My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Started by Kunoichi, April 10, 2011, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

...To be fair, for Derpy's original voice, voice actress Tabitha St. Germain thought she was a boy, and based her voice on the kid of one of her neighbors.  Even if it does seem like a bit of a lower-quality rush-job, I can at least approve of making the voice more feminine, since I didn't think think the previous voice really fit.  The cheering at the end sounded spot on.

Changing 'Now careful, Derpy...' to just a flat 'Now careful...', on the other hand, is much more disappointing, since it was really the first major nod to the fandom that we got...  But that could still at least be a copyright thing, rather than a political correctness thing.

...Unless someone at Hasbro actually went on record elaborating things, anyway.

Sabby

...wait, what? People are offended by the name Derpy Hooves? Oh ffs, I get so sick of this political correctness mind field.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Zipporah on February 24, 2012, 06:19:01 PM
How dare you be so offensive to the Easily Offended on the Behalf of Others Community?!   :'(  Won't somebody please think of the children?
Not that way, you sicko!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Alysanthia

But... But... I liked the cute voice that Germain did, it gave Derpy character, made her unique...  :'(

Wolfy

Quote from: Kunoichi on February 25, 2012, 12:05:08 AM
...To be fair, for Derpy's original voice, voice actress Tabitha St. Germain thought she was a boy, and based her voice on the kid of one of her neighbors.  Even if it does seem like a bit of a lower-quality rush-job, I can at least approve of making the voice more feminine, since I didn't think think the previous voice really fit.  The cheering at the end sounded spot on.

Changing 'Now careful, Derpy...' to just a flat 'Now careful...', on the other hand, is much more disappointing, since it was really the first major nod to the fandom that we got...  But that could still at least be a copyright thing, rather than a political correctness thing.

...Unless someone at Hasbro actually went on record elaborating things, anyway.

But....Now she sounds like a female Forest Gump.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Wolfy on February 25, 2012, 10:15:51 AM
But....Now she sounds like a female Forest Gump.

True.  Also, I just now realized that they un-derped her eyes, so...

NOOOOOOOOO!

I'm sad, now. :-(

Wolfy

ShanaTheIV

I never even watched the latest cartoon, but I still find it hard to believe how the show had gotten so popular outside its target audience. I'm not trying to be mean here but isn't the show aimed at younger children? And how did it became an internet meme anyway?

I might give it a quick watch sooner or later just to see what the fuss is about. I just find it a little annoying to see those things popping up every few minutes. .-.

Sabby

Alysanthia

Quote from: ShanaTheIV on February 25, 2012, 03:33:10 PM
I never even watched the latest cartoon, but I still find it hard to believe how the show had gotten so popular outside its target audience. I'm not trying to be mean here but isn't the show aimed at younger children? And how did it became an internet meme anyway?

I might give it a quick watch sooner or later just to see what the fuss is about. I just find it a little annoying to see those things popping up every few minutes. .-.

I watch the show because I loved My Little Ponies when I was a little and I love Lauren Faust's work she is just great... Don't know why all the guys watch it.

Just a bunch of crazy Bronies me thinks. :P

Kunoichi

Nah, it was a combination of luck and timing, as I understand it. ^^ A large group all watched it at once to see why this guy wrote an article stating that it marked the beginning of the end of modern animation, and after watching it, they were not only of the opinion that he was wrong, but that he had clearly not watched the show at all, and was just having a knee-jerk reaction to it.

Then things just sorta snowballed from there, and the show has remained popular due to being legitimately good on its own merits.

Sabby

And as KYM pointed out, the Trolls went after the Bronies, the Mods went after the Trolls, and once you ban something on 4Chan, it's strength multiplies 10 fold!

ShanaTheIV

So the series was founded by the same person who created the Power Puff Girls? Well that video alone answers most, if not all of my questions. Thanks.

Though I still probably won't get into it regardless. Even I have my limits.  :-\

Alysanthia

Quote from: ShanaTheIV on February 25, 2012, 07:18:47 PM
So the series was founded by the same person who created the Power Puff Girls? Well that video alone answers most, if not all of my questions. Thanks.

Though I still probably won't get into it regardless. Even I have my limits.  :-\

Technically her husband created the Power Puff Girls, she worked on it and helped on his other show Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends.

And you never know, I have a friend who sworn they would never get into the series... Now they have downloaded the first two seasons and love it. xD

Sabby

I told Andy I'd make him a Brony, and he swore it would never happen.

I'm actually brushing his mane as I type this >:3

Kunoichi

Wolfy

Quote from: Kunoichi on February 25, 2012, 09:48:24 PM
And speaking of people you'd never expect to be Bronies...

Bronies React to Teens React to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

^About five seconds in.

Wait, it's a reaction to a reaction?

IT'S PONYCEPTION!

Sabby

What, never seen a pony inside another? >:3

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on February 26, 2012, 06:44:15 AM
What, never seen a pony inside another? >:3

...Would you like to show me? ;D *tilts head towards bushes*

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kunoichi

Alysanthia

http://www.welovefine.com

The site has a great selection of Pony shirts.

My favorites are 'The Pony Games' and 'Trixie' shirt, but I want them all naturally. lol

Wolfy

Revelation

I'm a bit late to the party, but the 'new' Derpy hooves has just made me so incredibly sad. They just removed everything I liked about the character and I adored her old voice. It seemed only fitting that a character who got popular because of an error had an error to her voice as well.

I sincerely hope that Derpy Hooves gets her 'old' voice back. She never sounded retarded or mentally challenged. She was slapstick humor, and considering i've had speech problems myself but am perfectly smart and literate... Its almost feels like a 'People with odd voices can't be normal' sort of thing. Ohh.... I am not happy about this at all.

Edit: I am doubly offended actually, because of my speech problems that needed corrective help, as well as needing eye surgery to help fix a lazy eye. So this feels doubly insulting to me. I'm writing Hasbro a firm letter.