AIs that make you want to hurt something...

Started by Inari, November 07, 2012, 02:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inari

Ever have one of those moments in a game where the AI is so damn ridiculous it defies all logic and leaves you feeling like throwing your console out the window or punching your monitor? Yeah I think we all have. So lets share the pain and tell of your woes here.

Mine is playing Assassin's Creed -

I am on the fifth sequence and by this point have killed quite a few people. So it is understandable that things are more well guarded and I have to be more careful in what I do. However, what has become so stupid is the fact I can't take a shit without someone calling me an assassin and chasing me around the damn map every five minutes.

Situation one:

- Gently push a beggar out the way while trying to do an informer assassination target, because she just won't fuck off and I need to stay low key to kill these people to get more information. (Not to mention 100% the sequence.)
- She makes me gently push the guards by nudging me into them.

"ASSASSIN!"

- Parkour the fuck out of there like a boss and lose them when I eagle dive into a haystack.

"HE TRIED TO KILL ME!"

WHAT THE FUCK LADY?!?!

Situation two:

- Just minding my own business and stalking my target again. Almost there...
- Drunk/Crazy shoves me into the guards because he feels like being a dick and can get away with starting shit...

"ASSASSIN!"

- Get cornered so have to fight my way out and parkour the fuck out again.

"OMG HE MURDERED SOMEONE!!!"

NO I FUCKING DIDN'T!!!

Situation three:

- I am being timed to kill a few people in three minutes.
- Killed most without being spotted because I blend so awesomely.
- Run and stop when I come near guards.
- Accidentally brush against one of them because a bandit nudged me for possibly stealing his daggers ten minutes ago.

"ASSASSIN!"

- Almost get cornered but just run for it.
- Everyone who I am suppose to blend with suddenly fucks off when I run to them to hide...

"KILL THE HEATHEN!!!"

You have invaded the land and I'm a heathen?

====

Yeah that is really pissing me off right now...  ¬_¬

So your tales?

Castiel

That was one of the things that really pissed me off about this game. It seemed the AIs were too sensitive. My husband was playing and he just walked by a guard and all of a sudden they started shooting at him and chasing him down. He was incognito so they had no reason to do that. It happened 5 or 6 times and I'm surprised he didn't snap the disc. D;

Inari

My rage has made me lose count the amount of times the AI has fucked me off in this one sequence. >.<

Castiel

Yeah. He did the same thing. He threw the control down, yelled, "Fuck this shit!", and went to raid the kids halloween candy. He was okay after he had gorged himself on Snickers and Twix.

Inari

Bet he was ill after. XD

I just sat there for 10 minutes cussing at it before putting it down and ranting. lol

Castiel

Sort of. Poor boy felt sluggish for a few hours. xD

Tsenta

Assassin's Creed II and onward are much cleaner AI, you don't need to slow walk everywhere/blend everywhere to avoid being detected.  Thing is though in Assassin's Creed Revelations, almost EVERYONE can run up buildings and jump on narrow ledges.  O-o
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

NightRabbit

As much as I LOVE Tekken Tag Tournament 2, there have been moments where I wanted to throw the disk out of a four story window. I was playing as one of my favorite teams (I call them "Best Friends" because their styles work so swimmingly together) and I was on the Ghost Battle Mode, where you fight characters at different levels and level up/earn shit/etc. So my adversaries are "Master" level which is one level above both my dudes. I understand there is supposed to be some challenge. However when I am lined up with the oppenent and I pull off a wicked combo of block-knocking fury, something should stick right? Wrong. It makes my punches hit but they have no effect. HE WAS WIDE OPEN and not blocking. Shit should have went down. Nothing happened. There is no armor status on Tekken. Not only did I lose the chance to unlock some awesome character art, the bastard AI hit me with a one hit KO move.

Koren

Oh this is definitely a good thread. Sometimes the AI coding is just a dick. I'll put forward a couple of examples.

I know this isn't really AI but game mechanics but it needs to be included
Resident Evil 4 - Ashley
"Oh, I'm sorry, you cant jump down that two foot ledge by yourself without someone to catch you?"
"Oh, I'm sorry, you run into the enemy because of what reason?"
Just generally everything but that was my own main problems with her for the most part, was that if you left her free to move around in a fight, she'd just stand there while someone took her.

Resident Evil 5 also had shit, shit co-op AI. Going through the tunnel that has all the lickers in it, I end up just taking guns off my partner completely now because others wise they generally just fire, even if I have them on cover, so they shouldn't fire unlessthey are being attacked, stupid fricken AI.
But hey, I won't doubt that if you take away the hangun, they can be mighty useful in a fight on hard with a good weapon.

Some of the glitches in Crysis 2 also got on my nerves. Sometimes you'd be standing right in front of an enemy and they would just refuse to shoot you and instead run away to take cover or get distance. This the humans of course, the aliens were mostly fine. And hey, concidering I suck at aiming, it made my life a bit easier, but STILL.

And Fallout New Vegas - WATCH
Need I say more.

On the Assassins Creed AI though, they definitely got a lot smarter in Ac2, but in AC3 its incredible.  The people are not only smart and interest realisticly, as well as personally to you, but the animal Ai is awesome. if a dog sees a cat in the street for example, it will run towards it and the cat will run off. :) Its rare to see but it was brillant when I did.
The only thing I miss is the spontaneous comments from people that you got in AC1, like when you're climbing and they would call you crazy and wonder what was wrong with you.

