News:

Main Menu

Video Game Nostolgia

Started by LunarSage, September 11, 2012, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVBill

lol, indeed.  I will be spending money on that site this evening.  A shame I have to a 16 1/2 hour shift tomorrow.
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of men.."

Geeklet

Quote from: HVBill on September 30, 2012, 06:09:51 PM
Thief: The Dark project:  My favorite first person stealth based game ever.  You were a thief and went on stealing things and the sequal was just as good.  Story was great and surprising, graphics at the time were excellent and the game even had some humor in it.

The third one in the series is great too, albeit somewhat different. Adds in a bit of a free roaming element, which sometimes works, sometimes doesnt. But it also contains the creepiest level I have ever played in any video game by far. On my first play through, I had to stop mid level, and didn't pick it up again until a couple years later, and was still dreading it. Shalebridge Cradle...

Teo Torriatte

Creepier than the dream sequence in Max Payne or the Escher art-ant warrior level in Matrix: Path of Neo?

Geeklet

Yes, and I dont know (Never played the Matrix game).

As much as I want to sit here and explain just how good it is, I also don't wanna give away any spoilers.

Teo Torriatte

Ohh.. you meant creepy, in a good sense? Mine were examples of parts I just thought were too f***ed up mostly in a bad way, heh.

TheEversong

Odd to find a thread on this after someone just yesterday handed me a copy of the original Megaman X and X4. I never got real into the original Megaman series until long after they stopped really making them but X was amazing. I just spent almost an hour relistening to some of the music from the series and I could distinctly remember just how absurdly frustraiting Sigma was as a boss when I was around nine.

Even going back and replaying X4 now Sigma was by far the most difficult thing in the game. I breezed through the other Robot Masters like nothing.

And don't get me started on the silly amounts of JRPG's I played as a kid.

On a different note: I always wanted to play Baldur's Gate 2, did I hear correctly that they are rereleasing it sometime soon?

Geeklet

Well, they are doing Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, which is the first game (though including some content from the second game, class kits, etc). And if that is successful, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them do BG2.

However, if you want the original versions, there is always gog.com

Chris Brady

I...  Didn't care much for Baldur's Gate 2.  They changed so much of the characters in ways that the 'Fans' wanted them to, but I never did.

Everyone got Dynaheir killed for example, or changed Imoen into a mage.  And killed off Jahera's husband what's his name.  I hated Jahera, for the record, so I got them out of the party as fast I could.  And I never understood why everyone complained Dyna kept getting the party killed.  I played a Fighter, and I kept everyone back until her payload was delivered.  Boom, then send everyone else and clean up.  But apparently, everyone else sucked at playing D&D.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Zorak

All this stuff you're talking about is way too complicated for me.

I'm more nostalgic for stuff like HUNT THE WUMPUS, or ZORK.

yeah...
I'm way old...
*sigh*

- Z

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 04, 2012, 01:36:16 AM
I...  Didn't care much for Baldur's Gate 2.  They changed so much of the characters in ways that the 'Fans' wanted them to, but I never did.

Everyone got Dynaheir killed for example, or changed Imoen into a mage.  And killed off Jahera's husband what's his name.  I hated Jahera, for the record, so I got them out of the party as fast I could.  And I never understood why everyone complained Dyna kept getting the party killed.  I played a Fighter, and I kept everyone back until her payload was delivered.  Boom, then send everyone else and clean up.  But apparently, everyone else sucked at playing D&D.

I've never met anyone who relied on the AI scripts for the characters in BGI or BGII....but I do remember Dynaheir being irritating because if something went wrong and she died (mages are squishy, particularly at those low levels), Minsc would flip his lid and kill half your party. Jaheria does suck as a 'romance' option, the only reason they killed off Khalid was to make her 'available'. Imoen....meh - sure, she's a mage with a bit of thiefing, but thieves really suck in BG2 anyways, all you need them for is Find Traps since Invisibility is Stealth+ and most boss monsters are backstab-proof. The others, Edwin and Viconia, are pretty much unchanged - Edwin is as delightfully awesome as he always was.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Zorak on October 04, 2012, 06:07:45 AM
All this stuff you're talking about is way too complicated for me.

I'm more nostalgic for stuff like HUNT THE WUMPUS, or ZORK.

yeah...
I'm way old...
*sigh*

- Z

That's okay.. I make 'stab it with the nasty knife' comments all the time.

Oniya

It's very dark.  You might get eaten by a grue.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on October 06, 2012, 12:35:52 AM
It's very dark.  You might get eaten by a grue.

One of my favorite moments in Zork was after like two minutes of trying to kill the damn troll with the knife the game goes 'Shoving aside all thoughts of supernatural protection, the troll slaps aside your thrusting blade and stabbed you dead.' (exepct the description was much more intricate and well.. long.)

Zorak

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 06, 2012, 01:17:33 AM
One of my favorite moments in Zork was after like two minutes of trying to kill the damn troll with the knife the game goes 'Shoving aside all thoughts of supernatural protection, the troll slaps aside your thrusting blade and stabbed you dead.' (exepct the description was much more intricate and well.. long.)

Yeah... there's something about at "text adventure" that you just can't find in this hotshot, first person shooter / whatever kinda stuff they have these days.  You could explore the universe without having to have the hand-eye coordination of a Navy fighter pilot...

And we can still enjoy them : http://pot.home.xs4all.nl/infocom/  <--- They're all right there!

- Z

tozhma

NES had this really fun little noir game called Nightshade which did not ever allow you to save in any form. You had to beat the game in the three lives you were given, and infer things like how to escape death and earn a retry etc. It was incredibly frustrating, yet altogether captivating as well. I have no idea how many hours we sank into that and still never beat it.

LunarSage

How's this for some video game commercial nostalgia?  I loved this commercial.

Jet Moto 2 Playstation commercial (US)

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Koren

This isn't a game, but here in australia we have the Game Masters exhibition and that is just a nostalgia fest.

They had an original donkey king machine. An ORIGINAL!

And playing MGS1 on the original ps1 controller, without the joysticks, wow was that weird.

BUt awesome. So fricken awesome at the same time

ManyMindsManyVoices

"My game nostalgia just makes me wish someone would take old games and really remake them (not just take the game and port it over to a handheld). I'd love an Action-RPG of FFVI or a Chrono Trigger that doesn't bore me to death. I love Chrono Trigger, mind you, I just hate turn-based games nowadays, at least turn-based RPGs. If something's going to be turn based, I need to be able to strategize, have options, something to actually think about each turn."

"Old Megaman games make me feel nostalgic. I dunno, not much else, I appreciate how far we've come with games because I like vast seas of choices."

"Can I have nostalgia for concepts in the industry? Probably better not... Then it'll just be me bitching about some shitty current game practices. I'll stick with old style RPG stories as my nostalgia."

"Oh, and sprites, because I liked messing with sprite sheets and I loved Bob and George."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

Mister Grimm

Mmmm, I can't remember most of the games I have played, but the ones I love the most were the ones I had for N64, game boy (pocket, color and gba) and a few old NES games. I think the first game I every played was The Legend of Zelda for NES when I was like... 4. I was told that I played it before I was 4, but I have no real memory of doing it aside from stories. //born gamer

But every now and then I get this really strong urge to play the the games I did when I was a kid. Zelda: OoT (and all the other zelda games that came out before and since then), Body Harvest, Harvest Moon 64, the Paper Mario's (also Super Mario RPG) and most of the older Fire Emblem games. Now I want to play them again. //sighs
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Oniya

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on October 25, 2012, 03:09:59 AM
"Oh, and sprites, because I liked messing with sprite sheets and I loved Bob and George."

I like sprites, too.  There's a certain art to taking a small amount of space and making it into a recognizable - even iconic character.  It's hard enough to do that with a static image, and then you incorporate movement!  Serious wow.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sasquatch421

I was on Youtube listening to the OST for P.N.03 off the old Game Cube before I realized that I would love a sequel or remake of it.... All it needed was better story, because the gameplay was addictive and fun....

P.N.03 Blade Techno Opener

Chris Brady

Ahem.  MEEEEYAOW!  Now there's a game that was blatant.  Man, I miss that game.  Product Number 03.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Slywyn

My very first video game was way back when. Math Blaster I think it was? Way back when for me, at least. Not so much you guys. It was on the PC, at the first home we had that I remember(it was a trailer).

From there came the PS1, though I used to go over to a friend's house and play his Nintendo like crazy, as the first console I owned.

I remember MGS, Legend of the Dragoon(love that game) and a bunch of the demo discs that we got through the playstation magazine. I'm pretty sure my sisters and I played the demo discs more than some full games we owned.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Slywyn on November 25, 2012, 09:09:55 AM
My very first video game was way back when. Math Blaster I think it was? Way back when for me, at least. Not so much you guys. It was on the PC, at the first home we had that I remember(it was a trailer).

From there came the PS1, though I used to go over to a friend's house and play his Nintendo like crazy, as the first console I owned.

I remember MGS, Legend of the Dragoon(love that game) and a bunch of the demo discs that we got through the playstation magazine. I'm pretty sure my sisters and I played the demo discs more than some full games we owned.

Oh man, I remember playing Math Blaster.

Sasquatch421

I remember having Number Munchers or something close to that name in grade school. My first system I still have and it is the ol' Intellivision sitting by it's lonesome because I'm not sure if any of these newer TV's will still hook up with it.