[Numenera]Interest Check - Post apocalypse science-fantasy, all players welcome!

Started by Galactic Druid, March 03, 2015, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re Z L

So I'm kind of torn between two ideas, probably because I've never used the system before...

A Riddick-like Stealthy Glaive who Explores Dark Places

or

A Technomancer-like Nano--probably using the Talks To Machines verb and an undecided adjective.

Quote from: Darkling on March 11, 2015, 08:56:36 AM
I too am pro-little missions. I find a segmented epic arc with little personal stuff in between is the best mix. But little things that eventually lead to a big thing is also interesting and underdone.

This is also what I like, though it's sometimes difficult to pull off I know.
A&A

CeruleanSerenity

I think I'll take the dive and make a character for this. Right now, I'm thinking I'll play an Impulsive Jack who Exists in Two Places at Once, but other ideas are a (Something) Nano who either Works Miracles or Explores Deep Waters... or using the Howls at the Moon focus for a Glaive or possibly even a Nano, but we already have a Jack who does that...

Quote from: Urbanzorro on March 09, 2015, 07:43:00 PM
*Mumbles something about the benefits of being the only guy in a group with 2-3 women. *
You mumble that now, but if I go with my first idea, you're going to have more than just 2-3 women on your hands. Just you wait.

(Can a character who Exists in Two Places at Once have more than one duplicate? The name implies not, but the text doesn't seem to say they can't...)

And, all these questions I missed...
Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 04, 2015, 10:22:04 PM
Well, it's getting late for me, but before I go, I wanted to ask;

The ninth world has a lot of crazy things that might happen; cannibalistic bandits, mind altering/controlling creatures and constructs, robots designed for pleasure gone haywire, slave traders, and much, much more. Is there anything that anyone is particularly uncomfortable with that they'd prefer I leave out?

I'm tempted to ask before each encounter, but I'd be kind of spoiling the big surprise for each arc is I started out with something like "Hey, I was thinking of having the men in the party investigate/visit a brothel that turns out to be a group of ancient pleasure androids that got some black widow virus in their programming and attempt to kill their clients after sex?" and spoiling the whole thing. So in short, if there's any themes you want left out, please let me know now.

I'm a bit odd. Something like vore is a massive off, for example, but if it's not being used in a sexual setting, I have no problem portraying a group of bandits as cannibals. The same goes with a lot of things. I'd generally not get into a kidnapping story, but I'd gladly have a PC kidnapped for a story arc in which the others rescue them, while the kidnapped PC makes their own attempts to escape. You guys get the idea. Anyway, just let me know if there's any hard offs for you guys as I plan encounters.
If it's not being used in a sexual scene, I'm open to pretty much anything being in the game... there are plenty of things I find unpleasant, but when that's often the point, I'm not going to complain. Cannibal bandits aren't usually supposed to be fun people. Describing things like that in elaborate detail might be unpleasant to me, but I have read some pretty dark horror, so don't worry too much about that.

For themes that come up in a sexual sense... I'm not into non-consensual scenes and there are plenty of fetishes I'm picky about, but as others have said, I'm fine with whatever happens to the others if my character doesn't have to be involved. And if anyone has any questions about what I like (or don't), feel free to ask.

And I want to go to the murder brothel too.

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 06, 2015, 07:59:12 AM
So I haven't added much to the thread in the last couple of days, but I have scribbled down a bunch of notes and encounter ideas in my binder during breaks. There's a couple things I wanted to touch base on, and see what you guys thought;

Does anyone actually enjoying having to manage their inventory, such as the amount of arrows or crossbow bolts they have left? If it's not something powerful and rare, such as a cypher or explosive bolt, I'm totally fine just assuming those of you who have crossbows keep themselves well supplied with their everyday ammunition.

Since there's a beast among us, I'll be keeping track of a lunar cycle. When it comes to things like a weeklong travel, I intend to skip over the boring bits, however. Mention you travel and camp for a few days, RP an encounter to gather or trade for more food, possibly an encounter with some bandits or beasts along the way, RP out the events at camp one of the 5 or 6 nights (things can happen in the main or side thread, whichever is preferred), then skip over the remaining two days and jump to the arrival at the next point in the adventure. Does that work well for everyone?

