News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Finding a GM?

Started by Missy, October 21, 2014, 03:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

Sp I'm kind of wondering if anyone has any advice on what might be the best way to go about finding a GM for a specific game if I don't feel confident in taking on a GM role myself?

I'm actually trying to get a game of 7th Sea going which is an older, but interesting sounding system game, but I know no one who is both able and willing to GM so it's a bit of a problem for obvious reasons.

Has anyone ever been in this position before? Does anyone have any advice for what I could do or what might or might not work to potentially make it happen?

Ebb

If you're talking about a forum game, I've seen plenty of posts in the Group Games Wanted forum that specify "(GM Needed)" in the subject line. I can't attest to how well they work, but it seems like a good tactic to attract a core group of players enthusiastic about the game and setting, which could help persuade someone who feels comfortable GMing the game to step up. I'm sure there are a lot of GM's and potential GM's out there who would be happy to run games, but don't want to necessarily deal with the headaches of recruiting. A ready-made group of players means skipping that awkward step.

If you're talking about in real life then of course different strategies would apply.

HairyHeretic

7th Sea is a pretty good game, if you enjoy your swashbuckling. I've played it a few times, both on forum games and tabletop RPGs. The mechanics aren't too hard to pick up either.

Looking for a GM to run a game here, your best bet is probably to open a thread in the group games wanted board, lay out what you want in terms of the game and see if anyone is willing to step up and run it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AmberStarfire

There have been a few games of 7th Sea on Elliquiy, but it seems a rare one on here. I agree with the idea of advertising for a GM, and if someone did start up a new game of it, other people might find a game they'd enjoy too. I know there tend to be a number of games of it on RPOL.net at any given time, though you may not wish to look off-site.

I GM'd 7th Sea for 4 or 5 years off-site, and played in other games of it as well (including tabletop). I still have a game of it that I was GMing on hiatus, but I'm not sure if I will be starting it up again. I got burned out from running it over time without much of a break, but it's still one of my favourite games.