News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

MBTI Personality Types

Started by Question Mark, October 27, 2012, 02:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Question Mark

Take the test, find out your personality type!

I discovered the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator a year or so ago.  It's helped me grow as a person and better understand myself as an individual.  Learning about the various types and analyzing my own (INTP) has become a huge hobby of mine.  It's scary how much insight this test can give you into your own head!

Some potential discussion topics:
-Share your results!  For bonus points, spoiler your result and encourage other people to guess!
-Discuss the validity of the test.  Is it accurate?  Reliable?  Foolproof?  Does your result make sense¿
-What interesting things have you learned about yourself via MBTI?
-Share resources and websites that are relevant

James Moriarty

I really like the idea of people guessing each other's results!  Though in that case, it would require a group of people who more or less know each other to join in the fun.  Hm.

I've taken this test and its ilk many times over the past decade.  I almost always end up in one of two buckets.  I won't reveal which in case we do a guessing game >:)

JM

Starlequin

You're an INTJ, aren't you? ;)
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Will

There are quite a few INTJs on E, judging by some of the past threads on the subject.  Kind of surprising, given that they're only supposed to make a very small percentage of the general population.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Moraline

E is a specialty website so it naturally attracts certain personality types. Not to mention applicants are filtered/screened by those same personality types.

It's a bit like going into a store that sells instruments and being surprised that their are so many musicians and wannabe musicians.

James Moriarty

I agree with Moraline -- I imagine that while INTJs are not highly represented (they are least represented, tied with INFPs), they are drawn to places where they thrive.  Thus, Elliquiy is not a sufficiently random sample, and will skew towards certain types.

And it's funny.  Today I came out as INFP -- normally in the past, I did come out as borderline INTJ.  So it goes back and forth a bit, depending.

Will

Quote from: Moraline on October 27, 2012, 06:26:34 PM
E is a specialty website so it naturally attracts certain personality types. Not to mention applicants are filtered/screened by those same personality types.

It's a bit like going into a store that sells instruments and being surprised that their are so many musicians and wannabe musicians.

Well, it's not exactly like that, because E doesn't advertise specifically for INTJs.  It makes sense that specific personality types would be drawn to a community that caters to specific interests; I just found it interesting that INTJs, specifically, were part of that demographic.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Missy

You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
    You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)
    You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (1%)
    You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)

so ISFP?

Starlequin

I think if you have a preference for the first in each set (however marginal), that would indicate you as (borderline) INTJ, MC. Welcome to the club, your blazer is in the mail. :P
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Missy

Oh I was reading it wrong, INTJ is right

Merah

Fenrisulfr

Another INTJ here.

I'm not that surprised of the over representation of INTx here at E. considering we generally won't bother by the molds, pattern and boxes of the rest of the polulation; forum based discussions and interaction is generally fit our preferred way of communicating; usually have a "rich inner world" so a place to write stories sounds perfect...

Probably a few other good reasons why a place like E. draws quite a few of us here.

Oreo

Normally I get an INFJ result, but this time it came up ISFJ. However, my score on the Intuitive versus Sensing last time was 58%. Close to borderline.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Tamhansen

INTJ all the way. But as said, it's kind of a birds of a feather thing.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Trieste

When I took it in 2008, I got ENTJ (1/75/12/78). Out of sheer curiosity, I took it again and got ENFJ (11/38/38/78). I'm just sort of bombing around right now... I might try taking it again after I've just written a highly analytical paper or put together a bunch of statistics and see if the F flips back to T.

Heh. Mr. Trieste is ESFJ (11/50/75/56). And he does not like this test. ::)

Inari

INFJ

Introvert(50%)  iNtuitive(25%)  iNtuitive  Feeling(50%)  Judging(17%)

You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (50%)
You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)
You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (50%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (17%)

:o

Merah

I've always been an INTJ in the past... however, I was also always conflicted/depressed/unhappy in the past. In the past couple years, a lot has changed for me. Today the test shows me as a clear INTP, and I must say, I'm much happier this way! I think I grew up internalizing a lot of the Judging-type values as superior, and it took me a while to realize that I'm happier being more Perceiving.

