Bible Black: Epistles (Noncon System)

Started by The Great Triangle, March 31, 2009, 02:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

You never know where you're going to find it.  The bible black is everwhere.  Nestled in the back of an occult bookstore, lying between dewey decimal points in the library, even sitting in the back seat of your car.  It's a plague hopping from wherever the hell it comes from to our dimension, and there are those who answer its siren call. 

The bible black promises power, glory, wealth beyond your wildest dreams.  In exchange, one only has to perform the rituals.  Disturbing orgiastic rites from an alien morality.  I'm looking to run a game for 3-6 players playing characters who have discovered some part of the bible black, and formed a magic circle to investigate its uses. 

The game will be using the cinematic unisystem and the Buffy RPG rules, with all the PCs as white hats.  All characters must have an occult library trait of at least 1.  Wacky characters like robots and slayers are permitted, but not necessarily recommended.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Creeper

I voice interest! I only have access to Army of Darkness though. Same basic system, but there might be mechanical differences. Is that okay?
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

The Great Triangle

That should be fine.  Army of darkness has essentially the same punishment based magic system, right?

(Spells are almost impossible to get off correctly, take a long time, and often go wrong in amusing ways)

Ons and Offs

Strangelildedgrl

I am very intrigued by the story...yet, I am not familiar with the system...are you only looking for those who have experience?

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Strangelildedgrl on March 31, 2009, 09:23:00 AM
I am very intrigued by the story...yet, I am not familiar with the system...are you only looking for those who have experience?

Nope!  Complete system newbies are perfectly fine.  The purpose of using a game system is to provide some guidance and structure to the game and to prevent godmoding.  A game about a bunch of cultists can quickly devolve into the characters attempting to rape each other, or otherwise engage in conflict.

The system defines your characters in three main ways.  The first way is attributes, which define how strong/fast/smart your character is. 

The second way is skills, which define how much your character knows, whether about obscure Sumerian languages, magical rituals, or how to break someone's arm. 

Finally, the third way is qualities and drawbacks, which define both special things about your character (being good looking, owning an occult library, being the chosen demonslayer ect.) and bad things about your character (having mental problems, being a teenager, being a werewolf in the worst way etc.)

The simplest way to create a character is simply to define your character qualitatively, then let someone familiar with the system define the character quantitatively.  The system can then be explained to you from there.  The general idea is that to be exceptional at something, you'll have to be weak in something else.  So to be extremely smart, you'll have to be weak or clumsy, or perhaps be a head in the clouds sort of individual.  (low perception)  This is especially true if you want to be "world class" in any particular trait.

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

Bible Black? If I recall that is the Hentai series full of occult powers, innocent women getting ravished my pretty much everyone and big battles against them from time to time. Yummy ...

System game is nice but I never played it or own the rules. But I could go for the the system playing the uber-adorable dabbler in the occult that is a virgin and about to get in wayyyyyy over her head.

The Great Triangle

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 31, 2009, 06:06:01 PM
Bible Black? If I recall that is the Hentai series full of occult powers, innocent women getting ravished my pretty much everyone and big battles against them from time to time. Yummy ...

System game is nice but I never played it or own the rules. But I could go for the the system playing the uber-adorable dabbler in the occult that is a virgin and about to get in wayyyyyy over her head.

That's not too hard to arrange.  I'll post some character creation information when I have time.  Depending on what players want to do, I'll either have players design their own magic spells, or simply give each player a (possibly secret) set of magical rituals they can use to various effects.  I'm planning on each player starting with one ritual for each rank of occultism they have, plus one additional spell for each point of occult library they have.  (A character must have occult library 1 to be able to have any rituals at all)

Ons and Offs

Creeper

Coolies. I hold off making a character until you've got the rules up.

Also, is a White Hat similar to a Primitive Screwhead or a Hero?

Elohim

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Creeper on March 31, 2009, 07:18:23 PM
Coolies. I hold off making a character until you've got the rules up.

Also, is a White Hat similar to a Primitive Screwhead or a Hero?

More similar to a primitive screwhead.  15 attribute points, 10 quality points, 15 skill points, and 20 drama points.  The drama points can also be called "cast spells correctly" points.  (they're also useful for coming back from the dead, healing, and kicking ass in combat)

The sorcery trait and the occult library trait are among the most important, although the magical rituals the players get will help drive the plot.  (often requiring players to interact and forge alliances to get magical materials.)

Ons and Offs

Myrleena

Thought I'd actually put in my interest.  :P

Creeper

I looked through my book and there is no rules for spellcasting :(. Will that be a problem?

