Sword Art Redux (Seeking F Characters for Group Balance)

Started by Daril, July 13, 2013, 10:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daril

Edit: Since the details of this game have largely been worked out, I'm reworking this first post into a general info post.

Details

This is a Sword Art Online RPG set during the Aincrad arc.  The GM for this game will be Pendarious.

The game will start on Floor 1 with Kayaba's announcement.  Players will be given a brief window to post their reaction to this, then the game will skip to Floor 2 (where the characters will be at level 10-14).  Presuming the game goes on long term there will be occasional time skips to higher floors.

Interested players should submit a character sheet for their character as they are at the very beginning of the game. Here is a sample starting profile based on a character created by Pendarious.

Quote from: Pendarious

Player (Real world identity): Yuuya Saitou

Screen Name: Kenjirou (Kenji for short)

Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Personality: Kenjirou is to put it bluntly a cynical yet goofy person. He seems laid back and easy going with a love of teasing people and flirting with girls though he often goes a bit too far in terms of teasing (though he's always careful with physical contact to avoid setting off the harassment alarm) once he enters battle though he is well more serious than usual.

Floor 1:

Level: 1

HP: 1000

Equipment:

Iron Battle Axe

Cotton shirt
Cotton pants
Leather boots
Fingerless leather gloves

Skills:

Two Handed Battle Axe: 0/1000

Sword Skills:

Slant
Vertical
Horizontal
Uppercut

Players may find the following links useful for developing their characters.

http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Skills

http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_Skills

Please note that Unique Skills are off limits and that Special Skills (like Katana) will not become available until Level 2 at the earliest.

Current Players and Characters

Pendarious -Yuuya Saitou/Kenjiro (male axe wielder)
Jebble212 -Ken Sugisaki/Herald (male polearm fighter)
Daril -Hiroko Tsukino/Robin (female archer)
Zergmuncher -Daniel Artkiser/Theondithas Shieldhart (male swordsman)

Vaulera

I loved my last sword art online roleplay, would love to do another one! I would probably play a bruiser type character, with some comedy tossed in for good measure. No one too serious, despite the nature of SAO

apygoos

ID love to do an SAO RP, i cant remember if youguys were inteh one that i was in that fell silent. we made the opening setting floor 50, heh

Daril

The SAO roleplay I got involved in started on Floor Eight I think, so the one you were involved in must have been a different one.  I think Vaulera was involved in the one I was in though.

Quote from: Vaulera on July 14, 2013, 02:46:15 AM
I loved my last sword art online roleplay, would love to do another one! I would probably play a bruiser type character, with some comedy tossed in for good measure. No one too serious, despite the nature of SAO

A bit of comedy wouldn't be a bad thing.

pendarious

*chuckles* I remember that game. I'm game for trying again. I'll just revive my previous character because he was a lot of fun to play. He was mostly there for comic relief.
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Daril

Good to have you aboard, Pendarious.  ;)

One thing we'll need to consider if we get a mix of people from both the previous games is what sort of character sheet to use.   Maybe we should work that part out while we wait to see if anyone else expresses interest?  (Should we give it til the end of the week maybe, then try to launch on the weekend or next week?)

evangel

I'm down. No clue who I'd use yet, but I can figure that out later.

Daril

This seems to be attracting a lot of the same people as the first game.  ;D

Anyway, a few more questions to consider.  First of all, how do we want to start things off?  Do we want to start with a boss raid like in Sabre's game, or try something different this time?  And who's going to be the GM?  I suppose as the guy who suggested this I should be prepared to step up and fill that role myself, but I'd prefer to give it to someone who is more confident in their GMing abilities if at all possible.

I'm also wondering if a separate OOC thread would be a better place to discuss these issues than this thread, since what I'm getting here is primarily expressions of interest.  (Which is one of the things I'd been looking for, but I'd also originally intended for this to be a discussion thread as well.)

apygoos

well i for one definitely think that we should be on a higher floor, better gear and established profession, etc.

pendarious

well Daril if you don't want to Gm I suppose I could....as for what floor we'd start on if I were GM well it would probably be somewhere around floor 22-25 because floor 22 is beautiful...and floor 25 because well the light novel explicitly states that this is the floor they first encountered a boss that was so difficult that the raid party took heavy casualties....and that could be a bunch of fun to work with since I'm a bit of a sadist on the inside.....
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?

apygoos

i remember the RP we had going started on floor 50, all our characters between level 70 and 80

pendarious

we could start there too if you guys preferred *shrugs*

Daril

apygoos would like a high floor for the better stats and gear, I'd like to do a low floor so that its easy to explain why we have a bunch of characters who aren't in any guilds and haven't met before (I didn't particularly like some of the backstory I had for my character and why she was without a guild last time).  Maybe we should see what the others have to say?

Charlemagne

In order to address both of those opinions, you could stick with the high level plan, but, just like Kirito, you could have the characters all be solo players. Thus, they only know a little bit about each other thanks to boss meetings.

Or.

They belong to different guilds, and just like if they were solo players, they all knew each other from brief meetings before boss fights.

Or.

People can PM each other with sub plots, stating whether or not their characters know each other or not, and then you can already have a few relationships/friendships made up before the game even starts.

I dunno. That's my two cents.

