Movies (strange or favorite or worst)

Started by Sugarman (hal), May 31, 2008, 04:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherona

Ok first lets establish not many movies make me shudder, get sick, or freak me out. I can count on one hand how many movies made me afraid to sleep, made me turn my head, made me cover my eyes and hum so I don't hear the scary gory details. I have no problems with gore or the like, I watched Saw with no problems, I watched braveheart and wondered why the uproar about how "Gory" it was. Freddy Kruger I was a child, under the age of 13 and still watched them without blinking, and without nightmares...my almost-9 year old is the saem way..we both watched Saw together :P

That being said I have found one movie that I just could not sit through wtihout taking repeated 'step' outs. And the thing was, it wasn't all that graphic but just the thought of what was being done...sent cold chills up my spine...it was a pretty good movie but 3 scenes I could not watch.

Untraceable. Its about a serial killer who through the magic of technology put up a website that the US government could not track, could not trace, could not send down. Now, I am not computer literate in any sense so no I don't know if that is even possible but meh for a totally computer illiterate like myself, their explanations of how one could do this seemed believeable. Anyway, he killed people Live in front of the camera streamed to the website. The more visitors that it attracted the faster the person died...I don't want togive anything away but one was killed using Sulfuric Acid...the more the counter on the website went up, the more acid was sent into the tank...yeah....was a decent movie..

HairyHeretic

Don't believe everything you see about technology in movies :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Sherona

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 20, 2008, 05:40:40 PM
Don't believe everything you see about technology in movies :)

Oh I don't trust me. I am just saying they explained in a way that it wasn't completely unbelievable and thus ruining the movie :P

HairyHeretic

Ah, gotcha. I picked you up wrong there.

That being said, picking holes in movies can also he quite fun.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Von Konos

HI everyone
Sherona I am the same way with movies, my mother was a horror movie freak. so I am going to have to rent untraceable and check it out.
In the beginning there was Von and the world was dark. And then Von said: let's get darker.

WyldRanger

For some bizarre reason I just couldn't handle The Dark Knight today. I actually left halfway through. I don't ever remember doing this with a movie that I payed for ever before. This is weird because I've seen things much darker and intense in the past and I was able to handle them just fine. But today...no good. And I know I made the right decision since after I left I felt much more at peace.

Eventually I want to see the ending, but my mental state has to change for that to happen. What I saw I liked and enjoyed, but I couldn't handle the intensity. Maybe my tastes are starting to change again, who knows....

RubySlippers

Well one movie I love is WHEN NIGHT IS FALLING likely one of the best lesbian romance movies ever with interesting themes and character development, extremely attractive main characters and one of the nicest lesbian sex scenes in a movie.

Mathim

The Dark Knight is not only the best superhero movie I have seen in a while (blew Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk out of the water) but it was the best movie I've seen in ages. The Joker was just...man, if I was gay I'd totally jump his bones. I can't believe Xana walked out...you missed the best scenes. Shame on you.

And I liked 30 Days of Night. Yes, it was a little long, if they'd cut a lot of the beginning crap out it would have been a lot better but no, we have know all about the people who are going to be dying anyway. Top-notch horror film, though, really unexpected twists. The actual graphic novels are probably way better though.

Anyway, here's my topses...

Favorite: Kung Fu Hustle. Stephen Chow is a fucking genius. He knows how to choreograph brilliant fight scenes and blend in comedy with obsidian-edge precision (for those who don't know, obsidian can be made sharper than steel) and great scripts encompassing everything. This was his best movie, followed by Shaolin Soccer, and The Royal Tramp I and II. I high recommend all four of them if no one has seen them. You are really missing out.

Worst: Master and Commander. I swear, how this movie was even made in the first place...it's like, two hours of guys standing around on a boat talking. I laughed maybe once at a lame joke Russel Crowe made. I seriously wanted to walk out, but someone else paid for it so I had to stay for the whole thing. I want those two hours of my life back.

