News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 22, 2015, 11:41:44 AM
Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. At first I wasn't sure he could pull it off, now can't think of anyone else who could pull off the character like he did.

Rebecca Romijn as Mystique

Michelle Pfieffer as Selena Kyle/Catwoman was the best portrayal so far on the silver screen. No one has come close to pulling off the character with the same intensity and seductive quality the character had in the comics.

Erica Durance as Lois Lance really brought the character to life. Though my favorite is still Margot Kidder. I watched the Christopher Reeves movies as a kid. Christopher Reeves will always be Superman. Coming in close second in a tie are Brandon Routh and Tom Welling for Clark Kent/superman.

Tie between Michael Keaton and Christian Bale for Bruce Wayne/Batman for live action. Both embodied the character.

Kevin Conroy ultimate voice actor for Bruce Wayne/batman

Mark Hamill was the best Joker. Though Heath Ledger did a phenomenal job portraying a darker version of the character.

Jensen Ackels as Jason Todd/Red Hood in the animated movie Batman: Under the Red Hood

There are just so many awesome actors who have played various superheroes or villains to name. Look at the animated series all the well known actors who have brought so many to life with their voices like Michael Ironside, Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor, John Rhys-Davies, Morena Baccarin, Amy Acker, Nathan Fillion, Michael T. Weiss, Michael Rosenbaum as Flash and Deadshot, Adam Baldwin and more.

And Rosenbaum was Luthor on Smallville, and Clancy Brown was Eiling on The Flash. I love how actors share enough of a fondness for the art to continue to play a part in its screen adaptations.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CuriousEyes

Unrelated to anything y'all have been talking about - in fact, I'm sure I'm so late to the party that you've all moved on. But I did want to drop off a quick note that I finally watched Jessica Jones, and bar none David Tennant as Kilgrave was the best thing about the show.

I was thinking the other day it's funny how the Netflix shows (and AoS, to a degree) have seemed to take some degree of pleasure in "humanizing" the villains - giving them screen time to explain their motivations and desires. By the end of the season I was very conflicted on Kilgrave, because he's an amoral monster, but you can track it all the way back to things that weren't necessarily his fault. And even with that he still has desires that aren't so terribly far off from what any normal person has - the same could easily be considered to be true of Kingpin in Daredevil.

By comparison the movie villains are rather shallow - most are generally just interested in destruction seemingly for the sake of destruction. Which is a necessary evil in an experience that has to be wrapped in two hours versus twelve, but still.

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on December 24, 2015, 10:35:32 PM
Unrelated to anything y'all have been talking about - in fact, I'm sure I'm so late to the party that you've all moved on. But I did want to drop off a quick note that I finally watched Jessica Jones, and bar none David Tennant as Kilgrave was the best thing about the show.

I was thinking the other day it's funny how the Netflix shows (and AoS, to a degree) have seemed to take some degree of pleasure in "humanizing" the villains - giving them screen time to explain their motivations and desires. By the end of the season I was very conflicted on Kilgrave, because he's an amoral monster, but you can track it all the way back to things that weren't necessarily his fault. And even with that he still has desires that aren't so terribly far off from what any normal person has - the same could easily be considered to be true of Kingpin in Daredevil.

By comparison the movie villains are rather shallow - most are generally just interested in destruction seemingly for the sake of destruction. Which is a necessary evil in an experience that has to be wrapped in two hours versus twelve, but still.

I agree with you that he was the best thing about the show but that isn't saying much. Also the humanizing is always a nice touch with the non-big-screen villains like Kingpin, we appreciate them more as villains and don't consider them just throwaways. But I disliked how they went about it with his amorality
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
because he claims to not understand the difference between right and wrong but the fact that he can express the fact that he never knows whether anyone is doing anything because they want to or because they're under his control is total crap because it clearly showed he can ask somebody to answer questions honestly, and the fact that Jessica screams in his face that he raped her and he doesn't act surprised and horrified (which would be the reaction of someone who truly does not understand that what they were doing was wrong), and instead gets all pissy means he knew exactly how fucked up what he was doing to her. He may not understand love, sure enough, I'll but that for a dollar, but that he doesn't understand right or wrong? I call bullshit on that. So his actions can't be considered amoral, not truly. They are merely the result of a complete lack of love, and him being so desperate to feel it that he developed overly antagonistic attitudes towards anyone who even slightly rubbed him the wrong way, and why he was so obsessed with Jessica, because she, like him, had this unique condition of superiority to normal humans and to ever let her go, someone he had poured so much of his limited capacity to care for, was unthinkable. That was why he tried to recreate her childhood home and win her over without mind control. And him hiring that maid and cook instead of controlling them shows he understands what would be a moral way to have servants (he even points out that the cook had an alcohol problem and he was giving him a job when nobody else would). The very idea that he has any moral quandaries because of his condition would hold up until maybe part-way through puberty but he's not stupid, he obviously figured things out, so once he became an adult, that whole thing sailed. Not that the series needed any more bloating, but that particular aspect was a waste of time.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Beorning