Tydorei

I'm interested... and my two cents would be to start low as well. I would like roleplay the feeling of still coming to grips that your stuck in a video game... and you can die in it. If start at higher lvl's that that role play is already gone. Also your role and job and whatever would be settled, we would be playing people who know what they're doing... less to role play in my opinion. Also, making a big collaborative backstory would be harder in my opinion. (All other alternatives like everyone being solo players till high lvls is weird. Why party now after being a loner for so long. It would also 'trap' or personality to a few types.)

I say we start out low lvl. And then we can time jump a few lvls at a time. just like the show does.

pendarious

Alright hmm........how about this:

We'll have a few rounds of posts early where everyone is getting used to being stuck in Aincrad and getting to know each other then after that I pick some random times and floors to jump that way we can get the "Shock" factor Role Play out of the way but still quickly move along to the higher levels after all I think Tydorei has a few good points. If you guys are fine with that then cool if not let's hear your feedback eh?

Daril

Quote from: Tydorei on July 19, 2013, 11:46:37 PM
I'm interested... and my two cents would be to start low as well. I would like roleplay the feeling of still coming to grips that your stuck in a video game... and you can die in it. If start at higher lvl's that that role play is already gone. Also your role and job and whatever would be settled, we would be playing people who know what they're doing... less to role play in my opinion. Also, making a big collaborative backstory would be harder in my opinion. (All other alternatives like everyone being solo players till high lvls is weird. Why party now after being a loner for so long. It would also 'trap' or personality to a few types.)

I say we start out low lvl. And then we can time jump a few lvls at a time. just like the show does.

I kind of like this idea, though I'm wondering just how low level you intend to start.  I'd been thinking of maybe level four to five or so, but you sound kind of like you might want to do something even earlier than that.

Quote from: pendarious on July 20, 2013, 06:42:18 AM
Alright hmm........how about this:

We'll have a few rounds of posts early where everyone is getting used to being stuck in Aincrad and getting to know each other then after that I pick some random times and floors to jump that way we can get the "Shock" factor Role Play out of the way but still quickly move along to the higher levels after all I think Tydorei has a few good points. If you guys are fine with that then cool if not let's hear your feedback eh?

I wouldn't want to climb too quickly because I think that would lead to a lot of missed opportunity on the lower levels.  Though then again if we do a slow level climb we may never get to the high levels that apygoos wants to play at...

I'm actually thinking it might be a good idea to send everyone who is on board with this so far a PM asking where and how they'd like to start (as well as anything else we need to clarify in order to get the ball rolling).  With a group this large we're more likely to get these issues sorted out in a timely fashion if we prompt people.

Daril

Something to add here: although I personally prefer lower level RPs, we'll need to give some thought to how our characters will get together if we do one.  If we're still on the really early levels where everyone is still coming to terms with being in a death game maybe we should pass on starting off with a boss fight.  If that's the case, maybe it would be easiest to form a few small groups which run into each other later instead of trying to arrange for everyone to meet in one place?

Daril

I'm going to take a few minutes here to respond to my own survey (if you're signed up for this you should have gotten the survey via PM).

1) What level or general range of levels do you think the game should start at? I generally favor playing at low levels with a slow level climb.  I was thinking of starting at around level three to five or so, but Tydorei's suggestion has me thinking it could be interesting to start right at the beginning when everyone has just found out they're trapped in a death game.
2) How do you think the characters should meet? It would take a little pre-planning, but I'm in favor of having a few separate meetings of individual characters, who might later be able to link up to form a larger group or groups.
3) What kind of character do you intend to play? I intend to play a girl who tries to adapt her skills as a former high school archery champion to the world of SAO (with some initial difficulty since SAO combat is a lot more fluid than an archery competition).
4) What are your content preferences? With this character, probably f/f and fairly light.  I don't expect those to necessarily be what the group as a whole goes with though.

There isn't a heck of a lot that's new there, but I figured it would be good to post an example.  Besides this reiterates some stuff that was previously scattered through the thread, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

apygoos

1) I'm generally fine with any level, whatever the level though i feel if we start at a low level, the focus of teh RP will be more social than combat, which is perfectly fine.
2)it would be pretty neat if the group started off in separate pairs and whatnot and eventually met up and formed one big guild
3)I plan to play a male who was in the beta [which will only really matter if we start at low levels]. his advance class would be in dual wielding [sword and axe]. He will happily help people choose combat and profession roles to whatever seems like most fun for them. He would insist that despite their being trapped, they still need to have fun, and live, and since those abilities and professions become your life in the world, its important to make those first few choices wisely.
4) m/f mostly for this character, I enjoy smut, but some story and character development with it is best. any bondage involved on the smut side of things should be consensual. I enjoy combat scenes, as long as they're not all over the place. the fights that take place should mean something.

Tydorei

1) What level or general range of levels do you think the game should start at?  (There's been some discussion on the pros and cons of various starting points in the thread.)

Anywhere between 2-8. 2

2) How do you think the characters should meet? (Tavern?  Boss raid?  Meet as small groups initially then link up into a larger group later?)

I know i want my character to at least know one of the players 'In Real World". hence partying with them from start. Meeting the others can be anything really.

3) What kind of character do you intend to play?

My character will kind of be the opposite of apy's. Being frustrated that she's stuck in a game and can't continue her 'Real Life' unless she 'beats' the game to free herself from this 'Fake' world. More than a bit mad.

4) What are your content preferences? (M/f? F/f? Light? NC?)

