Salem: Witches Among Us (Accepting Characters)

Started by Jordan South, May 12, 2014, 09:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan South

Well, I don't do a lot of planning when starting new games because I believe that a game really pans out as the writers collaborate. But, here is the just of what I am wanting.

1690's, Salem. The Witch Trials are starting and my character has made a deal with the devil- though no one in town knows it. His power keeps him safe, but for how long is questionable. Whatever role you want your character to play is up for discussion along with the other surrounding details of the plot. I want your opinions and I want this to be a collaborative effort of bringing this story to life.

Characters:
Some characters will be witches, some characters will be humans, some characters will be victims. Which characters are witch (pun?) are up to you, but keep in mind, there is no plot without humans and victims.

Necessities:

-Creativity: Creativity gets you bonus points. RP's are a game to me. I love being able to create an alternate universe for myself and my characters and I can only do that with the help of my writing partner.

-Absolutely no ooc drama: As I said, this is a game. Games are suppose to be fun. They stop being fun when drama is involved.

Questions, feel free to drop me a PM! Looking forward to writing with you!
Selectively accepting new writing partners~ Post speed: Moderate

O/Os
Plot Ideas/Requests
A/A

AurelieCatena

Interesting idea! I'm very interested to play a witch or human victim.

Will the "Inquisitor"'s players know who is a witch and who is a normal human beforehand?

Jordan South

Awesome, glad your interested! If you've written with people that might be interested in this, you should definitely throw them to the thread!

Everyone OOC will know who is who and what is what. IC, only the witches will know who are in their circle. The humans will not know. The victims may suspect, but (for now at least) the witches will have complete control over them.

O/Os
Plot Ideas/Requests
A/A

Sparky01

Will play a filler character, townsfolk or something.  If you need some odd ball whack-job Magistrate, I wouldn't mind playing someone with a major quirk.  Maybe someone borderline or even completely crazy.  Good/Evil/Strange Victim or Witch.

I have had a mind to play a really odd person.

If you need a role, though, I'll fill it if I can get my mind behind it.

Jordan South

As of this particular moment (though this is subject to change in the future), there is no limit on the number of characters one can play. As we can more members, we may put up a limit, but for now, you can play as many as you feel you would like.

Borderline or completely crazy sounds good. Could be anything from a victim, a suspicious townsfolk or a witch that has completely gone off the deep end and is causing problems for the rest. Will make for some interesting RP!

O/Os
Plot Ideas/Requests
A/A

Fanshawe

I'm interested in this! Might be fun to play a judge-type, or priest, or just a filler villager.
**my O/O and A/A are woefully dated. Feel free to PM :)

Facet

Here's my proposal:

Josiah Cord.

Appearance: Josiah is a large man, no stranger to ale and meat and with a physique that reflects the same. However, he's sturdy as an oak and possessed of the strength and size that are optimal for his trade. He is reasonably well-respected within the town, and is dedicated to his forge. He considers himself competent and takes pride in his work, but remains humble. In truth, his skills are only average but his whole-hearted commitment as well as his strength place him slightly above others of equivalent ability. He is earnest and fair in business, as in life. He earns his keep from the sweat of his brow, and raises his children with the intention that they inherit his modest lot as he did from his father and mother.

He has two children, named Jeremiah and Charity. Jeremiah is an intelligent boy of twelve. Josiah imagines that in time, Jeremiah will be teaching him but in the meantime he helps the boy to learn about the natural world. He seems to be at his happiest when he is either reading about plants and animals, or else hunting. He has strong legs as well as a keen mind, and Josiah hopes that in years to come he might tend horses as well as shoe them. However, his interest at times seems a little morbid. Where Josiah himself would have been frightened to discover a dead horse or see a hunting dog pass away, Jeremiah only inspects. In the same way, he picks over hunted animals to discover how and why an arrow caused death in the manner it did.