Hey guys! Have you seen the first photos of Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange?

(taken from HorrorMovies.ca)

Also, the news is that Mads Mikkelsen *will* be playing this movie's main villain, whoever they are...

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on December 29, 2015, 06:14:13 AM
Hey guys! Have you seen the first photos of Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange?

(taken from HorrorMovies.ca)

Also, the news is that Mads Mikkelsen *will* be playing this movie's main villain, whoever they are...

Fuck me sideways! I didn't believe he could effectively pull off the look, but damn, they did a good job making it happen! I had thought only Luke Evans (Bard the Bowman, from the Hobbit trilogy) would be able to make it work so I was bummed when he didn't get picked (apparently he's pals with Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner, too, which would have made the whole Avengers universe more fun behind the scenes and at conventions) but I'm no longer disappointed in Cumberbatch being the one. Sure, I always knew his performance was going to crush it no matter what, it's just that with all the huge liberties they've been taking with casting Mordo and the Ancient One, I was concerned that Strange wasn't going to look quite right either, but now those fears are laid to rest. Bravo, Marvel, bravo.

Loving the way that magical energy is working, and that he's rocking the rune design style in that last pic, that should give his abilities a unique touch over something like Thor's lightning and Scarlet Witch's messy red stuff.

TheGlyphstone

I pictured him as older, but I guess that's a consequence of the casting really. He's certainly got the look, though his hair could be darker.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 29, 2015, 12:25:18 PM
I pictured him as older, but I guess that's a consequence of the casting really. He's certainly got the look, though his hair could be darker.

I'd also prefer the grey streaks be a little more prominent, but he can grow into it as he plays the part more over the years.

CaptainNexus616

Its kinda funny how the MCU now has both Sherlock (Cumberbatch) and Watson (Freeman) playing roles. One universe they are the two I just mentioned while in another they are Bilbo, Smaug, and Sauron (Cumberbatch did the voice for the Hobbit Trilogy to avoid confusion)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on December 31, 2015, 04:29:30 PM
Its kinda funny how the MCU now has both Sherlock (Cumberbatch) and Watson (Freeman) playing roles. One universe they are the two I just mentioned while in another they are Bilbo, Smaug, and Sauron (Cumberbatch did the voice for the Hobbit Trilogy to avoid confusion)

There was a thread on IMDB listing all the media referenced in the MCU that actually featured actors in the MCU (like Cap's list of stuff to catch up on having Star Wars on it, and Samuel L. Jackson plays Mace Windu AND Nick Fury, and Natalie Portman plays Padme and Jane Foster). Fun stuff like that is always there to be found. I'm sure it'll just get bigger as time goes by. Plus you forgot to mention Evangeline Lilly (Hope van Dyne) being Tauriel in the Hobbit Trilogy as well.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on December 31, 2015, 04:46:01 PM
Plus you forgot to mention Evangeline Lilly (Hope van Dyne) being Tauriel in the Hobbit Trilogy as well.

Damn you got me there.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Song

Personally, I don't find it too surprising... It seems in movie world there are a certain group of peoples who enjoy working together and do so over and over again. (Clooney, Wahlberg, Damon, Pitt?) Where when you see one of those names there, you can almost bet another of the group will be in the flick.
My RP requests: Join the Space gldiators in Requiem For Mankind

O/O

CaptainNexus616

I didn't find it surpising as so much as funny. In one universe they are brothers through bond and the subjects to tons of Slash fanfiction. In another one is trying to burn the other to a crisp. Then this MCU stuff.