Yum to all, if my character can ever get in the mood. heh heh.

evangel

1) What level or general range of levels do you think the game should start at?
I'm down for starting at the nigh-beginning at first, and then jumping after a set amount of time or after doing a few quests just like the show. Keeps things fresh instead of being bogged down.

2) How do you think the characters should meet?
Link up everything right away by putting everyone in a quest. If it's too isolated then it may slow down.

3) What kind of character do you intend to play?
I don't know yet. I've been playing lumbering brutes in recent RPGs revolving around RPGs for a change of pace, but I think it's become my current pace. Probably become a powerhouse tank again!

4) What are your content preferences?
NC.

pendarious

ok so it seems we have a general sense of "I don't Care" or "Low Level" for the beginning.....so here is what I'm looking at then

we will start with Akahiko Kayaba announcing the death game and we will play a few rounds (each of us posts a few times) to react to the announcement. Characters will start individually or in pairs depending on each players choice fighting their way to the tower for the first boss. After the first boss is defeated we will skip up to about floor 8-9 and progressively skip at small but random intervals that way so that we are never stuck in one place for too long but we don't waste too much of the potential that each floor has for an adventure.

how does that sound to you guys?

also Apygoos I have to more or less say you need to change your plans for your character because Dual Wielding can only be held by ONE person period as explained by Kayaba himself on floor 75 of AINCRAD. I know this is an RP and we have a bunch of creative licensing at our disposal because of this but we are still playing in a world that has some clearly established rules and as such I can't allow Dual wielding for anyone unless we are playing mostly outside of cannon (Meaning that this is an AU where the main cast of SAO does not exist)  and even then we would have to come up with a fair way to decide who got Dual wielding.

apygoos

he'd probably have 2 different styles then, sword and shield, and greatsword

Daril

I'm not sure there's a lot of point in doing the first floor boss fight as it was covered on screen.  Kayaba's announcement might be useful as a way of getting the ball rolling though.  It'll give people a chance to get into the game even as they continue to work out the details (particularly which characters are going to party with which other characters).  Or we could just start on level 2.  At any rate, I think it would be good to get a play thread going, as well as an OOC thread and a Character thread.

As for first meetings, anyone interested in pairing their character up with the newly revised Robin/Hiroko?  Like last time I'm planning for her to end up in a compromising position during her first meeting with her new companion(s).  Given that the game's just started its easy to imagine that she doesn't know about clothing durability stats and therefore has her worn out outfit disintegrate on her in the middle of a battle. ;D Or maybe she decided to test what swimming in game was like and let her guard down.  (While she's a good archer and definitely not stupid, I intend to play my character as a bit of an inadvertent miss fan service.)

zergmuncher

I'm a huge SAO fan and I would love to see this get going. Heck I even want in. What do you need from me?

pendarious

well Daril....covering the  1st floor boss fight....well we don't exactly have to do that but I figured we include it just for the pure hell of it.

and Zerg all ya gotta do is come up with a character and as long as you don't try to have dual wielding things should be good to go....of course since we are starting on like floor 1 and jumping around a bit you'll just have to go with the flow I guess *shrugs*

Daril

You're the boss now, so you have final say over what does and doesn't get included.  I just think we should leave it out since the TV series already covered it, so its pretty much a predetermined outcome unless we deviate from canon.

On another note, I'm wondering if I may need to give m/f relationship for Robin/Hiroko a bit of a chance.  I'm more comfortable playing her as a lesbian but I don't know that'll work overly well when there are four male characters and only two other girls.  Though then again I doubt she'd be getting very intimately involved with anyone right off the bat, so maybe I don't need to worry too much about that at this point.  Though on the other hand I really do want to put her in a compromising situation during her first meeting with another character...

Vaulera

Okay, sorry I haven't been terribly active recently, but I'm currently on vacation to a tropical island with my whole extended family. There's like 22 of us and I'm the oldest of the second generation, so a lot of organizational duties have fallen to me.

1) I would like to start at a mid-ranging level, purely because I don't like roleplaying people as terrified, and I feel like no matter how witty or cynical, a character would feel fear at the earliest levels.

2) World event. As someone who has played lots of MMOs, the best ways to involve vast number of people, all working to complete someone is either a raid boss or a world event, and the latter may be too complicated right off the bat.

3) My kind of character is going to be either the completely cold and methodical, or the cackling, eccentric and near mad, mixed in with comedy either by way of being the Straight guy or the goof ball in the act.

4) Oh lord, my preferences. I like the rough stuff, and the kinky and extreme, when put into a small sentence. However, for a roleplay like this, I usually go down to rough consensual, safe to put on NC.

Jebble212

I'm interested in joining this as well. Do you guys have an OOC thread up yet or a character sheet?

zergmuncher

Is there a character sheet I could use? I'm ready to go.

pendarious

I'll have the character sheet and OOC up sometime this evening.....I've still got to sort out in my mind what sort of sheet role with.....something like the sheets in the last SAO game I was part of or....something entirely different.

EDIT: The OOC thread now exists

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180751.0

Secondary Edit: ok before i make the character sheets I'm going to ask you guys a question.  Question being Would you rather make sheets with stats and edit them every so many floors or  sheets that don't have stats? of course it would be a free form game the stats would be used as a sort of reference so that we can keep track of what your characters are working and such.

apygoos

Vaulera

Stats as a sort of guideline would be nice, make it a 7 or 8 stat spread, so it's easy to manage having different character formulas and such.