Weirdest: Being John Malkovich. Seriously, has anyone even seen this? How they came up with the plot is beyond me, but the subject matter in it was even worse than the unexplained bullshit phenomenon. I mean, at one point in the movie, Cameron Diaz gets locked in a cage and a chimpanzee is in a position to free her, and she proceeds to make out with said chimpanzee and, it is implied but not shown on the camera, to go even further with said chimpanzee. Avoid this movie at all costs or you might regret it.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Maeven

Quote from: Mathim on July 23, 2008, 10:41:38 PM

Worst: Master and Commander. I swear, how this movie was even made in the first place...it's like, two hours of guys standing around on a boat talking. I laughed maybe once at a lame joke Russel Crowe made. I seriously wanted to walk out, but someone else paid for it so I had to stay for the whole thing. I want those two hours of my life back.

I am so with you here. I LOVE Russel Crowe... and I'm an evolution/Darwin fangirl so the Galapagos thing was cool, but I was so freaking sick of chasing that boat by the end of the movie... *GAH*
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Mathim

Really makes me wonder what movie critics are thinking. I mean, the movie wasn't really thought-provoking or inspiring and whether or not it was historically accurate, it wasn't entertaining in the slightest.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Maeven

Well, I know at least one person here on E that regards it as his favorite Russel Crowe movie, so, some really enjoyed it. 

Me... I like him in Gladiator (of course) and American Gangster.

The Cardinal Rule

Mathim

I never saw either of those. I did like him in A Beautiful Mind, that was definitely a great film. But other than that, I'm not anxious to see him in anything else.

Has anyone seen Idiocracy? That is definitely a weird one by Mike Judge (creator of Beavis and Butthead, King of the Hill and Office Space) where in five hundred years, everyone is going to be so stupid that we're all going to starve to death because we're going to water plants with Gatorade, and be buried under mountains of garbage. It's actually frighteningly realistic. I for one feel that people are getting dumber day by day. And I base this on how many retards almost run me over with their cars/buses/motorcycles each day while I ride my bike. I mean, I'm almost 300 pounds, how can they NOT see me?

RubySlippers

In defense of Master & Commander that was historically very accurate to how naval battles really were long periods of maneuvering and plotting and short bursts of combat.

Idiocracy was a great movie on how dumb asses are reproducing and smart people don't want to have kids, but they at least HAD a black president.

Jarl Tiberius

Favorite movies…hmmm…

He was a quiet man – That wasn’t acting, that was natural.
Thank you for smoking – Good script.
Bug – Not many enjoyed it, well of course!
Exorcism – They threw Me out from the theater…I was laughing like a maniac.

**Not sure about the last name...forgotten.  Think its The Exorcist

RubySlippers

Ok one group of movies I loved the Hammer Vampire Movies buxom women whoring out with fangs bared and oft time enjoying each other was so cheesy and cool. Especially with the great B-Movie actors in them Peter Cushing, Vincent Price and others.

And how can you not add to this the movies of Ed Wood the worst film director of all time that loved the idea and making his kind of movies: Glen or Glenda (which was subtly given honor in in Seed of Chucky), Bride of the Monster, Plan 9 from Outer Space come on he at least for the crappy budgets he had at least made unique films.

And may I add the worst vampire movie ever BLOOD AND DONUTS, so bad it was good but so bad. lol

Marguerite

Favorite:

Phantom of the Opera
Dracula 2000
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Love Song
To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything
Dirty Dancing
Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights
Resident Evil 2 and 3
Cabin Fever
Full Monty
Cry Baby
Pretty Baby
Blue Lagoon
All Chucky Movies
Blood and Chocolate

Strange:

Blair Witch Project
Little Miss Sunshine
Pink Flamingos
Pirates!
Sweeney Todd

Worst:
Resident Evil 1
BloodRayne
Big Momma's House 2
Love Guru
Fantasic Four: Silver Surfer

Since I am on summer vacation from college classes, I watch a lot of movies with friends, family, and a few people I enjoy.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Sherona

Quote from: Maeven on July 23, 2008, 10:59:33 PM
Well, I know at least one person here on E that regards it as his favorite Russel Crowe movie, so, some really enjoyed it. 

Me... I like him in Gladiator (of course) and American Gangster.

