News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Valkyr, October 10, 2008, 01:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valkyr

I'm looking for a couple suggestions on the series I should start up next. 

I've seen
Trigun
Evangelion
Chunks or Ranma 1/2
Gurren Laggan
Blood+
Hellsing

I'm looking for something that has over the top action and a nice mixture of comedy and seriousness.
Ons and Offs

This was never my world, you took the Angel away....

Rhapsody

Ranma 1/2 is awesome for comedy.  As is Trigun.  Every time I see "Neo Genesis Evangelion", I can't help but think of that 2 rant I heard, wherein he referred to it as "Neon Jello Evangelist".  I don't know if that counts as comedy.

If you're looking for some really decent drama (with a side of incest and mythic backstory), I recommend Angel Sanctuary.  The complete story was in manga form, and only 3 OAVs were ever made, but it's still pretty decent storytelling. 

It's also where I snatched my avatar. :)
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Mathim

I liked the manga of Ranma 1/2 better, more sight gags and less room for filler so they force more jokes in.

But I really like Saiyuki, that's got to be one of the best action/comedy series out there; just the first series, though. The plot and stuff in Saiyuki Reload and Gunlock are just really crappy.

Yu Yu Hakusho is a lot of fun if you're into anti-heroes, they do some amazing fight scenes in there and it's hilarious to boot.

And Dragonball is a great one, before it turned into a mindless brawlfest in Dragonball Z.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Caeli

I really, really recommend Code Geass. :P It's very recent, and the character designs were done by CLAMP. It's a very unusual story, because the "protagonist" isn't a hero in the sense that you might think of one.

There's also a sequel series that's currently airing for it. The manga is also quite excellent.

Hmm... I've heard good things about X, though I've never watched it myself.

I also happen to adore Full Metal Panic and Full Metal Panic: Second Raid. The second is a sequel series to the first. It mixes together seriousness and comedy, and has lots of giant mechas and believable futuristic war stuff. :) Characters were hilarious.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

WyldRanger

Wolf's Rain = Greatest Anime Ever!    ;D

Mathim

You know what I've discovered is that Fullmetal Alchemist is totally overrated. People used to rave and sing praises to its name for the longest time and when I finally saw it I was like, "This is it? Whoop-de-frigging-do." But then, that happens a lot. Same thing with Cowboy Bebop; yes, it's well-written for the most part but it's also dark and there's lots of wasted time and convoluted plots throughout. I mean, it's the worst kind of sci-fi; the kind without well-defined rules. Yes, there's alien things that do impossible shit, but they don't do it often even though they could, making it virtually pointless to have done it at all when they could have easily given it some other explanation.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

HairyHeretic

Just anime, or would you be interested in manga / manwha as well?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Mathim

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 10, 2008, 06:05:04 PM
Just anime, or would you be interested in manga / manwha as well?

Things are going kinda slow in here, so why not? Besides, some manga are really kick-ass and just never get made into anime. Or the manga are really kick-ass and the anime versions suck donkey balls (Samurai Deeper Kyo.)

HairyHeretic

In anime, I'm rather partial to the original Dominion Tank Police, and Ushio and Tora (which the first time I ever came across it, it was described as 'Calvin and Hobbes on acid').

Manga, I like Johji Manabes work ... Outlanders, Drakunn, Caravan Kidd. Ranma and Urusei Yatsura are also good reads.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Rhapsody

Vision of Escaflowne. 
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Chris Brady

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Valkyr

Thanks all,  I've started Code Geass...  looks pretty good,  Thanks Caeli.
Ons and Offs

This was never my world, you took the Angel away....

Aiden

GTO- Great Teacher Onizuka

and FMA- Full Metal Alchemist

Nell

for what you're looking for, full metal panic most definitely seems to be the best choice

King_Furby

Nijuu-Mensou no Musume is very good. I also have started to watch a new series called Casshern SINS. never knew that you could make killing robots gore lol.

Code Geass is pretty good as well, though first season is better.

A good one you might like that recently wraped up. it's D Gray Man, it's like 73 episodes. it's about demons. very fun and has some cool characters.

Mathim

@ Aiden: Isn't GTO really super-long? There's tons of volumes of the manga at the store. Is it like Ranma 1/2 where it's mostly just filler or is there a mostly stable running plot throughout?

Chris Brady

Mathim, the problem with Ranma, and everything else she does, is that Takahashi Rumiko has no idea what she's going to do next.  She draws and writes with no end in mind.  It serves her well when she wants to keep a story going, but ending it...  Well...  Inu Yasha, Maison Ikkoku, Ranma, Uresai Yatsura (AKA Lum)...  That should be proof enough.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

King_Furby

Sucks when an anime just doesn't know when to end. But i still think its worse when there is a good anime that ends to soon.

Mathim

Well I thought of Ranma more like a newspaper comic strip, it's just supposed to keep going without needing to really further the plot. Like Calvin and Hobbes. That's why it's fun to read them over and over.

Oh, and if anyone hasn't read the Samurai Deeper Kyo manga, you are really missing out on something totally kick-ass.

Hunter

*digs into his list*

Let's see...
Bubblegum Crisis (the original had an excellent music score, the remake a decent plot)
Appleseed
Gundam.  The original Gundam (which was done in the ink and paper days)

Also try:
Martian Successor Nadesco
Sakura Wars

Mathim

Anyone see Trigun? I was really disappointed with that. It was supposed to be a sci-fi Western, I thought, which would have been an awesome combo. But no, it was more of a story about a guy than a sci-fi Western. Really a big letdown. And by the end, most of the struggle by the main character was all in vain, at least, that's how I felt. I really can't recommend seeing this one.

Gerald Tarrant

Code Geass and Deathnote

Both about geniuses and manipulators.

Truly wonderful anime's

Mathim

I'd have to argue about Death Note having geniuses. They both made a lot of dumb and presumptuous moves. Although I did enjoy the series, just not the ending; it felt cheap and anticlimactic and in the end, the wrong person ends up winning because the other was right all along; and they won for the wrong reasons anyway. I only read the manga though, I can't imagine the anime being any good. There'd be too much wasted time. Something more action-y would be better suited to be animated. Death Note was more of a drama, hardly any action at all.

White lace

Elfen Lied, I think it is the best anime ever created. Past all the violence and nudity, (which there is a lot of both), it has an incredible well written and sometimes emotional story. I would strongly recommend it to anyone.

Mathim

Has anyone here ever seen or heard of Desert Punk? That's a hilarious post-apocalyptic scenario and it's seriously the most perverted non-hentai anime ever created, I think. The main character's sole goal in life is to find large-breasted women and lose his virginity (he's like 15) and to wait for his little partner (she's like, 11 or 12) to grow up and get hot like her mom so he won't feel like a pedophile when he does her. And that's pretty much the plot, with his job as a bounty hunter/mercenary thrown in.