[Shadowlight] Interest Check - A D&D 5E Dual Adventure

Started by Wispyr, January 28, 2017, 12:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wispyr

I am currently looking into running a Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition adventure set in a homebrew world of my own creation.

The Shadowlight game will use a unique twin-adventure model; which basically means that I will be running two campaigns simaltainously that will run parallel to one another, and the actions of one group can (will!) affect the actions of the other - with both groups potentially colliding more directly at various points in the narrative. Each group will operate - mostly - independently and be run as two separate groups that happen to be operating in the same region(s), so direct interaction between the two sets will be limited but definitely possible. Of course, then you have to consider that these two groups will also be working towards opposing goals.

The basic premise of Shadowlight is thus:

White Hats: Group one will consist of the "good guys" who are working for the general betterment of the region. These individuals may be brought together by the governing body, or by some avatar of the good, potentially something else entirely. In the long run, this group will be fighting on the LG/NG/CG/LN side of the fence and trying to bring around stability in the region. They'll be illuminating the shadows, inspiring hope, and otherwise being a more traditional set of adventurers that find themselves in service to some bigger cause. They'll become champions, heroes, and legends in the eyes of those of the region.

Black Hats: Group two will consist of the "bad guys" who are working towards various sinister goals. This group will almost certainly be brought together by some pinnacle of darkness that binds them together, though their services may extend to the most corrupt of men who wish to see upheaval and destabilization in the region. They'll be working to undermine the efforts of champions, take what they please, further their twisted agenda, and otherwise, make a mess of things for their own reasons. This group will operate on the CN/LE/NE/CE side of the fence.

The Story At A Glance
Kiur is an ancient land with a turbulent history shrouded in mystery and blood. It is a breeding ground for creatures that even nightmares don't dare conjure, but also a region so rich with resources that those human-like races that inhabit it can't bear to simply give it up. They say that the land itself is magical, that sitting beneath the great mountain Kidaraan is a convergence of ley lines, the very lifelines of the world itself - it is rumored that it is because of this font of unparalleled arcane energy is what draws creatures to the land. It isn't just monsters that come for the riches of the land, though, but men and beings from beyond this world as well. All with their own reasons, their own agendas, and their own methods to making those things a reality. The secrets of the land have been passed down and lost over countless wars fought for control of the region - though always are those seeking to recover and use them for their own advantage. The people of Kiur are fractured, giving their allegiance to various political factions each with their own views on how things in Kiur should be run. Skirmishes over land are a terrifying reality as these factions fight over bits of land they claim is their own; all while the looming threats of those beasts lurking in the swirling mists that roll through the land are ever present.

Game Details
Here are some of the things that I am looking for with this interest check:

• Shadowlight requires either 8 or 10 players. Each group will need to be at minimum 4 players, but I am eager for each group to be 5 players. That said I will take no more than 10 people on this adventure at this time.
  • I will require at least 6 individuals before I will release the rest of the information for this game and do an actual recruitment thread.
  • This is an interest check thread, not a recruitment thread. Voicing your interest is not a promise that you will be approved into the game should it reach the recruitment stage.
  • It is my intent to allow any of the currently published 5E material so long as you have access to it.
  • This campaign will unlikely start at level 1, more likely closer to 5 or 6.
  • I am not interested in running only one-half of this game - I have other 5E campaign ideas I'd rather run with a single group. If I can not find the proper support for both sides, I will not move forward with this idea.
  • Familiarity with 5E is not required but is highly encouraged. You should have at least a basic idea of how D&D functions as to not hold the game up excessively - however, I am happy to work with any players new to the system so long as you demonstrate a willingness to invest the time needed to learn.
  • The "white hats" do not need to be Dudley-do-rights. This group is meant to be a more standard adventuring party that leans to the good side of things, doing battle for a just cause. They don't all need to be saints.
  • The "black hats" can not be mindless murder hobos. While this group is absolutely meant to be evil, it should be done with some degree of subtly and grace - unless circumstance should dictate otherwise. Characters on this side of the fence will be bound together for a reason, and treachery among the ranks should be fairly limited if present at all.
  • Player character death is a thing that can happen. This is dungeons and dragons and that's part of the game. It will never be my intent to make it happen, but it's possible and you should be prepared for that potential. If during the course of the adventure your character meets an unfortunate fate but you as a player would like to continue with the adventure you will be permitted to reroll a new character and will be reintroduced to the party in a way applicable to the situation.

I'll answer whatever questions I can at this point, but right now I am mostly looking for those who might be interested in this sort of setting. If you are interested I'm happy to hear game elements that you'd like to see included, and I'll see what can be fit in so that it can be explored. Any story suggestions / themes / etc will be considered. At this time there's no point in pitching character concepts, but if you have a vague idea it won't hurt to put it out there.

So... -Clicks the interest check activation button- Who's interested?

Elysian Radiance

OOOOOHHH ME ME ME! PICK MEEEEE!

I'd like to play on the White Hat team. I don't want to play a caster, so I will be looking at something physical or a bard.