I probably will keep track of food supplies, as I do find it interesting to either stop and hunt or barter with (or rob!) other travelers for their next meal. It also makes money a bit more valuable, gives hunters more opportunities to shine, and those scenes can turn into some exciting encounters.

Lastly, there's two ways to handle challenges. One way is for the GM to be upfront about the difficulty of a task. If the players need to cross a river, let the players know in a spoiler box at the bottom "swimming across the rapid river is a difficulty 4 task." The other option is to give enough information the players can make a decent assumption about the difficulty, without ever telling them what it is exactly. "The water is flowing rather fast, enough to be rather intimidating to anyone untrained crossing, though any seasoned swimmer has likely crossed far worse." I personally prefer the latter, not knowing the exact number makes things more exciting in my book, but I thought if ask what my players thought before committing to a method.
I kind of like the idea of tracking inventory details, for the reasons you described with food... scavenging and dealing with lack of ammunition or loss of tools or things like that sounds like a lot of fun, in the right game. But it really depends on the game... so however you handle that will be fine with me.

Your way of handling time and travel sounds good to me too - abstracting an entire journey to "you walk for a week, and now you're there" makes it seem less meaningful to me, while actually playing out every day would just be too slow, so having a couple of scenes scattered throughout a journey and skipping the rest seems like an ideal way to handle it.

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 10, 2015, 12:28:56 PM
So question; are you guys looking to do grand save the world kinda stuff right out the door, or would you prefer smaller stories that aren't all going to one big grand scheme?

Right now, I have a couple of side stories planned that focus on each character's background and abilities, especially Urbanzorro. I just wanted to be sure you guys were interested in smaller, personal story arcs.
Smaller stories sound good to me too. I wouldn't mind if some of them formed the pieces of a puzzle that leads to something greater from time to time, but it's ultimately up to you.

Urbanzorro

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on March 11, 2015, 05:05:37 PM
... or using the Howls at the Moon focus for a Glaive or possibly even a Nano, but we already have a Jack who does that...

We can have a wolf pack! lol
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Re Z L on March 11, 2015, 04:57:43 PM
So I'm kind of torn between two ideas, probably because I've never used the system before...

A Riddick-like Stealthy Glaive who Explores Dark Places

or

A Technomancer-like Nano--probably using the Talks To Machines verb and an undecided adjective.

This is also what I like, though it's sometimes difficult to pull off I know.

I don't want to suggest you play one or the other, I always prefer players to play a character of their own choosing, but I don't mind making suggestions for tweaking. For a descriptor, take a look at "Mystical/Mechanical". The descriptor does the same either way, free esotary, bonus to intellect pool, special ability for sensing "magic", the only difference between the titles is how you view your power, whether you consider yourself very in tune with the spirits and magics within the numenera, or someone who understands the devices rather well.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Galactic Druid

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on March 11, 2015, 05:05:37 PM
I think I'll take the dive and make a character for this. Right now, I'm thinking I'll play an Impulsive Jack who Exists in Two Places at Once, but other ideas are a (Something) Nano who either Works Miracles or Explores Deep Waters... or using the Howls at the Moon focus for a Glaive or possibly even a Nano, but we already have a Jack who does that...
You mumble that now, but if I go with my first idea, you're going to have more than just 2-3 women on your hands. Just you wait.

Everyone keeps forgetting me and my NPCs....

Quote(Can a character who Exists in Two Places at Once have more than one duplicate? The name implies not, but the text doesn't seem to say they can't...)

The answer is... kinda. Yes, but not until they reach their absolute top tier (the equivalent of hitting level 20 in DnD). In short, it'll be a while....

And, all these questions I missed...If it's not being used in a sexual scene, I'm open to pretty much anything being in the game... there are plenty of things I find unpleasant, but when that's often the point, I'm not going to complain. Cannibal bandits aren't usually supposed to be fun people. Describing things like that in elaborate detail might be unpleasant to me, but I have read some pretty dark horror, so don't worry too much about that.

QuoteFor themes that come up in a sexual sense... I'm not into non-consensual scenes and there are plenty of fetishes I'm picky about, but as others have said, I'm fine with whatever happens to the others if my character doesn't have to be involved. And if anyone has any questions about what I like (or don't), feel free to ask.

And I want to go to the murder brothel too.