To be fair I doubt Martin Freeman's role in Civil War is going to be a recurring one. He's a spectacular actor but it doesn't sound like his role will be that big so he probably wont run into Cumberbatch's Strange but I still just find it amusing is all.

Mathim

Quote from: Song on December 31, 2015, 04:54:14 PM
Personally, I don't find it too surprising... It seems in movie world there are a certain group of peoples who enjoy working together and do so over and over again. (Clooney, Wahlberg, Damon, Pitt?) Where when you see one of those names there, you can almost bet another of the group will be in the flick.

Yeah, like Seth Rogen's circle of friends, or Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter's dynamic duo.

Anyone see the new Deadpool trailer that dropped on Xmas? Awesome shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIM1HydF9UA

SapphireStar

According to a news article, Joss Whedon is done with the MCU in all forms. Apparently he is bowing out from everything. What does this mean for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

On another note, other news outlets are reporting that it is looking highly possible that Bucky might be taking over as Captain America since Sebastian Stan has signed on for a nine picture deal. But, they are not ruling out the possibilty of Falcon or a female character taking over as captain america. The M2 universe had a female version of Captain America called American Dream, who I believe was the daughter of Sharon Carter and Steve rogers.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 05, 2016, 01:52:32 PM
According to a news article, Joss Whedon is done with the MCU in all forms. Apparently he is bowing out from everything. What does this mean for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

On another note, other news outlets are reporting that it is looking highly possible that Bucky might be taking over as Captain America since Sebastian Stan has signed on for a nine picture deal. But, they are not ruling out the possibilty of Falcon or a female character taking over as captain america. The M2 universe had a female version of Captain America called American Dream, who I believe was the daughter of Sharon Carter and Steve rogers.

I think I read about her in the Spider-Girl comics. From what I read, she wasn't their offspring, or superpowered. Almost like if Black Widow just donned Cap-style clothing and threw a shield around. But then, wikipedia can be tampered with so I can't say it's 100% reliable what I read.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 05, 2016, 01:52:32 PM

That's really not surprising. To my understanding he was straight up miserable doing Age of Ultron with the Honest Trailer even saying "I think Joss Wheldon needs a hug."

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on January 05, 2016, 09:02:45 PM
That's really not surprising. To my understanding he was straight up miserable doing Age of Ultron with the Honest Trailer even saying "I think Joss Wheldon needs a hug."

That was after they said, "Guys, I think we...broke Joss Whedon." LOL, that sad little picture of him, so hilarious in its irony. But yeah, to think even a guy with a reputation like his, so beloved by the fan community still being bullied by the studio when he made the Avengers the success that it was. I mean, I have no doubt that Josh Trank's attempt at Fant4stic was just a complete misfire from the beginning and I don't believe for a minute that he 'had a really great movie we'll probably never see' but I would love to have seen what Joss could have done on AoU with no interference. I do want to hear him say the words in an interview, "Ultron would have grown more organically, before becoming twisted and sinister so it doesn't just come out of nowhere that he despises Tony Stark". Otherwise I think, as tragic as it sounds, that he may have lost some elementary screenwriting and character development skills over the years and that would not bode well if he did choose to stick around for anything in the future. But if he could say in an interview that he could have addressed a lot of the film's issues had the studio not given him so many restrictions, I'd feel that at least anything else he does in the future is still in good hands. I just hope the Russos keep up the good work with Civil War so we know them being handed the reins to the Avengers franchise is a good move. Since Civil War is basically an ensemble film anyway, this should give us a good indication that they'll be capable of handling Infinity War.

I hope we get some Iron Fist news soon. First they supposedly announced an actor, then it seems to have faded into the ether, now it's unclear whether they want to do it as a series or just a movie-length feature. I want some answers, even if they're not totally to my liking.

SapphireStar

Only info I've been able to find regarding Iron Fist is that they announced Scott Buck from Dexter is signed on to be showrunner/executive producer. Christopher Gorham from Covert Affairs could be an interesting casting choice to play Iron Fist. He was pretty capable doing action stunts on Covert Affairs.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 05, 2016, 10:13:19 PM
Only info I've been able to find regarding Iron Fist is that they announced Scott Buck from Dexter is signed on to be showrunner/executive producer. Christopher Gorham from Covert Affairs could be an interesting casting choice to play Iron Fist. He was pretty capable doing action stunts on Covert Affairs.

