News:

Main Menu

Coffee or Tea?

Started by Slaven, August 25, 2011, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaven

Quote from: Oniya on September 01, 2011, 08:56:16 PM
The stuff at McD's is known locally as 'diabetes in a cup'.

I'll add just a little sugar to herbal blends, a spoonful to the cheap stuff (plus milk).  I learned the hard way not to add milk to fruit teas. ::)

Oh, wow. I bet that was bad!
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Oniya

When your drink suddenly develops precipitate, you typically don't check to see if it's bad.  I cursed the waste of a tea-bag and got a clean cup.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Slaven

Haha. I think I died a little inside while laughing. I wasn't even aware that was a possibility. :P

Jag

I sun brew my sweet tea, but if I want to drink it I will get my glass before I sweeten it. I usually only add lemon or oranges to my sun brewed tea. The hubby likes it diabetes sweet though.

As for the tea at McDs...all I know is that our unsweet is terribly bitter. Since a few of the guys in back thought it would be funny to put iced coffee in the unsweet container and unsweet in the iced coffee container, we have to test it after they fill them to make sure we know which is which. So I know our unsweet sucks...but I've never tried the sweet and don't plan to. I'll stick to making my own 'sweet' tea at home.

And yeah, milk in fruit tea usually isn't that great. :P I don't add anything to my teas, usually, beyond some lemon or ice.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Lilias

Quote from: Oniya on September 01, 2011, 08:56:16 PM
The stuff at McD's is known locally as 'diabetes in a cup'.

I haven't been to a McD's in months, probably over a year, so don't quote me... but, as far as I know, both tea and coffee here are served unsweetened. The customer is welcome to as many sugar sticks and milk mini-cups as they want, but nobody gets to blame the staff for not making the brew to their taste.

Greek coffee, on the other hand, is brewed with sugar (and never milk, unless it's iced), but the variations are very specific about the ratio, so there's little grounds for complaints. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Reagan

I'm a tea drinker.  It has to be hot, strong and with a generous dash of milk.  There are stronger brands here and brands for hard water areas that I prefer.

I drink green and peppermint teas (almost always hot, but then my climate is quite cool) by way of rationing my regular tea intake and giving my gut some respite.  I have a big mug about twice the size of a regular mug and I'll refill it at least hourly.  I like jasmine scented green tea and I also love peppermint with some liquorice thrown in but I can't always get those variations locally.

As a pick me up at home I'll have lemon juice and ginger in some boiling hot water.  When I'm out and about though, I have been known to resort to the occasional energy drink.  There are cheap assed supermarket knock-offs that I buy, rather than the expensive branded cans.  I'll generally buy a can of supermarket energy drink, a small bottle of Tropicana and then I mix them both up.

For day to day get up & go though, nothing beats Ginseng.

Slaven

..I have to admit that I've never tried a peppermint tea. That has now been added as one of my life goals! Peppermint tea here we come.

Oniya

Peppermint tea is wonderful!  It's great either hot or iced, and if you have a moderate-sized pot (or a walled-off portion of yard), you can get it for practically free.  When we moved into our house, I bought a small mint plant at the local grocery (check the fresh herbs section - if they don't have it in dirt, you can probably root it using a glass of water).  Five years later, it's still going strong.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

I can't stand peppermint, but I definitely recommend apple and cinnamon. It's what is served in traditional Turkish bath houses, last thing before you leave the place. Definitely grounds you to face the rest of the day. ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Jag

Quote from: Lilias on September 02, 2011, 09:34:35 AM
I can't stand peppermint, but I definitely recommend apple and cinnamon.

+1

Peppermint makes me gag.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Slaven

Quote from: Lilias on September 02, 2011, 09:34:35 AM
I can't stand peppermint, but I definitely recommend apple and cinnamon. It's what is served in traditional Turkish bath houses, last thing before you leave the place. Definitely grounds you to face the rest of the day. ;)

Mm..I've had apple and cinnamon. Both are heavenly little drinks that I partake of regularly. :D

undisclosedtoyou

So I've tried adding pumpkin pie spice to the grounds while brewing, and it tastes delicious!  Although I have to find the right amount, because too much impedes filtering for some reason.

