. He still allowed her to visit her family once she had earned his trust and bore him a child. Due to the difficulty of Baldur's birth it left his mother unable to bare any more possible children. Baldur never got to know his father's family because his father was an orphan and had no idea who his parents were, which wasn't uncommon in the Empire. Growing up he saw the values of males vs females and was raised with great expectations.

Through his mother's family he learned that women were servants to men and were just ends to justify whatever goal one wished for. Be it money, land or high social ties. Women were the gateway to it all and were animals that needed to learn their place by their master's side. However, through his father he learned that women weren't just servants to men but were also to be valued, loved, protected and cared for. Once when he asked his father about why he treated his mother so respectfully he told him a man's wife is as beautiful as passion and happiness that she possesses with the man she was tied to in this world. And that it was a man's duty to provide for a woman if he were to expect anything in return. From his mother he learned that respect and trust were things to be earned and that love always came from unexpected places.

As a result of this all this Baldur learned to balance of his upbringing. To him women were beautiful creatures that were entertaining but at the same time were very useful to befriend and charm in high places. He also learned the best way to woo a women was to gain the trust and respect of her family and peers. Overall he became a master at manipulation and playing the games that came with it became something he did to get what he wanted.

Due to pressure from his mother's family Baldur's parents was forced to send him to schools in which he mingled with some of higher societies children. His mother's family were also quick to exploit the friendships he made, much to the annoyance of his parents. Because of this he learned that trust and respect were not to be given freely and how to manipulate odds in his favor. What was of great disappointment to his mother's family but was considered a victory to his parents was the fact he decided he would go on survival training with his father for a few years before going to serve the Empire's army. Once he was finished with both he then went onto to study politics and philosophy and slowly rose through the ranks until he was appointed a diplomat for traders, farmers or land owners who had quarrels.

He has had offers of marriage but has turned them down due to the fact they were all arranged by his mother's family in some way or another. However, that hasn't stopped him forging friendships of convenience, which has proved useful both before and during his career. 

Tired of being harassed by his mother's family to settle down he took the opportunity to escape this annoyance he decided to serve his nation by going onto the expedition in case they encountered anyone on their mission to gain more materials to keep their Empire going. He would also be there to settle any quarrels before mutiny broke out.   

Personality: When Baldur firsts meets people he is polite, warm, charming and easy going, however, underneath the seemly none judgmental exterior he is in fact paying attention to everything being said and done to evaluate a person on their intentions. Due to the amount of conflicts he has seen in his life time he has become a good at reading body language, a skill that has proved useful in his career as a Diplomat. Baldur isn't normally one to create conflicts but will jump in before they go too far, unless he thinks the conflict would be good and/or of benefit to him. He has no fear of people in authority but does not show this, as he learned from an early age that people in a higher position than he preferred compliant submissive personalities. He will usually do as he is requested unless it comes into conflict with his own code of morality. Baldur isn't easy to to anger or annoy as he has a good understanding on the human psyche, however, if he is angered enough he won't resort to his fists, he will resort to words. Everything he has learned about the individual he will twist against them until they either break down or flip out.  He has never had to raise his hand to anyone but knows how to defend himself should he need to.

Even though he seems trustworthy and respectful, Baldur himself does not trust anyone and part of him is always questioning a person's motives. When he first interacts with someone new he will be respectful to them for a short amount of time, after which if they have earned his respect he will continue doing so, however, if they haven't he will become manipulative towards them and if he sees fit to do so he will also direct them into trouble and come out as the innocent party. Unfortunately he has become like this because of how his mother's family have treated him his entire life. It is also the major reason why he has never been in a proper relationship with anyone.

============

I am considering cutting down the background if needed. I hope he is ok. ^^;;

oceanspool

I love it! Don't cut any! Who's in the photo you used? He looks familiar...

