News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Alien Astronaught Theory

Started by Hunter, November 11, 2010, 08:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaiiVii

Quote from: Noelle on January 26, 2011, 07:10:18 PM
SUDDENLY, BUNNIES

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

:D Made my day

Silverfyre: I was just hoping someone had more information then I have been able to find. I am a fairly rational person, I just want to know what the answer is, so to speak. I don't care who's right I just want to see if anyone had heard better information than me. The reason I posted here was because i saw it first on that TV show (as did everyone else posting on the internet in recent times apparently) not because I am for sure backing that theory myself. There's too little information for me to back ANY theory at the moment,
"Whatever you are, be a good one"- Abe Lincoln

On/Off/Plot/etc Thread :)

Silverfyre

Quote from: KaiiVii on January 26, 2011, 07:22:40 PM
:D Made my day

Silverfyre: I was just hoping someone had more information then I have been able to find. I am a fairly rational person, I just want to know what the answer is, so to speak. I don't care who's right I just want to see if anyone had heard better information than me. The reason I posted here was because i saw it first on that TV show (as did everyone else posting on the internet in recent times apparently) not because I am for sure backing that theory myself. There's too little information for me to back ANY theory at the moment,

I understand where you are coming from.  That's great that you are interested in finding out more information.  Just don't fall into the pit fall of "pseudo science" and other types of sensationalized news.  If you are really interested in exploring "alien theory", I recommend the book, "Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. 

It can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Demon-Haunted-World-Science-Candle-Dark/dp/0345409469

P.S: While it is a good book, it does have a bit of an anti-religious flare to it at points that can gnaw away at those with faith.  Otherwise, a brilliant, rational and documented study that I hope you enjoy.

KaiiVii

I will keep the book in mind, unfortunately I have no funds to buy with. And truth it was more that site in particular that interests me than the Alien theory, that debate is being beaten to death and will not be settled for a long time xD.

Noelle

Things got really tense there for a moment. Thankfully, there were copious amounts of fluffy bunny to soak up the anger. Like cute, furry sponges.

Silverfyre

Quote from: Noelle on January 26, 2011, 07:53:16 PM
Things got really tense there for a moment. Thankfully, there were copious amounts of fluffy bunny to soak up the anger. Like cute, furry sponges.

Well, I was saving this... just in case.

KaiiVii

I agree. Bunnies solve everything.

Silverfyre

Quote from: KaiiVii on January 26, 2011, 08:02:24 PM

And pancakes.  Pancakes could solve wars, if done right.  But, we are getting off topic so I will leave this discussion with a more on topic point.

Will

Quote from: KaiiVii on January 26, 2011, 08:02:24 PM

Untrue.  They don't clear up my confusion over why any unexplained set of evidence is immediately attributed to aliens. :(
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

KaiiVii

Quote from: Will on January 26, 2011, 08:06:07 PM
Untrue.  They don't clear up my confusion over why any unexplained set of evidence is immediately attributed to aliens. :(

Well ...almost everything.

Silverfyre: I learn things from Pawn Stars and American Pickers... the others I agree with xD

Silverfyre

Quote from: KaiiVii on January 26, 2011, 11:13:16 PM
Well ...almost everything.

Silverfyre: I learn things from Pawn Stars and American Pickers... the others I agree with xD

As much as I hate to admit it, I love Pawn Stars.  Especially their experts.  Such colorful characters.

American Pickers, though... don't get me started on those womanizing swindlers. 

DudelRok

Ancient Aliens is such an awesome idea. I don't... I mean, I don't take anything in that instance (right down to big bang and God) as serious but I like the ideas.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Oniya

Quote from: Silverfyre on January 27, 2011, 05:01:40 AM
As much as I hate to admit it, I love Pawn Stars.  Especially their experts.  Such colorful characters.

Pawn Stars actually has some historical content from time to time - although I'm amazed Chumley remembers to breathe.  Head has met desk frequently over that.  So does Auction Kings (Mr. Oniya has a new obsession of 'how much is crap lying around your house worth', even though we don't have anything nearly that interesting).

I much prefer HCI and MIL.  Unfortunately, MHC isn't on our cable package.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

KaiiVii

Quote from: Silverfyre on January 27, 2011, 05:01:40 AM

Actually I would like to hear more about why you don't like them. I don't support shows that aren't honest.

On topic:

My thoughts on this theory tends to get colored by the fact that I love Stargate...I have to try and overcome that xD

Oniya

Quote from: KaiiVii on January 27, 2011, 11:21:10 AM
Actually I would like to hear more about why you don't like them. I don't support shows that aren't honest.

Having watched them, the entire premise of the show seems to be 'how little can I pay to get this incredibly valuable thing off of this random homeowner'.  Can't speak to the 'womanizing' aspect, as I don't pay that much attention.

As for Stargate and similar shows:  while I fully believe that there is life - and intelligent life - out there in the universe, the science that allows me to hold onto that also makes it unlikely that we are part of some 'alien terrarium', 'failed breeding/uplift project', or 'extraterrestrial tourist destination'.  Maybe if there were more 'Earth-class' systems nearby, but we're out in the sticks, galactically speaking.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

DudelRok

Quote from: Oniya on January 27, 2011, 11:38:39 AMAs for Stargate and similar shows:  while I fully believe that there is life - and intelligent life - out there in the universe, the science that allows me to hold onto that also makes it unlikely that we are part of some 'alien terrarium', 'failed breeding/uplift project', or 'extraterrestrial tourist destination'.  Maybe if there were more 'Earth-class' systems nearby, but we're out in the sticks, galactically speaking.

