Angelscroll Academy- Fantasy, adventure, school life(?), maybe exotic NC [Full]

Started by Koyume, June 04, 2012, 02:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belisuavious

Quote from: Vaulera on June 08, 2012, 10:41:14 PM
Please dear god, change his name lol! did you name him liam on purpose?

Of course I did. Now, all of you will be reading whatever I write for this character in Liam Neeson's soft Irish accent.

Funny story, I watched the Les Miserable film he starred in, and then read the book. No matter how often I reminded myself that all the characters were French, Jean Val Jean was always speaking in a soft Irish accent. Made the book much better for some reason.

Saric

Is this still open? And would a rogue reptilian humanoid from the Outside who apparently is suffering from memory loss be an option?
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Koyume

It's good to see that there's so much interest in this, but how many players/characters are we going for here?

Arioch

OK, here is a replacement idea for Tynissa.

Name: Merrick Quickhand
Race: Human

Background: The city has a number of different types of units to defend the people. The first line is the guards atop the walls. Trained to repel the attackers and keep them from breeching and moving into the city. But, if they were to fail the next line is a group of warriors trained to fight within the city streets themselves. They are practiced in working individually or in small teams to harass the enemy and let the main defenders re-group to launch a large attack and push back the fiends.

Early on, Merrick showed promise in fighting. He wasn’t muscular like many that were chosen for manning the walls. But he was quick and agile, thus he was selected for the skirmishers. When his instruction was given it was evident that he was able to adapt to changing environments, using unnatural terrain to his advantage. He also showed promise with multiple weapons, able to use anything he found as an improvised tool to defeat his enemy.

When the academy selected him for additional training he chose the two scimitars as his preferred weapons. Hours of instruction helped to perfect his technique. And even though he was often instructed indoors, he still used all of the training room to his advantage, jumping in the corners to flip behind the attackers and gain the advantage or using obstacles to act as shields.

Personality: Merrick is a bit cocky, knowing that he is expected to give his life in defense of the city it gives him a sense of indifference. He can be quick with a joke or even a statement of seriousness depending on the situation.

Abilities & Skills: Gymnastics unlike any other, ability to use two weapons at once and can climb walls with just his feet up to 10’ in height.

Strength/Weakness: His gymnastics ability is his greatest strength, allowing him to flip over or dodge around an opponent. Unfortunately, for him to be able to use his skills he cannot wear anything more than basic leather clothing leaving him with little protection from surprise attacks.

Quote: “I’m not here to live forever.”

Wargtass

No need to throw away Tynissa, I liked her.

I also like the little fluffy thing (being an old school ork-player I know how that Waaagh! calls you sometimes) as well as the bakenekos, a good way to incorporate a bit of sadistic glee into it all.

As for the player count I'll hear Saric out on his concept and then no more. So you could change the subject to no slots available, full or whatever fancy you.

Now Saric, this better be a damn good concept to make me change my mind about characters from outside the walls...  ;D
O/O

Arioch

Since there seemed to be a run of magic users, as well as those that liked to summon, I thought Tynissa wasn't necessary and there were those that are better than her. Since this is an adventure for some of the best, I figured a replacement would be in order.

I'll leave it up to those already assembled. Should I keep Tynissa or bring in Merrick?

Koyume

Well, the most important thing is that you play a character you feel comfortable with. That said, I kind've liked Tynissa's background more. An alternative, to avoid stepping on the toes of our other summoner, might be to focus more on necromancy or some other kind of magic instead.

Arioch

I like both characters, but, I agree with you that Tynissa has a more fleshed out background.  She could be a better necromancer, which would explain why her summoning spells usually go wrong.

Ironwolf85

I will keep Amato, I've got a shory picture being drawn by a comissioned artist, if it turns out right I will put it up.

I'm looking for artistic stuff to suit the Shoray... I think I found a character pic, I will post it here and up above.

this is the only real pic I could find that isn't either massively muscled, effeminate being humped, or looking like somthing out of asops fabels and so on
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Arioch

Saric

Quote from: Wargtass on June 09, 2012, 04:03:19 PM
As for the player count I'll hear Saric out on his concept and then no more. So you could change the subject to no slots available, full or whatever fancy you.

Now Saric, this better be a damn good concept to make me change my mind about characters from outside the walls...  ;D

Well if the idea works for you I'd like to discuss his actual past via PM, after all if he doesn't know it until the big reveal (if such ever happens) why should anyone else?

