[Kiss & Tell] On Writing

Started by Butterflykiss, September 30, 2009, 10:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butterflykiss

Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise.  The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.  ~Sylvia Plath

What to write about when one is writing? Let me start my writing by writing about writing.

Did you know Elliquiy has a Monthly Writing Contest?

I do. I won for the month of August.

What does it mean to win a monthly contest here on Elliquiy? For some, probably not much. But to me, it was an honor. Let me explain why.

We all came to E with expectations. We wanted something, were searching for something. I like to think that many of us who have stayed found what we were looking for, whether it was great games or engaging role play partners.

For me, it was all about the writing. Years of scrolling through other communities, other forums, always coming away disappointed. My search for quality had left me with nothing but a slew of vague story lines and half-formed characters who were but shadowy imitations of life.

Now this might be enough for some, but for me, the dissatisfaction only grew.

It was simple: I wasn’t finding what I was looking for.

All that changed when I found Elliquiy. Here at last, the quality of writing not only matched but, in many cases, exceeded my own. So many of Elliquiy’s members pride themselves on what they write, and rightly so! Even those who write short pieces write with such enjoyment, always looking forward to the “what happens next.”

I remember first finding the board containing the contest. I was excited and intimidated all at once. Here, then, a chance to test my mettle against some truly prolific writers! No game at stake this time, no partner to dance with. Instead, story against story in a friendly competition where the only prizes are a place in the Hall of Fame and the knowledge that you were chosen from amongst such great talents.

What are you waiting for? Get in there, read what others have to write, and write the words that only you have to say. Be it little or long, silly or serious, romantic or racy. I know you love to write, and I know you love to read great writings.

It’s why you’re on Elliquiy, isn’t it?

Isn’t that one of the things you were looking for?

I’m happy to tell you: you’ve found it.

Salomé

QuoteFor me, it was all about the writing. Years of scrolling through other communities, other forums, always coming away disappointed. My search for quality had left me with nothing but a slew of vague story lines and half-formed characters who were but shadowy imitations of life.

I know exactly what you mean.
And thank you for telling me about the writing contest.(Although you weren't merely addressing me, hehe). I don't know if I'll be able to enter for this month, but I'm glad there's such a community within Elliquiy. :-)

•about•
The Earth's a cake full of sweetness;
I can (and then there'd be no end to your pleasure!)
Give you an appetite of equal size.
-The Voice

Apologies for my slow responses! Please feel free to give me a kick over PM if necessary.

Butterflykiss

I encourage you to do so~ I always find themed writing to be fun and engaging.

Good luck with your writing~

MasterMischief

This is where I pretend I do not have a fear of success, right?   ;D