The Great Triangle

Character Creation Information:

List of Attributes:  (15 points, each stat has a maximum of 6, the 6th point costs 3 points, so having a 6 in a stat costs 8 points)

Strength
Dexterity
Stamina
Intelligence
Perception
Will

List of Skills:
  (15 points, skills over level 5 cost 3 points per rank)

Acrobatics (dodge)
Art
Computers
Crime
Doctor
Driving
Getting Medieval (melee weapons and crossbows)
Gun Fu
Influence (socialization)
Knowledge
Kung Fu (unarmed combat)
Languages
Mr. Fix-It
Notice
Occultism  (All PCs smust have at least one rank)
Science
Sports
Wild Card (other)

List of qualities:
  (10 points) (package qualities in italic, mandatory qualities in bold)

Acute Senses 2pts.
Artist 2pts.
Attractiveness 1pt./rank max 5
Commando 4 points
Contacts 1-5 points
Eidetic Memory 2 points
Empathy 2 points
Enchanted/Superscience Item 2 points/rank
Fast Reaction Time 2 points
Good Luck 1 point/rank
Hard to Kill 1-5 points
Jock 3 points
Natural Toughness 2 points
Nerd 3 points
Nerves of Steel 3 points
Occult Investigator 3 points
Occult Library 1-5 points
Psychic Visions 1 point
Rank 1-9 points
Resistance 1 point/level.  Can apply to pain, poison, or magical influence.
Resources 1-5 points
Robot 5 points
Situational Awareness 2 points
Slayer 16 points
Sorcery 5 points/rank
Telepathy 5 points
The Sight 3 points
Vampire 15 points
Werewolf 6 points (full moon) 12 points (full lycanthrope)

List of Drawbacks:  (give you points, up to 10 points can be gained, then spent in any category, even drama points)

Addiction (Smoking: 1-2 points. Drinking: 1-4 points. Marijuana/Ecstasy: 2-3 points.  Cocaine/Methamphetamine: 4-5 points  Heroin: 5-6 points)
Adversary 1-6 points
Bad Luck 1-5 points
Clown  1 point
Covetous 1-3 points.  Can apply to sex, money, or fame/attention
Curse 1-10 points
Dependent (someone who needs you) 2 points
Emotional Problems 1-2 points, can apply to depression, codependency, fear of commitment, fear of rejection, insecurity, or loner
Honorable 1-3 points
Humorless 1 point
Impaired Senses 1-2 points
Lack of Resources 1-5 points, may not be combined with teenager
Love 2-4 points
Mental Problems 1-3, (can apply to cowardice, cruelty, delusions, obsession, paranoia, phobia, recklessness, or zealotry)
Minority 1 point
Misfit 2 points
Obligation 1-3 points
Physical Disability 1-8 points, 8 being quadriplegic
Recurring Nightmares does not exist.  Don't try.
Screwed-up Adolescent 3 points
Secret 1-3 points
Talentless 2 points
Teenager 2 points
Werewolf 3 points

Ons and Offs

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Creeper on March 31, 2009, 08:16:16 PM
I looked through my book and there is no rules for spellcasting :(. Will that be a problem?

Not likely.  Spellcasting is fairly simple.  You'll have a set of magical rituals.  If you've got the sorcery trait, you might even have one or two spells you can use without a 20 minute ritual beforehand. 

Spellcasting is a delicate business.  When you complete a ritual, you roll Intelligence + Occultism + Sorcery.  If the result is less than nine, you botched the ritual and nothing happens.  Lucky you.  If you succeed, your success level is compared to the level of the spell.  If it's not higher, than the spell goes wrong.  This can be damned dangerous. 

Ons and Offs

dataviper

I'm a big fan of Bible Black and would like to join in.

I don't have any of the rulebooks, but I can learn quickly

The Great Triangle

Quote from: dataviper on March 31, 2009, 09:04:29 PM
I'm a big fan of Bible Black and would like to join in.

I don't have any of the rulebooks, but I can learn quickly

You'll need to fill out the questionnaire and get approved before joining in, but I appreciate your enthusiasm.  :-)  (a mod will likely be along soon to explain further)

Ons and Offs

Thorn14

I might be interested as well!

Since we are going to be investigating, will we be playing Dommy characters?

The Great Triangle

Dominants are perfectly fine.  I'll give such characters more rapey spells than the investigator sorts.  (who will often have detection spells, and counterspells, if they're very very lucky)

Ons and Offs

Creeper

Aww, just detection and countermagic? I thought we were going to be messing around with the Bible Black and play with forces beyond our control to fulfill selfish wishes.

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Creeper on March 31, 2009, 11:06:08 PM
Aww, just detection and countermagic? I thought we were going to be messing around with the Bible Black and play with forces beyond our control to fulfill selfish wishes.

*giggles*  Be careful what you ask for.  ;) 

But yes, every player will have at least one spell to rape people with if they have a decent selection of spells.

Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

What no summoning uber-powerful sex fiends that are impossible to control what kind of Hentai game is this!?!?

:o

The Great Triangle

That's actually a level 1 spell.  (Don't trust demon summoning spells.  It's probably the last mistake you'll ever make)

Ons and Offs

Myrleena

Heh.  I already got my spell list.  Unfortunately for me, that was on it.  Now to figure out if my character is too curious for her own good...

RubySlippers

Can Occult Library be underground comic books? My character is going to be from a lack of other words a dumb but under-sexy and socialable woman I got an idea she learned her one spell from a comic book, off a Bible Black for inspiration. A really nice collection ...

Anything more complicated might hurt her head.  ;D

The Great Triangle

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 01, 2009, 09:48:31 AM
Can Occult Library be underground comic books? My character is going to be from a lack of other words a dumb but under-sexy and socialable woman I got an idea she learned her one spell from a comic book, off a Bible Black for inspiration. A really nice collection ...

Anything more complicated might hurt her head.  ;D

That's perfectly fine, and actually quite a creative use of the setting.  I think I'll be setting the game in Seattle, although I'm also leaning towards London.  :-)

Ons and Offs