The Font!

Started by Amelita, September 04, 2014, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelita

So this is more a general question than an actual problem, but...

The font on the site looks different to me now than it did last time I logged on. Anyone notice it too? I like it, I find it easier to read and prettier, but no one I've asked so far seems to have noticed it and I'm wondering if I'm going crazy haha.

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Dotley

I've been wondering the same thing! I like this new font as well, but it was jarring to notice the change.
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Amelita

Oh my gods, you're officially my favorite person right now for noticing this too!  XD

~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~

Dotley

"Amelita's Favorite Person Right Now" has a nice ring to it  8-)

At first I thought I must have just hit a button on my keyboard that made the font size smaller, but to my eyes it really does look like the font has changed to something new. Wasn't the old one Verdana? Slight change but no complaints from me. I do like it.
O&O's || A&A's

Amelita

This one's characters have a tiny bit more space between them. That's all I can say for sure lol.

Elina

It looks exactly the same to me.

King Serperior

Quote from: Elina on September 04, 2014, 05:29:09 PM
It looks exactly the same to me.
^ This.....either that or I am not very observant  >.>

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: King Serperior on September 04, 2014, 05:39:13 PM

It appears to be the same.  The second quote is my retyping of the line above.

Geraint

Quote from: Dotley on September 04, 2014, 05:05:22 PM
"Amelita's Favorite Person Right Now" has a nice ring to it  8-)

At first I thought I must have just hit a button on my keyboard that made the font size smaller, but to my eyes it really does look like the font has changed to something new. Wasn't the old one Verdana? Slight change but no complaints from me. I do like it.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed, as I've made this exact same comparison before, with the same results (at least with Windows7 and IE10)

Normal font at 9pt

Normal font

Normal font at 10pt

The normal font in the middle appears to be like 9 1/2 pt, a relatively stingy font for those of us who don't have 25 year old eyes.  And that's the same way it appeared a year ago when I tried this.

Amelita

Quote from: Geraint on September 04, 2014, 06:07:44 PM
I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed, as I've made this exact same comparison before, with the same results (at least with Windows7 and IE10)

Normal font at 9pt

Normal font

Normal font at 10pt

The normal font in the middle appears to be like 9 1/2 pt, a relatively stingy font for those of us who don't have 25 year old eyes.  And that's the same way it appeared a year ago when I tried this.

See, all of those look new to me, just different sized lol.

Oreo

It looks the same as it always has to me.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Amelita

Okay, I found this here:

And for comparison, just now:

Ignore the difference in size, I don't know if I zoomed in to snap the first one back then. But, look at the curves of the characters and the spacing between them.

Oreo

hey look the same to me. Then again, I have Geraint eyes. ::)

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Dotley

Yep! I have the same difference as Amelita.
O&O's || A&A's

Geraint

Quote from: Amelita on September 04, 2014, 06:33:44 PM
Okay, I found this here:

And for comparison, just now:

Ignore the difference in size, I don't know if I zoomed in to snap the first one back then. But, look at the curves of the characters and the spacing between them.

This is interesting, because I what I see at the same place on my page looks exactly like what you saw on February 7 ... which is why I'm not seeing what you are seeing with post type.  Did you recently switch computers, or update operating systems?

Amelita

Nothing between last night and now, no.

The Dark Raven

The font looks different to me, but who knows.  I can't -tell- what the difference is, just that it's different.  It looks like it may have been downsized in point to me, because I had to take my requests in my O/O and bump them up a notch for me to see them, where the day before it had been fine.  (i.e., My 8pt font yesterday looked like 8.  Today, it looked like 6.5pt.  I had to bump it to 10 so I could read it.)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oniya

Um - This might be nothing, but I know that I've occasionally reduced my font size by accident.  Maybe check a Ctrl+0 to ensure you haven't zoomed out by accident?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Dark Raven

I know I have not, unless a ghost did it in my sleep.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Geraint

Quote from: Daylily on September 04, 2014, 07:40:13 PM
The font looks different to me, but who knows.  I can't -tell- what the difference is, just that it's different.  It looks like it may have been downsized in point to me, because I had to take my requests in my O/O and bump them up a notch for me to see them, where the day before it had been fine.  (i.e., My 8pt font yesterday looked like 8.  Today, it looked like 6.5pt.  I had to bump it to 10 so I could read it.)

Well normal font size was too small for my eyes, and still is (so I may not be able to discriminate too small from way too small), :o  which is why I work at 150% magnification on site.  ;) 

Beguile's Mistress

Also, if you inadvertently hold down the Ctrl button and move your mouse wheel you can increase or decrease the font size on your screen without realizing it.  I'm not seeing any difference though on my laptop.

Amelita

I triple checked that the zoom was at 100%.

Looking at the site on my phone now and it looks like what I'm used to.
Gonna open up the lappy to see if it still looks different on there.

...still looks different on the laptop.

As for what exactly is different: The characters have more space between them and they are wider in relation to height than what most of you all are looking at. If you look at my pics up there you can also see in the e's how the horizontal line in it is more in the middle of the character in the font I see now, and a little above the middle of the character in the font you are looking at.

But again, this is not really a problem, just something I'm wondering about since it definitely did change for me and I sort of thought I was going crazy when no one else seemed to have it happen too. Now that a couple of others mention seeing the difference I'm a bit calmer :P

Vekseid

Amelita