*Laughs* The murder brothel was a really bad example... Or more accurately, saying 'men' was.

Anyway, I'm personally not a fan of NC myself, but I don't mind writing an NPC kidnapping a PC for nefarious purposes as much as I would mind writing a solo of the same subject. I guess it has something to do with the fact that in the RPG, the intent is for that player to eventually manage to break free and rescue themselves, or the other PCs to provide an escape, and so on. At any rate, for such scenes, we might end up making something like a 'fade to black' side thread where scenes can be fleshed out in greater detail, whether it's interactions between NPCs and a PC, or two PCs during a night when the party camps, and so on. Focus on the kidnapping and rescue in the story, what happens back at the hideout on the side, you guys get the idea.

QuoteI kind of like the idea of tracking inventory details, for the reasons you described with food... scavenging and dealing with lack of ammunition or loss of tools or things like that sounds like a lot of fun, in the right game. But it really depends on the game... so however you handle that will be fine with me.

Your way of handling time and travel sounds good to me too - abstracting an entire journey to "you walk for a week, and now you're there" makes it seem less meaningful to me, while actually playing out every day would just be too slow, so having a couple of scenes scattered throughout a journey and skipping the rest seems like an ideal way to handle it.

It'll be something along the lines of "After a few days of travel, you've crossed over the river that marks the border to (describe a new region, maybe something about how they used to be at war with the region you came from). The road you follow travels past the ruins of one such fort. As you approach..." and boom, trouble, or maybe not. I'm not planning on every encounter being a fight.

QuoteSmaller stories sound good to me too. I wouldn't mind if some of them formed the pieces of a puzzle that leads to something greater from time to time, but it's ultimately up to you.

Some of them will, I have plans for something big, but I have a soft spot for those smaller quests. To me, they make things feel more real than just starting off needing to save the world.

Galactic Druid

Backstory looks great, Zorro! Definitely something I can work in to a major plot I was already working on. Should be fun!

Aiyanna

I don't have a background yet because I don't know what's allowed, and I'm not sure if my equipment set is complete, but here's my character sheet!

Alternate Character Image

If I can't get away with a nanovirus turning my girl in to a kitsune-like warrior (one tail, not nine), then I'll use this as my character image.

http://cache.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/1166807-bigthumbnail.jpg

Name:Naomi

I am a Graceful Glaive who Moves like a cat.

Damage Track: Hale

Might: 13/13
Might Edge: 1

Speed: 17/17
Speed Edge: 1

Intelligence: 10/10
Int Edge: 0

Armor: Leather Armor(1 Armor Point)

Effort Level: 1

Weapons and Damage:
-Unarmed: 4 Damage
-Sash Whip:

Abilities
- Practiced in armor - penalties reduced by 2
- Practiced in All Weapons
- Pierce
- Needs No Weapons

Skills
- Speed Defense Actions (Trained)
- Balancing (Specialized)
- Sneak (Trained)
- Performance, dance, or Martial arts (Trained)
- Climbing (Trained)

Connection: 3. Pick one other PC. You aid her with advice and a helping hand when she needs it. Anytime the two of you are next to each other, the difficulty of balancing, climbing, and jumping tasks is decreased by one step for her.

Equipment and items:
-Sash Whip
(Watch video at the bottom for demonstration)

Artifacts and Oddities:

Backstory:

Sash Whip Inspiration/Demonstration
The video shows a sash whip using two blunt weights on the end. My character's version will have a metal dart on one end and a loop on the other. It is about 20 feet long, and is strong enough to be used to help with climbing or any use you might have for a 20 foot piece of rope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IPl2tFNihc
When you message me, please use the same message thread every time.
Ideas
O/o's

Galactic Druid

There's really nothing in the rules about it, so I guess it comes down to a GM call. As long as it's purely cosmetic or just part of your 'moves like a cat' focus, I don't really see the harm in it as long as everyone's fine with slightly anthro characters (Which I'm guessing they are, since we have lycans in out midst.).

Aiyanna

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 11, 2015, 08:03:03 PM
There's really nothing in the rules about it, so I guess it comes down to a GM call. As long as it's purely cosmetic or just part of your 'moves like a cat' focus, I don't really see the harm in it as long as everyone's fine with slightly anthro characters (Which I'm guessing they are, since we have lycans in out midst.).

