Website Navigation update

Started by SilhouetteBlack, July 12, 2013, 03:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilhouetteBlack

Hello, I bounce around to a lot of different forums and every time I want to hit the 'Forums tab', at the top of the screen, it's a looooong scroll up.  I'm not sure what your web development capabilities are but if you installed Rocket Bar, the top navigation would follow the user up and down the screen.  It works really well on mobile too.  Just a suggestion. :)
http://addyosmani.com/blog/rocketbar/

I'd also suggest putting a 'Mail' or 'Inbox' tab at the top, if you implement the Rocket Bar.
~We'll begin, with a spin, traveling in a world of my creation.~

Moraline

Just to be a voice of dissent. I absolutely despise those floating bars. I don't like anything that forces itself onto my screen and gets in my way like that.

I would much rather just see three words on the bottom of every post "Back to top." And when you click it, it takes you back to the top. It could be right next to " Report to moderator   Logged " but on the opposite side.

Caeli

Quote from: Moraline on July 12, 2013, 06:21:35 PM
Just to be a voice of dissent. I absolutely despise those floating bars. I don't like anything that forces itself onto my screen and gets in my way like that.

+1.

What I do is I hit the Home key on my keyboard. That takes me right to the top.

Also, at the bottom of all threads and all sub-forums (Ladies Only, On Topic, etc.) there is another navigation area. For example, at the bottom of this thread (before the quick-reply box), I see:

Elliquiy Role Playing Forums »     Important Stuff »     HELP! (ask/report/suggest anything) »     Topic: Website Navigation update

Obviously, that's only useful if you're at the bottom of a forum subcategory or thread, but I find that between this navigation tree and the Home button, I really have all I need to navigate.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Vekseid

The only floating navigation we use is for guest registration nags and important server announcements.

Trieste

A significant amount of the browsing I do on E is while I'm on my phone and I'm of the opinion that the page is already quite crowded enough on the mobile version without another menu bar. >.>

Vekseid

I've been debating on whether or not an expandable/collapsible 'bar button' would be okay.

So it'd be a little box with

>>

That hovered around that you could tap/click on to get to a bunch of functions.

Trieste

On the mobile version?

Edit: Sorry, I blame the NyQuil. I just realized that the non-WEP mobile version is pretty much, you know, the site.

erm.

Moraline

Quote from: Vekseid on July 12, 2013, 09:16:37 PM
I've been debating on whether or not an expandable/collapsible 'bar button' would be okay.

So it'd be a little box with

>>

That hovered around that you could tap/click on to get to a bunch of functions.
I think that would be a nice clean way of doing it. Could even add the word "menu" or something if it was really needed.

It could even take the place of some of the other clutter on the pages. 

Have the word "Menu" >> that could expand to a floating bar for those that like it, or click it again to tuck it away.

Then remove this stuff (and all it's associated sub menu items.):
    Home
    Help
    Search
    My Messages
    My Bookmarks
    Calendar
    Members
    Logout

Trieste

I would mostly appreciate fewer clickable items scrunched together at the top of the page. Like, on my phone, when I try to click on "show new replies to your posts", I have clicked on: the staff link, the search button, 'click here for other ways to support E', the Twitter button, and (most annoyingly) wipe cookies. The most common misclick is on staff or search.

Would be nice if, at the very very least, the wipe all cookies button could be moved somewhere else. >.>

The menu layout is, by comparison, pretty easygoing.

Vekseid

I could put a confirmation dialog box on the wipe cookies button. Feel free to yell at me about its after server move. >_>

Ritsu

Or maybe another thing that you could do is have an up arrow similar to what Tumblr has on it's dash? That would avoid the need for another menu system to pop up in peoples ways, and the arrow could be transparent enough that it wasn't visually detracting...

Just a thought.