Next-generation gaming console of choice?

Started by robitusinz, October 17, 2006, 03:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robitusinz

Was just wondering what the gamers among us are thinking about the next-gen consoles.

Personally, I'm going to be getting the Nintendo Wii.  While probably weaker on the adult games, I think Nintendo's new positionning strategy as a "family entertainment console" is going to produce some nice games I can share with my kids (good lord, my daughter's already 4!), plus, they'll have old NES, SNES and N64 games available for download...you just can't beat that at all.
I'm just a vanilla guy with a chocolate brain.

TonyWoods

I'm firmly behind the 360 despite my dislike towards Microsofts earlier attempt (namely the original Xbox) to break into the market.

In the past I've been a Sony boy through and through, but IMO they've really dropped the ball with the PS3 - coming out ridiculously late in Europe (whats new there, I know...), is going to cost a fortune and is loosing exclusive titles by the day to the 360. Admittedly there are a few games scheduled for the PS3 that I want, but while I am in the lucky position of having the resources to get one at launch, I refuse on principle to spend the ridiculous amount Sony are charging for it.

As for the Revolution (sorry, theres no way on Earth I'm calling it by the awful name Nintendo have given to it now), I've no doubt there will be a handful of games that I want for it (and by handful I mean no more than 5 if the Gamecube line up is anything to go by) but it can wait til its dropped in price too and I can pick it up second hand. Again, I refuse to pay full price for a console that I know I will most likely only buy a handful of games for - of which all will be the same franchise games I bought for the Gamecube, and before that the N64 (not that there is anything wrong with keeping a good franchise going of course).
Tony's Turn Ons - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=7198.0

We are such stuff
As dreams are made of, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep

kasen03

Well.. originally I was going to be going PS3 - but the long waits - the predicted exhubernt price coupled with seeing one that a co-worker had purchased (and brought into work) sold me.

I'm now a 360 owner.. I have several games although for the most part I'm too cheap to buy them at $70 when they come out, and there isn't enough market saturation for the used game market to be there yet.. so I mostly rent. :D

Yep..I'm cheap

On the console..I'm throughly impressed.  Not just by the games or the performance..but by all the little touches.  Like having the ability to turn on and turn off the console by the controller from my couch..not having to get up.

Plus I had recently picked up a surround sound..and out of the box comes with Composite cables.. so.. it's VERRRY PURDY!!!

Gamewise there are some hits and misses.  I think Oblivion is quite good.. same with Dead Rising.  And my latest eye candy - Just Cause - is quite good even though it's a port from the Xbox (I think)

MagicalPen

Yeah, i agree with what has been said. PS3 is too expensive, and well overdue. dropping $600 on the console (no point getting the $500 version since you cant upgrade it like you can the 360) not to mention each game is going to cost a fortune. So instead i traded in my PS2 and all its components for around $275 (yay for the extra $10 per 3 non wrestling/sports games) and got the XBOX 360 Pro Bundle for approx $125. Got Madden 07 and Advanced Warfighter Used (approx 50$ each - eek) and Dead Rising for full price. Expensive, yes, but the prices will drop some when PS3 comes out.

The Nintendo Wii is a good idea, but like the gamecube (which i bought but hardly played) there arent enough games - or good ones - to make it worthwhile. Unlike the PS or Xbox, it cant double as a DVD Player (important for me) so its doubly bad.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Hermes

Well, I've always had a PlayStation. Having said that, I won't pay the ridiculous release price. On my first birthday/Christmas after its release, I'll take a look at everything out there and see what is best for what I want (as very much a part time gamer). I am leaning towards Sony due to past experience, but it depends a lot on how soon and how far the price drops.

PhoenixBlaze

In the past I have switched from system to system, though sometime I wish sega hadn't fucked up and still made sustems as well, my original sega genesis was the damn bomb. I have a few systems actually, gamecube, x box, ps2, x box 360, and dreamcast. Each has their own ups and downs, and the only gripe I have with 360 so far is the lack of games, but hopefully it will get better.

Price really isn't a issue for me, I make good money, not a millionaire or anything but I do well I think. Plus I have been saving dough since ps2 and x box came out so I have plenty, but I will most likely buy both because I have a kid now as well, and the wii will be for him I guess and some for me. I admit PS3 is damned expensive, but they have some exclusive games that I love and refuse to give up, like devil may cry, metal gear solid, final fantasy stuff like that.

So basically in conclusion I think the 360 is indeed the best right now despite their lack of games. I also think sony really fucked up with the whole blue ray disc shit, which is total bullshit and too much cost.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4449.0

In this world, there are things you want, people you need, moments you remember, feelings you forget, but when it all boils down, all we need is love.

MagicalPen

I disagree. XBOX 360 is still relatively new. They are releasing a bunch of new games on NOV 7th (in time for Holiday season of course and shortly before PS3) including the first game built exclusively for the 360 - Gears of War. Each system (as time shows) gets its own exclusive games, but the big ones i am looking at (Army of Two for instance) come out for both. PS3 games are listed as $75 or so also, so they are right up there with the 360, whereas the console itself is nearly twice as much as the 360, getting an extra wireless controller will be 50$ and mem card will be 25$. Too expensive for the average gamer i think. the 360 marketing at this point is much better. Both versions (core and pro) are fully upgradeable (as opposed to the two versions of PS3) the graphics are amazing, the controller is perfectly sized, and the games being released all look and play amazingly.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games