FULL FOR NOW! Catgirls and Blasters--Space Opera Powered by the Apocalypse

Started by MadPanda, April 30, 2017, 02:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Knarfy

Alright, well I've got a character portrait squared away at least. I guess I'm captain unless someone else wants it.

I think she might be some kind of ex law enforcement, but clearly quit because she hated wearing pants. Gotta let a cooch like that breathe. :3

Godbound: Erry day I'm shillin' it
My O/O thread
Why isn't Knarfy posting? - probably because he is lazy
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous

Ty

Looks like a fun gal, Captain! :D

A recent anime had made me wonder about having a setting where the furs were the original race, and humans the genemodded offshoot. Mostly just to reverse tropes.

Another option is one block are the native sapient species(es?) and another was a inter-stellar/galactic colonization attempt (ala Firefly/ME:A/EVE) and they happen to be cross-fertile. Might explain why the split is drawn human/'non-human'. Unless we'd like factions like Human/Catte/Bunni/Foxx/Goaet

Hmm. Guess I'm rambling too.

I'm definitely fine with Knarfy's premise for the races and also the Precursor theory. But would lean towards them being rumoured rather then known. That way cults or countries can claim to be the descendants/inheritors of the Precursors and thus be assholes to people.

Knarfy

So I've been thinking that the factions would be drawn on political/ideological lines, rather than racial. Like, I'm imagining a pretty seriously cosmopolitan society, with even the 'home worlds' of each species having substantial percentages of immigrants. Something like the race mix in the US. There's still a majority population, but the minority pops are collectively at or beyond the majority.

As for the precursors, it's definitely not known. It's more a situation of: The biologists looked at the situation, then threw up their hands and said "This is fucking ridiculous. This is so unlikely from an evolutionary and biological perspective as to be impossible!" and some people looked back and said "God! Definitely proof of God!" And science mostly rolled it's eyes but couldn't really argue because it was as good an idea as any, and then Giorgio A. Tsoukalos XXXVII showed up and was like "Aliens", and science shrugged and was like "Yea, could be that too I guess, and since we have found some aliens that aren't part of the human/whatever breeding group, that seems more plausible." And that became the prevailing theory. :P
My O/O thread
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous

Knarfy

Sorry to double post, but I'm getting excited now and I can't wait xD

So far people seem in favor of the furs=aliens idea, so I'm going to assume we're going with that. (I know people get busy over the weekend though, so feel free to weigh in and re-open discussion if you want!)

I'm seeing maybe a dozen or so known species at the current time, including humans, with several of them being human compatible, maybe 2-3 others being compatible with each other, but not the human-group (maybe these are the 'scalies'?), and then maybe 1-2 other races that are 'completely alien'. Exactly what those are, we can work out as we go. So far we at least have Humans, Cat-morphs, and Rabbit-morphs, but there's still plenty of room for more.

So the next big question that's not really implicit in the game itself, and this is one for the GM as much as, if not more than the players: Faster than light communications.

Is there some kind of hypernet transmission that makes interstellar phone calls possible? Or is radio and laser communications the best you can get? There are ups and downs to each approach.

Having FTL communications exist makes for a more unified galaxy, and simplifies certain things. But, on the other hand, it can be a kind of 'cheat' sometimes, depending on the exact implementation, and can also make things a bit more complicated (for example, you think the internet is crazy now, just imagine an interstellar version with 50 billion users.) The biggest downside is that unless the tech is super complex or restricted, it really kills the ability to bring a sense of isolation and distance into the game. It's like cellphones in a horror game. Lost in space? Just call home. :P

No FTL communications, on the other hand, does potentially force some inconvenience in that it makes you deal with how stupid big space is, but it can make things more interesting and opens up a lot more opportunities for tension. For example, you can't just broadcast the evidence you just found, you need to get to a jump point and escape before you can expose the evil afoot.

Personally, I think we should split the difference and have a very limited form of FTL comms that work at short ranges, essentially allowing communication within a star system without any obnoxious delays, but still requiring courier ships to get information between systems.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
My O/O thread

Chulanowa

I'm just here for fluffy catgirls and ray guns man, I dunno.

Ty

That's alright, Chul. Hope you don't get scared by the scifi geeks geeking. :D Any character or role ideas by the way?

I was searching Deviant for space catgirl, with sadly poor results, did find this though.

Not quite sure how I feel about it, so if it appeals to anyone else feel free to use.

