Jaeger Rising - A Pacific Rim interest check

Started by Primarch, July 24, 2013, 12:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primarch

I'd be quite interested in starting a Pacific Rim RP set as the Jaeger program was building momentum and coming to the peak of its success, with players being paired up to represent Rangers from around the world (or other members of the team). It may also be desirable for players to take up Kaiju from time to time if they have an idea for something fun. Take turns giving each other threats so we can have that giant robot vs giant monster action.

So yes, this is an interest check for a Pacific Rim RP. If people would be interested I'd be very happy to know. Questions/comments & suggestion are welcome.

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Nationality:[/b]
[b]Rank:[/b] Position within PPDC

[b]Appearance:[/b]
[center][img]real-person-faceclaim-please[/img][/center]

[b]Positive personality traits:[/b] 3
[b]Negative personality traits:[/b] 3 (legitimate negative traits please)

[b]Pre-PPDC experience:[/b] Any relevant skills or careers from before becoming a member of the Pan Pacific Defense Corps
[b]Other skills:[/b]
[b]General Backstory:[/b]

Ranger Teams
Ember Star - Character incoming.
Revenent - Character incoming.

evangel - Character incoming.
Darkcide - Character incoming.

Primarch - Character incoming.
TheGlyphstone - Character incoming.

Yugishogun - Character incoming.
PaladinZenaku - Character incoming.

Shatterdome location
Tokyo

Darkcide

I'd be interested.

Out of curiosity, is there an approximate year you'd like to use as a setting? Just because that would determine the Jaeger Marks in play. Since it is sounding like you'd want to start with fairly early, like before the start of the film, would category III Kaiju's have been encountered yet or no?

evangel

YES. I'M SO IN. SO BLOODY IN. Do you have a set storyline in mind? We could do jumps. Like starting at the Jaeger program's peak and then to the era between Cat III/Cat IV where we start dying by the dozens.

Yukina

I'm definitely in. The movie was pretty good.

Doomglazer

Primarch

Quote from: Darkcide on July 24, 2013, 01:36:51 PM
Out of curiosity, is there an approximate year you'd like to use as a setting? Just because that would determine the Jaeger Marks in play. Since it is sounding like you'd want to start with fairly early, like before the start of the film, would category III Kaiju's have been encountered yet or no?

Well 2019 is the height of the program and I'd like for us to work into that so I was thinking 2018. So Mark 3 Jaeger's are around but I believe the category 3 Kaiju's have yet to emerge. May be wrong on that.

Quote from: evangel on July 24, 2013, 03:20:00 PM
YES. I'M SO IN. SO BLOODY IN. Do you have a set storyline in mind? We could do jumps. Like starting at the Jaeger program's peak and then to the era between Cat III/Cat IV where we start dying by the dozens.

Right now I don't have a strict storyline beyond starting from the year 2018 and proceeding from there.

TheGlyphstone

Darkcide

The Mark IV's were launched in 2018, later in the year I think. And you are correct, the category threes did not emerge until 2020.

Primarch

Alright I need to vanish now but if people want to continue expressing interest I can know who we have tomorrow, ideally we'll have an even number for rangers. If you want to play someone involved in the Jaeger program that's not a ranger, please make it known.

I'll also answer any questions that arise when I return tomorrow.

Quote from: Darkcide on July 24, 2013, 06:20:24 PM
The Mark IV's were launched in 2018, later in the year I think. And you are correct, the category threes did not emerge until 2020.
Very good.

TheGlyphstone

Revenent

Don't have time to read much, since I'm going off break soon, but count me in. This movie was awesome.

PaladinZenaku

Question
In the movie two people are used to control the jaeger. Are you going to have two players control one jaeger? For exsample I control the left side and you control the right. That would make it interesting but there might be some awkward moments were one side is walking one way and the other wants to go the other way.
"Underneath the silvery moon,
Your path can still turn foul.
You'll know you've made a wretched move,
When werewolves start to howl."
~Shadowfang~
Alpha Male of Southern US Pack

TheGlyphstone

Presumably the two players, since they agreed to form a character team before the game start, could work something out in terms of taking turns narrating moves.

Ember Star

Interested and bookmarked. Loved that movie.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Primarch

Quote from: PaladinZenaku on July 24, 2013, 08:50:48 PM
In the movie two people are used to control the jaeger. Are you going to have two players control one jaeger? For exsample I control the left side and you control the right. That would make it interesting but there might be some awkward moments were one side is walking one way and the other wants to go the other way.
Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 24, 2013, 09:26:11 PM
Presumably the two players, since they agreed to form a character team before the game start, could work something out in terms of taking turns narrating moves.

Pretty much as Glyph said. Either the players can work out ahead of time what they want to do or take turns controlling the Jaeger. So in a thread with the team fighting one of the kaiju would look like either
A) Player 1, Kaiju, Player 2, Kaiju, Player 1 <repeat>
or
B) Player 1 (Jaeger), Player 2, Kaiju, Player 1, Player 2 (Jaeger), Kaiju <repeat>

So far we have:
Primarch
Darkcide
evangel
Yugishogun
TheGlyphstone
Revenent
Ember Star
PaladinZenaku

Would people rather form pairs themselves? If not I can randomly assign. Once pairs are assigned they can come up with a Jaeger and choose which country they operate from. 

Yukina

I don't have any opinion about the pairing system, though I like method A compared to B.

TheGlyphstone

I favor method A myself, since it'll keep the fights paced faster, and avoid repetitiveness (not-in-control pure reaction posts are going to be rather boring).

Yukina

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 25, 2013, 11:07:18 AM
I favor method A myself, since it'll keep the fights paced faster, and avoid repetitiveness (not-in-control pure reaction posts are going to be rather boring).

Exactly what I was thinking.

Revenent

I feel the need to bring up the elephant in the room here: people drop out and disappear in every group RP. This could be a real problem when it comes to Rangers.

Ember Star

Quote from: Revenent on July 25, 2013, 11:21:28 AM
I feel the need to bring up the elephant in the room here: people drop out and disappear in every group RP. This could be a real problem when it comes to Rangers.
My concern exactly.

However as far as picking partners or randomly put together. I far prefer picking.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Yukina

I do suggest before we pick partners that we at least state our characters' gender and orientation.

Primarch

In the event someone drops out in a thread we can organise for someone to NPC with them until the thread is resolved (or kill the person off forcing a single person escape!) and afterwards try organise a new partner. If one drops out its possible a second will, then we can pair them up while also continuing recruitment.

Quote from: Yugishogun on July 25, 2013, 11:43:47 AM
I do suggest before we pick partners that we at least state our characters' gender and orientation.
You can certainly state a few characteristics. I'll get a CS up today.

Ember Star

I'll be playing a female and can play bi, straight, or lesbian. 

I could play a gay or straight male, I just usually don't on E because of the possibility of sexual content and my inexperienced playing males beyond flirting and kissing.

Rev, you wanna partner with me since we know each other?

evangel

Sounds good to me. We can always have the Kaiju poke into the Jaeger's head and have a mid-fight snack if someone doesn't post after a week or something. Also unfortunately I'm not familiar with almost anyone here except Revenent, so I'm willing to be placed randomly with anyone.

Yukina

I plan to play a lesbian female character.