What Makes You Feel Old?

Started by LostInTheMist, April 29, 2022, 05:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTheMist

I was just reflecting after posting in the "last thing you copied" and listening to the Saga Begins song that I remember when it first came out (in the previous millennium) the only way to see the music video was to catch it on MTV, and you had to sit and watch it all the way through because you couldn't pause TV back then.

The other thing that makes me feel old is that kids who were born after 9/11 are old enough to vote (18 in the United States) now, and some will be turning 21 this year. (Which is the legal drinking age in the United States.)

This isn't intended to be negative, which is why it's here, but if it belongs in the Bad and Ugly Forum, then I guess it should be moved there.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated April 1, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: House sitting. Will not be replying until I return. See my A/As for details.

Endorphin

When the weeks and weekends seem to blend together these days; and I sit back and wonder where all the time went.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Nouhime

Driving and song comes on the radio with the year it came out. Realising that I was still in school or high school when that song was first running.

solkar

Nothing. I'm aware of being older than before, and being older than most people now, but I never feel old.

Azy

A local radio station plays 80's music for the older listeners at the lunch hour.  Now they're including 90's music, because 90's is old now.  I was a kid in the 90's, but still..... 

KnightmareTerror

When I heard Green Day get called "Classic rock" on the radio.

Nico

Quote from: solkar on May 07, 2022, 04:43:45 AM
Nothing. I'm aware of being older than before, and being older than most people now, but I never feel old.
I'm pretty much the same, actually.

cincinnatus

Quote from: Azy on May 07, 2022, 08:17:26 AM
A local radio station plays 80's music for the older listeners at the lunch hour.  Now they're including 90's music, because 90's is old now.  I was a kid in the 90's, but still.....

Hearing the "progressive" music you listened to as a kid as fill music at the grocery store.

Oniya

I'm about to make half of this forum feel old:

Little Oni ordered her first cocktail for her birthday last weekend.   ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on May 08, 2022, 04:13:57 PM
I'm about to make half of this forum feel old:

Little Oni ordered her first cocktail for her birthday last weekend.   ;D
Nope, nuh-uh, no, sir. I refuse to believe she's not perpetually the same kid when you first came to this website and no amount of reality will change that fact. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wandering Mind

Talking to others who bring up that they are in their 20s.  Oh yeah, talking to people who are feeling their age and they are around the same age as me.    ::)
Estimated response rate: 3 to 10 days.
Owed Posts: Too many
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Azy

I was watching an interview with Daniel Radcliffe, and it was mentioned that the first Harry Potter movie was released 20 years ago.... 

LostInTheMist

I passed 25 years of using the internet without even noticing it. I've been on the internet since I was eight years old, back when it was ancient dial-up and I had to ask permission, because it would occupy our phone line. I'd fire up netscape navigator and... honestly... I don't even remember what I did online back then. Played games? Really, I don't remember anything I did online until I was 12 or 13 and stumbled into online roleplaying.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated April 1, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: House sitting. Will not be replying until I return. See my A/As for details.

Azy

Quote from: LostInTheMist on May 16, 2022, 09:28:24 PM
I passed 25 years of using the internet without even noticing it. I've been on the internet since I was eight years old, back when it was ancient dial-up and I had to ask permission, because it would occupy our phone line. I'd fire up netscape navigator and... honestly... I don't even remember what I did online back then. Played games? Really, I don't remember anything I did online until I was 12 or 13 and stumbled into online roleplaying.

Oh god....  The internet didn't exist until I was 14....  I remember because when the Science teacher took us into the computer lab to introduce us to this crazy new thing called dial up internet my arm was in a cast.  I didn't have it at home until AOL caught on. 

Oniya

I accessed USENET and BBSes with a 2400 baud modem and a terminal program.

Quote from: Azy on May 16, 2022, 09:49:47 PM
Oh god....  The internet didn't exist until I was 14....  I remember because when the Science teacher took us into the computer lab to introduce us to this crazy new thing called dial up internet my arm was in a cast.  I didn't have it at home until AOL caught on. 

I did phone support for Q-Link, and sorted bug reports for the Win3.1 version of AOL.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lingo

Going back to school!!

Then again, talking to people who are 20+ years older than me and in PA school is wild. Like damn son, you the real MVP, chase all the dreams!

JosephTheBat

When somebody asked me why people used to queue in front of street phone boxes LOL
*~*~*   Joseph's Dream wishes and Off-s    *~*~*

RedRose

Labels, names and initials, verbs suddenly becoming a name or opposite, having to learn about all of them.
More serious: I remember smoking inside (not me), no seatbelt, ashtrays on planes, kids getting hit in public (granted still see but less), and while we're at that, hitting fingers with a ruler
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Nameless One

Finding out that cursive speech is something that actually exists in the real world. And that some young people are actually speaking in cursive ti each other for fun. And finding it extremely annoying for some unknown reason...
It is "Torment". It is that which draws all tormented souls to you. The flesh knows it suffers, even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always.

Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: Nameless One on June 22, 2022, 02:40:45 AM
Finding out that cursive speech is something that actually exists in the real world. And that some young people are actually speaking in cursive ti each other for fun. And finding it extremely annoying for some unknown reason...
Which can be hilarious because it's becoming more common to find young people who don't know how to read cursive. Heck, I write almost entirely in cursive unless I can't or shouldn't since I learned it in the third grade and it was seen as old hat even when I was growing up. (As someone who likes to handwrite notes for writing projects cursive is easier on the hands.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

stormwyrm

I have a box of "save icons" in my attic. :P
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Oniya

Quote from: Nameless One on June 22, 2022, 02:40:45 AM

I had to look this up, and the definition I found describes it as 'slurring so badly (as if drunk) that all the words run into each other'.  Which, I suppose, is a good description of cursive writing, since the letters all lean and run into each other.  I'd also consider someone speaking that way deliberately to be extremely annoying.

OT:  The way my shoulders are aching after yesterday's yard work.

BlueOrange

First, I noticed they were letting children into university.

A few years later, they started letting children out of university.

Now they’re letting MY children out of university!

Oniya

Quote from: BlueOrange on June 29, 2022, 04:55:15 PM
First, I noticed they were letting children into university.

A few years later, they started letting children out of university.

Now they’re letting MY children out of university!

*fist-bumps*

BlueOrange

Hehe!

I’m also grateful for some of the things. Like Rebecca Romijn still being amazingly attractive :)