Daril

Mixed feelings on the stats -on one hand I think we ought to have them since they're a big deal in canon, on the other hand I don't want to worry too much about figuring out what they should be for my character.

A couple suggestions: Vaulera doesn't really want to do the bit with Kayaba's announcement, but she's also rather busy right now, so why don't we start that part right now and get it out of the way quickly.  Starting that way will also give people a way to start to get involved (and hopefully generate a degree of commitment) even as they continue to work out additional details.

Also, since we have a lot of players we have the ability to start a lot of threads.  So why don't we start a new thread each time we do a level skip?  That way we can also move forward while giving those who are a bit behind a chance to tie up loose ends (just as long as they're careful not to do anything that would contradict later events).

Lastly if its okay with you Pendarious I'm going to add a note about "seeking female characters" to the thread title.  Granted with this being a more action oriented RPG perhaps gender balance doesn't matter as much as it otherwise might, but it would still be nice if the balance was a bit better than it currently is.

Vaulera

Hmmm. I think I could get behind that. Organizing a bunch of teenagers is difficult, especially considering I haven't gotten much further than that. I agree, figuring out stats could be a pain, but we should do a pretty simple 1-5 value, with a fixed spread of numbers, and then it's simple, just assign in the order you think suits your characters style. Seeking female characters would be good, if two are lesbian. I like sex in roleplays and all, but I tend to affix myself to one in a group roleplay.

apygoos

i agree about balance , especially since apparently theres a couple lesbians.

Daril

While my preference if to play Hiroko as a lesbian, I'm considering changing that due to the gender imbalance.  Even if I do that it's still five boys to three girls though, so yeah... it would definitely be good to get a couple more female characters if its possible.

pendarious

eh since I'll be GM-ing my character will only appear on occasion probably...but as for how stats will work...I'm going to do extensive research and actually set up the stat sheet like the real SAO stats....which aren't that complicated anyway.

Edit: ok so the character sheets are incredibly easy to keep track of in fact the only real stats are your level, HP, and skill mastery

Daril

It would still be nice to have more than three female characters total though, even if its not necessarily critical.

Any thoughts on the idea of starting a new thread each time we do a level skip?  I think it would be a good idea (and its not like we need to skimp on threads a lot with this many players involved).

pendarious

While I do agree that it would be nice to have more females (even if it's just characters not necassarily players) I don't see it as an overly critical issue. In fact if players think they can handle it you all can have at least two characters each.

Ok here is what my character sheet looks like:

Player (Real world identity): Yuuya Saitou

Screen Name: Kenjirou (Kenji for short)

Appearance:

Personality: Kenjirou is to put it bluntly a cynical yet goofy person. He seems laid back and easy going with a love of teasing people and flirting with girls though he often goes a bit too far in terms of teasing (though he's always careful with physical contact to avoid setting off the harassment alarm) once he enters battle though he is well more serious than usual.

Floor 1:

Equipment:

Iron Battle Axe

Cotton shirt
Cotton pants
Leather boots
Fingerless leather gloves

Skills:

Two Handed Battle Axe: 0/1000

Sword Skills:

Slant
Vertical
Horizontal
Uppercut

Ok I figure we'll start out with a simple set up like this and then every time the characters do quests, beat mobs, or beat bosses you'll add what you got to your character sheets. Whenever you gain a level you'll get 100 hp (or several hundred in the case of gaining multiple levels for entire floor jumps) and I'll randomly give you items out of the drops or you can buy items at shops just like actual MMO's of course I'll edit mine at random since Kenjirou will be more of an NPC than an actual character I find it easier to manage a game when I'm not actually running a full time character.

also after  we  get to a higher floor and Vaulera joins us full time we'll help her calculate her stuff to keep her up with everyone else.

Links to help with picking skills and sword skills (Extra skills are off limits until the second floor and Unique Skills are off limits period)

http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Skills

http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_Skills

Daril

Cool, I might try to do up a second character later on once things have gotten going.

I can try to do up a Level One profile for Robin/Hiroko, but are we actually planning to do much on level one?  I was thinking we were going to do a few posts for people's reactions to Kayaba's announcement then quickly skip to level two.

Since katana is considered an extra skill, are we going to considering Yumi an extra skill as well?  And if so what would be the prerequisite -longbows or recurves (Yumis are a kind of recurve, albeit oddly shaped ones, but they're also big)?  (Ideally I'd like to get Robin/Hiroko using a Yumi early, since I feel the more time she has to get used to other styles of bows the less reason she has to go back to a traditional Japanese style bow.  But as noted, katana is considered an extra skill, so it kind of seems like a Yumi ought to be as well.)

pendarious

well yes we are just doing a few posts for the reactions to Kayaba's speech and then skipping up to the second floor I just used Level 1 on my character here as an example though I'll be very quickly updating it.

as for Yumi yes that would be an extra skill with a mastery of Recurve bows to achieve.

Daril

Right.  Now just to clarify: you say no extra skills before level two.  Does that mean she can use a Yumi when she first appears in level two (I'd generally assumed we'd start sometime after people had started exploring the level) or would she need to pick up the skill during gamplay there (at the earliest)?

I know I'm focusing a bit heavily on this particular issue, but I do have reasons for wanting her to use a Yumi early on if at all possible* so I just want to make sure I've thoroughly clarified whether or not that's possible.