Charity is a well-mannered and devout girl. At fifteen years of age, her interests are exactly where they should be: embroidery, house-keeping and the finding of a husband. She has designs on the preacher's boy, Michael, and Josiah couldn't be happier with that. He has no knowledge of Latin or of higher matters: only that God is to be loved and feared, and that there is no place better for his daughter than closest to the Lord and his ministers. Yet she, too, finds the time to go wandering into the woods and has been known to come back with flowers and herbs that he doesn't recognise. A girl will pick flowers, true enough, but on one occasion Charity returned to her bed and the very next day the farmer's expecting cattle all gave stillbirths. It was a sorry sight and a wicked one to be sure, poor sicklied Bess, pressing teat to calves whose mouth wouldn't take suck for the cold of death. He'd hurried the children back inside to help with the iron that day. He dreaded to think what folk would have said if they'd heard little Jeremiah all a-talk about the cow's sickness of mind to nurse miscarriages, and their little spirits moaning and wailing in the square.

Josiah is a man of firm faith. He is a good man. And yet, he experiences 'visitations' each night from a black cat named Pete. After each visit he prepares for the nightmares that will follow. In his dreams, at intervals he dare not guess at but nearly always when the moon is full and frost covers the ground, he is told that It Is Time. Twisted faces rear up from the flames of his forge and remind him that the Devil is watching him. They tell him: salt the farmer's earth. Put out the eye of the witchfinder's dog. Strangle the lambs. Above all, remember that if he doesn't obey the Devil's servant, Black Peter, the watchful eye of Satan will fall upon his children. He has long suspected that he is already watching, ever since his dear Mildred passed, but he will do anything to preserve them. Even if it costs him his soul.
"As one becomes more virtuous, one becomes a tsundere."  Zetsubou Sensei

Not pictured: a duck with a leek, a leering horse, a suicidal teacher, a shut-in, some gamblers, various skeletons and the back of your head.

Don't turn around. Don't spoil it. Just be satisfied knowing that it's quite a party.

Chrystal

OOOH Interesting.

Aurélie, vilaine fille! Pourquoi n'as-tu pas montrer ça à moi? *spanks*

I should like to be considered for a witch and/or a victim. If you have enough female witches, then I shall be a virgin girl in the thrall of one of them. If you don't I shall play a witch. If it's touch and go which group needs more I might try both.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Jordan South

Quote from: Fanshawe on May 13, 2014, 03:15:45 PM
I'm interested in this! Might be fun to play a judge-type, or priest, or just a filler villager.

Awesome! I'll keep you updated!

Quote from: Facet on May 13, 2014, 05:15:01 PM
Here's my proposal:

Josiah Cord.

Appearance: Josiah is a large man, no stranger to ale and meat and with a physique that reflects the same. However, he's sturdy as an oak and possessed of the strength and size that are optimal for his trade. He is reasonably well-respected within the town, and is dedicated to his forge. He considers himself competent and takes pride in his work, but remains humble. In truth, his skills are only average but his whole-hearted commitment as well as his strength place him slightly above others of equivalent ability. He is earnest and fair in business, as in life. He earns his keep from the sweat of his brow, and raises his children with the intention that they inherit his modest lot as he did from his father and mother.

He has two children, named Jeremiah and Charity. Jeremiah is an intelligent boy of twelve. Josiah imagines that in time, Jeremiah will be teaching him but in the meantime he helps the boy to learn about the natural world. He seems to be at his happiest when he is either reading about plants and animals, or else hunting. He has strong legs as well as a keen mind, and Josiah hopes that in years to come he might tend horses as well as shoe them. However, his interest at times seems a little morbid. Where Josiah himself would have been frightened to discover a dead horse or see a hunting dog pass away, Jeremiah only inspects. In the same way, he picks over hunted animals to discover how and why an arrow caused death in the manner it did.

Charity is a well-mannered and devout girl. At fifteen years of age, her interests are exactly where they should be: embroidery, house-keeping and the finding of a husband. She has designs on the preacher's boy, Michael, and Josiah couldn't be happier with that. He has no knowledge of Latin or of higher matters: only that God is to be loved and feared, and that there is no place better for his daughter than closest to the Lord and his ministers. Yet she, too, finds the time to go wandering into the woods and has been known to come back with flowers and herbs that he doesn't recognise. A girl will pick flowers, true enough, but on one occasion Charity returned to her bed and the very next day the farmer's expecting cattle all gave stillbirths. It was a sorry sight and a wicked one to be sure, poor sicklied Bess, pressing teat to calves whose mouth wouldn't take suck for the cold of death. He'd hurried the children back inside to help with the iron that day. He dreaded to think what folk would have said if they'd heard little Jeremiah all a-talk about the cow's sickness of mind to nurse miscarriages, and their little spirits moaning and wailing in the square.

Josiah is a man of firm faith. He is a good man. And yet, he experiences 'visitations' each night from a black cat named Pete. After each visit he prepares for the nightmares that will follow. In his dreams, at intervals he dare not guess at but nearly always when the moon is full and frost covers the ground, he is told that It Is Time. Twisted faces rear up from the flames of his forge and remind him that the Devil is watching him. They tell him: salt the farmer's earth. Put out the eye of the witchfinder's dog. Strangle the lambs. Above all, remember that if he doesn't obey the Devil's servant, Black Peter, the watchful eye of Satan will fall upon his children. He has long suspected that he is already watching, ever since his dear Mildred passed, but he will do anything to preserve them. Even if it costs him his soul.

This is very interesting. I am glad you have a lot planned out on what you want for your character. It definitely sounds like a good plan, although somethings sound like the devil himself is watching Josiah, versus a witch. But those things can ironed with the witch drivers when the game goes live. Also, we'll have a character sheet thread where these things can be kept track of. But I love the concept! And you even chose a name from that time period! Awesome work!

Quote from: Chrystal on May 13, 2014, 05:25:04 PM
OOOH Interesting.

I should like to be considered for a witch and/or a victim. If you have enough female witches, then I shall be a virgin girl in the thrall of one of them. If you don't I shall play a witch. If it's touch and go which group needs more I might try both.

Awesome! Right now, we can't have too many of either. Talk to your muse and find out which you like better haha. But, I shall throw your name into the pot of witches.  When it comes time for the game to go live, I may ask for a writing sample of the witch characters and go from there if we end up with too many, but for now, feel free to let your muse run rampant!

O/Os
Plot Ideas/Requests
A/A

Facet

Ah, well I should have gone to further pains to specify: all of the above are things that a person might easily have come to believe during that time based on hearsay and coincidence. Josiah's problems could all be the work of a witch, the Devil himself, or simply his attributing supernatural attributes to coincidences as a way of coming to terms with his grief over the death of his wife. I leave it to our witches to decide how much, if any, of Josiah's struggles have a basis in truth.

Not pictured: a duck with a leek, a leering horse, a suicidal teacher, a shut-in, some gamblers, various skeletons and the back of your head.

Don't turn around. Don't spoil it. Just be satisfied knowing that it's quite a party.

Jordan South

Very true. I just know I am going to like writing with you. I'll shoot you a PM so I can get more info before the game goes live (which should be in just a couple of days depending on how many people we get interested).

O/Os
Plot Ideas/Requests
A/A

Chrystal

*chuckles*

If you want a sample of me playing a witch...

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=161268.0

Admittedly that is modern day, but it's been great fun to write and I really must get a post up soon!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Jordan South

Quote from: Chrystal on May 13, 2014, 05:56:06 PM
*chuckles*

If you want a sample of me playing a witch...

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=161268.0

Admittedly that is modern day, but it's been great fun to write and I really must get a post up soon!

....Yeah, you've got it. You should totally ask that girl you wrote with too xD It's fantastic writing.

O/Os
Plot Ideas/Requests
A/A

Facet

Alright, then. I'll be waiting for your PM. I think this RP has a lot of potential.

Chrystal

Quote from: Jordan South on May 13, 2014, 06:02:35 PM
....Yeah, you've got it. You should totally ask that girl you wrote with too xD It's fantastic writing.

I would, but she's taking a brief hiatus from E at the moment. She will be back probably in the summer. I know she checks in from time to time, so I will send her a PM and ask her to check the thread out.

Personally I can't understand why this group isnt totally huge already. I mean, witches and warlocks?

Oh by the way, I am totally of the opinion that the Salem witch hunts didn't kill a single real witch.

I am also contemplating using a much younger (and living) version of Gwen, the ghost from that story I linked to... There are hints in the story that Catherine is much older than she looks!

AurelieCatena

Question about the witches. Will they have real magical powers? Or just have some knowledge of plants ? Or do they just practice some dark rituals with no other power than psychological? Or maybe they are just strange women who are accused of being witches but are actually totally innocent?

Quote from: Chrystal on May 13, 2014, 05:25:04 PM

Hey! Who said that witches were necessarily lesbians? *spanks back*

French grammar lesson

Pourquoi ne m'as-tu pas montré ça ? *Fessée*

Chrystal

I was assuming, as Jordan's character has "made a deal with Satan" to be protected, that demonic and magical powers are real?

And it's been decades since I actually learned French, so blame Google Translate for getting it wrong... ;)

As for witches being lesbians, I suppose it depends upon your setting and rules of magic. In my magical universes, they invariably are, but that's down to personal preference.

Jordan South

Chrystal, I agree with you. The group should be huge! But, in a couple of days, we are going to move from an interest check to accepting characters, so the small group will go live in a couple of days. And with some time, we'll have our own big board!

Aurelie,

Chrystal is right. The demonic and magical powers are real. The powers are given to the witches by Satan, in exchange for sacrifices and worship. There will be "circles" or gatherings during the full moons. And I talked to another member about this earlier, but the witches will take possession of their victims through the use of "familiars"- animals given to the witches by Satan to help further their craft.

I have a member that is willing to play a demon that the witches can converse with during the circle and play the familiars on the off periods. So basically, the familiars will not have "lines", but they will have minds of their owns, while they are controlled by the witches. So there will be the aspect of the interaction of the witch with the familiar and then the familiar with the victim. Should make for some really cool format and fodder.

For that reason, this game is going to be probably be pretty slow paced to accommodate everybody's schedules, so don't worry about not being able to post immediately.

And just for the record, while we are on the subject, this game is LGBTQ friendly, so feel free to give your characters any sexual orientation you please. Odds are, there will be a lot of heavy sex in the game, as that is part of the corruption.

O/Os
Plot Ideas/Requests
A/A

AurelieCatena

What will victims do?

I am actually mostly interested into bondage and pain (for my character). So, should I rather play a captured and sentenced witch or a victim?

Jordan South

You can incorporate bondage and pain in any way you would like. Even non-captive witches can be bound by other witches, etc. Victims will more than likely be tortured on a psychological level as well as a physical one.

And for now, we aren't killing off any characters. A witch may be suspected and imprisoned, but another witch would manipulate people to get them out. Only NPCs will be hanged as of this moment. But the bondage/pain can come in anywhere. As a victim, a spouse of a witch, a witch that just happens to be having sex, a witch that is conversing with the demon. Any number of things can happen.

O/Os
Plot Ideas/Requests
A/A

Chrystal

Quote from: AurelieCatena on May 14, 2014, 09:26:32 AM
What will victims do?

I am actually mostly interested into bondage and pain (for my character). So, should I rather play a captured and sentenced witch or a victim?

Victim... *whistles innocently*

As for being LGBTQ friendly... Um... Q? I thought it was LGBTI? Anyway, I would not be posting here if I had even the remotest suspicion that it was not!

Mind you, Jordan, your avvie is a bit of a dead give-away in that respect...

OH! Have you asked Nic if he's interested? This could well be right up his street... (Almost said something else instead of street)

Jordan South

LGBTQIA -questioning, intersex, asexual. The list goes on, but still haha

And he said he saw the thread. *shrug* I figured if he was interested he'd post here. But I know he's busy with the college board.

O/Os
Plot Ideas/Requests
A/A

AurelieCatena

Quote from: Chrystal on May 14, 2014, 09:37:06 AM
Victim... *whistles innocently*
... or maybe a subaltern, novice, unskilled, maladroit witch?

Jordan South

Quote from: AurelieCatena on May 14, 2014, 09:41:46 AM
... or maybe a subaltern, novice, unskilled, maladroit witch?

That could definitely be fun

O/Os
Plot Ideas/Requests
A/A

Jordan South

Okay guys. The VERY FIRST thread is up! Feel free to go check it out.

This means we are officially moving from an interest check to accepting characters. The character sheet thread will go up shortly.

O/Os
Plot Ideas/Requests
A/A