[Interest Check] Lewd Themes in 5e Forgotten Realms

Started by AnneReinard, October 20, 2017, 08:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeviantMunster

Depends on the UA. Some of the stuff is a little... eh! Some of it is very nice.

AndyZ

Quote from: AnneReinard on October 25, 2017, 12:08:05 PM
This seems reasonable. I mean, I'm not going to hold people to anything mechanical until a group is selected.

...also, I'm a bit of a masochist. So don't feel that bad.

Well, your avatar seems to imply that you like tentacles, but I'll ask about all those specifics when things seem a little more close to starting ;-) Part of me even wonders if we should suggest trying to start up a less than good party makeup and consider collecting our group a big harem.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Snake

Hmmm... I'm working on my concept personally.I don't know what to try out

Zaer Darkwail

Depending on party size my own suggestion for merc company (or adventure company's) name to be "X Deadly Sins" or "X Dangerous Vices"

Snake

AnneReinard

I will now redirect everyone to https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=277340.0, where I shall work on setting up the actual game!
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.

Daril

Quote from: AnneReinard on October 25, 2017, 09:03:13 AM
Hrm. I'm still fairly new to running 5e. So I think I'm ultimately going to decide on no homebrew or Unearthed Arcana content (aside from Revised Ranger if anybody wants to be a Ranger).

Perhaps that's for the best.  One of the possible settings seemed like a good fit for the character, but I'm not sure if she'd have been a good fit for the party.

Now let's see if I can get a submission based on one of my other concepts done up before everything fills up.  :P

Edit: Not being very familiar with the canonical 5e settings, I thought I should do a little research on the Zhentarim.  Looking at the page on them on the Forgotten Realms wiki, they seem like a lot more than just a simple mercenary band.  They seem to be a hierarchical organization with overarching goals that seeks to rule and is involved in religion and deals with dark powers.  I thought our characters were just going to be simple mercenaries, is that not the case?

Chulanowa

Quote from: Daril on October 26, 2017, 12:53:28 AM
Perhaps that's for the best.  One of the possible settings seemed like a good fit for the character, but I'm not sure if she'd have been a good fit for the party.

Now let's see if I can get a submission based on one of my other concepts done up before everything fills up.  :P

Edit: Not being very familiar with the canonical 5e settings, I thought I should do a little research on the Zhentarim.  Looking at the page on them on the Forgotten Realms wiki, they seem like a lot more than just a simple mercenary band.  They seem to be a hierarchical organization with overarching goals that seeks to rule and is involved in religion and deals with dark powers.  I thought our characters were just going to be simple mercenaries, is that not the case?

Think of it like, you're level 3, out of a possible twenty (or beyond, this being the Forgotten Realms setting) - you are a low-level employee, a recruit, possibly even a mook-for-hire that the higher-ups send to do all the grubby dirty work, while they handle the higher-end stuff and conspiracies and whatnot.

Zaer Darkwail

Also Zhentarim is organization/patron for mercs, meaning working for zhents do not make you into a zhent. Think zhentarim more as patron you work for as part of their hierarchy. If you get offer to join the organization itself; then you go deep slippery slope to evil.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Daril

Thanks for the answers about the Zhentarim from posters here and the GM in the new thread.  I actually wonder if I should move discussion to the new thread but I'm reluctant to spam it up with discussions about "work in progress" material.

I've been thinking of playing a half-drow swordswoman/experienced mercenary.  The character is kind of inspired by this image but I feel like the skimpy outfit might be a bit ridiculous in a more serious setting.  :P  (I thought about justifying it by making her a former gladiator, but you'd think she'd have changed to a more practical style by now.)

I'm also not really that confident in my grasp of drow in the canon settings though I'm not sure I actually need to be that knowledgeable for this particular character.  I was thinking maybe she was exiled/abandoned on the surface due to being a half blood -would that fit?  Might have ended up as a slave for a while -perhaps she learned her trade after being bought by a mercenary.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, as half-drow you do not need know drow racial lore as much if you got entirely abandoned/sold out as a slave. You may had born in Underdark but your mother (who may had been prostitute) then sold you as a child as a slave and then someone from surface bought you and then trained you be gladiator/mercenary slave (perhaps a Zhent or someone else). What comes to outfit; this is fantasy RPG and there is this universal rule about this;

Chulanowa

Quote from: Daril on October 26, 2017, 12:00:36 PM
Thanks for the answers about the Zhentarim from posters here and the GM in the new thread.  I actually wonder if I should move discussion to the new thread but I'm reluctant to spam it up with discussions about "work in progress" material.

I've been thinking of playing a half-drow swordswoman/experienced mercenary.  The character is kind of inspired by this image but I feel like the skimpy outfit might be a bit ridiculous in a more serious setting.  :P  (I thought about justifying it by making her a former gladiator, but you'd think she'd have changed to a more practical style by now.)

I'm also not really that confident in my grasp of drow in the canon settings though I'm not sure I actually need to be that knowledgeable for this particular character.  I was thinking maybe she was exiled/abandoned on the surface due to being a half blood -would that fit?  Might have ended up as a slave for a while -perhaps she learned her trade after being bought by a mercenary.

Ever read anything by R.A. Salvatore, the Drizzt stories? Same world, and all those books are considered canonical.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 26, 2017, 06:43:01 PM
Ever read anything by R.A. Salvatore, the Drizzt stories? Same world, and all those books are considered canonical.

Or War of Spider Queen series.