Ty

Awww. She looks cute and fun. If you want help putting a character together, feel free to ask of course.

Knarfy

Lol, that's fair Chu!

I can't help but get into the nitty gritty sometimes, even if it makes me the guy who jumps into the lighthearted smut game and goes "I get that all the characters have sex all the time, but what about the socioeconomic repercussions?"

Like I said, I love setting work. I'll mark you down as an 'abstain' for now. Of course, feel free if you have an objection to something specific though. :)

In regards to character art, I usually troll https://gelbooru.com/for more general stuff, and https://e621.net/ for more furry stuff. They aren't perfect by any means, but they are pretty extensively tagged which makes it a lot easier to look for something specific.

Also, if you find an image that's *almost* perfect, feel free to throw it my way and I'll see if I can do something with it. I'm not a photoshop wizard or anything, but I'm good enough to get some work done. (Just as an example, the pic I posted is made up of 3 different source pics and some stuff was just straight up painted (mostly the bad parts xD)
My O/O thread

MadPanda

Okay, we're live!  Move it on over, folks.

OOCness

Cast and Rules Reference Thread

Actual story thread will follow once we have some people posted and the Factions felt out.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Knarfy

MP, you might want to see if you can change the thread title to indicate we're looking for more players. I'm betting a lot of people are just assuming that we're still full and chattering away in here rather than that your last post was a casting call :)
My O/O thread

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Hunter

Would there be room for a petite, cute, and lethal catgirl trained primarily as an assassin type?   Someone who comes off as innocent and a bit naive...at least until she goes all "league of assassins", anyways.   (Think River only sane and trained from birth to kill.)

I'm thinking she'd look something like...

Ty

Seems like it could be good to me. There's an OOC thread if you want to look at the setting rambling we've been doing.

MadPanda

I don't know that this game would be to your tastes, Hunter...not unless they've changed a lot since you were first on E.

In Memory of Bishrook

Mac84

Why Catgirls?

Um...why NOT catgirls!

Cat Planet Cuties anyone. :P

MadPanda

The person for whom that comment was immortalized was my Apocalypse World MC who was (to put it gently) unfamiliar with the awesome power of cuteness that is the traditional anime-style catgirl.   ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Sessha

So I guess question comes in. Is there still an opening here?
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Knarfy

My O/O thread

GunmetalDreamer

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Ty

Kimmy

Sooo I'm throwing in an idea with Muse, if there are spots available. If not, ah well... I only found this today sorry.
April Xanther, Squirrel Space Reporter

Name: April Xanther
Race: Squirrelgirl
Family: Twin Sisters! Quintuplets?!
Planet: Rowan, Hightech Spireworld of Luxury & Corruption.
Description: Carefree, Stunning, Distracted!
Physical Description: Amber Fur, Distracted Grooming, Careless Hair & Stunning Eyes. April has a long fluffy tail that seems to take up as much space as she does! April dresses in loose
Origin: Advanced
Career: Personality & Edducation.
Skills: Inspiration, Contacts, Deduction, Surveillance.
Stats: Mettle +1, Physique +1, Influence +2, Expertise +0, Interface -1.
Workspace: Stately - An expensive taste runs through her personal quarters, adding a luxurious & stylish taste to her current affairs.
Advancement: Rumors spread like wildfire!

Assets: Class 1 Broadcast Kit, Class 1 Hoverboard, Class 1 Hover Camera, Class 2 Attire (Shielded, Sealed):

Rowan: A high tech, glamorous spire world of luxury, spacious nature & contrastly poor areas. It's corruption has split the economic lines apart, but it's attainment of the natural world gives the poorer folk something many other worlds lack - the ability to still touch nature. This contrast allows even the poorest of people to still hold the luxury of growing natural foods, experiencing tamed nature & even owning land.

April on Rowan: "Rowan's a wonderful place. Here you can spread out, relax & enjoy the space so many other worlds have lost. Everything's so glamorous... I love relaxing somewhere high up, watching the leaves rustle in the winds & listening to the quiet humm of the world."
"Why, even the kids punking off school look all glammed up doing their tricks on their Hoverboards & Bi-jets, wearing Glamglow KicksTM & Tailift skirtsTM!"
"But you have to be careful. If you aren't careful, one minute your college professor will set you up with a perfect contract doing Satelittle TV ADs for the latest Space CluedoTM & new Quinox MechtechTM... Next you'll find yourself trapped doing the last half of your contract as an 'Associate Reporter' for the Naked News NetworkTM  wearing nothing but a forceshield and a microphone..."

