News:

Main Menu

Video Game Nostolgia

Started by LunarSage, September 11, 2012, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arohk

About the turn-based- definitely. I mean, look at FFVIII with all of those damnable unskippable summon scenes. I appreciate what they did, and I know it was hard to come up with that but good God. I remember getting so frustrated with them that I started to boycott summoning them. XD

Another one which wasn't really all that popular but I played quite a bit when I was young was Worms. And Roller Coaster Tycoon. I loved both of those to death before.

More and more keep coming back to me thanks to me thinking about this thread. It's awesome. 8D

Teo Torriatte

Quote from: Frozen Flame on September 13, 2012, 11:56:10 PM
It took me a while to appreciate turn-based games. I love them, though I always preferred the ones with monsters you could SEE. Those random battles and high encounter rates feel too much like customer service :P

*giggles* That is a really interesting analogy, but now that you mention it...

Standing behind the counter, minding my own business, when suddenly a wild angry customer appears!

Uses fake smile attack and pretends to give a shit. It's super effective!

Zorak

PETER GUNN!

Thank you for posting!  I had a sudden urge to get in my car and drive down the road wiping out people on motorcycles though, so I needed to take a few deep cleansing breaths.

There were other great games where you were doing some...um... negative things...

Anyone remember playing a game called CHILLER ?

LunarSage

A slime appears!

You attack!  Critical hit!  Oustanding!

The slime has been defeated.  You receive 2 experience and find 3 gold!

*cue victory music*

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Koren

Actually one thing that I miss with the old games was the creativity

Mortal Kombat for example having video captured fights imported in with spirtes and claymation. That was just awesome and so clever for back then. i like stuff like that, when they actually think and dont just go for the obvious route and style.
Space Invaders being the first to impliment music and continuous sound for example

Zorak

and then the games started talking...

The scripts were SO well written....

INTRUDER ALERT....

GET THE HUMANOID....

GOT THE INTRUDER....

Aleph

Quote from: Oniya on September 11, 2012, 03:39:15 PM
Let's see - I have a soft spot for the old Infocom text games (I grew up with an Apple ][+ - we didn't have many games) and the original Lemmings.

Oh yes, from Zork to Bureacracy :) I think the best game purchase I ever made was Activision "Complete Infocom" Set.

Um - anyone remember Lode Runner (Broderbund) and Jumpman (Epyx)?

Epyx and Broderbund...wow, now that takes me back...

LunarSage

Awww crap.  What was that game where there were 5 or 6 tanks on a hilly terrain (side view) and you had to take out the other tanks by calculating angle and power?

I loved that game back in the day.

Teo Torriatte

My two favorite games from Infocom were Leather Goddesses of the Phobos and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I loved how in LGotP, you were genderless until you went into one of the bathrooms in the bar, and that determined what your gender was after that.

And HGttG was just awesome.

I do remember Jumpman and Lode Runner as well, I played the crap out of both of those on my Commie 64.

Anyone remember Karateka? What about Prince of Persia? And following that vein, two of my favorite games derived from those were Out of this World(Another World to people outside of NA) and Flashback.

Quote from: LunarSage on September 15, 2012, 09:48:05 AM
Awww crap.  What was that game where there were 5 or 6 tanks on a hilly terrain (side view) and you had to take out the other tanks by calculating angle and power?

I loved that game back in the day.

Scorched Earth?

LunarSage

Quote from: Luna on September 15, 2012, 09:51:26 AM
Scorched Earth?

No, I believe Scorched Earth came later.  This was the original game.  I cannot remember it's name for the life of me...

Silverfyre

LunarSage

Ah!  That was it.  Thank you, Silverfyre.  :-)

Silverfyre

My pleasure.  I used to play that game like crazy. That and Battlezone, the wireframe tank combat game.

Zorak

Who remembers Beagle Bros Software? 

They used have these psychotic guru people who would write games in two lines of basic code - rumor was, if you got published, they gave you a t-shirt and a years supply of their special Magnetic Write Protect Tabs :)

LunarSage

Sam and Max!

"I'm not a rabbit!  I'm a lagomorph!  (Look it up, kids!)"

Oh ad Maniac Mansion.  Day of the Tentacle was AWESOME!  ;D

Frozen Flame

I love Maniac Mansion. Moreso as an adult than I did as a kid though :P

I read about the NES version in Nintendo Power. That weekend (I think I was 8 years old at the time,) my parents let me pick a game to rent from Blockbuster... I wanted to try Castelvania III, but they were out of it. So, I picked Maniac Mansion, and...

I had no idea what the hell I was doing. I was more clueless than Paris Hilton at a turntable! More frustrated than John Frusciante playing the intro to one his band's best songs that he inexplicably hates.

Many, many years later I played the Adventure Game Studio remake and thought "Ohhh, so THAT's what I was supposed to be doing."

Zorak

Once video games required more than one joystick and 2 buttons, I gave up...

I'm an 8-bit gamer I suppose... once the concept of a "combo move" occurs, I'm completely lost.

I DO, however, have an atari style "controller" that has a few of the 2600 games built into - my nephews, with their Nintendo NESs and iPods and X-Boxes can't even BEGIN to figure out how to kill the dragon in "Adventure", or even get past 1 level Super Breakout ... and that DOES make me feel a little better.

Our games many not have been as slick looking as the ones today, but HELL they were damned hard!

Koren

This is a weird one but I remembered it today

When you could charge your game boy in the cigerette lighter of your car with the portable charger.

Geeklet

While it may not be quite as old as some of the other games listed here, I recently went through my old game CDs and loaded up Beyond Good & Evil. Vastly under-appreciated (I refuse to say under-rated, as it got many good reviews, its just not many actually bought it). Its nothing overly hard or complicated, just a lot of different elements blended together in just the right fashion to make a good adventure-ish sort of game. The soundtrack is amazing and just... yeah.

Jag

First game I ever played was at my Grandma's house. She has been basically locked in her house for as long as I could remember because of disabilities. Other than being an awesome grandmother, the one thing I can remember her being is a kick-ass video gamer. She always has the newest games and the newest consoles. She has played on pretty much every system that has ever come out. For Christmas every year, I could always expect at least one game and a system from her. When she decided I was old enough to hold a controller, she put me in front of her NES and turned on the original Castlevania game for me.

That game will always hold a special place in my heart. My Grandma sitting next to me on her bed while I button smashed my way through the castle. Her laughing when I would get so excited about killing the lowest level of monsters.

As I got older, she gave me more complex games. I even helped her make a homemade strategy guide for Dark Cloud when it first came out. I went over to her house almost every day for months just so we could see how many weapons we could make for each character, make little maps of the different ways the towns could be arranged, what arrangement of the towns got you rewards, the best places to level weapons, etc...I think she still has that little guide we made sitting in her closet somewhere. It's huge. Like several giant binders full of papers.

Ah memories...
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

TheGlyphstone

Oooh, that reminds me....I was a little tiny kid, and whenever I went to my aunt's house with my parents, she would let me play Pipe Mania on her computer.

Silverfyre

That's one awesome grandmother, Michi.  My step-mother's mom, who I have thought of as one of my grandmothers since day one, is a lot like that.  She used to sit me down at her computer and we'd play through Sierra games together, like the various ____ 's Quest games and other puzzle games.  Good times. 

Zorak

My grandmother is in hell getting anal sex from Hitler, and spent her time while alive complaining about how much noise I was making, and asking why there were kids in the yard that wouldn't get out....

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Luna on September 15, 2012, 09:51:26 AM
My two favorite games from Infocom were Leather Goddesses of the Phobos and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I loved how in LGotP, you were genderless until you went into one of the bathrooms in the bar, and that determined what your gender was after that.

And HGttG was just awesome.

And available to play online here

http://pot.home.xs4all.nl/infocom/
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Saerrael

Boulder Dash on the Atari 800XL. Makes me kinda sad, now, because my father decided to throw away the Atari instead of giving it to me. *siiighs*
I played other games back then, too, but Boulder Dash will always be my favourite old game.