Countdown0

I like this thread :D

Well for one, if you ever played the original Starcraft, then you know how STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPID most of the units in that game are. You pretty much need to babysit them for the entire game or else they will get seperated one by one and die.

The AI in Heroes of Might and Magic IV is also pathetic. Even on the hard settings, they play like idiots, but even on the easy settings, they always beat you. This is because the design team apparently couldn't create an AI that could play the game properly, so instead the computer players get huge amounts of bonus resources that enable them to always have a army 2 to 5 times larger than yours, even if you control twice as many castles.

Then there are rival civilizations in Civilization V. My big issue here? If you make a city somewhere, there is a chance that, out of knowwhere, they will chastize you for taking land that 'they wanted to settle'. This probably isn't an AI issue so much as a design flaw, but they never let you know where they want to put cities, so you're going around, expanding your empire, and then BOOM! Suddenly, you've offended the French because you built a city next to their favorite patch of wheat.

In Fallout 3, my biggest gripe is your 'companions'. Mostly, this is because of their terrible habit of running in front of my right before I fire an otherwise perfectly lined up headshot, and then they eat the bullet and die, and I have to was meds on healing because the Deathclaw I was about to snipe got close and nearly killed me, and then people in towns are mad at me for killing my friend (the now-dead companion).

Aaaand... that's it! ... for now...
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

VenusEnvy

Dude I hear ya! In Oblivion I'd always enter the Dark brotherhood! So one time I was being all sneaky, unlocked this guy's house (at night where no one was around) crept upstairs while he was asleep and shot him dead without a sound. I leave his house and then suddenly the guard runs up to me accusing me of murdering someone! I'm like "WTH!!?!?? How did he know? There was no one around!" On the other hand I've been on the other end of the spectrum....

I think it was in the city Leyewin and I had to shoot this guy swimming in a pond. I do so with a guard in plain sight run up to this guy in full black, rob his ass and run away and he's like "HAVE A GOOD DAY SIR! Oh what a nice man!" T.T
"It's a very dangerous weapon to know what you're doing." -William Murderface from Dethklok

"It is important to draw wisdom from many different places.  If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale.  Understanding others - the other elements, and the other nations - will help you become whole." - Uncle Iroh

My Introduction -  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=157127.msg7203032#msg7203032

My Ons and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=157596.msg7228923#msg7228923

Braioch

Hitman 2 and sometimes Hitman Contracts

Doing your sneaky, wearing a costume, deadly assassin thing. You're not running, not doing anything suspicious and BAM, you're detected and welp there goes your stealth rating. Used to frustrate me to no end, I'd go out of my way to walk EVERYWHERE, (good lord that took forever on some levels) to not bump into anyone, stay a good distance away and all sort of things. To no avail at times, it was like the guards were telepathic and knew that you instantly were a fake and must be filled with lead.

-sneeze-
KILL HIM!
O.O

Skyrim

I ADORE the game, I do.
Fucking AI get in the way. Cannot tell you how many times the AI will leap right into my way as I'm swinging a sword, or when I'm flinging a spell. Can't tell you how many followers I've went through because of that crap. I must have decapitated Lydia like 30 times before I finally just let her stay dead and get a new one. Particularly annoying when they get hit by you and then yell at you.

-stab-
"Watch it brother!"
Perhaps you should have run in front of me midswing, Greatswords are not so easily stopped in the middle of the swing.

Had that same issue with things like....Infamous
Excuse me ladies and gentlemen, but when you coming running up to a superhero(villain) and they're shooting lighting bolts at a large group of people with guns and explosives whom is shooting at him...is it really wise to run IN BETWEEN this?!

I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Shjade

Quote from: Braioch on November 15, 2012, 08:30:21 PM
Fucking AI get in the way. Cannot tell you how many times the AI will leap right into my way as I'm swinging a sword, or when I'm flinging a spell. Can't tell you how many followers I've went through because of that crap. I must have decapitated Lydia like 30 times before I finally just let her stay dead and get a new one. Particularly annoying when they get hit by you and then yell at you.

Left 4 Dead's AI is the king of this.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Braioch

"Hey I'm on your team!"

-.-

Don't hop in front of the guy unloading a 12 gauge then!
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Saerrael

Quote from: Braioch on November 15, 2012, 08:30:21 PM
Skyrim

I ADORE the game, I do.

-stab-
"Watch it brother!"
Perhaps you should have run in front of me midswing, Greatswords are not so easily stopped in the middle of the swing.

Had that same issue with things like....Infamous
Excuse me ladies and gentlemen, but when you coming running up to a superhero(villain) and they're shooting lighting bolts at a large group of people with guns and explosives whom is shooting at him...is it really wise to run IN BETWEEN this?!

Follower + doorway = grrrrrrgfmblrgrrr.

Also, dragon spawning and killing your quest character. >.>

zemo8801

A nonstop downpour of frag and Semtex as you try to get to the person you need to rescue. 
Ons and Offs
DarkAngel  " Goof Ball "
Happy Owner of His Snowflake
Z crypt of ideas

NotoriusBEN