DnD 3.5 Interest Check / Brainstorming - Cursed Dice

Started by Theik, June 19, 2011, 01:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mysterica

True, but it would be yet another "accidental" break in the wall.

Theik

That much is true. It might make things a lot more difficult though, unless the one playing the ingame DM is also the actual DM of the campaign. (Which I suppose would make the most sense anyway.)

This is starting to sound like lots of fun, if incredibly chaotic. xD

Mysterica

It is!  Most certainly!  A bit chaotic, but why should it need be otherwise.

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Theik

I suppose the argument could be made that chaos is fun.
It seems like there are plenty of good ideas floating around for a campaign like this, so I'll see what I can do about getting this thing going.
No promises though, my DnD is rusty, I haven't played in a few years. (And the last time I DMed is even longer ago. xD)

ExisD

Go go chaos!

I'm sure you're still plenty good, a few encounters and everything just sort of comes back to you.

Theik

Or one encounter and everything comes falling apart. ;)

So who would be interested in playing what then?

If this is going to happen, we should at the very least see about forming a decent group, with all the various "roles" fulfilled for actual gameplay, and some interesting real life -> fantasy world transitions for the characters as mentioned in the introductionary post. =D

ExisD

I'd like to be the group pervert who made this incredibly sexy, kinda bimboey, character who he, maybe she, is now stuck in the body of. And well all of the awkwardness that comes of that.

As for character, either warlock who eventually multi to rogue, the player wouldn't want to actually go through what the character has to to gain more power from her patron. Or a monk as the first class, who's original build was planned to be a higher level and will eventually turn into a sorcerer too.

So melee skirmisher either way, just different flavors of it.

Wolf Heart

The player would probably be... well, a little odd and random. And a definite, total closet D&D / RPG nerd from the beyond. As such, he'll probably love being in the D&D universe. ;D

The character would probably be an elf sorcerer, eventually taking on the Dragon Disciple prestige class... or a multiclassing wild elf druid/barbarian that may well end up taking the Battle Shaper and/or Beastlord prestige class.

These are just my favoured characters, however. I am pretty versatile and can fit just about wherever the game needs me. ^_^

Mysterica

I would love to play a guy who makes a female fighter finding the idea of being in a woman's body fairly interesting and somewhat exciting, but finds it VERY awkward when she starts getting attention.

Theik

Oooh, a D&D geek who doesn't -want- to leave, that is also a pretty damn cool idea, I completely forgot about that. xD

So we have a D&D geek and two guys who ended up as girls (awkward for them. xD)

I'd personally love to play a jock turned something small and cuddly, but somebody has to DM this stuff. :P

ExisD

Yep, I'm still trying to decide which idea to use of mine, though leaning toward the warlock. What are you going to have us start with Theik: stats, levels, items, and such?

Theik

I haven't decided such details yet. Like I said, I haven't DMed anything in forever and then some.

But assume level 1 point buy, as that would be the best start for "inexperienced" adventurers.

Mysterica

Man...  I'll be missing pathfinder's elven recurve blade with thos character.

ExisD

But those are in 3.5... Also the point buys I'm used to are 28, 32, and 36. In order of character competence....

One big question, do our characters have the mental stats of their players of the ones they were assigned? My current idea leans more toward the first.

Theik

I would guess charisma, wisdom and intelligence of their player. Which could result in exceptionally smart warriors, or daft-as-bricks wizards. Not exactly the strongest characters, but it could certainly be fun. I'll leave character competence up to popular vote.

ExisD

My vote would be for 32 then, I find it to be one of the more balanced numbers. And yeah, that can make some of them pretty bad, but still fun.

TheHangedOne

I'm thinking I'm going to play a Favored Soul...either of Tymora or Ilmater.
Check out my poet tree!

Kuje

Heya,

Any chance I could get into this? This sounds fun and I've been watching it for days but haven't been able to reply to it until tonight.

As for a char idea, you already have two guys who becomes girls, and one friend who gets tagged along. So I don't mind playing a normal guy who is still a guy. Grin. Classes, maybe a divine caster, either cleric or druid. Or a ranger.

Mysterica

Ok...  Interesting concept, but please don't shoot me down so suddenly and think about it.  What if when we make our characters, we post the 'player's' basic overview of who they are, but give just the gm a history the player had given their gm of their character assuming a high lvl character and have to deal either with the consequences either of that history or from botching up that backstory due to lack of lvl and only letting the real gm and the player know the character's history unless they explain it in game.

Wolf Heart

Theik

Everybody is free to sign up because I haven't even got around to putting things together anyway. (Hell, even people who want to DM in my place are welcome to mention so. =P)
Once we've figured everything out, we'll worry about who ends up disappointed because a game with twenty people does not work. (Although if more than one DM signs up, we could always split into two groups doing the same general idea.)

I do however like the idea of people not knowing eachother's character histories. You don't normally mention it to other players anyway and backstories are largely underused I feel. If you once killed a group of slavers, getting backstabbed by some guy from "your past" (well...character's past) could be interesting.

As for point buy, 32 does sound like the most reasonable. 36 sounds like you'd be crazy strong, where as less would result in little flexibility.

TheHangedOne

Everybody's starting off with level 1 characters?
Check out my poet tree!

Theik

Yup, I think level 1 would work by far the best, because they would obviously be inexperienced. Though if somebody more experienced shouts "ohoh lemme DM" and they think starting off at a slightly higher level, that's fine. xD If I am DMing however, I'd much rather start everybody off at level 1.

TheHangedOne

Any racial limitations? What if we want to play a race that has ecl?
Check out my poet tree!