Gmail and Notify on E

Started by Nessy, August 10, 2009, 05:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessy

I am wondering if there is something unusual about the notification on E that breaks up the way gmail archives emails. I mean when I use Yahoo or any number of other message boards/lists systems, gmail is able to archive/branch them together fairly easily getting up to around 59/64 emails in a email thread before breaking it up (providing someone doesn't change the title), but on E 3-4 tops with maybe one that managed 19 posts. As far as I can tell, the subject is not changing. Is it becayse there is never a re: as a reply to?

I mean I know it unlikely anyone here knows exactly how gmail does it, but I thought I would see if anyone else notices this too, maybe with a different email provider?

Thank you.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Vekseid

I never paid much attention? While I still had them enabled Elliquiy's new user notifications would get to the 60's. I thought it was time based, though.

Nessy

Time based? As in how gmail groups e-mails together? I know gmail's isn't time based as I've had games off the board go for months even a couple of years and they stay together if my writing partner doesn't change the subject title.

Now if E is changing it (it being something I am not actually sure what it is) based on time, I guess I can see how that might confuse gmail. E doesn't ever seem to change the subject heading though it never sends a "reply" which i guess could also mess up gmail. It's not so much a complaint as it is a curiosity/annoyance as to why the two aren't behaving the way I would expect it to... aka, same subject topic = archive together.
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Neroon

I have my notifications come through to the gmail account I set up especially for the purpose.  I know that the gmail interface is adaptive and will learn from the what you do with specific messages.  For example, if you habitually delete your notifications, it can inadvertently trick the gmail AI into thinking that they are spam and therefore will zap them straight into the spam folder after a while.

The way I avoid this is by using Outlook to retrieve my gmail.  Thus I do nothing with the mail on google's servers and I therefore never inadvertently teach it to treat notifications as spam.

That's my best guess, anyway.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Well, I delete my notifications almost immediately, and they've never been moved to spam. I don't keep them long enough to get chains under one subject or another, though.

Vekseid

Quote from: Nessy on August 10, 2009, 05:39:42 PM
Time based? As in how gmail groups e-mails together? I know gmail's isn't time based as I've had games off the board go for months even a couple of years and they stay together if my writing partner doesn't change the subject title.

For notifications. Things you reply to are handled differently.

Nessy

Mmm, I see. Well I have plenty of space and they're real posts so I keep them like regular emails. By reply though I meant when you start a chain of emails, every time you reply to an email is different than when you start an email aka re: so I thought maybe since the notifications are never replies but look like new topics, maybe that's why gmail isn't able to group them together properly.
Misc. Long Term Ideas