Question about Torrent Files...

Started by Wolfy, July 31, 2010, 01:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

What do I need to play/open them? o-o...I found some..files I'd like to download, but..I'm new to the whole..torrent thing..o-o..

Oniya

As I understand it, torrents are more of a style of file-sharing (typically used for very large files), rather than a file type.  It might be compressed, it might be video, it might be music, it might be executable as-is.

What I generally recommend is to look at the three-letter extension on the file and do a Google search on that extension to see what the specific type of file is.  You'll usually find recommended viewers or extractors (if needed) during that same search.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Blitzy

Wolfy... The files you got, it's just the actual Torrent file not the item you want, right? You still need to actually download the files to get whatever it is you're looking for?
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

Host of Seraphim

You need to download a bittorrent client (I use utorrent) to open the files, and then the files will start downloading.
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Wolfy

Well..I downloaded Bittorrent straight from their website..and it's running right now.

I also looked up the .mkv file type, and got, well, basically this: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

Or this: http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/codec-pack/mkv

O-o...I'm not sure which to pick...D:

Host of Seraphim

You can also play .mkv files in VLC. VLC will play pretty much every video file evar without having to fiddle around with codecs or anything.

Wolfy

So..you'd recommend VLC, Sera? o3o...

Wolfy

Hmm..Can I ask for a good (And Safe! o3o) Torrent search site...or would that be stepping on the rules?...I'm not sure...o-o

Host of Seraphim

*nod* Yep! I've used it to watch every type of video file I've ever encountered without a problem. I had a problem watching a .mkv file once, but that was because the file was HUEG and it was on my old wimpy computer. Here's a list of all the formats it supports: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

Wolfy

Hmm..thanks Sera..I downloaded it..now I just have to wait for my file to finish to see if it works..o3o

Blitzy

*Shrugs lightly.*

I use Demonoid. Never had a problem. :) And Vuze as the torrent DLer.

Wolfy

Host of Seraphim

I wish I had a demonoid account.  :-( I usually just use The Pirate Bay.

Wolfy

Vuze seems more like...An  all in one package rather than a torrent search engine..o-o...Ya know? ..O-o..I'm so confused..o-o

Blitzy

Vuze is what I use to actually download/open the files from Demonoid, which is the torrent site. ;)

Wolfy

Ooh..ok..O_o...so demonoid is the search site..hmm..

Wolfy

Ook..I think I'm slowly starting to get it..O_o..also..the search sites really help out more if you know the name of what you want, hmm..xD

Trieste

While there are legitimate uses for torrents, they are also quite frequently used to steal media and whatnot. As such, we would appreciate it if you could take this discussion off-site.

Thank you.

Wolfy