And yes, April always talks like that - it's what you get when you take a Communications Minor in 'Corperated Copyright ComplianceTM'

History: April grew up with her
four sisters
, cared for by their
Nano Nanny.
April had a distracted
nature
but she made it through to college with the help of her infectious, carefree nature - and borrowing her sister's notes alot...
Her lecturer's had
problems
with April often, but April found
ways
of getting herself out of trouble.
It also helped get her into some good promotions once she finished her degree - like how she & her sister got into the
Space
Cluedo!
with several of April's
classmates
got into it as well. After her
Quinten
ad placement, her media career plateaued into
Space Recruitment
before she spiraled down onto the N3TM - doing
Naked
reporting. Which she wouldn't of minded so much if she hadn't been in space where nothing but a forcefield bracelet. Her fur just wasn't designed for those kind of temperatures!

Now free of that contract, she's very happy to be joining her sister on the Honeypot, looking for a good scoop anywhere - if she isn't goofing off skating about the inner hull...
Posting rate: Moderate       Currently Chasing: Playful, Romance & Something Rough.
A&A           RL Issues: Some Insomnia.
Offsite RP's: 2 online + 1 RL. Currently Craving: Romance and just a touch of something darker...

Muse

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Dakota Xanther, Indipedent Xeno-Archeologist
Player: Muse
Archtype: Academic/Explorer/Advanced

Description: Brash, Carefree, Distracted,

Mettle:      +2
Physique:   +1
Influence:   -1
Expertise:   +1
Interface:   +0

Skills (3 from Careers, 1 from Origin)
Boldly Go
When leading an expedition into the unknown, Roll+Mettle.
On a 10+, choose 1.
On a 7-9, the GM will choose 1.
You encounter?
• something potentially profitable
• something currently useful
• something uniquely awesome

Custom Flyer
   You own a custom-designed Class 3 shuttle or speeder vehicle.  If that vehicle is ever lost, you can spend an extended period of time claiming a new vehicle as your Custom Vehicle, adding an extra upgrade to it.

Education
   When you gain one or more Data Points about a subject, each ally that was present or involved also gains a Data Point about the subject.

Technobabble
   You can Command crew using Expertise rather than Influence. Subjects of your Command can perform minor technical or scientific tasks, no matter their skill set.

Workspace
Research: Sensors gather scientific readings.  Laboratory, containment units, sample scanners, sealed storage.

Assets
Class 0:  Outift (Tight, breathable blue leggins and top.) 

Class 1:  Wrist Computer (Satelite wireless functionality, cameras, and basic sensors inlcuded.) 

Class 1: Hoverboard (Uses a gravity mirror and gyroscope to hover a half meter off the ground.  Lean the board gently forewards to accelerate by tilting the gravity mirrors.  Theoretical maximum speed is terminal velocity.) 

Class 2: Personal Force Field (Projected from a combination of wrist and ankle bangles, chocker and belly chain, this civilian high tech system responds to danger with screens of repulsive force that buffer against falls, knock away blows, and fuzz out energy based attacks, thus providing an underdressed girl with armor and safety pads.  The repulsive force also amplifies unarmed strikes, giving them extra force and a whole lot more knockback. 

Data Points

XP Triggers
• A life is saved or destroyed by science.
• A forgotten place is excavated.

Factions (Debt / Favor)
   TESLA ()

Injuries
Minor:
Major:
Severe:
Critical:
Fatal:

History: 

Dakota's Opinons: 
On her Homeworld: 
   "Rowan is a beautiufl world, really.  I love hding away in the libraries, skataing the skyscrapers, and playing in the forsts. 
   "But really, be careful of the smiles people wear there.  Look out for a smile that doesn't touch the eyes.
   "Beneath the shimmer and polish, there's some cruel hearts and rotten cores.  Poloticians and police who'll do anything for the right check, millionars who've climbed over the backs of their customers and emploeyes. 
   "I think I like the people in low town better.  They're poor and suspicious, usualy crude and uneducated, but they're honest.  Wether they're inviting you to share a drink on their porch, rapping and danicng on the street corner, or holding you at knife point for your purse, you don't have to peel off a dozen masks to find out what they want or what they think.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)