News:

Main Menu

Video Game Nostolgia

Started by LunarSage, September 11, 2012, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Sasquatch421

Yup, and the good thing is I can play all I want without quarters! There is the 6 man online co-op as well... Ah the fighting.... I don't wanna be Dazzler you play as her! No man I'm Nightcrawler!

LunarSage

Are you kidding?  Dazzler was hella powerful in that game.  O.O

Sasquatch421

I liked playing as all of them, but there were quite a few that didn't like Dazzler. I just never could quite get past the losing health for using you mutant power part. I know they had to do something to make it a little harder, but still...

While I'm thinking of arcade games (yet again... I wonder where my free time was spent?) The Simpsons arcade game was another that I loved... Then standing in line when we got Mortal Kombat....

LunarSage

The stores got the Super NES and Sega Genesis versions of Mortal Kombat on a Monday.  I distinctly remember the ads calling it "Mortal Monday".

The Kinkster

Seeing as you guys really seem to miss most of these games; the snes and nes ones, I wonder if you've ever heard about

http://snesbox.com/

Play your favorite snes games online, and even nes ones.
O:)

Hemingway

I grew up with games like Dune 2, Command & Conquer, Warcraft 2 and Daggerfall ( Now that I list them like that, it's a wonder I turned out even remotely okay ;D ) but those games are all quite close to the PS1 / N64 generation of consoles, which I think in some ways marks the beginning of modern games.

Before that, however, we had a Sega Master System. I used to love the Asterix game for that, and also games like Altered Beast and Taz-Mania. And ... SpellCaster! That's the game! I could never figure that one out. Which really is no wonder at all, considering I must've been something like 4 years old when I played these games.

Chris Brady

Quote from: The Kinkster on September 18, 2012, 07:24:21 PM
Seeing as you guys really seem to miss most of these games; the snes and nes ones, I wonder if you've ever heard about

Awesome!  Bookmarked!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Arohk

Not to try and 1-Up you (haha), but there is a site that has NES, SNES, Gameboy, soon to be the Sega collection, DOS, and some other old stuff. I'll stick the link in the spoiler since I know that we aren't technically supposed to slap links on posts in the forum. Hope that is acceptable.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Kailen

Oniya

Quote from: Kailen on September 19, 2012, 05:45:11 PM
CLAW!

Oh my, you wonderful being! Thank youuu!

;D  I find things.  It's what I do.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kailen

That seriously made my evening. I was like a kid at Christmas.

Now I just need to get hold of the game...

Observing Trifles

Quote from: The Kinkster on September 18, 2012, 07:24:21 PM

Quote from: Arohk on September 18, 2012, 11:53:07 PM
Not to try and 1-Up you (haha), but there is a site that has NES, SNES, Gameboy, soon to be the Sega collection, DOS, and some other old stuff. I'll stick the link in the spoiler since I know that we aren't technically supposed to slap links on posts in the forum. Hope that is acceptable.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Bookmarked both. Thanks for sharing!
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

VonDoom

Not quite as old as some of the games mentioned here, but:

Planescape: Torment. Can't begin to describe just how awesome this game is.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Teo Torriatte

Quote from: VonDoom on September 30, 2012, 05:01:48 AM
Not quite as old as some of the games mentioned here, but:

Planescape: Torment. Can't begin to describe just how awesome this game is.

Mm hmm definitely. I overlooked it at first, because you play a set character, but the story and characters are truly amazing. I never did finish it, tho. I have a problem actually staying interested in a game long enough to finish it, heh.

Sabby

Quote from: LunarSage on September 13, 2012, 01:47:29 PM
I'm very sad that they don't really make turn based RPGs anymore.  Everything is real time... blech.

You might like the Grandia series. Can't speak for Grandia 1, but 2 and 3 are very clever real time/turn based hybrids.

HVBill

Hah!  What a fantastic topic.  I love talking to a few buddies at work about the old games.  I was never big on console games, though I did play some.  The older games that I was always more excited about and enjoyed more of would have to be my old computer games.  In no particular order, here are a few.

Seven Kingdoms:  This is a real time strategy game that I used to play every day after school and I loved it.  I even had a windows 98 computer built for me so I could run this game without issues.  The computer eventually crapped out for reasons I do not recall.  The game involved seven different races that you could choose to play as and involved resource management, trading, diplomacy and subterfuge.  It was pretty involved and even had a great musical score and monsters to slay, huzza!

Sea Dogs:  My favorite pirate sim ever.  The ships and water looked beautiful, the trading aspect was great.  The game had some minor glitches and there were some issues with the flow of the roleplay stories involved, but I could just sail about trading and taking vessels.

Thief: The Dark project:  My favorite first person stealth based game ever.  You were a thief and went on stealing things and the sequal was just as good.  Story was great and surprising, graphics at the time were excellent and the game even had some humor in it.

Might and Magic:  I simply loved exploring the massive maps with all of the monsters and hidden things to interact with.....such a fun game.

Anyone play these and enjoy them as well?  Hahaha, I remember reading a gaming magazine and seeing a full two-page screen shot that was printed as an add for the brand new Age of Empires series.  I was so excited. hahahaha.
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of men.."

Oniya

Quote from: HVBill on September 30, 2012, 06:09:51 PM
Might and Magic:  I simply loved exploring the massive maps with all of the monsters and hidden things to interact with.....such a fun game.

Anyone play these and enjoy them as well?  Hahaha, I remember reading a gaming magazine and seeing a full two-page screen shot that was printed as an add for the brand new Age of Empires series.  I was so excited. hahahaha.

I'm currently working my way through the original, then on to the rest of the series.  Mr. Oniya is jealous because it won't work on Windows 7. ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

HVBill

I have been debating having another '98 computer built for me and raiding ebay for some old games.  They're just so much fun!

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on September 30, 2012, 06:11:52 PM
I'm currently working my way through the original, then on to the rest of the series.  Mr. Oniya is jealous because it won't work on Windows 7. ;D

www.GoG.com (Also known as Good Old Games) probably has a functioning copy, and it's likely to be reasonably cheap.  No more than 10 bucks (guessing.)  They specialize in updating old games so that they work with new code, including old DOS based games.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Quote from: HVBill on September 30, 2012, 06:23:25 PM
I have been debating having another '98 computer built for me and raiding ebay for some old games.  They're just so much fun!

I'm upgraded as far as XP - wasn't about to go Vista, and then found out that certain programs I have won't work on Win7, so I'm just staying put.

HVBill

Yeah...*pouty face*....my laptop has 7......

Chris, that site is fantastic.

HVBill

I had forgotten all about Lords of the Realm.  I loved that series, used to play it all the time.  Very interesting resource management.  Turn based strategy games are so hard to get right, and with that one Sierra nailed it.

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 30, 2012, 06:24:10 PM
www.GoG.com (Also known as Good Old Games) probably has a functioning copy, and it's likely to be reasonably cheap.  No more than 10 bucks (guessing.)  They specialize in updating old games so that they work with new code, including old DOS based games.

Thanks a heap, Chris!  They do indeed have the 6-pack of the originals, and claim that it'll work on Win7!

Chris Brady

No problem.  And it should word, it's what they do.