However if there's an overabundance of White Hats, I can try to write up a Black Hat but it's not something that is my first choice.
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Amarlo

Tentative Black hat here, looking to mindlessly murder women and children!  O:)

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

MiraMirror

On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

AribethAmkiir

I'm interested.  I think I could go either way, but probably leaning toward "black hat".  Also, should probably note that my knowledge of 5e is somewhat limited.  I've got the basics down, I'm in another game currently, but it hasn't gotten very far and I'm playing a fairly basic class - Fighter.  :p

Wispyr

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on January 28, 2017, 12:36:23 AM
I'm interested.  I think I could go either way, but probably leaning toward "black hat".  Also, should probably note that my knowledge of 5e is somewhat limited.  I've got the basics down, I'm in another game currently, but it hasn't gotten very far and I'm playing a fairly basic class - Fighter.  :p

No worries about being new to it. 5E is pretty straight forward, and if you've got the basics then the "advanced" stuff is easy to pick up when it comes up. It'd be awesome to have you on board. :D

AribethAmkiir

Countdown0

Definitely interested.

I'm honestly up for joining either the "good guys" or the "bad guys", since I can have fun playing either good or evil characters. If I don't get to just fill in for whichever side has fewer volunteers, I'd be quite happy to flip a coin or roll a d2 to see which side I sign on with :P
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Wispyr

Quote from: Countdown0 on January 28, 2017, 12:59:41 AM
Definitely interested.

I'm honestly up for joining either the "good guys" or the "bad guys", since I can have fun playing either good or evil characters. If I don't get to just fill in for whichever side has fewer volunteers, I'd be quite happy to flip a coin or roll a d2 to see which side I sign on with :P
Flexibility is super helpful. We'll dive into the balance of sides should we get to the recruitment thread... But it seems there's potentially enough interest in it already to warrant that.

shmone else

I'm interested! I could go either way on the sides, although I've got a definite tendency to play against type which probably translates to a more shady White Hat or a more noble Black Hat.

Dominique

Expressing interest! I want to try my hand at creating a male character, a white hat I reckon ^^

Amarlo

Quote from: Dominique on January 28, 2017, 01:46:41 AM
Expressing interest! I want to try my hand at creating a male character, a white hat I reckon ^^
Oooo, good idea... I might try the whole male thing too. :o

Can I be your evil twin? ;P xD (jk jk - mostly)

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

MiraMirror

I'd like to try a vague idea at maybe making a white hat sister to a black hat character, perhaps sent to different areas to grow up and take different paths.
Also, I'm gonna try for a monk.

Rummy Tum Tum

Elysian Radiance

Well, damn. I was going to suggest siblings for mine once an actual recruitment post went up but it seems that several others already want to do that. =/

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.

MiraMirror

Quote from: Elysian Radiance on January 28, 2017, 01:54:44 AM
Well, damn. I was going to suggest siblings for mine once an actual recruitment post went up but it seems that several others already want to do that. =/

If you're doing black hat, plot with meeeee.

Elysian Radiance

Quote from: MiraMirror on January 28, 2017, 01:56:08 AM
If you're doing black hat, plot with meeeee.
It looks like we're going to have plenty of black so I was just going to go white as it was my first choice.

Probably going to do an Aasimar bard.

And back to bed with me before I get scolded for not sleeping lol!

MiraMirror

I don't have the books, only the core one.   Core only for meeeee. ;3;

CeruleanSerenity

I'd like to see how this plays out, though I probably as a white hat... I'm not usually comfortable playing evil characters. But I might try it eventually.

Wispyr

Well well... Interest seems to be here. I'll work on an actual recruitment thread and have some setting details worked out. Should be able to have that up Sunday at some point.

In the mean time, we can keep discussing the game and ideas here (and gathering more interest. Questions / comments / ideas / things you like / things you want... While I'm building things are the best time to give this to me. So let me know thoughts you have.

Also welcome everyone, and thanks for the support. It's always appreciated. <3

Amarlo

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Rummy Tum Tum

Quote from: Amarlo on January 28, 2017, 02:37:08 AM
I want a fluffy pink unicorn mount, pls. Kthnx :3
I do too, but I want mine to shoot laserbeams from its eyes!

Wispyr

Quote from: Rummy Tum Tum on January 28, 2017, 02:38:54 AM
I do too, but I want mine to shoot laserbeams from its eyes!
Quote from: Amarlo on January 28, 2017, 02:37:08 AM
I want a fluffy pink unicorn mount, pls. Kthnx :3
I'll tell ya what... I'll stat it out, and if you can kill it, you can have it.  >:)

Rummy Tum Tum

Countdown0

I'd like to play a Fighter of noble birth who has a mount and acts like he's better than everyone else, because, you know, nobility. I'm still good to play either White Hat or Black Hat, so I guess his alignment would be Lawful Neutral or MAYBE Lawful Good as a White Hat, or Lawful Evil as a Black hat. Actually, could still be Lawful Neutral as part of the evil group I suppose. Just from a noble family who are a bit less nice to people :D
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's