Yep, just part of the 'Moves like a cat' thing, but I liked the idea of a nice fluffy tail instead of a narrow cat's tail. So cat/fox like ears and a lovely white tail. She can move the tail like any other animal with one, of course, but her ears don't need to be any more powerful than a human's, they just look like a cat's. The virus will explain the other oddities of her appearance as well, the violet/white/black streaked hair, the red eyes, the facial markings.  If that's alright, then I think I can at least get started on a background.
Ideas
O/o's

CeruleanSerenity

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 11, 2015, 07:07:40 PM
Everyone keeps forgetting me and my NPCs....
In my defense, your avatar does make me think of you as some sort of classy but mysterious puppet master lurking in the shadows... and it's hard to remember someone when you don't even know they exist.

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 11, 2015, 07:07:40 PM
The answer is... kinda. Yes, but not until they reach their absolute top tier (the equivalent of hitting level 20 in DnD). In short, it'll be a while....
Oh, all right. I was wondering if you could just keep activating the ability... but that would be a little silly, if dangerous.

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 11, 2015, 08:03:03 PM
Absolutely. I love slightly anthro characters, so if Aiyanna wants her character to have a fluffy fox tail, she has my support.

And I think I'll go ahead with my sheet tonight, since it's pretty easy to make them in this system... though I'm still open to changing my character for any reason. I just need to figure out what exactly Edge does, so I know where to put my point (any suggestions?), and a another question...

If I take both Skilled With Defense and Trained Without Armor, do they stack? I assume so, since otherwise there wouldn't be a point to the latter... but I'm not familiar with the system yet, so I wanted to make sure.

Aiyanna

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on March 11, 2015, 08:54:37 PM

Absolutely. I love slightly anthro characters, so if Aiyanna wants her character to have a fluffy fox tail, she has my support.

^.^ I like her! :D
Ideas
O/o's

Galactic Druid

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on March 11, 2015, 08:54:37 PM
In my defense, your avatar does make me think of you as some sort of classy but mysterious puppet master lurking in the shadows... and it's hard to remember someone when you don't even know they exist.
Oh, all right. I was wondering if you could just keep activating the ability... but that would be a little silly, if dangerous.

And I think I'll go ahead with my sheet tonight, since it's pretty easy to make them in this system... though I'm still open to changing my character for any reason. I just need to figure out what exactly Edge does, so I know where to put my point (any suggestions?), and a another question...

If I take both Skilled With Defense and Trained Without Armor, do they stack? I assume so, since otherwise there wouldn't be a point to the latter... but I'm not familiar with the system yet, so I wanted to make sure.

I explained Edge in a little more detail in the first post under character creation, but here it is in short; There are some abilities that have a cost to use (2 int, 1 might, etc.). These take points out of the respective stat pool, that serves both as your resources for accomplishing tasks, as well as your hit points (especially might). If a pool reaches 0, it could put your character into a critical state. Applying effort to a task makes it easier to complete (each level of effort increases the chances of a successful die roll by roughly 15%), but costs points from a respective pool (applying effort to climbing, for example, costs Might, whereas applying effort to figuring out how a device's controls in an alien langue work would cost Int.). An Edge in a stat reduces the cost of all tasks associated with it. So an Edge of 1 in might means you only spend 2 points to apply effort to climbing, rather than 3. It also means you could use the combat ability Thrust, which costs 1 might, for free.

ChaoticSky

I fully support the inclusion of fluffy tails.  ;D

(And I dont consider ear/tail-girls Anthros, really, that term is more associated with the dreaded furry)

Urbanzorro

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 11, 2015, 07:10:21 PM
Backstory looks great, Zorro! Definitely something I can work in to a major plot I was already working on. Should be fun!
Yay!

Also, I have no issues with tailed women. ;D
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

CeruleanSerenity

Don't forget the ears! Fluffy ears are adorable too.