Also, I do have to say that how you brew tea definitely makes a difference.  I can make a so so cup, that tastes passingly alright.  But if you go to an actual tea house, with a good reputation, than it's almost always made deliciously.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Malefique

I'm a Brit, and I have to confess - I hate tea!  Seriously, I'd rather drink dishwater.  I've tried all kinds of fruit and herb ones, including liquorice and choco, but there's only one hot drink for me and that's coffee.  (Which does not cover the stuff they serve at MacDs, that's just liquid plastic).  I do use milk but never sugar.  I start the day with a pint of Brazilian, and top up all day long with all kinds of lovely caffeine-ridden stuff.  I never drink decaf, it makes me aggressive  ::).  In summer I have iced coffee, in winter I like extra espresso topped with cream.  In Russia I did develop a very brief fondness for lemon tea but only because their coffee was, in all honesty, piss-poor, and came in either ghastly presweetened and whitened or tiny cups of Turkish sludge.  The best coffee I ever had was in Italy, it was heaven in a cup, but French coffee came a close second.  I can't honestly remember what the coffee tasted like in Amsterdam, read that one how you will, but the worst I ever had - served in the cafe at a Morrison's store in Widnes, which was utterly vile and an insult to the name of coffee.  Shame on them. 
Everything is true.  God's an astronaut.  Oz is over the rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live.

TheAnimeFanGirl

I like both. Depending on who makes it and what kind it is, sometimes coffee can be a bit bitter even with cream and sugar. Some days I prefer tea though.
Cid the Lilty ♥ Viraveth the Selkie

(PM me if you'd like to rp with me in instant messengers)

Characters I'd like others to rp as

Sensual Animation, my forum dedicated to the sensual side of animation. Feel free to join.

Sybl

Hazelnut coffee main choice, occasionally with a pinch of cinnamon

Sun Tea, 2/3's green tea 1/3 black tea

Rarely drink Pepsi

I dislike flavored tea, and herbal tea is nasty. I tried a few, didn't like any)

Once a month I treat my self to a Mocha Cappuccino, dropping in a chunk of extra dark chocolate. (Heavenly)

Ashe

I had a Romanian professor previously who was addicted to coffee and tea so much, she got rid of office hours.  If you wanted to see her, you had to go with her to Starbucks'.  It was adorable.

Apparently, in Romania, there's a big culture battle on tea versus coffee?  Adults are bigger on tea, but coffee is taking over, with the help of Starbucks.  And there's a lot of etiquette to them both, as to when you have what kind of tea/coffee and with what.  They're big on black coffee with honey, just as if it were tea.

You have darker, stronger flavors in the morning, in the afternoon you have light flavors, and in the evening, you have decaffeinated "warm" flavors.

I drink both, and I tended to follow that etiquette already.  I was just surprised at how people are practically surrounding their social lives around drinking.  Well, drinking that doesn't make you lose your mind.

Chris Brady

Personally I find the taste of coffee too bitter to be palatable, so I much prefer tea.  Although, yeah, I do sweeten it (preferably with honey.)
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Adammair

I actually drink both coffee and tea, depending on my mood, but I find coffee revs up my metabolism too much, and for someone with a naturally high metabolism, that isn't always a good thing.

As far as coffee, any flavor is fine as long as it's got milk or half and half (preferably the latter) and sugar to sweeten.

And for tea, I love Snapple, pretty much any kind, plastic or glass bottles, whatever.

madbadpenguin

As an Englishman I am predisposed to enjoy Tea, but none of this weak milky crap. It has to be strong.

Coffee however is my real love, South American tends to be my favourite. I have tried most of what is on offer out there with Jamaican Blue Mountain, Weasel Coffee, Greek/Turkish but I am still to try Kopi Luwak.
On my command let the bickering commence!