Can't Edit Posts in the News Thread

Started by AmberStarfire, November 05, 2017, 03:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberStarfire

Hi,

I don't know if this is something recent but I just posted in the news thread and was going to edit it to tweak my post, but the modify option wasn't there. Has it been removed in certain forums?

(I just woke up from a short sleep a short time ago so sorry in advance if I'm somehow missing the obvious).

Beguile's Mistress

Both Modify and Remove appear to have been taken away.

Lexandria

The ability to edit posts has been removed from the entire PROC board to prevent abuse of the edit function.

AmberStarfire

Thanks.

I prefer not to post where I can't edit my own posts, but I mainly just post in the news thread anyway.

SithLordOfSnark

The issue with allowing editing is that people can post something to get people up in arms and then quickly edit what they wrote so comments make literally no sense.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Beguile's Mistress

It makes sense.  I've been a victim of responding to things that were then removed following which I've been dinged for what I said that, of course, was then taken out of context. 

gaggedLouise

How about offering one hour of "edit time" after a post is made at PROC? This wpuld provide for removing typos, adding links that ought to be there, some general polish etc, but would not be enough to allow for any serious flamebaiting and trolling - nobody who is trolling other members wants the fun to stop after just one hour.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: gaggedLouise on November 08, 2017, 08:13:29 AM
How about offering one hour of "edit time" after a post is made at PROC? This wpuld provide for removing typos, adding links that ought to be there, some general polish etc, but would not be enough to allow for any serious flamebaiting and trolling - nobody who is trolling other members wants the fun to stop after just one hour.

If that's possible on their software, it could be a good idea.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

gaggedLouise

Quote from: SithLordOfSnark on November 08, 2017, 08:19:45 AM
If that's possible on their software, it could be a good idea.

I borrowed the idea from a big discussion forum in my country (though its servers are located in the US); they have had that setup for years.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

The age of the forum doesn't matter as much as the software it uses, and the intrinsic capabilities of that software.  If they aren't using SMF 2.0.14, then there's no guarantee that such a delay is even possible to implement here.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Been thinking of this, but was planning on having it after the Elkarte move, since setting that up is the current priority.

Saria

Quote from: Vekseid on November 08, 2017, 06:08:26 PM
Been thinking of this, but was planning on having it after the Elkarte move, since setting that up is the current priority.
Can Elkarte store revisions? It would be really cool if it were possible to see the revisions a post went through, so if someone did post something inflammatory or worse, the evidence would be plain to see even if they tried to edit it away.
Saria is no longer on Elliquiy, and no longer available for games