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 11, 2015, 09:14:39 PM
I explained Edge in a little more detail in the first post under character creation, but here it is in short; There are some abilities that have a cost to use (2 int, 1 might, etc.). These take points out of the respective stat pool, that serves both as your resources for accomplishing tasks, as well as your hit points (especially might). If a pool reaches 0, it could put your character into a critical state. Applying effort to a task makes it easier to complete (each level of effort increases the chances of a successful die roll by roughly 15%), but costs points from a respective pool (applying effort to climbing, for example, costs Might, whereas applying effort to figuring out how a device's controls in an alien langue work would cost Int.). An Edge in a stat reduces the cost of all tasks associated with it. So an Edge of 1 in might means you only spend 2 points to apply effort to climbing, rather than 3. It also means you could use the combat ability Thrust, which costs 1 might, for free.
I think I get it now... thank you. I was just a little confused about pools and Effort and Edge and what they were all used for and how they interacted since this whole system is so new to me, but I think I have a good grasp on it now.

So... my character...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: Kat

I am an Impulsive Jack who Exists in Two Places at Once.

Damage Track: Hale

Might: 12/12
Might Edge: 1

Speed: 16/16
Speed Edge: 0

Intelligence: 10/10
Int Edge: 0

Armor: 0

Effort Level: 1

Weapons and Damage:
Unarmed: 2 damage
Dagger: 2 damage (Can be thrown up to short range)
Verred: 4 damage

Cyphers (Max 2)
-Level 3 Motion Sensor
A small disk that can be affixed to a surface, that indicates any movement within a short range (up to 50 feet), or any large creature within a long range (up to 100 feet). Also indicates the number and size of creatures it detects.

-Level 6 Visual Displacement Device
A bracelet that protects images of the wearer to confuse attackers, providing an asset to speed defense actions (1 step easier) for 10 minutes.

Skills and Inabilities:
-Initiative actions.
-Speed defense actions (Specialized when not wearing armor.)
-Athletic actions - climbing, swimming, jumping, etc.
-I'll try anything once or twice. The difficulty of any task that involves patience, willpower, or discipline is increased by one step.

Special Moves, Abilities, and Esoteries:
-Duplicate (2 Might points)
-Flex Skill (Interacting)
-Trained Without Armor
-Vision

Equipment and items:
Clothing
Verred
Dagger
Explorer's pack
Pack of light tools
8 shins

Artifacts and Oddities:
A crystal that shatters easily, but instantly reforms.

Connections:
-Soul seems convinced that I am really a pair of identical twins with no actual powers.
-I heard what the other PCs are up to and suddenly decided to join them.

Backstory:
Kat has little more than vague memories of the earliest years of her life... or of her family. She knows she lived with her father, though she can hardly remember his face. She knows she was happy, though his work often left him with little time for her. She doesn't know what his work was, only that if he were still around, it would still be way over her head. Some sort of magician? Scholar? Inventor? She doesn't know, and it wouldn't matter anymore, except for the way his influence left her with a curiosity about the unusual and arcane that would often lead her into trouble.

But one day he left for reasons she didn't know or understand, leaving her in the care of a group of traveling merchants. She knows now that she shouldn't have believed him when he said he would be back soon, but back then, trusting his words and excited at the idea of seeing new places and meeting new people... she only cried a little. That's what she likes to think, anyway. Mostly she doesn't let herself dwell on it.

She settled into her new life well enough, and as time passed and she grew up, memories of her past soon felt like little more than a distant dream. She stayed close to the caravan and merely helped with chores at first, but in time, her energy and curiosity drove her to wander off on her own and explore heedless of danger - a habit that almost got her killed on more than one occasion, but more often than not, the useful information or valuable trinkets she brought back meant they didn't lecture her too harshly. She never listened, anyway.

In time, of course, they started drifting apart, as life's course took the group their own separate ways. Some settled down and set up shop in the city, others to less stable but more exciting jobs, some merely to make their way on their own, while Kat... well, for her part... she learned that, when you find a strange object and have no idea what it does, looking like some weird fusion of mirror and clock, it might not be the best idea to literally poke it with a stick. And a little too hard, at that: something broke, and it wasn't just the artifact.

When she came to, she found herself face to face with... herself. Herself, and once she got over that little shock, a world that didn't seem to remember her at all. A normal person might have gone mad. Luckily, Kat always prided herself on being just a little crazy. The event left her too lost and dazed to even be properly upset for several days, of course, but when it all started to sink in... she found something about having the world pulled out from under her to be rather... liberating. Exciting. Her newfound powers, if they could even be called that, on top of her sudden lack of responsibilities and ties...

That's not too crazy, is it?

Or maybe it is. She's past caring. She can do anything, now, and there's a whole world out there she's just dying to experience.

Additional Image

Additional Image Plus Plus

Are "athletic actions" and "interacting" too broad for skills? They covers more than one area on the list of suggestions, but that list also says you can do that and I think interacting is one example... but I wasn't sure.

I didn't bother including light armor on the equipment list, since I figure she doesn't wear any. And I think I'll have to fill in the backstory later... I think I have a good enough mental image of my character, but the setting is a little unfamiliar to me, so I'll need to give it some more thought in order to figure out the details.

ChaoticSky

Your character trait things sometimes give you very broad ranges of skills (like empathic basically gives me all social interactions), but for normal skills you have to pick more specifics fields. Interaction is probably too broad, and Athletics might be. Things like charming, or freerunning might be more appropriate.*

*Afaik, wait for GM before changing anything

Galactic Druid

You took trained without armor, which is a good call, that'll make defense actions one step easier.

And no, especially for a flex skill, since it makes perfect context. Basically, the idea of the flex skill is that your character chooses something she's really going to focus on for that day, and as such, social skills makes a lot of sense. It'll be changing the first day you feel like focusing on something else anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Speaking of, any time I do one of those 'time passes' moments we discussed earlier, I'll try and make it a point to ask all of our jacks if they'd like to adjust their flex skill. If I happen to forget, don't feel shy about reminding me.

I'm going to get caught up on a post or two for now, and tomorrow I'll roll cyphers, do you guys prefer to focus on a particular kind, such as offensive, defensive, utility, or unusual, or would you like to leave it to the dice entirely?

With off these interesting characters, I'm thinking I might drop an NPC into the party, or have a few that come and go from time to time, so I have a chance to get to know all these characters at more places than just the murder brothels.

Galactic Druid

A couple more things before I go to sleep;

Baroness, for your PC connection, you actually take all 4, so someone is going to owe you some shins.  >:)
Does your character know exactly where her nanovirus (or herself, for that matter) originated from? I think I may have a sidestory to work in with you...

Aiyanna

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 11, 2015, 11:30:41 PM

I'm going to get caught up on a post or two for now, and tomorrow I'll roll cyphers, do you guys prefer to focus on a particular kind, such as offensive, defensive, utility, or unusual, or would you like to leave it to the dice entirely?

With off these interesting characters, I'm thinking I might drop an NPC into the party, or have a few that come and go from time to time, so I have a chance to get to know all these characters at more places than just the murder brothels.

'Get to know characters at more places than just the murder brothels'
I am laughing so hard over this right now. These are things you never thought you'd hear/say XD
Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 11, 2015, 11:34:30 PM
A couple more things before I go to sleep;

Baroness, for your PC connection, you actually take all 4, so someone is going to owe you some shins.  >:)
Does your character know exactly where her nanovirus (or herself, for that matter) originated from? I think I may have a sidestory to work in with you...

Oh, I thought you just picked one....that's okay, more money is not a bad thing lol. I hadn't gotten too far for where the virus actually came from. My idea for her background isn't fully formed yet. If you have an idea, I am open to suggestions. This was my idea, but I didn't know how feasible it was.

QuoteNaomi came from a tribe of wanderers. Her family in particular were merchants, who bought and traded and sold numenera that adventurers brought them, as well as the goods that the tribe produced. She never intended to be a warrior, she was good with numbers and had the free spirit, so she was going to follow in the family business. Until an adventurer traded a device to the family for some food and a new piece of armor. The device was thought to be a mere oddity, but was in fact a cypher. Naomi was carrying it back to her family's tent, to be examined later, when someone stepped in to her path, and they collided. The basket Naomi was carrying fell to the ground along with her, and the device fell out to be smashed under her palm. The jagged metal edges cut her skin, leaving her vulnerable to the sluggish black liquid flowing out of the broken device.

The accident caused a scene, as Naomi soon collapsed after being exposed to the liquid, but a quick-thinking Nano was able to stop anyone else from being exposed. Naomi was taken to the tent to be watched over, but there was nothing anyone could do for her. She was wracked by fever, and in rare moments of lucidity, all the young girl could tell her parents was that her head and back hurt.