But the basic idea is simple. He showed up outside the city gate roughly three or four years ago covered in wounds and with an actual spear sticking out of his back, the tip only inches from his heart. He seems to have some skill with both weapons and some basic combat magics but it works basically on instinct, his earliest memory is of waking up feeling rather sick inside some kind of desecrated temple with some unknown being in robes standing over him with a rather unpleasant ceremonial knife raise to take his heart. Proving both faster and stronger then the robed one he disarms it and tries to find out what is going on, but all he learns is that he is to be sacrificed in a necromantic ritual to raise new undead troops for the Tyrant's next attack... including his own corpse. He had just enough time to find out where this place the Tyrant is attacking is (the School) before the guards break in. The rest of that day becomes a confused blur of fighting, running and hiding before collapsing outside the School gates. While he has been admitted to the grounds many think he is a spy, though some admit that even he may not know he is one, others believe he should be cast out or killed on general principle. All magical attempts to restore his memory or divine his nature or origin have failed... except that it has been learned that his lost memory is do to some kind of incredibly powerful domination magic, magic which surpasses any known by the teachers but which some believe a second exposure to could restore his mind. Ever since he has petitioned to join one of the expeditions below in hopes of finding some such magic, but those in positions of power who distrust him have blocked such permission and, desperate as he has become, he's not foolish enough to explore the depths alone. However, finally, he has at long last been granted permission to join the next batch of students on their final exam, and if most of them are the kind of outcasts that would not be terribly missed, and he should happen to get them all killed or die with them well... accidents happen in the depths...
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Wargtass

O/O

Koyume

Do you expect us to get started once Saric's character is complete?

Ironwolf85

debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

MzHyde

Name: Myra Maybelle "Belle" Starr
Race: Human

Background: The Starr family line is said to be one of the oldest in Angelscroll, a line of knights and warriors that have long stood to defend the gates from the Tyrant's brutal onslaught. But the endless siege has devastated the once sprawling family as offspring die in either the catacombs below, during sieges, or of natural causes. Myra Maybelle 'Belle' is the last of the bloodline. Like her ancestors, Belle showed a talent for swordplay and strategy early on in her life. To her, combat is a chess match. You move your pieces and sometimes you have to sacrifice a pawn to capture a king. Sometimes you must suffer a minor injury to strike a fatal blow. Her fighting style emphasizes this principle: she will trick and opponent by pretending to leave her guard open and may even subject herself to a minor wound in order to strike a killing blow. This carries over to her studies in tactics as well. Though her instructors balk at her methods, her proposed tactics in class would often lead to an overwhelming victory. This attitude has earned her some scorn from her peers at the academy, but none can doubt her raw talent and intelligence. But is she straying too far from her noble roots? Will she learn that soldiers are not just pawns, but people? Is it right to sacrifice someone even if it means victory and life for a greater number? The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. ...Or is there another way? When the next siege comes, Belle will be called to the front lines, called to lead her own troops. What will happen to those under her command?

Personality: Belle is a surprisingly warm and friendly woman outside of class and training. She greets her friends with a smile and pays little heed to her detractors. Indeed, outside of class it is hard to imagine that this is a woman who would manipulate a battlefield with cold precision. In class or training, however, she is calculating and fixated solely on the task at hand. She is always calm and collected and seems to be in control of the situation - even if she is losing - which can be a tad unnerving for some. Once, while outmatched during a spar with a fellow student, he dropped his sword and surrendered because she looked so confident that he was sure she had something brutal planned.

Abilities & Skills: Excellent swordswoman, genius strategist, good archery skills, extremely cunning.

Strength/Weakness: Belle's greatest strengths revolve around combat and planning. She is an extremely formidable one-on-one opponent and can even handle multiple opponents in combat with some ease. At commanding troops and planning attacks, she is unmatched - especially in open field battles. However, she has never commanded troops during a real siege. All of her experience thus far is fighting on the front lines under the command of someone else. Next time, however, she will be in charge of her own troops. Her attitude has caused her to have a negative reputation at the academy, and while some can see the logic in her methods, others call her cold hearted and may refuse her command.

Quote: "If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles."

MzHyde

Wargtass

O/O

MzHyde

Ironwolf85

yeah and I'm still wavering about continuing since I can't get things right

Annie

“Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton

Koyume

Quote from: Annie on June 23, 2012, 09:19:15 AM
Is there room yet?

Definitely seems like there might be. I'm quite sure that not everyone who 'signed up' has reported in either the OOC or the IC thread.

Wargtass

O/O

Annie

Gentlemen, I think I'll take back my interest on this. I couldn't think in a interesting character that would suit this game well. Apologies for any trouble that I may have caused. Thank you all and have fun with this game!

“Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton