What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Vile

Quote from: RedRose on September 08, 2016, 07:28:31 AM
Same old same old...
http://www.thelocal.fr/20160908/womens-shorts-prompt-violent-attack-in-southern-france

Well, that's just lovely. Sounds exactly like some of the things that have been happening here in Brussels for the past decade.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Lustful Bride

US Hostage Rescue Mission in Afghanistan ends with 7 Enemy combatants killed and no sign of the hostages. It is unknown if the hostages were moved or sent to a different location all together.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-tries-rescue-mission-in-afghanistan-hostages-not-found/ar-AAiFmCm?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Lustful Bride

International Monitors spot unusual seismic activity in North Korea consistent with weapons testing.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/monitors-report-unusual-seismic-activity-in-north-korea/ar-AAiFJSY?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Good god not a week goes by without North Korea just waving its middle fingers in the face of UN sanctions.

Anteros

ONS & OFFS: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14923.0

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Lustful Bride

Government forces deployed near Native Americans?

I can't be the only one cringing and feeling awkward right?

Oniya

In case you know anyone who doesn't think the Dakota Pipeline is a bad idea, this is an excellent essay on why the Sioux are protesting - and why more people should be:

http://www.stonekettle.com/2016/09/standing-rock.html

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 08, 2016, 09:02:26 PM
International Monitors spot unusual seismic activity in North Korea consistent with weapons testing.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/monitors-report-unusual-seismic-activity-in-north-korea/ar-AAiFJSY?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Good god not a week goes by without North Korea just waving its middle fingers in the face of UN sanctions.

That's what happens when the UN is about as threatening as a kitten at this time. Additionally, with China looming nearby, wagging a finger will do only so much.

Renegade Vile

Not sure how well this will translate. A Flemish couple was attacked (among many others) on their way to Calais by refugee rioters. Car got pelted by sticks, stones, etc. Lovely way to start a vacation...
Me and the missus have driven passed there on a number of occasions on the way to the ferry to Dover, and normally there are police vans stationed all along the fenced area where they keep refugees in their camps. Last time we drove by it had gotten considerably smaller so I didn't think this was still happening quite so badly.
Regardless, I sincerely question how vandalism is going to help the case of these people any, or how they seem think that stealing vehicles is somehow going to get them across the Channel without the paperwork to go with it.

RedRose

Calais people can't stand it anymore. I hear they're thinking of building a wall to protect the roads and cars/trucks from those constant attacks, hold ups, stonings...
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Renegade Vile

Quote from: RedRose on September 09, 2016, 05:30:50 AM
Calais people can't stand it anymore. I hear they're thinking of building a wall to protect the roads and cars/trucks from those constant attacks, hold ups, stonings...

*snickers* I don't want to make light of this situation, I really don't, but 'build a wall' is now a comedic statement to me, no matter the circumstances.
Damn you, Trump *shakes fist*!

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Renegade Vile on September 09, 2016, 01:50:21 AM
That's what happens when the UN is about as threatening as a kitten at this time. Additionally, with China looming nearby, wagging a finger will do only so much.

Reminds me of that Team America joke. That if you piss off the UN they will write you an angry letter telling you how angry they are X3

And another funny image that I cant find that were a list of rules of the UN and ended with "If this were a real Emergency you should have called the US"  X3

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 09, 2016, 08:57:58 AM
Reminds me of that Team America joke. That if you piss off the UN they will write you an angry letter telling you how angry they are X3

And another funny image that I cant find that were a list of rules of the UN and ended with "If this were a real Emergency you should have called the US"  X3

Michael Caine said in an interview, after he had been in The Dark Knight: "Superman is how America sees itself, while Batman is how the rest of the world sees America".  :P

Pointed observation - but anyway I agree the UN often comes across as woefully crippled when it comes to taking action on anything.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

A quick note from Poland:

As mentioned earlier, Smoleńsk hit the cinemas today. According to the press, many headmasters are already planning on organizing school trips for their students to see the movie. Apparently, watching Smoleńsk is now patriotic... :P

God, I do hope that children that get sent to see this movie will be able to see through the lies and propaganda... If not, a whole generation might get indoctrinated in one quick sweep.

The situation in my country makes me cry :(

Missy

Oniya

Quote from: Missy on September 09, 2016, 11:32:58 AM
What is Smolensk?

A movie that basically chalks up the 2010 presidential plane crash in Poland to a terrorist plot.  Kind of like those 9-11 'truther' films.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on September 09, 2016, 11:35:17 AM
A movie that basically chalks up the 2010 presidential plane crash in Poland to a terrorist plot.  Kind of like those 9-11 'truther' films.

Specifically, it explicitly shows that the plane crash was a result of a bomb hidden on board and suggest that it was all a conspiracy between then-Prime Minister Donald Tusk and Russia's Vladimir Putin.

Basically, imagine a movie about 9-11 that would say it was all a conspiracy by CIA and Bush. And then, imagine such a movie officially endorsed by Obama's administration with the intent to prove that the Republicans are willing traitors to the US nation. That is Smoleńsk...

Missy

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on September 09, 2016, 11:49:47 AM
BTW. Oh my God... Smoleńsk has an IMDB page. And someone had... messed it up a a lot:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6038600/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6038600/trivia?item=tr3061574 - from the 'Trivia' page.  Nope, I think they fixed it.  ;D 

EDIT:  I'm waiting for the 'Goofs' page to start filling up.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beorning on September 09, 2016, 11:49:47 AM
BTW. Oh my God... Smoleńsk has an IMDB page. And someone had... messed it up a a lot:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6038600/

If IMDB's discussion spaces (at the bottom of every main page for a specific movie, actor, director etc) are anything like what they used to be, then people will be tearing at each other's throats on the forum related to Smolensk.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 09, 2016, 01:17:39 PM
If IMDB's discussion spaces (at the bottom of every main page for a specific movie, actor, director etc) are anything like what they used to be, then people will be tearing at each other's throats on the forum related to Smolensk.

Oh, it's starting - if Google translate is accurate for Polish -> English.  The one I tried from the thread that mentioned Leni Riefenstahl (a WWII propagandist) came out about as coherent as a Yahoo News comment, so it could go either way. ::)

Beorning

Heh. If you need translation, then the Polish-language post is "Have you seen this movie? No? Then why the fuck are you commenting?". Also, note that "chuj" is Polish for "dick", but more vulgar.

So... yeah, the usual hell of Polish Internet's political discussion shall soon begin ;)

Oniya

I have a feeling that the English comment afterwards realized exactly what it meant.  XD

(Google wasn't too far off - not as smooth, but it got the obscenities correct.)

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on September 09, 2016, 01:49:51 PM
I have a feeling that the English comment afterwards realized exactly what it meant.  XD

Well, it's quite obvious that all / most of these commenters are actually Polish. Who else would know and care about this movie?

TheGlyphstone

When they launched Voyager into space, it had examples of math equations as the 'universal language'. They should have included a dictionary of profanity too.