Have not heard of any of those people, got some homework to do now.

I saw a video on youtube a minute ago that had some seriously spoilerific (potentially) details about BvS. While they made me question whether that latest trailer did indeed basically spoil the whole story, if what was said in the video turns out to be true, I can conclude that while it wouldn't conform exactly to the trailer's spoilers, it still wouldn't be much of an improvement. Still not going to see it unless a handful of friends I trust recommend it strongly.

SapphireStar

I happened upon an article which speculated that Superman was actually the big bad of the movie. From the various trailers, there appears to be a lot more destruction of cityscapes between the heroes as well as with Doomsday. They also seem to be laying the groundwork for Darkcide to appear next. The massive battles and more devestating losses could be what Lex Luthor was planning all along and he uses that to turn the world against the heroes saying they are just as bad as the ones they fight.

Personally, I can not wait for Deadpool to hit the theaters next month. The last trailer that dropped online was Awesome!!! They already seem to be planning the sequel with potentially Cable appearing.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 05, 2016, 10:32:36 PM
I happened upon an article which speculated that Superman was actually the big bad of the movie. From the various trailers, there appears to be a lot more destruction of cityscapes between the heroes as well as with Doomsday. They also seem to be laying the groundwork for Darkcide to appear next. The massive battles and more devestating losses could be what Lex Luthor was planning all along and he uses that to turn the world against the heroes saying they are just as bad as the ones they fight.

Personally, I can not wait for Deadpool to hit the theaters next month. The last trailer that dropped online was Awesome!!! They already seem to be planning the sequel with potentially Cable appearing.

Holy crap, it didn't even hit me that it's only a month away! I wonder if it'll be too crazy to go see opening weekend...I hate when theaters are too overcrowded. I hope it gives a few nods to Apocalypse, even though it's supposed to be mostly focused just on 'Pool.

SapphireStar

The upcoming Legion tv show just got its first cast member. Rachel Keller has been cast as the main female lead, but they are keeping her character name and powers underwraps. Though it was let slip that the powers involve the human touch.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 07, 2016, 10:28:27 AM
The upcoming Legion tv show just got its first cast member. Rachel Keller has been cast as the main female lead, but they are keeping her character name and powers underwraps. Though it was let slip that the powers involve the human touch.

So this is the Fox network's X-Men based TV show? I would have thought they couldn't do that without Disney's permission since the usual jargon is that they only have domain over the X-Men cinematic universe. I can't imagine Marvel/Disney's lawyers not fighting this tooth and nail after the Fant4tsic fiasco. Unless the rumors were true that Fox sold/gave the right to that back in exchange for the X-Men TV deal, this isn't good news to me. With the X-Men movies, the track record is barely 50% good so I'm not sure I believe extending it to a TV universe or even just getting its own separate universe on TV is a step in the right direction.

SapphireStar

Fox still owns the rights to everything X-men as far as I know. An X-men based show isn't the first for Fox. Several years ago, they did a tv movie based on the Generation X group with the White Queen as the school's headmistress. The Legion tv show makes me wonder if it is a possible lead in to the Age of Apocalypse. In the comics, Legion had traveled back in time to try and kill Magneto, but Professor X jumped in the way which set off the events for AoA.

Only thing I can think up where they would negotiate would be over potential characters to be used. Look what happened with Scarlet Witch and quicksilver. Fox had used Quicksilver in one of their movies.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on January 07, 2016, 12:54:26 PM
Fox still owns the rights to everything X-men as far as I know. An X-men based show isn't the first for Fox. Several years ago, they did a tv movie based on the Generation X group with the White Queen as the school's headmistress. The Legion tv show makes me wonder if it is a possible lead in to the Age of Apocalypse. In the comics, Legion had traveled back in time to try and kill Magneto, but Professor X jumped in the way which set off the events for AoA.

Only thing I can think up where they would negotiate would be over potential characters to be used. Look what happened with Scarlet Witch and quicksilver. Fox had used Quicksilver in one of their movies.

They waited this long then to do something worthwhile with the TV stuff? Again, there's some major screws loose in the upper ranks of Fox.