I looooved Russel Crowe in 3:10 to Yuma. Maeven you so need to see this...he plays a rough and tough murderer/thief with a heart of gold *wipes tear from eye*

Ok not a heart of gold but a sensitive side ;) Go see it now :P

Maeven

Quote from: Sherona on July 24, 2008, 07:49:53 AM
I looooved Russel Crowe in 3:10 to Yuma. Maeven you so need to see this...he plays a rough and tough murderer/thief with a heart of gold *wipes tear from eye*

Ok not a heart of gold but a sensitive side ;) Go see it now :P

I haven't seen that one Sherona.  I think I got it in the mail once from Blockbuster online and never watched it.  *goes to put it back on her queue* Thanks for the recommendation.

The Cardinal Rule

Latronia Twilight

i LOVE Juno >.< I'm going to name my first kit that. but if she get's pregnant i swear to god *makes a chocking motion*
You Live To Love, You Love TO Live, But Tell Me My Friend Do You Know What Love Is...Love Is To Live, Then TO Die Alone....

I Don't Suffer From Insanity...I Enjoy Every Minute Of It

Heaven Doesn't Want Me...The Devil's Afraid I'll Take Over...So Where The Hell Am I Suppose To Go?!?!?!?!?

Insanity Is Genetic..We Inherit It From Our Children
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=18712.0

MusicNeverDies

Favourite:
The Usual Suspects- I adore movies with some thought, and killing, and crime. And Kevin Spacey. These are all themes.
The Shawshank Redemption- I don't even know why this is a favourite, I can never get tired of it. Morgan Freeman is so good in it and it's hopeful yet funny yet sad at times. Just good stuff.
American Beauty- Good, dark comedy, stunning acting. Again. Kevin Spacey
The Godfather- The mafia really would be my career of choice, if I was a Sicilian male. Love the book, love the job, love the movie.
A Beautiful Mind- I adore Russell Crowe in this. It was an interesting watch.
Life is Beautiful- I loved this. Normally I'm like, eh, another WW2 film. But it just strikes, the main character is so likable you can't help but watch him and hope he makes it. 

A bunch of others. Really. A bunch bunch.

Strangest:
2001: A Space Odyssey- I love HAL. He's great, this is also one of my top movies, but anyone who's seen the ending has to admit it's just. Weird. I watched it the first time at a young age, and it freaked me out. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to watch while on drugs.
Stay- Ewan McGregor and Ryan Gosling. I just watched because I was in a Ewan mood. It was just. Peculiar.
The Jacket- Weird. Psychological thriller, but it had temporal inconsistencies, which always drive me nuts. I couldn't tell when an inconsistency was in or out of play, and it seemed to drag. I was tired wen watching but still. 

I've seen The Dark Knight 4 times. I'm letting it sink in a bit more before I decide if I place it with my favourites, but it's DAMN good.

Lisossa Etasu

Favourite - Pans Labyrinth - I'm not exactly sure why but after watching it on an British Film channel, I went out and bought it on DVD. I think I just like the fact it's not in English and the speech sounds beautiful

Worst - The Ring Two - Just plain boring, I can't even sit through it without falling asleep

Strange - Blair Witch - Never did understand it
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Roleplay List
The Castle Guardian
It's A Nice Day For A White Wedding

Mathim

Wow, this topic really died. Let me revive it.

Has anyone seen the movie Falling Down? It starts Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall (this alone should be enough to get people to see it, big-name actors like them) and it's just absolutely riddled with social commentary. I mean, any poor person will identify with it. It's just powerful, totally, you will wonder how more people like Michael Douglas' character don't just snap like he does. Do yourselves a favor and see this movie.

Bliss

Oooh, Falling Down is great, definitely.

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 22, 2008, 06:01:07 PM
Well one movie I love is WHEN NIGHT IS FALLING likely one of the best lesbian romance movies ever with interesting themes and character development, extremely attractive main characters and one of the nicest lesbian sex scenes in a movie.

Ruby - Have you ever seen Bound? :D
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Mathim

I think my mom was secretly a lesbian, come to think of it. She liked that movie Bound, and all these other really homoerotic types of movies. Maybe that's why she never got married...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who liked Falling Down. I mean, if you want to get your brain into high-gear and just really start re-examining life and your view of the entire world...watch that movie. It'll blow your mind. Seriously. I kid you not.

Maeven

Loved Falling Down.  Am embarrassed to admit I have it in VHS.

But I like Michael Douglas in mostly all his movies. 

The Cardinal Rule