News:

Main Menu

Video Game Nostolgia

Started by LunarSage, September 11, 2012, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Quote from: Kora on September 12, 2012, 09:28:47 AM
Metal Gear Solid
I think this one kinda goes without saying for those who played it. Psycho Mantis.
If theres one thing the metal gear series did perfect it was its boss battles

"Sooo... you like Suikoden!"   ;)

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Koren

Quote from: LunarSage on September 12, 2012, 09:40:53 AM

Oh man. That freaked me out before i figured out it was the memory card. Theres so much crap like that. I like the zone of the enders poster in the office were you fight cyborg ninja as well. Thats cool. Theres also a little playstation 1 console on one of the desks which is cool !

TentacleFan

Quote from: LunarSage on September 12, 2012, 09:40:53 AM

"I see you like Castlevania, Snake."

Good times. The original Metal Gear Solid was such an amazing game. I've enjoyed some of the others since but none touch it's level for me.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

Teo Torriatte

I don't think I had any Konami games on my memcard at the time... but I do remember him messing with my controller and stuff. That was pretty epic, heh.

Shjade

I would find it amusing if, lacking any other "recognizable" games, Mantis would say, "So you like Metal Gear Solid." And then proceed to KO himself through 4th-walling his own universe.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

TheGlyphstone

Ascendancy, the only classic 4X game that was within spitting distance of Masters of Orion II in quality. Damn you, Logic Factory, for forsaking your truly loyal fans in favor of Iphone users...

LunarSage

I'm very sad that they don't really make turn based RPGs anymore.  Everything is real time... blech.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Silverfyre

Quote from: LunarSage on September 13, 2012, 01:47:29 PM
I'm very sad that they don't really make turn based RPGs anymore.  Everything is real time... blech.

They are becoming an increasing rarity these days.  'Tis a sad state of affairs if you ask me. 

TheGlyphstone

The only developer I know of that even makes turn-based RPGs nowaways is Spiderweb Software.

Chris Brady

I admit preferring action RPGs, but a good turn based one would not go amiss in my library.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

I like turn-based, if only because it means I can run to take care of household/child-related/personal emergencies between actions.  XD
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chris Brady

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Arohk

I completely agree. You can't imagine how sad I was when they stopped making Final Fantasy a turn-based RPG. I loved everything about it before that time. Aside from some of the stories; but that's for a different thread. :P

Other than Pokemon, which can scarcely be considered the same kind of RPG let's say... As Final Fantasy VII; I don't see a lot of really awesome turn-based RPGs.

They were some of the best.

*mourns*

Zorak

What about going even FURTHER back... (now I'm gonna prove my age)...

ZORK for my //e was a favorite, so was

wait for it...

STAR TREK....

the ORIGINAL game...

command>  M
course > 3.5
warp factor > .5

### 320 UNIT HIT ON ENTERPRISE FROM SECTOR 3,4 ###
### 15 UNIT HIT ON ENTERPRISE FROM SECTOR 5,7 ###

command > T
course > 1.3

TORPEDO TRACK 1.1, 1.2, 1.3
*** HIT ***
KLINGON AT SECTOR 3,4 DESTROYED

command > M
course > 4.6
warp factor > 1

*** ENGINES SHUT DOWN AT SECTOR 5,7 ***
*** YOU COLLIDED WITH A STAR ***
*** NICE DRIVING STUPID ***

*** WARP ENGINES DAMAGED ***
*** PHASERS DAMAGED ***
*** IMPULSE ENGINES DAMAGED ***
*** DAMAGE CONTROL DAMAGED ***

### 360 UNIT HIT ON ENTERPRISE FROM SECTOR 5,7 ###

THE ENTERPRISE HAS BEEN DESTROYED.
THE REMAINING 8 KLINGONS WILL OVERRUN THE GALAXY.
NICE JOB.

DO YOU WANT TO PLAY AGAIN? >

Oniya

Was that before or after they started including the ASCII maps?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Chris Brady

Part of the issue with turn based games, especially fantasy based ones, we're in the animations.  And especially the 32 bit and later eras.  If you had a fighter you pushed a button and they went dashing in with a single slash and jumped back.  But once your Mage/Summoner/Attack Cleric was up, you pushed the button, and suddenly lights flash, beautiful colours and sparkles, or a bunch of other special effects go off for maybe up to a minute or two, and the you're back to the Fighter(s).  Push a button, watch it slash, end of turn.

And that's just the players' side, some monsters, most notably the bosses had their own suite of glowies and sparkles.

Zorak

Quote from: Oniya on September 13, 2012, 04:12:27 PM
Was that before or after they started including the ASCII maps?

I didn't feel like drawing them  :-\

Zorak

Does anybody remember killing the evil wizard WERDNA with your TILTOWAIT spell and a BLADE 'd CUISINART ?

Sasquatch421

Let's see I still have my Intellivision.... Does that count? Some games I remember would be the old Teenage Mutant Turtles and the X-Men arcade games (I jumped at them when they hit X-Box Live), The Simpsons claimed many of my quarters.... Gauntlet Legends, Golden Axe... *sighs* I miss the old arcades.... I didn't get another console until I picked up my PS1 and from there.... Bloody Roar, Gex, Castlevania SOTN..... RPGs my favs of all time are still Lunar: The Silver Star Story and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue.... Then there is Grandia....

Zorak

I'm a child of the 80s... I miss the arcades...  that "sound" they made - it was unique, and there's nothing quite like it.  Not like arcades sound like today - different... special...  It was the sound made when you put the REAL games together...

Battlezone... Asteroids... missile command, pac man, moon patrol, berserk, centipede, joust, tron, tetris, arkanoid, galaga, defender, xevious, star castle, phoenix, gorf, robotron....

ahhh....those were the days...

Sasquatch421

They were weren't they? Then there were the time when yo would just there and watch when the people that were awesome at the game killing all challengers and you would put your quarter up to claim next..... Now that I think of it Crusin' USA claimed a lot of my money as well as Virtua Fighter II and Bubble Bobble... I also remember a Ghostbuster's arcade game as well... Then you get one of the best Ghost's N' Goblin's or Ghoul's and Ghost's....

Oniya

Quote from: Zorak on September 13, 2012, 04:39:30 PM
Does anybody remember killing the evil wizard WERDNA with your TILTOWAIT spell and a BLADE 'd CUISINART ?

I remember questing for the amulet of Yendor and avoiding Aquatars.

Zorak

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on September 13, 2012, 07:49:17 PM
They were weren't they? Then there were the time when yo would just there and watch when the people that were awesome at the game killing all challengers and you would put your quarter up to claim next..... Now that I think of it Crusin' USA claimed a lot of my money as well as Virtua Fighter II and Bubble Bobble... I also remember a Ghostbuster's arcade game as well... Then you get one of the best Ghost's N' Goblin's or Ghoul's and Ghost's....

I was never good at Ghoul's aand Ghosts... but I LOVED that game...

And before Crusin USA... there was...

SPY HUNTER !!!!

That music... the oil slicks... and side-swiping motor-cycles and running them off the road!  Now THERE was a driving game!

Oh yeah... and that evil chuckle that SINI-STAR made!  AWESOME!

Oniya

Frozen Flame

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 13, 2012, 04:13:56 PM
Part of the issue with turn based games, especially fantasy based ones, we're in the animations.  And especially the 32 bit and later eras.  If you had a fighter you pushed a button and they went dashing in with a single slash and jumped back.  But once your Mage/Summoner/Attack Cleric was up, you pushed the button, and suddenly lights flash, beautiful colours and sparkles, or a bunch of other special effects go off for maybe up to a minute or two, and the you're back to the Fighter(s).  Push a button, watch it slash, end of turn.

And that's just the players' side, some monsters, most notably the bosses had their own suite of glowies and sparkles.

It took me a while to appreciate turn-based games. I love them, though I always preferred the ones with monsters you could SEE. Those random battles and high encounter rates feel too much like customer service :P