Inari

I am glad you like him. :3

He is Landon Liboiron and he plays Peter Rumancek in Hemlock Grove. The werewolf. :3

mj2002

Quote from: oceanspool on August 24, 2013, 09:46:06 AM
Yes I was planning to do this, just refer to random Marines :)

Mj how many people are on the ship altogether? 8 playable roles, then I assume the ship's crew, and would there be other random Marines?
I'm planning on keeping this number fuzzy in case people are to apply in the future. Think between 8-12 (or more), roughly.
Quote from: SugarAndSpice on August 24, 2013, 11:53:00 AM
Funny how we mention a time limit/ start date and suddenly we have more people applying lols Can't wait for Monday :D
I've accepted Baldur Arwin as our 4th Badener character and as such we are good to go. I'm going to try and find time tomorrow to open topics, though it could possibly take until Monday for me to finish them.
Quote from: Starcry on August 24, 2013, 12:31:58 PM
I will and I hope you like him. ;D
Accepted.

Inari

Thank you for accepting him. x

Also I look forward to the rp getting started. Take your time. <3

oceanspool

Quote from: mj2002 on August 24, 2013, 06:38:50 PM
I'm planning on keeping this number fuzzy in case people are to apply in the future. Think between 8-12 (or more), roughly.

Is that the total number of people on the ship including NPCs? As it would need a crew to sail it as well, unless the Marines double as sailors. And are we allowed to refer to NPCs to flesh it out a little?

I'm excited :D

mj2002

Quote from: oceanspool on August 25, 2013, 03:02:24 AM
Is that the total number of people on the ship including NPCs? As it would need a crew to sail it as well, unless the Marines double as sailors. And are we allowed to refer to NPCs to flesh it out a little?

I'm excited :D
I'm probably having the marines double as sailors. Feel free to refer to NPCs, I'll be doing the same thing.

Idachan

I'll be bringing this to the table.

Name: Sigrid
Role: Journeyman apothecary
Background: As the third daughter of a miller north of Julianhab it was quite clear from an early age that Sigrid would have to leave the family windmill, and quite possibly the village, in search of a position but somehow the fact was never enough to bring sorrow to either family or the girl herself. Sigrid had a rather ideal childhood with her older sisters taking the brunt of chores and assignments which left Sigrid with plenty of time on her hands to get into trouble with. The girl loved the fields and the wild equally and disheveled from crawling into the most inhospitable of places Sigrid would come in the evening with berries, flowers, leaves and mushrooms that had tickled her fancy. Even if her parents told her sternly that she couldn't eat just anything she found, she could at least look at them and smell them.

By the age of fifteen Sigrid had learned to identify plants by scent, and some taste as well as no matter how they scolded her some berries had always slipped past her lips, and it was time to start seeking employment. Her mother, Ditte,  first went to the village herbalist but with the woman having daughters of her own there was little room for an apprentice. It was really sheer luck that had Ditte discussing Sigrid's future at the markets one day and thus being overheard by the apothecary Ragnhild, who in turn had lost her latest apprentice to an accident in the wild and was stopping by for a rest along her journey. Arrangements were made and Sigrid followed the woman that very day, tearful and just turning sixteen, from the peaceful village to the more bustling Julianhab.

Sigrid's life as an apprentice wasn't easy by any means but given the girl's innate curiosity and like for plants, at least it wasn't dull and while harrowed at times Sigrid found herself liking both the profession and the city more and more. After two and half years under apprenticeship Sigrid passed Ragnhild's test and became an official journeyman, still doing much the same tasks as she had already but now earning a small amount instead of nothing. Due to her age though Ragnhild decided to keep Sigrid lodging with her untill she could find a nice boy from a good family to settle down with. A year later Sigrid still hasn't found that nice boy and Ragnhild has decided on taking one of her supply-gathering journeys, leaving Sigrid alone at the apothecary and hoping nothing out of the ordinary happens.

Personality: Sigrid is a hardworking girl when she has her sights set on something and she loves to learn new things, keeping an orderly inventory even if she doesn't give the most well put together impression. When not working she can be easily distracted and even prone to daydreaming as well as contemplative bouts. As a rather quiet girl Sigrid has never been terribly sociable but she's kind and agreeable, just not the loudest in the crowd.

oceanspool