That all depends on how you measure the universe and make certain assumptions. Just because there are not more "Earth-class" planets doesn't mean there are not more planets that could house similar or even identical life with just a little bit of tweaking. This isn't counting the fact that when it comes to outer space our own galaxy becomes small and even ignorable as an actual unit of scale. And outside of some simple microbials, we really don't know anything in terms of alien life outside of the knowledge of vast expanse simply makes "zero" a logical impossibility.

I AM THE RETURN!

Will

Quote from: DudelRok on January 27, 2011, 12:27:07 PM
That all depends on how you measure the universe and make certain assumptions. Just because there are not more "Earth-class" planets doesn't mean there are not more planets that could house similar or even identical life with just a little bit of tweaking. This isn't counting the fact that when it comes to outer space our own galaxy becomes small and even ignorable as an actual unit of scale. And outside of some simple microbials, we really don't know anything in terms of alien life outside of the knowledge of vast expanse simply makes "zero" a logical impossibility.

Judging the size of our galaxy on the scale of the universe doesn't change the size of our galaxy in relation to us.  It's still huge in terms of getting from one star to another.  "Looking at it differently" doesn't make that any easier.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Quote from: DudelRok on January 27, 2011, 12:27:07 PM

Let's put it this way:  'Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.'  The probability that our planet, being 'far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy', is some kind of happening tourist destination, as the number of UFO conspiracies would seem to indicate, may not be impossible, but it is very, very improbable.

*ahem*

Now that I'm done channeling Douglas Adams, I reiterate that I fully believe that there is intelligent, technologically advanced life out there.  I just think it has better things to do than buzzing by an unremarkable yellow sun.

Jude

I personally really enjoy zombie movies.  I find ghost-haunting films fairly exciting.  I love playing video games that have all sorts of elaborate theological and technological impossibilities in them.  And that's fine; just because I enjoy fiction with elements of the impossible or astronomically unlikely doesn't mean I should skew my view of reality so that the fantasy I enjoy creeps in on it.

DudelRok

Well like this and all other "creation ideas" and unknown history I stick with a firm "Iunno" and go back to my video games.

In reality, it is all equally as plausible and all equally as nonsense until something firm can be shown as fact. XD

I AM THE RETURN!

Silverfyre

Quote from: Jude on January 27, 2011, 01:19:20 PM
I personally really enjoy zombie movies.  I find ghost-haunting films fairly exciting.  I love playing video games that have all sorts of elaborate theological and technological impossibilities in them.  And that's fine; just because I enjoy fiction with elements of the impossible or astronomically unlikely doesn't mean I should skew my view of reality so that the fantasy I enjoy creeps in on it.

This.

Noelle

I think a lot of people project movie-style fantasies about other intelligent life without pausing to consider that said intelligent life is not necessarily even zooming around in UFOs and shooting laser beams at all. They could be knuckle-draggers, they could be tentacled, they could be geniuses, or they could be mind-numbingly stupid, but self-aware. They could be like us, still trying to get off their rock and conjuring ridiculous images of large-headed, bug-eyed, bald green people anally probing them into oblivion. We have no idea if they are more or less advanced than we are, we have no idea if their idea of advanced or intelligent is even comparable to our own. We have no clue period.

Jude

A lot of people like to take a crap on modern society for things that occur nowadays that they consider inhumane, but I honestly believe that the governments of today are infinitely more humane and reasonable than what existed 500 years ago.  Humankind has moved away from tyranny, despotism, and incivility to a large degree, because our history is one of freedom universally benefiting our species.  Consider how easily an intelligent species in more dire situations could adopt an antithetical view to our "freedom and democracy are good" concepts, and you begin to see that aliens, though advanced, could still be quite barbaric and frightening.  Two quick video game examples:

Fallout New Vegas, Caeser's Legion

There's some brilliant political commentary on the efficacy of Democracy in survival situations here.  What seems horrible and savage can fulfill a purpose of bringing about order in times of anarchy.  Sometimes the ends do justify the means, thinking that isn't ever true is a luxury of comfortable society.

And two cases from Mass Effect 2

1)  The Quarians

A species that literally exiled itself through slavery of intelligent technology that backfired.  They literally have no home world to call their own now.  They wander the galaxy bent on reclaiming they planet they evolved on through any means necessary since it is the only place they are evolutionary adapted to exist on.  They can't settle somewhere else because their physiology is incapable of surviving there, yet getting what they want means genocide of an artificially intelligent race -- and do they even deserve moral consideration because they are artificial?

2)  Racial superiority

When you encounter different intelligent species, some of them actually will quite literally be genetically superior.  This isn't something humans have actually dealt with because we're all roughly the same genetically, but imagine how a galactic civilization would cope with actual, tangible inequality?  Do inferior beings deserve equal consideration?  Should species genetically modify themselves to be in line with the top-tier species?

My point with these science fiction examples is that aliens, were they to exist, would live in such incredibly different circumstances.  Their perspectives and priorities would be so different from ours and they would represent a million moral and technological quandaries that we've yet to encounter.  All of the speculation about their existence, and the desire for them to exist, misses this point.

Kate

What i do agree with (and often i find myself in the minority view of these topics) ... is the suggestion that an alien species would likely have priorities and perspectives, morals and ethics that are "alien" to us.

Intellect itself could be very very different (ie intellegence here is very distributed, some can be socially intelligent but have issues with numbers, or good with logistics but not necessarily good with spacial awareness). and thats just variation within our own species.

I heard dogs "think" in smell maps - which is why the love sniffing everything - they are effectively updating their memory-map.