*Those reasons amount to it suiting her character, since she's a bit traditionally Japanese and has worked as a miko in real life (extra fetish fuel, yay), plus she's terrible at close up fighting and I think her struggling to put up a decent fight with some little dagger while trying to keep the gigantic seven foot tall bow she's holding in her other hand out of the way would really drive that home.  ;)

pendarious

I mean she'd have to pick up the skill in game play on the second floor.

Daril

Edit: Had a profile for Robin here.  After some revision I decided to just post a Floor One profile to this thread and post her Floor Two profile to the Character Thread after it's up.  The Floor One profile can be found on the next page.

pendarious

ok since we will do a few posts in response to Kayaba and then skip to floor 2 then your Level will actually be somewhere between 10-14 so you'll have something like 1500-1900 HP as for non combat skills you'd have at least one or two maybe three.

as for history I decided not to include a section for that so as to add a feel of mystery to each character that the players can reveal at their leasure.

Jebble212

Player (Real world identity): Ken Sugisaki

Screen Name: Herald

IRL Appearance:

Game Character Appearance:

Personality: Herald is greedy to say the least, his interests are rare items and Col. He gets along well with most players he encounters yet avoids close relationships. His self-confidence is dependent on those around him. He draws happiness from making others laugh even at his own expense. Herald struggles to stay with any one group for any extended period of time due to his fear of loss and despairing nature. The only thing herald cares more about the monetary gain is life, even that of strangers.

Floor 1:

Equipment:

Iron Naginata

Gray V-neck shirt
Black Cotton pants
Brown Leather boots
Brown leather gloves

Skills:

Two-handed Assault Spear: 0/1000

Sword Skills:

Slant
Vertical
Horizontal
Uppercut

Daril

Is level 10-14 not a bit high for only the second floor?  I don't think anyone got over level 100 despite getting up to floor seventy five.  Or are we assuming levels go up a lot more slowly later in the game?

Also wonder if that three hit combo attack is too OP for a character at this level given what I've been reading up on with regards to Sword Skills.

pendarious

no level 10 was said to be the minimum requirement to even stand against the 1st floor's boss's ads (Minions) so 10-14 is about right for the second floor.

Daril

All right.

Mind if I ask for a bit of advice on stats and skills for her Floor 2 character?  Or do you want me to forget the Floor two thing for now and just do up an entry level char sheet for now?

pendarious

well what skills you go for is entirely up to you. Though I would advise picking skills that seem like they would go with whatever kind of character you intend to build her into.

Daril

Profile for Robin/Hiroko

Player (Real World Identity): Hiroko Tsukino

Screen Name: Robin

IRL Appearance: This is about as close as I could get for something for the "real" Hiroko.  She should have a beauty mark on the left side of her face just below her mouth.  And yes, the real Hiroko is a shrine maiden (part time).

Avatar Appearance: Pretty much like this.  Minus that dragon thing.

Personality: Hiroko can seem a little meek and shy at times, as she is very polite and somewhat on the quiet side.  She shows a more cheerful side to those who get to know her however.  She has an impressive capacity for focus that has aided her a great deal in archery competitions, but has a bad habit of letting her guard down that sometimes gets her into troublesome or embarrassing situations in the world of SAO.

Floor 1

Equipment:

Small Recurve
-Bodkin Arrows
Small Sword

Skills:

Recurve Bow 0/1000
Straight Sword 0/1000

Sword Skills

Recurve Bow

Shaft -Basic shooting attack (1 hit).

Straight Sword

Horizontal Basic horizontal slashing attack (1 hit).
Vertical Basic vertical slashing attack (1 hit).
Slant Basic diagonal slashing attack (1 hit).
Thrust Basic thrusting attack (1 hit).

pendarious

ok if everyone would be kind enough to move their sheets over to the OOC thread i'd appreciate it.

I'm possibly going to be going over to a buddies house today and won't be home tonight so we'll start tomorrow when I get home.

Daril

Got my character's profile over.

Still think we should have separate OOC and character threads though.  And since the only responses to the OOC thread are character profiles it seems to me that would be really easy to accomplish -you'd just need to edit the OOC thread title and first post to turn it into the character thread then start a new OOC thread to replace it.

evangel

Sorry guys, I'm gonna be dropping out of this one!

pendarious

Daril

Pendarious is going to try to start the game this weekend.  We're still a little short on confirmed players though, especially for female characters.  So if you're interested in joining just do up a character profile and post it here (you can use the character profile in the newly revised first post of the thread as a template).

Here's a list of the current confirmed players and their characters:

Current Players and Characters

Pendarious -Yuuya Saitou/Kenjiro (male axe wielder)
Jebble212 -Ken Sugisaki/Herald (male polearm fighter)
Daril -Hiroko Tsukino/Robin (female archer)
Zergmuncher -awaiting profile

apygoos

that seems fun, when ever i get around to a character sheet
/has been really busy.

pendarious

Alright everyone who is still in this thing I apologize for the long wait but I have finally gotten off my lazy ass and got the game thread up.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=181635.msg8695389#new

Daril

Just got back from a three day excursion, but I'll try to get something up either tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Silk

Somewhat interested but I haven't seen the Anime as of yet. But I know the premise.

apygoos

Quote from: Silk on August 07, 2013, 07:03:01 PM
Somewhat interested but I haven't seen the Anime as of yet. But I know the premise.
you need to, so your life may be complete

Daril

Since this game is set in Aincrad you really only need to see about the first half of the series.  Heck considering how early in the game we're starting you could probably get by with seeing just the first few episodes.

apygoos

AribethAmkiir

Seen the first few episodes and I'd like to get involved in this.  Are you still looking for characters/players?

Daril

Yeah, we're still looking for characters, particularly female ones.  We've got four confirmed characters total (if you include the GM's character who may not show up much) and only one of them is a girl.

Silk

I'll write up a character and just learn as I go if thats ok

pendarious

Silk

Considering a throwing knife adept/dagger fighter. But there isn't much information about the skills

Silk

Screen name: Alexis
Appearance:
ingame
Reality
Personality: Calling Miki an Otaku is a understatement, particularly those of Japanese history, although she is genuinely kind and considerate of others, the stigma of her obsession has caused her to be reserved, after the announcement of SAO, Miki felt that it would be the perfect opportunity to be respected for something she loved doing. Being as obsessive as to practice with her chosen weapons in Dagger and throwing knife prior to the games release.

Floor:1

Level:1

Equipment: Iron Dagger
Throwing knives

Cotton Gi
High leather Boots
Leather Vanbrace

Skills:

Dagger: 0/1000
Throwing: 0/1000

Sword skills:
Rapid bite
Single shot

Passive:
Sprint: 0/1000
Hiding: 0/1000
Tracking: 0/1000
Acrobatics: 0/1000
Detection: 0/1000
Night Vision: 0/1000

I think this is right.

pendarious

ok silk your character is approved you can post this over in the OOC thread and make a post in game whenever you are ready

AribethAmkiir

The Golden Touch

I have a small interest, but while I'm thinking about it I am just dropping in to say that you can watch the Sword Art series on Crunchyroll for free... I was skeptical at first, but it was pretty decent overall.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

AribethAmkiir

That's where I've been watching it actually.  The commercials are annoying, but I've had a good experience with the site.

The Golden Touch

The hubby has Premium, so I got to skip the commercials. >:) Oddly, I found the second series more fun- but I do like Fae in relation to a concept of a full body immersion game.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

pendarious

personally I preferred Sword Art Online (the first half of the anime)        to Fairy Dance (second half) but I did enjoy Fairy Dance. Though I'm hoping they do actually get the green light for Phantom Bullet and Mothers Rosario (volumes 5-7 of the light novels) to animate....Phantom Bullet is hilarious and awesome at the same time.....Mothers Rosario is a bit depressing though....

apygoos

AribethAmkiir

anyone able to suggest a model/pic for a female character?

Daril

What kind of character were you planning on playing?

AribethAmkiir

Trying to figure out what the group needs.  I don't want to compete against Asuna, but I'm tempted to take a rapier.  Suggestions?

Daril

Well Asuna isn't exactly a player character, so a rapier should be okay if that's the route you want to go.  Maybe add a buckler or something at some point in the future if you want to be a bit more unique.

A basic one handed sword is also an option if you want to go that route.  Plus there's weapons that haven't been considered yet like maces.  :P  Though that might not be your style. (Though I find the idea of some little girl with a high strength stat bashing the hell out of things with a mace or warhammer kind of hilarious.)

Keep in mind that characters don't have to be entirely combat oriented either.  Some of the characters could be blacksmiths and merchants after the skip to level two (actually you might want to clear that one with Pendarious first to be safe).

AribethAmkiir

I know Asuna isn't a PC.  What I meant by "compete against" was I didn't want people to see my character and compare her to Asuna.  That's all.

Little girl with a mace isn't really my style, but I agree it is pretty funny.  I'll browse through the link you gave me and see if I find anything that sparks my muse.

Thanks.

AribethAmkiir

Screen name: Ryouko
Real Life Appearance

Personality: Ryouko tries to be a perfectionist.  She's always been driven and has studied hard to gain the approval of her parents.  Gaming, however, has been the one outlet she's allowed herself over the years.  Because of this, she's extremely outgoing, friendly, and compassionate; and has a decent knowledge of how most games work. 

Floor: 1

Equipment:

Iron Rapier
Iron Buckler

Cotton Shirt
Leather Skirt
Leather Vest
Leather Sandals

Skills:

One-Handed Rapier: 0/1000
Parry: 0/1000

One-handed Rapier Skills:

Linear (1-hit strike) - The first rapier skill learned that delivers a single thrust at the enemy at a great speed

pendarious

ok I approve though I don't see why people add an avatar pic since the majority of the game they look like themselves......

AribethAmkiir

That's what I thought the mirror did, but I saw people posting an avatar picture so I just followed.  For my character, I guess you'd just have to kind of blend the two pictures a bit.  *shrugs*

Silk

Because although the face will change, the equipment and clothing would still be relevant in the game.

pendarious

*looks at the last two posts* uh....yeah I guess...*sweatdrop* I am kinda notorious for missing small details like those......

Daril

We could probably use a couple more players, but I think its getting to be about time we started discussing who is going to meet whom on Floor 2.