So much for my coveted membership in the INTJ club. Damn, Mastermind sounded so much cooler than Architect!

Question Mark

Quote from: Merah on October 28, 2012, 06:43:48 PM
I've always been an INTJ in the past... however, I was also always conflicted/depressed/unhappy in the past. In the past couple years, a lot has changed for me. Today the test shows me as a clear INTP, and I must say, I'm much happier this way! I think I grew up internalizing a lot of the Judging-type values as superior, and it took me a while to realize that I'm happier being more Perceiving.

So much for my coveted membership in the INTJ club. Damn, Mastermind sounded so much cooler than Architect!

The INTP is also known as the Thinker and the Eccentric Genius.  We're a very small club (1% of population), but we only accept the best.  :)

Kuroneko

INFP here, with ISFP a close second.  Not surprising, as I'm an artist ;).
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Oniya

I was tested by an actual psych-doctor, and they determined I was INFP  I'm probably close on the E/I scale, and I do show a lot more E tendencies online, but offline I'm fairly solidly I.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

I took this test when I was 20 - I remember that I turned out to be an INFP. Which seemed to be accurate at that time. Today, I turned out to be a ISFJ... and the description seems accurate, too.

I guess it's because I grew to be a little more conservative in these last few years...

EDIT: An interesting fact about ISFJs (according to http://www.personalitydesk.com/isfj) - there are much more female ISFJs than male ISFJs. I *knew* I should've been born a woman!  >:(

Moraline

I forgot to post my results earlier but I was, INTJ as well.

I don't really trust tests like this. They give people a false sense of personality. I asked someone about it they said they are unreliable at best and are only used as part of a larger over all analysis to get a clearer picture of a person's personality type.

Simple questionnaires like that are the kind of thing used for self evaluations and grad students to use to draft up rough statistical analysis with wide margins of error.

Your own personal view of the world around you at any given moment is tainted by current life events and emotions. It causes you to judge certain situations in differing ways.

It's exactly like asking a person if they are "ever late for appointments or meeting friends," and they say to you "I'm never late."

Meanwhile, everyone in that persons circle of friends knows that it's not true. They see that person be late all the time. 

The issue is that the person that was asked doesn't perceive themselves as being late and feels that it only happens to them "once in a long while." 

That same person when asked a year later may be at a different point in their life and agree that "yes, they are often late because of various things." Etc...

Self perception is far to often tainted for reliable self-analysis. You might be better off, if you filled out that questionnaire and had a friend help you answer some of the questions on yourself. This would help people to see how others view what your doing. It might bring about a much broader sense of self awareness and clearer picture of your own personality.

Oniya

With the professional questionnaire, there are a lot of 'repeat' questions, phrased in a different manner, to factor in that sort of thing.  For example, someone might react differently to 'I'm never late' and 'I'm always on time' even though the statement is logically equivalent.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ExisD

Two years ago I took the professional test courtesy of my college.

The results I received were a dominant and very distinct E and an auxiliary, also very distinct, T. S/N was very close though P was also very distinct.

In the end I was ENTP and I felt that this was an accurate assessment given my understanding of the types.

While not always accurate the test did make a lot of group work significantly easier since everyone knew their type. We used it to easily explain our preferences in regards to brainstorming, group dynamics, and information gathering in ways that everyone understood.

I think, at least for the purposes of what I've used the types for, the E-I spectrum wound up being the most important because it most directly related to how someone tends to gain their energy and deal with their social interactions. The knowledge made sure that I didn't run roughshod over my friends while they were busy formulating thoughts and still processing information. At the same time it also let them understand that when I'm randomly spewing out ideas not all of them are serious, but I made decisions most easily by bouncing them off of other people no matter how inane they are.

TheGlyphstone

Got ISTJ here, so I guess I'm a maverick among E-ers.

78%, 25%, 38%, 11%.