Over a month later, the girl emerged from her family's tent a new person, and people realized she had fallen victim to a piece of numenera. Strange red markings had appeared on her pale skin, and her brown eyes had turned red. Midnight black hair was now streaked with purple and white. To top it off, her ears had grown fur and changed shape, while a bushy white tail now sprouted from the top of her tailbone and brushed her ankles. With the cosmetic changes came more speed, and a bit more strength, and Naomi no longer looked to a future as a merchant, but as a Glaive. Her family was supportive, and made sure she made it to a group of unarmed Glaives who could train her in fighting styles that suited her new mindset and abilities.

After meeting them, Naomi lived with the Glaives permanently, only visiting her family a few times a year. As she got in to her teen years, she began going on adventures herself, mostly protecting wanderers like her family's tribe. She acquired a bit of a reputation as fighter who wasn't so much strong, but moved like a blur, and she wouldn't charge a fortune for her services, just the basics that she needed to survive, and occasionally something the wanderers came across that might be useful.

I don't care about cyphers. My girl is going to take the minimalist approach fairly seriously. What she needs and nothing more. So be creative! :D I don't need/want a second weapon as a glaive either, the sash whip is pretty multi-purpose already.

Ideas
O/o's

ChaoticSky

Heh, thats depressingly similar to the background i have for my Nano, what with the 'mysterious liquid leads to powers and skinmarkings' type stuff. Only i used the Iron Wind instead of a broken numen. I must come up with something different!

Aiyanna

Quote from: Darkling on March 12, 2015, 12:30:42 AM
Heh, thats depressingly similar to the background i have for my Nano, what with the 'mysterious liquid leads to powers and skinmarkings' type stuff. Only i used the Iron Wind instead of a broken numen. I must come up with something different!

Oh dear, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to steal your thunder. RPguy said he might have something for me, I can just use that if you like?
Ideas
O/o's

ChaoticSky

Quote from: BaronessAiyanna on March 12, 2015, 12:35:38 AM
Oh dear, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to steal your thunder. RPguy said he might have something for me, I can just use that if you like?
Oh no, its probably for the best, I typed it all out once but lost the post, now every time i try to write it my muse keeps going it was better the first tiiiiiime and its been writer's-blocking me like hell. New story will probably help me whip my muse into gear.

CeruleanSerenity

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on March 11, 2015, 11:30:41 PM
And no, especially for a flex skill, since it makes perfect context. Basically, the idea of the flex skill is that your character chooses something she's really going to focus on for that day, and as such, social skills makes a lot of sense. It'll be changing the first day you feel like focusing on something else anyway, so it's not a big deal.
Are you okay with athletics too? I was especially worried about that one... if not, I think I'll change it to climbing.

Cyphers... just leave mine up to the dice. I don't know any of them, so I want to be surprised.

Still need to do that Connection thingy too... I guess that will come with my background, hopefully tomorrow.

Aiyanna

Quote from: Darkling on March 12, 2015, 01:03:44 AM
Oh no, its probably for the best, I typed it all out once but lost the post, now every time i try to write it my muse keeps going it was better the first tiiiiiime and its been writer's-blocking me like hell. New story will probably help me whip my muse into gear.

Alright, as long as you're okay with it.

Quote from: CeruleanSerenity on March 12, 2015, 01:11:12 AM
Are you okay with athletics too? I was especially worried about that one... if not, I think I'll change it to climbing.

Cyphers... just leave mine up to the dice. I don't know any of them, so I want to be surprised.

Still need to do that Connection thingy too... I guess that will come with my background, hopefully tomorrow.

The connections are in the players guide with whatever verb you picked, or at least that's where I got mine :)
Ideas
O/o's

Galactic Druid

Athletics is totally fine, especially for a Jack. Getting to places is kind if your thing, after all.

Once R E  has the basics of a sheet up, I'll be asking you guys to pick your connections, which as Aiyanna suggested, are listed in your focus. There's also some "links to the party" stuff in your descriptors, but those aren't as exciting, usually being something no more complex than "You saw them in trouble and jumped in." Or "They were offering a job and you needed the money.", so using those is optional, since I fully expect you guys will form tighter bonds than those suggestions over the course of the game, and within your PC connections.