Speaking of Floor 2, I know we need to be a little careful about the overall number of threads since we plan to do level skips in the future, but I think it would be a good idea to split Floors 1 and 2 into separate threads.  That way those of us who have posted our character's reactions to Kayaba's announcement can move on to Level 2 but new players will still have a chance to post their character's reactions.  (I'm also still holding out hope that I can convince Pendarious to split characters profiles and OOC discussion into separate threads since I think that would be a good idea as well.)

apygoos

pendarious

I'm not splitting the character and OOC threads because I believe it's easier to keep track of things and it's less thread clutter. I'm not separating floors 1 and 2 for the exact same reason. I have a policy of something called Organized Chaos though it may drive you nuts as far as i'm concerned everything has it's own general location and as long as we know what the general location is we can find it quickly enough no? so here's how the threads are going to be (as far as I have any plans for)

Characters and OOC are one thread (when I bother to go back through it I'll copy everyone's sheets into the first post)

Floors 1 and 2 will remain one thread

Floors  3-4

Floor 5

Floors 8-9

Floors 10-11

Floors 14-15

Floor 18

More information will come as the game  goes on.

as apygoos said we'll just use time and location tags to distinguish where everyone is.

Charlemagne

I never really lost interest in this, and it seems like more people joined, so perhaps I'll make a character after all.

I still like 1x1 games the best, and am kinda timid towards group games, but I rewatched SAO again this weekend and it kinda made me want to join in on this again.

Daril

The problem with doing OOC and Character Profiles together is what happens if newcomers want to join later on.  Its one thing if we're all on Page One, but quite another if we've got profiles scattered through ten or twenty pages.  Also copying everyone's profiles into the first post isn't a good idea because people will need to update the profiles as their characters level up.  Its gong to be very awkward if we can't edit them ourselves, because then we'll need to ask you to make changes to that post every time we update our profiles.  :P

I was thinking there are two possible ways we could approach Floor threads:

A) The threads represent geographic locations.  Players must switch threads when their characters move to other floors..
B) The threads represent time periods, with the Floor in the thread title indicating the current "frontline" floor.  Players could switch floors within a thread and would just use location tags to keep track of where they were.

I personally favor B but I'm not the boss here.

Charlemagne

Player (Real world identity): Okayama Daisuke

Screen Name: Dice

Appearance:

Ingame Appearance:

Personality and Background: Daisuke is, quite simply, as average as a young man can be. He passed all of his courses throughout school without a hitch, but he wasn't top of the class. He had a girlfriend before he started University courses, but while her grades dropped and his soared above them, they became distant. On top of that, the young man began playing more and more video games, eventually buying himself Nervegear, which eventually took over the majority of his free time.

Since he was able to balance both his college courses, part time work, and the small social life he had, his parents trusted him enough to let him live alone in an apartment. As long as he kept up his grades, they'd pay for him to live there.

This led to him quitting his job and spending every night playing video games. Sure, in real life, he was kind, outgoing, and pretty social when he was around people he liked. But it was different in video games. He didn't join clans or guilds, and didn't really talk in chat with anyone. Why? Most people just bragged about items or stories that were only partially true. People just couldn't shut up about the items they looted, or the groups they raided with. It was just...

Annoying.

So his plan, when SAO launched, was to just enjoy the game by himself, avoid big groups, and only party up when it was required to beat a boss. Little did he know, that was going to be his curse.

In this new SAO, one where death was permanent, people would either be his worst enemy, or his savior.

Floor 1:

HP: 980 (1000)

Equipment:

Iron Longsword

Skills:

One Handed Sword: 0/1000 (Subject to Change)

Sword Skills:

Slant
Vertical
Rage Spike

This is just a very rough outline, I suppose. I just wanted to clear it with you all and see if I could post it in the OOC. I hope to ICly choose other abilities/talents, rather than set them in stone right now.

Silk

Well by subject to change with your chosen weapon. How do you mean? Will you trade out weapons later or just not 100% on your weapon choice yet?

Besides that, it seems pretty typical of a lot of characters, and as for the rest of the skills, I think I'm really the only one that's gone on a limb and picked a set early, mostly because of the jump the gun nature of my character.

Charlemagne

Well.

I want to eventually switch to a greatsword, but I don't know yet.

I'm just gonna wait to see if I'm accepted before I really do anything else.

Silk

Well Pend is going to be away for a few days, but I personally don't see an issue with it. And as for the switching out to a great sword, your not limited to a particular type of weapon. Just keep in mind that your skill would end up being lower than others who stick to one weapon type (Like mine will ultimately be lower because I'm using two weapon types (Dagger + throwing) Although depending how much people do in regards to combat in comparison to others will also likely effect how skilled you become in things.

Silk

I think your character will be ok, if pend has issue with it, just be prepared for ammendments :) No point keeping you out of the game longer than needed.

Charlemagne

Quote from: Silk on August 12, 2013, 03:50:45 PM
I think your character will be ok, if pend has issue with it, just be prepared for ammendments :) No point keeping you out of the game longer than needed.

Alright then. I'll make an intro post sometime tonight then.

zergmuncher

I've been pretty busy travelling and such but i'll be able to post more often now that i'm getting settled. Although RL may steal me every so often.

pendarious

to Daril: I think your trying to make things more complex than they need to be really. As far as updating your sheets goes I admit that is a bit of a problem so I'll just ask that you all send me the updates via PM and I'll update them on the first page (This is also making it a little more complicated than necessary admittedly)

to ItsOzone Daisuke is fine 

in regards to switching out weapons as silk said the skill will be slightly lower unless you constantly fight to improve your skills (those will go up the most)

To Silk: Actually throwing and your daggers shouldn't be lower than anyone else's skills as long as you fight by throwing and then running in for close range to try and moderate the two.

