Scientists find bugs (bacteria) that eat waste and excrete petrol

Started by Oniya, October 25, 2008, 01:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Moondazed

If only they could find bugs that eat the pollution that burning oil spews into the environment ;)  That's pretty cool, though.  I have to say that the idea of genetic engineering gives me pause, and not in a good way, but it's nonetheless interesting.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Oniya

I found the bit about the excreted oil being 'carbon negative' to be particularly noteworthy.  It's not exactly the same as the stuff we pull out of the ground.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Storiwyr

Quote from: moondazed on October 25, 2008, 01:50:29 PM
If only they could find bugs that eat the pollution that burning oil spews into the environment ;)  That's pretty cool, though.  I have to say that the idea of genetic engineering gives me pause, and not in a good way, but it's nonetheless interesting.

There's actually been a good deal of success with using bacteria to clean up pollution. Bioremediation is pretty cool.:

http://water.usgs.gov/wid/html/bioremed.html
Lords, get to know me before you snuggle all over me. Sorry, but I get a little anxious! Ladies and Lieges, cuddles are always welcome, read my O/O for more detailed info.
"There's no need to argue anymore. I gave all I could, but it left me so sore. And the thing that makes me mad, is the one thing that I had. I knew, I knew, I'd lose you."

Moondazed

It's probably similar to the oil that is created by the process discussed in this article, which is called thermo-depolymerization (TDP).  I wonder if they're using the term carbon neutral in reference to the fact that it doesn't take carbon to produce the bugs?  I didn't read the entire article word-for-word :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Inkidu

I heard they'd been working on this theory for a while, If I remember properly it was 2002, at least. It's nice though that they've found it. I hope it becomes viable.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

QuoteThe company claims that this “Oil 2.0” will not only be renewable but also carbon negative – meaning that the carbon it emits will be less than that sucked from the atmosphere by the raw materials from which it is made.

This was the line in the article that caught my attention.  Unless I miss my guess (so not a bio-chem person), this makes it less polluting?

Moondazed

That's one of those misleading terms, because it will emit carbon just like other oil does, they call it carbon-neutral because the production of the oil doesn't generate carbon (growing the bugs).  At least I think so :P

Oniya

That's why I guessed less polluting, rather than non-polluting.  I mean, if you're generating carbon during production/refinement, as well as when you burn it, that's worse than if you're only generating it during the burning phase.  As I said, chemistry isn't my strong point.