Daril

I do have a tendency to make things complicated sometimes.  But in the case of character profiles I think having a separate thread can actually simplify things.  Its going to be a huge pain if every player has to PM you every time they need to add or subtract something from their character's inventory. :P

pendarious

I don't mean to sound like an ass but since it's bugging Daril so much let's take a vote

should I separate the character sheets from the OOC thread and have you all update your character sheets yourselves

or

Should I move them all to the first post of the OOC thread and take the time to update your sheets for you as you go so that you don't have to trouble yourselves with it

I do understand that by me updating the sheets it takes an aspect from you guys but then again If i'm doing it at least you guys will know I'm keeping track of everyone on a definitive basis.

Charlemagne

Quote from: pendarious on August 13, 2013, 08:17:03 PM
I don't mean to sound like an ass but since it's bugging Daril so much let's take a vote

should I separate the character sheets from the OOC thread and have you all update your character sheets yourselves

or

Should I move them all to the first post of the OOC thread and take the time to update your sheets for you as you go so that you don't have to trouble yourselves with it

I do understand that by me updating the sheets it takes an aspect from you guys but then again If i'm doing it at least you guys will know I'm keeping track of everyone on a definitive basis.

I think we should just keep things simple. I believe all of our CSs are on the OOCs front page. We can edit them ourselves. Or, we can edit our own in the other thread dedicated to CSs alone.

This will prevent Pend from being burned out on constant updating of everyone's profile. Also, I think I can assume we're all moderately skilled RPers here, so we can describe the relevant things about our current situation ICly. Such as passive skills/equipped gear, etc. Of course, I doubt anyone will GodMod and say "Oh yea so he switched to Mjolnir (or some other OP weapon) while no one was looking."

And lastly, it could also prevent people from being too 'informed'. In the manga and the anime, you couldn't see the stats of other people unless you were over their shoulder, watching them slide through their items and skills.

Oops. This turned into a mini rant. I'm just gonna stop.

AribethAmkiir

I'm good with the current way it's setup.  I'll likely require Pen's help adding stats to my character anyway.  I've also been in plenty of games where the character sheets are never current.  As long as it doesn't burn Pen out, I think that him having control over updating the sheets is wise.

Jebble212

I'm indifferent either way but I don't want anyone overloaded if it could be avoided. I plan on keeping track of my stats in a document anyway.

Silk

Format I'm not too worried about. As for the leveling up. why not have it like 100 exp per leve (for example) l that the characters get to spend in what they want, with Pend rewarding bonuses if he feels it's worthwhile. Will leave us with 10 maxed skills minimum by floor 100

Daril

The main issue with simply doing things as is is what happens if someone new joins in later -unlike our profiles, there's will not be on the first page.  As for why I'd wanted a separate thread rather than Pendarious just copying our profiles and updating them himself, well... if I'm going to be completely honest one of the major reasons is because I'm prone to making a lot of little tweaks to things.

AribethAmkiir

Why aren't we discussing this in the OOC?

Also, if a new player joins they could simply PM Pen their sheet and he can post it with the others.  As for being able to "tweak" your sheet whenever you want, I think that could lead to a lot of misinterpretations, especially if someone had "200 straight sword" one day and "0 straight sword" the next.  I'm sure the game has a way to reassign the skill points, but I think any changes to the sheets after the first floor should only happen with Pen's approval.

Daril

I actually wouldn't mind Pend being in the loop on character profile changes as there's a lot of vaguery in my mind about what's appropriate at different levels.  However unless he pretty much flat out takes over when it comes to planning our character builds that could see him being asked quite a few questions -would he be able to handle that?  Also if there was quite a bit of discussion between us and Pend regarding our character builds that could itself justify the creation of a character thread.  I know I'm kind of reluctant to get into a nitty-gritty discussion about the archery skills system I've been coming up with in the middle of a thread people should be using to plan what's going to happen next in the game (right now I think the priority for the OOC thread should be sorting out who is going to up with whom after we jump to Floor 2).

AribethAmkiir

Understandable.  I just think this thread should be used for recruitment purposes and the OOC thread should be used for everything OOC.

pendarious

well I've seen threads locked or moved by the sites admins for being too much of an OOC thread so I'll make one more OOC type comment here and then from here on ALL OOC material goes in the OOC thread.

because constant tweaking of a sheet could cause issues and I don't want to find a blue million changes to characters while I'm in the middle of figuring stuff out I'm just going to take control of the sheets. As for updating I'm not going to do anything to the characters without first consulting the player that the character belongs to. Yes I am doing the editing but YOU will decide how your skill points are to be spent not me therefor you still control how your characters are built.

also in regards to skill point re-assignment sadly SAO doesn't have a system like that....the points are there once they are there. once you change your skills they start back at 0 and you have to do the work to level them up from scratch but the skills you've already worked on will remain at the level you left them. As for the stats like strength, dex and all that what not as I said before one would assume the skill points would be put to what is necessary for the way you want to build the characters so I have no concerns as to where those skill points go All I care about is how much you use you skills to level them up and gain access to more sword skills and what not.

NotoriusBEN

Im just curious if you guys wanted another writer for the SAO game. I'll put a character in the character thread, anyways.

pendarious